ADVERTISEMENT

Lot to like in this one

President Stache

Heisman Candidate
Dec 4, 2010
- Defense outstanding
- Backups on defense look solid. Kancey looks real, not just against bad opponents.
- Moraga looks good to me. Nice hands, solid blocking
- Izzy stood out from the backs, all did ok though.
- Pickett played decent, scrambled nice
- Oline is shaky at best. The backup tackle is sssslllloooowwww
- overall this offense isn’t enough to beat almost any team on our schedule the rest of the way. But the defense sure is.

- Kickers back on track thank god
- If Twyman is on the sideline and all practices why doesn’t he just play? Not sure the personal situation, but geez we’d be one of the better defenses in Putt history if he played, and that’s saying a lot.
- I’m liking the wrs. They look far better than years back.
- linebackers seen invisible. Not hurting us though.

- Defense outstanding
- Backups on defense look solid. Kancey looks real, not just against bad opponents.
- overall this offense isn’t enough to beat almost any team on our schedule the rest of the way. But the defense sure is.

- If Twyman is on the sideline and all practices why doesn’t he just play? Not sure the personal situation, but geez we’d be one of the better defenses in Putt history if he played, and that’s saying a lot.
Linebacker Bright was all over making tackles and I thought Pine played well too. The long run, I don't know who's assignment that was. Maybe Ford

Reactions: 4Mark_Marty
Pickett is NOT playing good.

Am I crazy, or with mediocre QB play this game is a walkover? By my count, we left 17 points on the field because of the QB play.
im not a Pickett hater, but he has not performed up to a 3-4 year starter level.

He’s been bad. He isn’t the only thing that has been bad on offense, but he is one of them.

Reactions: W1np1tt and Mikefln
- Defense outstanding

Defense was most certainly outstanding. We controlled the line of scrimmage and put amazing pressure on their QB. The only negative was another blown coverage. Not sure what happened to Hamlin on that play. Looked like he had the coverage and just stopped running.

Our offense still needs work. Pickett was OK but not great. Another couple of turn overs. That said, he's under a lot of pressure, which gets to my next point. The O line is still the weak link on this team. Run blocking is bad. Pass blocking only marginally better. Coupled with the fact that our RB's are pretty average and we have no running game to speak of. I do like our WR corp. Lot's more speed than I can remember. Do we even play a TE? Can't remember the last time a TE made a clutch catch. Finally, our play calling leaves a lot to be desired. We have way too many series start with big negative plays that put us behind the chains. Pickett isn't the type of QB who can consistently bail you out if you put him in 3rd and long.

Overall, excellent game....the kind of game that past Pitt teams would have blown. Good to see us hang on to a tough win.

- Defense outstanding

Overall, the entire defense played lights out.

I like the potential in our WRs

Agree on Pickett. I don't know what the critics expect. He's not elite by any stretch, but he's a very productive college QB.

Really good win today.

H2P!

Good to see Stache and most of the regulars still around.

Reactions: President Stache
Daniel Carter can help the run game once he gets back. There's too much outside/inside zone blocking need to run their feet be physical.

What happens to Pitts offense in the second half? Only 3 points, nothing has changed from last year. It all starts up front

Reactions: TD_6082
It was a good win against a good but not great opponent. The best thing, to me at least, was that Pitt teams of the past would have lost by one point at the end. That kind of that just happened way too often. This year’s defense got the job done. They have been a sight to behold, at least so far.

Defense was most certainly outstanding. We controlled the line of scrimmage and put amazing pressure on their QB. The only negative was another blown coverage. Not sure what happened to Hamlin on that play. Looked like he had the coverage and just stopped running.

Our offense still needs work. Pickett was OK but not great. Another couple of turn overs. That said, he's under a lot of pressure, which gets to my next point. The O line is still the weak link on this team. Run blocking is bad. Pass blocking only marginally better. Coupled with the fact that our RB's are pretty average and we have no running game to speak of. I do like our WR corp. Lot's more speed than I can remember. Do we even play a TE? Can't remember the last time a TE made a clutch catch. Finally, our play calling leaves a lot to be desired. We have way too many series start with big negative plays that put us behind the chains. Pickett isn't the type of QB who can consistently bail you out if you put him in 3rd and long.

Overall, excellent game....the kind of game that past Pitt teams would have blown. Good to see us hang on to a tough win.
With all due respect I think Pickett had an eternity to throw the ball today; especially compared to his counterpart. The other thing that pisses me off about him is several of these drop issues are on him because he gets so excited and doesn't know when to throw a touch pass. He tries to hum passes when he doesn't need to and the receivers end up being the bad guy. He is NOT a drop back 40 times type of guy Mark Whipple!! Let him use his legs more, utilize play action deep shots and stay out of the defenses way. He is a decent college QB he is just not who Whipple wants him to be.

Pickett’s first read is never open, then the play design has everyone else running towards the defenders. I still think having a legit TE as a safety valve and a RB that can catch and run in space is the missing piece. I feel that what some perceive as bad throws are skilled throw-always.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT