ADVERTISEMENT

Local recruits

GT74

All Conference
Gold Member
Jul 20, 2001
New Castle
Kradel's post-commitment reaction was a reminder of the unmatched love and attention afforded local recruits. Twitter blew up and local media articles abounded. I realize some recruits want to get away and some have other priorities, so they go elswhere. That is their freedom of choice and it is fine, but it sure is exciting getting a chance to see our HS stars repping Pitt and helping to get the program to the next level. Good look to all of them, and may all be happy with their choice.

Last edited:
Hopefully one of these days a lot more of the wpial stars grow up loving Pitt like Paris Ford.

One way that will happen. Pitt needs to win big games now and in the future

As I have stated before, Pitt is a great school, a world class university, and highly esteemed across the country. The education afforded there seems to be underappreciated in the area for some reason. I felt that JK's comments showed a better understanding of the great education one receives at Pitt.

Hopefully one of these days a lot more of the wpial stars grow up loving Pitt like Paris Ford.

Agree shere. They need to get to the next level, which will inspire interest and support and increase pride and loyalty to the area. Think Steelers, and now Pens. It is a pro town, but there is no reason to not have more loyalty to the hometown college team. Narduzzi may be the avenue to do it, and it can be done.

Yes but the jocks have as many as any group of marginal college students and choose their school for other reasons.

As I have stated before, Pitt is a great school, a world class university, and highly esteemed across the country. The education afforded there seems to be underappreciated in the area for some reason. I felt that JK's comments showed a better understanding of the great education one receives at Pitt.

Yes but the jocks have as many as any group of marginal college students and choose their school for other reasons.

What a generalized statement to make. You do realize that not all "jocks" believe they will make millions from their respective professional sports league, and some may actually desire a degree they can fall back on should their professional aspirations not come to fruition? Are you also the type who believes all college degrees are equal, even if they are from one of the many branch campuses in PA?

This is not a general statement at all. My comment says that the % of jocks not being serious college students is in line with other groups. Not sure what the 2nd question means.

Agree Shere, I love when highly rated kids want to stay here and play for the hometown team.

As for winning big games, well, noone had two better wins than we had last year. I thought that it might help propel our recruiting to a little higher level but, it hasn't seemed to help so far. We were really close to taking a big step last year but the defense killed any chances of that. Games like the North Carolina game we let get away, and the Miami no show, as well as the piss poor showing in our bowl game against a woefully average big 10 team did more to offset the two great wins.

The Duzz has to get both sides of the ball up to speed. When we become a complete team and stop letting ball games get away that we should win, things will change. Under Duzz, we have been adding depth each year, it is just a matter of time before he gets it right. When he does, recruiting will pick up and local interest should pick up as well.[/QUOTE]

This is not a general statement at all. My comment says that the % of jocks not being serious college students is in line with other groups. Not sure what the 2nd question means.

I'm not sure what you mean by other groups.

The second question was focused on trying to determine where your true allegiance lies. If you were offended by the branch campus comment, we would have known.

Kradel's post-commitment reaction was a reminder of the unmatched love and attention afforded local recruits. Twitter blew up and local media articles abounded. I realize some recruits want to get away and some have other priorities, so they go elswhere. That is their freedom of choice and it is fine, but it sure is exciting getting a chance to see our HS stars repping Pitt and helping to get the program to the next level. Good look to all of them, and may all be happy with their choice.

Well put. Interesting in Kradel's article his mom was reluctant about "going to school in the city". And this is a battle we face. Has anyone been to Columbus, Ohio? It is a city. Has anyone been to Ohio State University? It is an urban campus. There is such a perception amongst especially suburbanites about Pitt being this "city school" like all other schools are these bucolic, tree lined bastions of utopia. And that is just not true. Even some place like Michigan, and I love Ann Arbor, I do, but it is pretty much an urban campus, Notre Dame is a nice campus, but South Bend makes Erie seem pretty. I lived in Morgantown. And sure, you can go 5-7 miles outside Morgantown and be in the sticks. Who wants to be in the sticks? Morgantown itself is like a big New Kensington or Butler. It ain't very pretty. Pitt gets this bad rap from those child raping enablers and there are so many of them, it permeates the mindset of Western Pennsylvanians.

I am guessing this stuck in the minds of Miles Sanders mom and Mr. Wade too. And to be honest, I am sure their environs were a bit different than Kradel's, so maybe the parents wanted distance between them and their HS friends. But right now, Miles Sanders if he was at Pitt would be handed the keys to the offense, getting 20+ carries a game. Oh well.

Hopefully....some wins, some more success will change this. Pitt is always going to struggle for attendance, but this "urban" campus stuff, well Pitt is not as bad or at least not the only one as it seems to be portrayed when local recruits try to make a college decision.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
I just had this discussion with someone at work. They argued that OSU isn't in Columbus. Kept telling me they lived in upper Arlington and know the area. I said it's as close to Columbus as Pitt is to Pittsburgh. They argued and it ended when I referred to google maps.

Well put. Interesting in Kradel's article his mom was reluctant about "going to school in the city". And this is a battle we face. Has anyone been to Columbus, Ohio? It is a city. Has anyone been to Ohio State University? It is an urban campus. There is such a perception amongst especially suburbanites about Pitt being this "city school" like all other schools are these bucolic, tree lined bastions of utopia. And that is just not true. Even some place like Michigan, and I love Ann Arbor, I do, but it is pretty much an urban campus, Notre Dame is a nice campus, but South Bend makes Erie seem pretty. I lived in Morgantown. And sure, you can go 5-7 miles outside Morgantown and be in the sticks. Who wants to be in the sticks? Morgantown itself is like a big New Kensington or Butler. It ain't very pretty. Pitt gets this bad rap from those child raping enablers and there are so many of them, it permeates the mindset of Western Pennsylvanians.

I am guessing this stuck in the minds of Miles Sanders mom and Mr. Wade too. And to be honest, I am sure their environs were a bit different than Kradel's, so maybe the parents wanted distance between them and their HS friends. But right now, Miles Sanders if he was at Pitt would be handed the keys to the offense, getting 20+ carries a game. Oh well.

Hopefully....some wins, some more success will change this. Pitt is always going to struggle for attendance, but this "urban" campus stuff, well Pitt is not as bad or at least not the only one as it seems to be portrayed when local recruits try to make a college decision.
problem with Oakland is you got a homeless presence smack dab on campus.. it's not about the size of the building. Morgantown, your homeless person begging for change is a student or dude in his late 20s with no shame. Oakland, you got the prototypical homeless dude begging for change 200' from the towers, and there are more than one of them.. you don't have that element in Sandusky valley or Athens, ohio..

these campuses you mention, they are a college with a surrounding city or town. Oakland, is a city with a campus in it. major difference.. Athens, Ohio doesn't exist without Ohio U, Morgantown doesn't exist without wvu. Oakland wouldn't miss a beat without pitt..

Last edited:
Reactions: FireballZ
problem with Oakland is you got a homeless presence smack dab on campus.. it's not about the size of the building. Morgantown, your homeless person begging for change is a student or dude in his late 20s with no shame. Oakland, you got the prototypical homeless dude begging for change 200' from the towers, and there are more than one of them.. you don't have that element in Sandusky valley or Athens, ohio..
This is the difference. Brought the wife to actually tour around Pitt this weekend for the first time and she loved a lot of it and was even blown away by the Cathy, but no doubt that factor was not one she appreciated. Honestly, I agree. Columbus is a relatively urban campus, but they are much more insulated from those kind of things and obviously much more fully embraced by the city.

Slightly OT, but also, as has happened many times before, I had to complain to the front desk because they were selling freaking PSU pennants (and nothing for Pitt) in our hotel sundry 1 mile from Pitt's campus.

This is the difference. Brought the wife to actually tour around Pitt this weekend for the first time and she loved a lot of it and was even blown away by the Cathy, but no doubt that factor was not one she appreciated. Honestly, I agree. Columbus is a relatively urban campus, but they are much more insulated from those kind of things and obviously much more fully embraced by the city.

Slightly OT, but also, as has happened many times before, I had to complain to the front desk because they were selling freaking PSU pennants (and nothing for Pitt) in our hotel sundry 1 mile from Pitt's campus.
you have to get that filth out of Oakland, not sure it's possible with it being smack dab in city like that. homeless guy walking on a campus in farmland USA, cops can rid that away quickly, not so easy in our case.

Reactions: Jpripper88
you have to get that filth out of Oakland, not sure it's possible with it being smack dab in city like that. homeless guy walking on a campus in farmland USA, cops can rid that away quickly, not so easy in our case.
The mayor that is proud of all the homeless "Pedutovilles" proliferating throughout the city and blames Pitt for all the city's ills is certainly not going to improve the situation (though i can't say its nearly as bad on Oakland as I've heard and seen in the North and South Sides... virtual open air heroin markets).

these campuses you mention, they are a college with a surrounding city or town. Oakland, is a city with a campus in it. major difference.. Athens, Ohio doesn't exist without Ohio U, Morgantown doesn't exist without wvu. Oakland wouldn't miss a beat without pitt..

Au contraire. I was going to specifically mention the homeless people in Morgantown. I had one dude at a bar in Morgantown one time telling me how he was a secret agent and could land a helicopter in the middle of High Street, and all kinds of crazy stuff then the bartender came over and kicked him out telling him "I told you to not talk to the customers". Another guy I was talking to I thought was 45 and after hearing him and his timeline, realized he was almost 10 years younger than me at the time, that is how bad he looked. Homeless types love college towns because there is alot of waste, alot of cheap happy hours and alot of throw away alcohol. And Columbus Ohio does not exist because of Ohio State.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
Au contraire. I was going to specifically mention the homeless people in Morgantown. I had one dude at a bar in Morgantown one time telling me how he was a secret agent and could land a helicopter in the middle of High Street, and all kinds of crazy stuff then the bartender came over and kicked him out telling him "I told you to not talk to the customers". Another guy I was talking to I thought was 45 and after hearing him and his timeline, realized he was almost 10 years younger than me at the time, that is how bad he looked. Homeless types love college towns because there is alot of waste, alot of cheap happy hours and alot of throw away alcohol. And Columbus Ohio does not exist because of Ohio State.
dude, I spent 3 years in Dr Johns Lounge, the towniest town bar there ever was. It made Town HIll look like a 5 star hotel bar. my first time in there, I come walking down the steps from a sunny day and before my eyes could adjust, the bartender told me to "mind the body". nervous and underage, I give an awkward laugh. I go sit down, 10 minutes later, my eyes can see now and I look down and there is a lady face down on floor..

Second time I was there, dude bought the bar a round of shots, there were about 8 of us there. my buddy broke the rule and did the shot before the buyer did it, whole place screamed at us. told us the rules and made him drink a shot as punishment. it was then that I realized I was a pilgrim in unholy land..

dude, I spent 3 years in Dr Johns Lounge, the towniest town bar there ever was. It made Town HIll look like a 5 star hotel bar. my first time in there, I come walking down the steps from a sunny day and before my eyes could adjust, the bartender told me to "mind the body". nervous and underage, I give an awkward laugh. I go sit down, 10 minutes later, my eyes can see now and I look down and there is a lady face down on floor..

Second time I was there, dude bought the bar a round of shots, there were about 8 of us there. my buddy broke the rule and did the shot before the buyer did it, whole place screamed at us. told us the rules and made him drink a shot as punishment. it was then that I realized I was a pilgrim in unholy land..

Mugsy's was literally like someone's garage. You know who used to hang there? Our boy Huggs.

Mugsy's was literally like someone's garage. You know who used to hang there? Our boy Huggs.
I don't know mugsys/ you mean Mutts? they used to sell nitrus balloons right at the bar. like it was a bag of peanuts..

damn, I miss the days of being able to spend a whole day, literally a whole day at a bar, with zero repercussions, zero guilt. freakin growing up sucks.

There is a sad meth / opioids problem in Butler and surrounding areas. Someone should tell Ms Kradel her son is going to a safer environment.....

he said only half joking.........

There is a sad meth / opioids problem in Butler and surrounding areas. Someone should tell Ms Kradel her son is going to a safer environment.....

he said only half joking.........
there is a sad meth / opioids problem everywhere. sticks, ghettos, suburbs.. if kids did what I did, spent 13 hours drinking in a dive bar in Morgantown instead of this crap, theyd be better off. well alive anyways.

I don't know mugsys/ you mean Mutts? they used to sell nitrus balloons right at the bar. like it was a bag of peanuts..

damn, I miss the days of being able to spend a whole day, literally a whole day at a bar, with zero repercussions, zero guilt. freakin growing up sucks.

Nah, Mugsys was going out of town. Mutt's was in Sunnyside. I lived there not too long ago.

The mayor that is proud of all the homeless "Pedutovilles" proliferating throughout the city and blames Pitt for all the city's ills is certainly not going to improve the situation (though i can't say its nearly as bad on Oakland as I've heard and seen in the North and South Sides... virtual open air heroin markets).
If that is your impression of Pittsburgh, why do you think that any student, athlete or otherwise, would want to come here to attend college?

The Dungeon with dirt floors and Quarter drafts trumps all in Morgantown lore.
Went there on Friday nights many times. It was 10 cent draft night when I'd go, you'd get those raffle tickets. The floors were always wet and muddy. Weird.

That place was a dump. I stole a dart board out of there one night. The nice ones with the animal hair.

Went there on Friday nights many times. It was 10 cent draft night when I'd go, you'd get those raffle tickets. The floors were always wet and muddy. Weird.

That place was a dump. I stole a dart board out of there one night. The nice ones with the animal hair.
LOL - I was going to put 10 cent drafts. Those days were kind of foggy.

LOL - I was going to put 10 cent drafts. Those days were kind of foggy.
I gave plasma one time a block away, walked right to the dungeon with my 20 bucks. What the f*** was wrong with me? Talk about a sign that things aren't going well with your life.

I gave plasma one time a block away, walked right to the dungeon with my 20 bucks. What the f*** was wrong with me? Talk about a sign that things aren't going well with your life.
Oh yea - I knew guys that did that as well. Low on cash, give plasma to get cash for the bar was the solution.

Local players getting their peeps to attend games would be nice.

I would comp as many tickets as players wanted for family members/peeps.
NCAA rules prevent that.

Complimentary Admissions for Student-Athletes.
Four complimentary admissions per home or away contest may be provided to a student-athlete in the sport in which the individual participates (either practices or competes), regardless of whether the student-athlete competes in the contest. (Bylaw 16.2.1.1)

Complimentary Admissions for a Prospect on an Unofficial Visit.
An institution may provide a maximum of three complimentary admissions (issued through a pass list) to a campus athletics event in which the institution’s intercollegiate team practices or competes. Such complimentary admissions are for the exclusive use of the prospect on the visit, must be issued on an individual game basis, and may provide seating only in the general seating area of the facility utilized for conducting the event. Providing seating during the conduct of the event (including intermission) for the prospect or those accompanying the prospect in the facility’s press box, special seating box or bench area is specifically prohibited. (Bylaw 13.8.2.1)

Reserving Additional Tickets for an Unofficial Visit.
An institution may not reserve tickets (in addition to the permissible complimentary admissions) to be purchased by a prospect (or individuals accompanying the prospect) on an unofficial visit. Tickets may be purchased only in the same manner as any other member of the general public. (Bylaw 13.8.2.1.4)Complimentary Admissions for a Prospect on an Unofficial Visit. An institution may provide a maximum of three complimentary admissions (issued through a pass list) to a campus athletics event in which the institution’s intercollegiate team practices or competes. Such complimentary admissions are for the exclusive use of the prospect on the visit, must be issued on an individual game basis, and may provide seating only in the general seating area of the facility utilized for conducting the event. Providing seating during the conduct of the event (including intermission) for the prospect or those accompanying the prospect in the facility’s press box, special seating box or bench area is specifically prohibited. (Bylaw 13.8.2.1)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT