ADVERTISEMENT

Logical (Next) head coach candidates

sappycrease

Redshirt
Oct 12, 2015
Scott Satterfield (App St.) - young, head coach experience, successful in current gig. Also used to playing P5 teams and competing.

Brent Veneables (Clemson, coordinator) - highly thought of defensive mind, dynamic recruiter, acc experience. He will be highly sought after and expensive.

Kevin Wilson and/or Ryan Day (OSU, coordinator) - Wilson was successful at Indiana of all places, hc experience, dynamic offensive mind. Day has been impressive as standing OSU hc, offensive mind with ties to the west coast.

Any thoughts?

Reactions: H2P-2007
Veneables wouldn't come. He's one of those Kirby Smart, Jimbo Fisher type coordinators. He's going to go straight to a Tier I coaching job.

The App State coach I like.

I'd add Jason Candle from Toledo. Dynamic offensive mind. Ties to the area we need to recruit.

Lane Kiffin. I love everything he is doing. Elite offense. Elite recruiter. And willing to think outside the box in all areas.

Neal Brown. He's got Troy working. Beat LSU last year. Won 10 games. Beat Nebraska this year. Southern boy, probably holding out for a southern SEC type job. But went to school in the NE and lots of NE ties, so maybe he's willing to come to Pitt.

Dave Clawson would be really high up on my list. Love what he's done at Wake, love the offense he runs. He's a mid-Atlantic guy too. No idea if he would consider Wake to Pitt enough of an upgrade to leave. But if he would, you hire him yesterday.

Reactions: JSSTartan
Scott Satterfield (App St.) - young, head coach experience, successful in current gig. Also used to playing P5 teams and competing.

Brent Veneables (Clemson, coordinator) - highly thought of defensive mind, dynamic recruiter, acc experience. He will be highly sought after and expensive.

Kevin Wilson and/or Ryan Day (OSU, coordinator) - Wilson was successful at Indiana of all places, hc experience, dynamic offensive mind. Day has been impressive as standing OSU hc, offensive mind with ties to the west coast.

Any thoughts?

Scott Satterfield. Great Coach but check his resume: He played at App State, was an assistant at App State, now is the HC at App State. He's been at App State for 25 years. Might be a hard move , anywhere for him.

Brent Veneables, Pass. Dabo Sweeney is the guy. It's easy to be great when your 2 deep is full of 4 and 5 star players. Also, this is the guy who has a dedicated assistant to hold his belt so he doesn't run on the field? Again, Pass.

Kevin Wilson. No. Great Offensive mind. Need a Great Recruiter. Ryan Day - Not sure? Can he recruit?

If you're throwing those names in you might as well throw in Luke Getsy , Off Coordinator at Miss. State. Jim Tressel - He looks like he's got another 10 years in him and he knows how to win ( how the recruiting game is played ). I'd still go after Charlie Strong.

I'd even be happy with Fire Narduzzi and promote Charlie Partridge. Give him 3 years to try to fix it.

Reactions: BiggCliff412
Scott Satterfield. Great Coach but check his resume: He played at App State, was an assistant at App State, now is the HC at App State. He's been at App State for 25 years. Might be a hard move , anywhere for him.

Brent Veneables, Pass. Dabo Sweeney is the guy. It's easy to be great when your 2 deep is full of 4 and 5 star players. Also, this is the guy who has a dedicated assistant to hold his belt so he doesn't run on the field? Again, Pass.

Kevin Wilson. No. Great Offensive mind. Need a Great Recruiter. Ryan Day - Not sure? Can he recruit?

If you're throwing those names in you might as well throw in Luke Getsy , Off Coordinator at Miss. State. Jim Tressel - He looks like he's got another 10 years in him and he knows how to win ( how the recruiting game is played ). I'd still go after Charlie Strong.

I'd even be happy with Fire Narduzzi and promote Charlie Partridge. Give him 3 years to try to fix it.
Good points on the first 3 guys. Getsy is a very intriguing name. Still young and lacks experience, but I would interview him. Tressel is too old. No to Strong. And absolutely not to Partridge. He stunk as a HC.

Todd Graham? I hear he has family here. Also, he fielded a competetive team with garbage recruits that weren't even his.

Satterfield is legit but is going to have multiple offers so going to have to recruit him and pay him.

Campbell is not leaving ISU for Pitt, he will have bigger offers.

I like Day but he may be the coaching in waiting at OSU after this year.

Any thoughts?
One choice and one choice only JIM TRESSEL

Reactions: kma0043
9-27 Charlie Partridge?

One choice and one choice only JIM TRESSEL
He was my choice for AD. Seriously, don’t even joke about that. That would be so unbelievably amazing, such a fantastic hire... that I don’t think it’s even possible.

I think heather has done great, don’t get me wrong. She pulled a rabbit out of the hat in hoops. But while Capel is very good in his profession, tressel is best of the best elite. I don’t know why or how pitt could just land someone like that all of a sudden.

26-47 Kevin Wilson?

Any thoughts?

Seth Littrell is going to be a huge hot name by the time this season ends, but not a good geographic fit.

Possible opening at Texas Tech tailor made for him I would think.

I would say Joe Moorhead. Went to PCC and is a burgh boy. He's probably already counting down the seconds to leave Mississippi State.

I’ve crunched the numbers, and we need an offensive coordinator or offensive-minded coach. Why? 1) Statistically, they recruit better and 2) teams with offensive-minded coaches dominate the Top 25.

They also *slightly* have more G5 teams that are ranked? Why is that important? It shows that they’re able to build a winner fast, which is what we need.

Our problems are so much deeper than coaching. Anyone that would take this job would not be worth hiring. Pitt is in the bottom 5 jobs in the power 5. There are also likely a few non power 5 that are better. Serious issues need addressed before going after decent coaches.

No coach Pitt could reasonably land is going to make a difference. They all recruit about as well here. All win about the same amount here. So unless it is someone like Urban Meyer, it won't matter. Our best bet would be a coach considered damaged goods, like Tressel, but when the team loses to Duke in from of 30k at Heinz, his sweather vest will just look stupid.

Luke Fickell. He has ties to HL

Him I could see, but saying Morehead is counting the seconds to leave MSU is ridiculous.

FTR I don’t think Fickell is a great option either, but he’s the type of guy we would be looking at.
100% agree with all you said. Just thinking of realistic candidates. But I have faith in HL to make the right hire, if it comes to that

White flag. I give up. Let’s just do honorary coaches like dotting the i with the Pitt band. One week... Ditka. Next week, Fans vote on plays from an app. Can I at least have a shot at being punter for a day? I have eligibility left. And I can at least punt 30 yards. And I have heart. I’ll give some effort in the second half...

Reactions: clarks4life
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT