ADVERTISEMENT

Looks like no ESPN for Big Ten

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
From the stuff that's out there, looks like the deal is imminent.

noon - Fox (A package)
3:30 - CBS (split B package)
Primetime - NBC (split B package)

I'm guessing games also on FS1 and possibly USA and/or CBSSN.

CBS paying $350 million/year for the 3:30 game. That's $25 million per Saturday but its their 2nd (or 3rd best game). Makes you think ND getting $75 million per season from NBC to stay independent is well within reach.

On the one hand, I like ESPN not getting the Big Ten. Perhaps they'll do all they can to pump up the ACC and SEC. They're getting ACC coverage at an incredible discount. On the other hand, no ACC school is turning down a P2 invite regardless of the GOR and Fox, CBS, NBC may want more markets if they feel the new teams add value pro rata.

I still say the ACC needs to add the best of what's left of the P12 and B12 to become the 3rd best conference forever, knowing eventually they will lose some of those teams.

From the stuff that's out there, looks like the deal is imminent.

noon - Fox (A package)
3:30 - CBS (split B package)
Primetime - NBC (split B package)

I'm guessing games also on FS1 and possibly USA and/or CBSSN.

CBS paying $350 million/year for the 3:30 game. That's $25 million per Saturday but its their 2nd (or 3rd best game). Makes you think ND getting $75 million per season from NBC to stay independent is well within reach.

On the one hand, I like ESPN not getting the Big Ten. Perhaps they'll do all they can to pump up the ACC and SEC. They're getting ACC coverage at an incredible discount. On the other hand, no ACC school is turning down a P2 invite regardless of the GOR. If they cant make TV money for 10 years, so be it.

I still say the ACC needs to add the best of what's left of the P12 and B12 to become the 3rd best conference forever, knowing eventually they will lose some of those teams.
If the ACC adds 8 of the best teams in the PAC12/Big12 would make a formidable conference and no team would have to leave imo

If the ACC adds 8 of the best teams in the PAC12/Big12 would make a formidable conference and no team would have to leave imo
On paper, that league would be as good as the Big Ten, but still everyone would leave if a P2 came calling. Nobody's turning down B10 or SEC. But a league with Clemson, FSU, Miami, Oregon, Utah, OK St, etc is every bit as good as an overrated Big Ten. The problem is midwesterners watch the hell out of Big Ten football so the quality of the teams don't matter. When Indiana plays Illinois, everyone in the MW watches it. So the TV money is crazy.

Reactions: gary2 and 303vND
I think it’s good news for the ACC. Isn’t it in the best interest of ESPN for the ACC to be strong and viable? Losing top programs would mean losing top programming for ESPN. I think ESPN has a vested interest in a strong ACC.
Agree

Wow. Fox and ESPN no longer would share B1G.

Going to be interesting to see if the B1G wants that 10:00 PM window to co** block ESPN. If so, they’ll need more than the LA markets and will add Oregon, Washington, Cal, Stanford, etc (maybe not all but some).

Gotta think ESPN isn’t out of this just yet though.

If this is true (that ESPN wouldn’t have any B1G content) then it’s incredible news for the PAC and XII. ESPN needs content. Even with them, they might be showing cornhole on the U at a 3:30 window sometimes 😆.

Reactions: Saboteur II
Going to be interesting to see if the B1G wants that 10:00 PM window to co** block ESPN. If so, they’ll need more than the LA markets and will add Oregon, Washington, Cal, Stanford, etc (maybe not all but some).

Gotta think ESPN isn’t out of this just yet.
But that 10 pm window would essentially be exclusive for usc/ucla home games. Iowa at ucla probably isn't a bigger game than most of the other pac10 aftern dark games. I doubt the big10 puts ohio state at usc at 10pm.

Reactions: fearthewannstache
But that 10 pm window would essentially be exclusive for usc/ucla home games. Iowa at ucla probably isn't a bigger game than most of the other pac10 aftern dark games. I doubt the big10 puts ohio state at usc at 10pm.
Guess I’m not following your thought here. That’s exactly why Fox would want more teams in order to have additional options for after dark window. LA markets alone aren’t going to allow for that….if Fox even cares about that window, but according to PAC talking heads, it’s a valuable window for ESPN 🤷‍♂️

Guess I’m not following your thought here. That’s exactly why Fox would want more teams in order to have additional options for after dark window. LA markets alone aren’t going to allow for that….if Fox even cares about that window, but according to PAC talking heads, it’s a valuable window for ESPN 🤷‍♂️
Oh..I didn't follow your thinking. So you are saying this will force more realignment?

Reactions: WVUinColumbus
You will never see ESPN game day at a big 10 location ever again. They won’t want to prop up interest in a game or league that they have no financial interest in. Look for Fox to expand their version of college game day

Reactions: Panthergrowl13
Oh..I didn't follow your thinking. So you are saying this will force more realignment?
Not necessarily but my thinking is that this would clearly equal a Fox versus ESPN war since they no longer share a conference and Fox COULD try and block ESPN from all of its coveted windows by adding higher quality PAC programs to ensure they always have the best “after dark” game.

Reactions: bayardstreet
You will never see ESPN game day at a big 10 location ever again. They won’t want to prop up interest in a game or league that they have no financial interest in. Look for Fox to expand their version of college game day
Just look at the NHL. The Pens and rest of the league were abandoned. You’d see Barry Melrose every other week or third week.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
The GOR is in place for 15 more years and leaving before even a few years left is a huge financial hit. Adding
Ore
WA
Zona
Zona St
OK St
Houston
TT
Baylor
KS

it’s fine to argue no team would be able to leave because of the GOR.

But none of the teams you list would move the needle and allow the ACC to compete against SEC or Big Ten. Every team in the ACC would have to leave, even if they couldn’t.

This is getting really boring. All I know is I hope these not for profit institutions have to pay their fare share of taxes.
Man, I respect where you’re coming from but I find conference realignment fascinating and can’t get enough of it….even if it isn’t beneficial for my school.

it’s fine to argue no team would be able to leave because of the GOR.

But none of the teams you list would move the needle and allow the ACC to compete against SEC or Big Ten. Every team in the ACC would have to leave, even if they couldn’t.
Your anger is getting in the way of good dialogue.

Wow. Fox and ESPN no longer would share B1G.

Gotta think ESPN isn’t out of this just yet though.

If this is true (that ESPN wouldn’t have any B1G content) then it’s incredible news for the PAC and XII. ESPN needs content. Even with them, they might be showing cornhole on the U at a 3:30 window sometimes 😆.
The idea that those 4 Pac 12 teams weren't evaluated with USC and UCLA is absurd. Of course they were and the Big Ten decided they weren't worth it. Its not like they now realize "wow, we need more teams for 10 PM, we need Oregon." Could they be in the B10 eventually? Yes. But not for a long time.

As for 10PM, Illinois, NW, Wisky, Min, Iowa, and Nebraska are in the Central Time Zone. Monday Night Football starts at 8:30 on a work/school night. Min @ Nebraska at 8:30 PM or 9PM local time on a Saturday night will be just fine for those fans.

FS1 can do 7/10:30 games when USC or UCLA are home. Throw in some 6/9:30 games when USC and UCLA are not home. There isnt a desperate need for additional Pac 12 teams.

Reactions: blair10
Maybe this is a possible B10 Saturday lineup (assuming 8 games, no byes)

noon - Fox (best B10 game)
noon - BTN
3:30 - CBS (B game)
3:30 - BTN
6:30 - FS1
7:00 - BTN
7:30 - NBC (B game)
10:00 - FS1

When Neb, Iowa, Min, Ill, or NW host the late game, the FS1 primetime doubleheader could be 6/9:30

That ACC deal isn't going to be cheap once Howard joins the mix. From there, you've got to think their sights are set on Delaware State and Bethune-Cookman. Can you really afford to play small ball with Ohio State and Michigan when you've got these out-of-the-box deals approaching so imminently?

Reactions: 4382
That ACC deal isn't going to be cheap once Howard joins the mix. From there, you've got to think their sights are set on Delaware State and Bethune-Cookman. Can you really afford to play small ball with Ohio State and Michigan when you've got these out-of-the-box deals approaching so imminently?
Bethune-Cookman is in a duplicate market but you might have something on Delaware State. Maybe Biden can get involved and help get the Hornets to the ACC. He could also get a gig as the Lee Corso role on ACC Gameday or whatever its called in a couple years.

I still think a major D1 HBCU super team would be a bit draw, whether its Howard or not. College football is unique in that it has "national teams" representing certain demographics:

ND: Catholics
BYU: Mormons
Liberty: Evangelicals
Army, Navy, Air Force: veterans and active duty
WVU: Inbreds
Penn State: Rapists

Maybe this is a possible B10 Saturday lineup (assuming 8 games, no byes)

noon - Fox (best B10 game)
noon - BTN
3:30 - CBS (B game)
3:30 - BTN
6:30 - FS1
7:00 - BTN
7:30 - NBC (B game)
10:00 - FS1

When Neb, Iowa, Min, Ill, or NW host the late game, the FS1 primetime doubleheader could be 6/9:30

Wouldn't CBS 3:30 be the marquee game of the week to go against the new SEC 3:30 on ESPN?

What other games is NBC going to show when they don’t have a Notre Dame home game.

Makes you think ND getting $75 million per season from NBC to stay independent is well within reach.
Makes me think that NBC fully expects ND to be in the Big Ten. Otherwise, ND can't ever have a home night game, since NBC will have the Big Ten on in prime time. They are paying too much money to put either ND or the other Big Ten game on a streaming network, if they give ND a separate expensive deal.

Weird times. So, so much money. We all love college football, but I wouldn't have guessed a few years ago that it would be worth so much.

The idea that those 4 Pac 12 teams weren't evaluated with USC and UCLA is absurd. Of course they were and the Big Ten decided they weren't worth it. Its not like they now realize "wow, we need more teams for 10 PM, we need Oregon." Could they be in the B10 eventually? Yes. But not for a long time.

As for 10PM, Illinois, NW, Wisky, Min, Iowa, and Nebraska are in the Central Time Zone. Monday Night Football starts at 8:30 on a work/school night. Min @ Nebraska at 8:30 PM or 9PM local time on a Saturday night will be just fine for those fans.

FS1 can do 7/10:30 games when USC or UCLA are home. Throw in some 6/9:30 games when USC and UCLA are not home. There isnt a desperate need for additional Pac 12 teams.
Of course they were evaluated. However, I truly believe these TV rights deals have developed since Jun 30.

Therefore, new information has been presented and it makes sense for those schools to jump while receiving fractional shares in B1G.

Unequal revenue sharing is inevitable and will be here sooner than many college football fans want it to be.

Would these be valid conclusions from all this?

-The PAC might be looking for a streaming service for its B games but will likely sign with ESPN for late night Saturday/Friday night games.

-Where does ND end up? They love the Saturday afternoon NBC time slot...does NBC shovel enough money to them to retain it? Does ESPN get in on it? Regardless...the CBS Big10 B game at 3:30 is going to go up against SEC A game & ND game. Am I missing something? Does, say, MSU-Minny draw enough away from SEC/ND to justify the investment?

-Does Fox and ESPN partner on the Big 12 again? ESPN has ACC/SEC B/C games for that noon slot but would still need content (that used to be filled by Big 10). Does FOX run a 3:30 Big12 A game?

Fox can’t wait to show the Texas tech versus Iowa state game at 3:30. Those ratings would suck going up against the marquee SEC game and a quality Big 10 game

Reactions: 303vND
I think it’s good news for the ACC. Isn’t it in the best interest of ESPN for the ACC to be strong and viable? Losing top programs would mean losing top programming for ESPN. I think ESPN has a vested interest in a strong ACC.
Been saying this since day 1. ESPN needs the programming and have a potential diamond at CZ prices. If the ACC starts to win these cross conference "marquee games" - the ACC is looking at a big payday in the near future.

ACC has 7 team divisions.

I would go real big, add two more divisions of 7 from the PAC12/Big12 remaining teams.

Then you can keep league play within the two eastern division and within the two western divisions.

Have a league football championship with the Coastal and Atlantic winner play and Pacific and Central winners play to play in the championship game, and all other sports have a 28 team playoff.

Makes me think that NBC fully expects ND to be in the Big Ten. Otherwise, ND can't ever have a home night game, since NBC will have the Big Ten on in prime time. They are paying too much money to put either ND or the other Big Ten game on a streaming network, if they give ND a separate expensive deal.

Weird times. So, so much money. We all love college football, but I wouldn't have guessed a few years ago that it would be worth so much.
Nah. ND plays, what 1 night home game per year. The B10 NBC package is the split B package. Some weeks, it will be the 3rd best game. NBC can very very easily move Penn State @ Iowa to USA that week so ND vs Clemson can be on in prime time. We're talking 1 game.

Reactions: 303vND
Nah. ND plays, what 1 night home game per year. The B10 NBC package is the split B package. Some weeks, it will be the 3rd best game. NBC can very very easily move Penn State @ Iowa to USA that week so ND vs Clemson can be on in prime time. We're talking 1 game.
I'm not convinced, but we'll see soon enough. ND hasn't released their usual statements about staying independent, which says to me that they are considering something different, whatever that is. Interesting times.

ADVERTISEMENT