ADVERTISEMENT

Logical (Next) head coach candidates

You know who would’ve been a head coach and interviewed a while back? Mario Cristobal. Loved him when he was at FIU and is a great recruiter.

Reactions: Outdoorsman814
You know who would’ve been a head coach and interviewed a while back? Mario Cristobal. Loved him when he was at FIU and is a great recruiter.

Guy fell out of favor pretty fast and was a somewhat surprising choice for Oregon. He credits the time he spent under Saban with changing his coaching philosophy and it looks like he’s making the most of his 2nd chance.

Also Mrs Cristobal supposedly wanted no part of Pittsburgh.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Guy fell out of favor pretty fast and was a somewhat surprising choice for Oregon. He credits the time he spent under Saban with changing his coaching philosophy and it looks like he’s making the most of his 2nd chance.

Really? Didn’t know that tidbit about his wife. Interesting. And I assumed that about Saban. Resembles Capel in a way.

I also liked Oregeron, but has found his home in Baton Rouge.

Pay a nice salary and for asst, put up for a change , and see what winning can do for a fan base dying for a winner

Eric Kasperowicz. Former Pitt player. Could rebuild Western Pa ties. A little outside the box but hell why not

Scott Satterfield (App St.) - young, head coach experience, successful in current gig. Also used to playing P5 teams and competing.

Brent Veneables (Clemson, coordinator) - highly thought of defensive mind, dynamic recruiter, acc experience. He will be highly sought after and expensive.

Kevin Wilson and/or Ryan Day (OSU, coordinator) - Wilson was successful at Indiana of all places, hc experience, dynamic offensive mind. Day has been impressive as standing OSU hc, offensive mind with ties to the west coast.

Any thoughts?
No more defensive coordinator ‘s or defensive minded head coaches.

We need a modern day College offense and defense. On offense you need a high tempo vertical passing offense where you can get the ball out quick to your play makers.

On defense you need a attacking style defense where you are loaded with speed. How? By recruiting hybrid type safeties and linebackers to increase your speed ( watch WVU’s defense this year ).

The head coach at Buffalo, Mike Norvell, the guy from Appy st or Josh Heupel. All these names will bring Pitt into the 21st century of college football

After yesterday's game the MSU fans are counting the seconds until Morehead is fired. The offensive genius of the B1G couldn't move the ball against KY.

Him I could see, but saying Morehead is counting the seconds to leave MSU is ridiculous.

FTR I don’t think Fickell is a great option either, but he’s the type of guy we would be looking at.

After yesterday's game the MSU fans are counting the seconds until Morehead is fired. The offensive genius of the B1G couldn't move the ball against KY.

With a future NFL 1st rounder at QB no less.

As I mentioned in another thread we really don’t know yet if Morehead is a good coach or not. Mullen left a good roster when he went to Florida.

Also - Mike Jursyzk (sp?). He is the OC at Oklahoma State but before that played at Cal U and coached at Shipp. A western PA native who obviously knows how to torch the Panthers.

I will pimp for Seth Littrell at North Texas. He’s completely turned around one of the worst programs in the country in 2 years and is only 40 years old.

They will be favored in every game they play and have a very realistic chance at an undefeated season.

Doesn’t really work geographically, but that’s a lot less important than it used to be. He is going to be off to much bigger things soon, maybe as early as next year.

I’d be really happy if they went after OSU coach in waiting if pitt made a change,idc if he left 4 years down the road the program will be in a lot better situation

Jason Candle - went there and is winning at Toledo.
I like Candle.
What I am looking for in a coach in order
1. great recruiter- no explanation needed
2 Offensive mind- Needs to call his own plays and run his system. No TG who really aren't the mastermind behind the offense
3 previous HC experience.
4. If he has ties to the NE(PA NJ MD) it would be best- I think the chances of the guy coming here and wanting to stay go way up if he is from here or somewhere similar.
5 non white - Sorry I know this sounds horrible, but fact of the matter is most parents and black athletes would rather play for a person of color. It makes recruiting easier. We should be to the point where this doesn't matter but if you think it doesn't your only kidding yourself.
6. young- this is at the bottom because honestly it probably doesn't matter much as if he is a young guy he will move on after a period anyhow. So probably not much difference between how long a 35 year old and a 60 year old will be here.

Basically recreate the Capel hire. Guy who had some success at a previous stop, things went south for whatever reason(we aren't getting a guy who has a ton of success unless its at lower levels) he went back to a great assistant and looks ready to take over.

Even Gary Andersen won 10 games a year there. He's flamed out since then.
That side of the conference has been down right horrible. When Iowa is your top competition, you have no real competition. They play 3 crap OOC games typically 3 crossovers are the toughest games but you typically only have 2 tough games(at best) and a patsy like RU. Basically they play 8 or 9 almost easy wins and then 3 tougher games. Not saying Pitt could do what they have done even with that schedule but wisconsin has had good leadership for a long time and was able to take advantage of the realignment.

Reactions: PITTLAW

She's afraid of Duck Boats quack, quack?
-Just_Ducky_Tours_Inc-20000000002079688-500x375.jpg

And people who peddle themselves around in circles drinking beer?
tmg-article_default_mobile.jpg

"it's five o'clock somewhere"
Signed: Mr Buffett
Go PITT & CSU Rams!

As many as at TN were

That display of ignorance and stupidity was mostly stirred up on social media by Clay Travis. You have to understand, a lot of UT fans really thought they were getting John Gruden. Seriously.

It would be hard for Pitt to do much better than Schiano. I'm not ready to throw in the towel on Narduzzi yet though.

As many as at TN were

That display of ignorance and stupidity was mostly stirred up on social media by Clay Travis. You have to understand, a lot of UT fans really thought they were getting John Gruden. Seriously.

It would be hard for Pitt to do much better than Schiano. I'm not ready to throw in the towel on Narduzzi yet though.
Agree on the delusion of Gruden for that fan base. Also they clearly used his time at PSU as the lead for their discontent. However, to me it seemed like their reaction was similar to Pitts reaction on the Stallings hire. Confused, shocked and uninspired. I’m not giving up on Duzz yet either, but to say that it’d be hard for Pitt to do much better than Schiano tells me that your view is Pitt is in worse condition than mine, and you could be right about that. But I couldn’t think of a more uninspiring candidate than Schiano. I’d rather have a young up and comer. Just my opinion. H2P

Our problems are so much deeper than coaching. Anyone that would take this job would not be worth hiring. Pitt is in the bottom 5 jobs in the power 5. There are also likely a few non power 5 that are better. Serious issues need addressed before going after decent coaches.
Everyone said basketball was even worse than that. People literally said it was THE worst P5 job and worse than any decent G5 program. So was Capel not even worth hiring?

Definitely need to address a lot of issues, but it’s an ACC job, somebody would take it. If someone were offered a lot of money they’d take the job at pitt, Rutgers, Kansas, any P5 bottom feeder or middling program. Unless you’re getting a job at a powerhouse school all the P5 jobs are mostly only as good as that coach makes the program.

Brian Schottenheimer.....bring in a pro system from go-fer to the top.
Big time coordinators for everything...
Analysts, consultants, player psychology co-ordinators.

And a bigly big time boost in the recruiting budget to match any program in ACC.

Pitt may be nearing the breaking point again in on field performance and fan support.

Time to go big or go home.

Many of the high profile coordinators have failed as HC... Pitt needs to establish an identity and recruit to it ... I know I know easier said than done but play Pitt football and recruit Western PA and Ohio as the core.
The David Shaw Stanford model is what I’m referring to - unwavering system.
Head coach is for recruiting and style, coordinators to develop players, game plan and game day coach.

Scott Satterfield (App St.) - young, head coach experience, successful in current gig. Also used to playing P5 teams and competing.

Brent Veneables (Clemson, coordinator) - highly thought of defensive mind, dynamic recruiter, acc experience. He will be highly sought after and expensive.

Kevin Wilson and/or Ryan Day (OSU, coordinator) - Wilson was successful at Indiana of all places, hc experience, dynamic offensive mind. Day has been impressive as standing OSU hc, offensive mind with ties to the west coast.

Any thoughts?
Looking at our past 30 years of bad teams, bad recruiting, bad coaching handling from the AD and above, I can't think of anyone with any talent who would want this job. They will just wait for another opening elsewhere. I do like your candidates but do you think the truly would want to come here?

Dave Clawson would be really high up on my list. Love what he's done at Wake, love the offense he runs. He's a mid-Atlantic guy too. No idea if he would consider Wake to Pitt enough of an upgrade to leave. But if he would, you hire him yesterday.

How sad is it that Pitt may not be an upgrade from Wake.

Any thoughts?
A) Interesting.
B) No. Tired of career coordinators and definitely Defensive Coordinators.
C) tOSU has just "Jimbo'd" Day by naming him "Coach in Waiting" and Kevin Wilson has already struggled at a program very similar to Pitt's.

No more defensive coordinator ‘s or defensive minded head coaches.

We need a modern day College offense and defense. On offense you need a high tempo vertical passing offense where you can get the ball out quick to your play makers.

On defense you need a attacking style defense where you are loaded with speed. How? By recruiting hybrid type safeties and linebackers to increase your speed ( watch WVU’s defense this year ).

The head coach at Buffalo, Mike Norvell, the guy from Appy st or Josh Heupel. All these names will bring Pitt into the 21st century of college football
Norvell was already at Pitt once. He might be interested

Reactions: sherepower
A) Interesting.
B) No. Tired of career coordinators and definitely Defensive Coordinators.
C) tOSU has just "Jimbo'd" Day by naming him "Coach in Waiting" and Kevin Wilson has already struggled at a program very similar to Pitt's.

B) an earlier post someone (may have been you) highlighted how Venerbles runs a similar defense to Narduzzi. And he has also struggled at times against spread based attacks. It would be the Pitt thing to do to hire him as the replacement.

B) an earlier post someone (may have been you) highlighted how Venerbles runs a similar defense to Narduzzi. And he has also struggled at times against spread based attacks. It would be the Pitt thing to do to hire him as the replacement.

True, in that at Boise he was always a cover 4 guy like Narduzzi, but they did more 4-2-5 personnel.

At Clemson he is now doing a mix of cover 1, cover 3 (Saban style where you match up with men to defend four vertical threatsl) and cover 4 -- and uses more split field/split safety coverage. At Clemson it is a mix of 4-3 base with some 4-2-5 I believe. Overall it's sort of a mix of Narduzzi and Saban philosophy but with better players than we have; there are a lot of good calls when you have four NFL defensive lineman starting. More multiple (arguably more "complex" than our defense) but not like NFL level complex or anything; possibly a little more simple than Saban's defense? But if our guys are struggling to learn Narduzzi's defense, they'd really struggle to learn the Clemson defense!

Regardless, I assume he is waiting for a high level SEC type job.

Everyone said basketball was even worse than that. People literally said it was THE worst P5 job and worse than any decent G5 program. So was Capel not even worth hiring?

Definitely need to address a lot of issues, but it’s an ACC job, somebody would take it. If someone were offered a lot of money they’d take the job at pitt, Rutgers, Kansas, any P5 bottom feeder or middling program. Unless you’re getting a job at a powerhouse school all the P5 jobs are mostly only as good as that coach makes the program.
people are idiots. this isn't a bottom 5 power 5 job. SU,BC, wake and duke are all worse and thats in the acc. Indiana, illinois, purdue and RU are all worse and thats just the b10. Basically Pitt isn't a top 25 job its a 25 to 50 job however. Similar to NC ST, MD and other similar programs. IF Pitt was that bad a job they wouldn't have had 3 coaches in 3 seasons(not counting haygood since he never really coached) make bowl games. all of the above mentioned schools have been to fewer bowl games in the last 10 years and thats with Pitt having 4 different coaches who were able to do it. Stop with the its a shit job. Again its not easy by any means but if they are willing to pay a coach and his staff they can bring in a good staff.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT