ADVERTISEMENT

Louisville Game & Other Dribbles ...

DT_PITT

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 17, 2001
** 23 in a row was far too many.

** 33, including the driving, winning 2, from #2 made sure it wasn't 24.

** I started with numbers, but will follow with emotions. There have been many, many bigger, and much, much more impressive wins by the Panthers at the Pete. But not too many felt quite as good as this one.

** And I can’t quite remember the last time I was this exhausted walking down Cardiac Hill to my car.

** This game deserves such a thorough breakdown, and I know it will be hard to do it justice. But the reality is that our Panthers really should have won this one comfortably. If it wasn’t for a ridiculous performance at the foul line, they almost certainly would have.

** But for this night, it’s equally ridiculous to dwell on anything the Panthers didn’t do well, regardless if we won by 3 or 30.

** Of all the things that were impressive about this game, perhaps what was most pleasing was the significant improvement in the key teamwork aspects that cursed them against the Tar Heels just four days ago.

** A case could be made that the Panthers won this game with a tremendous first half defensive performance, holding the Cards to 31% shooting and forcing 10 turnovers.

** In this half, defensive pressure and rotations off the ball made all of the difference.

** It was inevitable that we couldn’t defend the Cards the same way in the second half. Foul attrition and depth were as much a culprit as anything.

** There are times when an opponent just can’t be stopped, and it’s during those times, the only way to deal with it is to keep scoring. That’s what the Panthers were able to do in the second half.

** Another huge difference from the UNC game was the Panthers ability create offense with the dribble drive, instead of an often futile fling at the hoop.

** As evidence, when the Cards cut the Panther lead to 3 points with 8 minutes to go, there were six assists on the Panther final eight field goals, with the only exceptions being Xavier’s two 3’s. That’s moving the ball when it matters.

** And speaking about playing when it matters, Terrell Brown scored all 11 of his points in the second half, including 9 in a brilliant four minute stretch. This is exactly the extra gear we’ve been hoping to see from the Big Fella, and a huge congrats to him for an absolute winning effort in the second half.

** An under-the-radar amazing performance was rung up by Xavier in the second half and overtime, when he was able to stay on the floor for all 25 minutes without a single foul, after picking up 3 in the first half. Of course, in that same time frame, he scored 17 with 7 assists. Simply brilliant!

** In this game, everyone deserves mention because everyone’s contributions mattered. This included a big three by Kham, some tough catch and finishes by Kene, a game ending rebound while playing the five by Malik, fiestly defense from Au’Diese, and timely shooting to fuel the fire by Jared.

** All of this leads back to the historic night by Trey. Of all of the contributions Trey made, perhaps the most important was the confidence he provided that was able to charge up each of his teammates.

** While we were marveling at shot after shot Trey put through the hoop, just as critical was the work he did on the other end. A point of note I found especially pleasing was his tremendous quickness guarding the 2-3 zone, when he was able to slide to help at the foul but them shoot out to guard the deep three shooter.

** Also noteworthy was the simple math of how he followed up an unconscious first half of scoring with a very efficient offensive second half.

** But of all things Trey did this day, it was something that didn’t happen in the game that I may have liked most of all. When the Panthers came out for second have warm ups, instead of taking the typical lay ins in the layup line, Trey would dribble to the foul line a take a foul shot. He took several more foul shots before retiring to the huddle. So in other words, after scoring 20, he was concerned most with the one thing he didn’t do well.

** What must also be said about Trey, and all of our Panthers really, is that each every ounce of energy was left of the court.

** Let’s close the night with a deeply enthusiastic congratulations to Coach Capel for his first ACC win with the Panthers. He pushed so many of the right buttons in this single game, of course. But the bigger picture is that we got a much better look at what Jeff Capel Ball looks like tonight. And to me, Jeff Capel Ball looks pretty darned good!

** On other days, we can talk about what this game means for our Panther’s prospects for the reminder of the season. On this night, I’m simply and extraordinary thrilled that the Panthers are 1-0 in League play over the last 24 hours.

** Great Job Men, and THANK YOU for providing your fans with this great night!

** I started with numbers, but will follow with emotions. There have been many, many bigger, and much, much more impressive wins by the Panthers at the Pete. But not too many felt quite as good as this one.

** And I can’t quite remember the last time I was this exhausted walking down Cardiac Hill to my car.

** This game deserves such a thorough breakdown, and I know it will be hard to do it justice. But the reality is that our Panther really should have won this one comfortably. If it wasn’t for a ridiculous performance at the foul line, they almost certainly would have.

** But for this night, it’s equally ridiculous to dwell on anything the Panthers didn’t do well, regardless if we won by 3 or 30.

** Of all the things that were impressive about this game, perhaps what was most pleasing was the significant improvement in the key teamwork aspects that cursed them against the Tar Heels just four days ago.

** A case could be made that the Panthers won this game with a tremendous first half defensive performance, holding the Cards to 31% shooting and 10 turnovers.

** In this half, defensive pressure and rotations off the ball made all of the difference.

** It was inevitable that we couldn’t defend the Cards the same way in the second half. Foul attrition and depth were as much a culprit as anything.

** There are times when an opponent just can’t be stopped, and it’s during those times, the only way to deal with it is to keep scoring. That’s what the Panthers were able to do in the second half.

** Another huge difference from the UNC game was the Panthers ability create offense with the dribble drive, instead of an often futile fling at the hoop.

** As evidence, when the Cards cut the Panther lead to 3 points with 8 minutes to go, there were assists on the Panther final eight field goals, with the only exceptions being Xavier’s two 3’s. That’s moving the ball when it matters.

** And speaking about playing when it matters, Terrell Brown scored all 11 of his points in the second half, including 9 in a brilliant four minute stretch. This is exactly the extra gear we’ve been hoping to see from the Big Fella, and a huge congrats to him for an absolute winning effort in the second half.

** Another under the radar amazing performance was rung up by Xavier in the second half and overtime, when he was stay on the floor for all 25 minutes without a single foul, after picking up 3 in the first half. Of course, in that same time frame, he scored 17 with 7 assists. Simply brilliant!

** In this game, everyone deserves mention because everyone’s contributions mattered. This included a big three by Kham, some tough catch and finishes by Kene, a game ending rebound while playing the five by Malik, fiestly defense from Au’Diese, and timely shooting to fuel the fire by Jared.

** All of this leads back to an historic night by Trey. Of all of the contributions Trey made, perhaps the most important was the confidence that was able to charge up each of his teammates.

** While we were marveling at shot after shot Trey put through the hoop, just as critical was the work he did on the other end. A point of note I found especially pleasing was his tremendous quickness guarding the 2-3 zone, when he was able to slide to help at the foul but them shoot out to guard the deep three shooter.

** Also noteworthy was the simple math of how he followed up an unconscious first half of scoring with a very efficient offensive second half.

** But of all things Trey did this day, it was something that didn’t happen in the game that I may have liked most of all. When the Panthers came out for second have warm ups, instead of taking the typical lay ins in the layup line, Trey would dribble to the foul line a take a foul shot. He took several more foul shots before retiring to the huddle. So in other words, after scoring 20, he was concerned most with the one thing he didn’t do well.

** What must also be said about Trey, and all of our Panthers really, is that each every ounce of energy was left of the court.

** Let’s close the night with a deeply enthusiastic congratulations to Coach Capel for his first ACC win. He pushed so many of the right buttons in this single game, of course. But the bigger picture is that we got a much better look at what Jeff Capel Ball looks like tonight. And to me, Jeff Capel Ball looks pretty darned good!

** On other days, we can talk about what this game means for our Panther’s prospects for the reminder of the season. On this night, I’m simply and extraordinary thrilled the Panthers are 1-0 in League play over the last 24 hours.

** Great Job Men, and THANK YOU!
Only thing I can add: I thought the officials were great tonight as well.

Only thing I can add: I thought the officials were great tonight as well.

Ha ... figures ... I was ready to smack them. I've grown tired of the offensive foul call on the ball screen. It seems like it's getting ridiculous. But I suppose they called it the same both ways.

Reactions: Pitt5593
Ha ... figures ... I was ready to smack them. I've grown tired of the offensive foul call on the ball screen. It seems like it's getting ridiculous. But I suppose they called it the same both ways.
On the last Louisville shot by Nwora, I thought I sawMcMahon pushing forward like crazy to get him room.

That was my only complaint in the entire game and you know I love to complain about officials.

On the last Louisville shot by Nwora, I thought I sawMcMahon pushing forward like crazy to get him room.

That was my only complaint in the entire game and you know I love to complain about officials.

They called 50 fouls. That's about 10 above average.

They called 50 fouls. That's about 10 above average.
The whistle happy refs were a big advantage for Louisville because they had so much more depth. That and the atrocious free throw shooting by the usually above average Panthers makes one wonder if Pitt really is the better of those two teams, and it wasn’t really an upset tonigh. It will be interesting to see what happens when they meet in Louisville.

Reactions: Pitt5593

I thought they were god awful both ways..so many touch and phantom fouls.

Trey’s second foul was ridiculous...played great defense and was getting elbowed and he got called. I also thought the double foul was absurd...how do you commit a foul if you are flagrantly fouled?

Reactions: lilspainishflea
Great to read these excellent Dribbles after an ACC conference win — been a long time. And breaking the streak — actually a couple of streaks - against Louisville was icing on the cake...

So many key shots, but was any bigger than X’s answer-three at the beginning of OT? Huge!

Go Pitt.

I love the way this team plays. Attack, attack, attack ! no let up. Louisville makes some great offensive plays, Pitt is on the fastbreak the other way attacking the hoop. No running down the shot clock and throwing up a prayer before the clock runs out. defensively, we pressure the ball like never before. this is a really fun team ! Wait until they get more talent ! Trey/XJ were unbelievable. the rest of the team played well. I Loved the way Brown played tonight, that is the biggest piece of what could take this team up a level if he can do that consistently. You see him improving almost game to game.

They blew their whistles far too often in my opinion. Hard for a game to get into a good flow when the whistles just won't stop.
The whistles will stop when teams stop making stupid personal fouls.

The referees were consistent, both ways, the entire game. That's what you want if you are a coach or a player. It's up to you to adjust to how tight the referees are calling the game.

Coach Capel will teach our young team to play smarter, more disciplined defense. Our lack of depth requires that this lesson be learned soon if the Panthers hope to be competitive in ACC play.

If there is a silver lining to the Louisville game, it's that several players learned to stay on the court and finish the game despite having 3 or 4 personal fouls. Because of that, Pitt was victorious.

Even Dan Bonner last night on the telecast was getting tired of the officials. I am tired of this also "point of emphasis" crap......because they are making a sport that it waning in some respects in popularity to the NBA's continuing increase in popularity and slowing it down even more. It is ridiculous the number of fouls being called, it is ridiculous the quorums held on every close play.

Let the kids play!

Are you serious?
They were preposterous.

I rarely complain about refs- but the whistled everything just out of anticipation.
Bingo! That's it. I yelled at the TV that very same. "Stop guessing!" They were guessing fouls instead of seeing fouls then appropriately calling them.

This was really enjoyable but exhausting.

The kiddie backcourt, I mean, wow. McGowens reminds me a lot of Vonteego Cummings. XJ reminds me a lot of Kyle Lowery. In talent, size, physical attributes, etc... I'll take that. The only downside is I am wondering if their upward trajectory takes them out of here earlier than we would like.

I think a huge takeaway is Terrell Brown may be starting to find himself and can become more than a serviceable player at this level.

This was so needed. To have this work, so hard, and to not win could have been reaching. But to win, has to give this team some confidence, also justifies the turnaround to potential recruits, energizes the fanbase and really a positive, such a needed positive shot in the arm.

Man oh man, coaching matters. In college sports, you don't skimp on coaching.

The last one on Brown when shown on replay looked a little questionable to me watching on TV--but, I don't know how the officials are trained on this call. His feet seemed completely stopped before he moved again. The upper body wasn't stationary, however. So maybe they are trained to require an absolutely still body?

The last one on Brown when shown on replay looked a little questionable to me watching on TV--but, I don't know how the officials are trained on this call. His feet seemed completely stopped before he moved again. The upper body wasn't stationary, however. So maybe they are trained to require an absolutely still body?
The only replay I saw was quick look on the Pete scoreboard and it even looked to me like his upper body moved because the defender ran into him.

This was really enjoyable but exhausting.

The kiddie backcourt, I mean, wow. McGowens reminds me a lot of Vonteego Cummings. XJ reminds me a lot of Kyle Lowery. In talent, size, physical attributes, etc... I'll take that. The only downside is I am wondering if their upward trajectory takes them out of here earlier than we would like.

I think a huge takeaway is Terrell Brown may be starting to find himself and can become more than a serviceable player at this level.

This was so needed. To have this work, so hard, and to not win could have been reaching. But to win, has to give this team some confidence, also justifies the turnaround to potential recruits, energizes the fanbase and really a positive, such a needed positive shot in the arm.

Man oh man, coaching matters. In college sports, you don't skimp on coaching.
I know that I will be in the minority on this subject. I am so sick and tired of Instant replay. Last night, there were several times when it took five minutes to make a call. After all the scrutiny, many times it is questionable whether the proper call has been made. Let the officials make the call. That is what is they are getting paid for. It is getting beyond ridiculous with them seemingly leaning on going to the monitor.

Reactions: Protes
I know that I will be in the minority on this subject. I am so sick and tired of Instant replay. Last night, there were several times when it took five minutes to make a call. After all the scrutiny, many times it is questionable whether the proper call has been made. Let the officials make the call. That is what is they are getting paid for. It is getting beyond ridiculous with them seemingly leaning on going to the monitor.
I hate how the overuse of instant replay has negatively impacted the flow and momentum of a game (in all sports).

That being said, those extended delays in the Louisville game afforded Pitt's thin on depth basketball team extra opportunities to catch their breaths and rest, an important factor in a game that extended into overtime.

The only replay I saw was quick look on the Pete scoreboard and it even looked to me like his upper body moved because the defender ran into him.

I remember that as what happened as well. So, It seemed to me he didn't move but was moved by the defender--so I am not sure he did anything to deserve the call. But, officials aren't perfect.

I remember that as what happened as well. So, It seemed to me he didn't move but was moved by the defender--so I am not sure he did anything to deserve the call. But, officials aren't perfect.

They will never be perfect.

The only reason I was harping on this call was because it was his fifth. I'm sure one could look at many of the offensive fouls calls on L-ville and question those too. But I never bothered to look at the replay on those because I was happy they happened!!

They will never be perfect.

The only reason I was harping on this call was because it was his fifth. I'm sure one could look at many of the offensive fouls calls on L-ville and question those too. But I never bothered to look at the replay on those because I was happy they happened!!
DT, I just think that refs now make assumptions and call fouls. What I don't like is everybit of contact that has some reaction by a player should result in a foul.

DT, I just think that refs now make assumptions and call fouls. What I don't like is everybit of contact that has some reaction by a player should result in a foul.

No doubt ... but like we said ... it's far, far away from any kind of a perfect system.

But in the end, I think it generally evens out.

Pitt will face 2 types of teams this year; Teams who can keep their guards in front of Pitts and teams who can't. Hopefully Bryce enjoyed his visit I've heard he will be better than Trey

Reactions: Bethlehemjohn

Simple idea: If you don't see enough within 2 minutes to reverse the call, the call stands.

Reactions: gary2
Live in Florida. Love the dribbles and hope this season is easier on DT than the last two. Thanks for all the time and energy you put into your work that give the expats a sense of the games!

Reactions: Noah Bonner
Simple idea: If you don't see enough within 2 minutes to reverse the call, the call stands.

I believe this in all of replay. 1 minute. That's it. 1 minute. If you can't come to a conclusion, then obviously the call stands. But 1 minute. Too much of these replays these guys try to find "something" like they are reviewing the Zapruder film. That was never the intention of replay. It was to right obviously wrong or missed calls. Not to parse frame by frame 50/50 calls where you can look at something for 5-10 minutes and still not conclude. If it takes longer than a minute, then the call stands, and it was just too close to call. Boom. Over. End of it. In every sport. These people of "getting it right" are off base, getting what right, that a hangnail may have nicked a ball when it was going out of bounds? Sorry. No go. 1 minute.

Reactions: Large Panther
I believe this in all of replay. 1 minute. That's it. 1 minute. If you can't come to a conclusion, then obviously the call stands. But 1 minute. Too much of these replays these guys try to find "something" like they are reviewing the Zapruder film. That was never the intention of replay. It was to right obviously wrong or missed calls. Not to parse frame by frame 50/50 calls where you can look at something for 5-10 minutes and still not conclude. If it takes longer than a minute, then the call stands, and it was just too close to call. Boom. Over. End of it. In every sport. These people of "getting it right" are off base, getting what right, that a hangnail may have nicked a ball when it was going out of bounds? Sorry. No go. 1 minute.
I agree. Overturn obvious missed calls and keep the game flowing.

By the way, I wonder how many people today are too young to understand your "Zapruder film" reference? :p

Reactions: Noah Bonner
Awesome stuff as always DT. Guys, let's also not forget when thinking about, writing about, critiquing the 2 young freshman...these 2 should still be Seniors in high school. Let that sink in for a minute.

Reactions: MajorMajors
In the UNC game, I thought Johnson made a few nice passes without being rewarded for an assist because the big guys couldn't finish underneath. When last night's game got close I was afraid he would try to do too much himself and drive recklessly. Instead he fed Brown and I think one to Kene for easy baskets.

Good patience by him and good coaching by the staff.

Reactions: MajorMajors
Are you serious?
They were preposterous.

I rarely complain about refs- but the whistled everything just out of anticipation.
Called about 10 too many moving picks. Rarely see that. And the arm tie up call was odd. They were playing basketball, why one got flagrant and the other just a foul was dumb.

Reactions: H2P 2003
In the UNC game, I thought Johnson made a few nice passes without being rewarded for an assist because the big guys couldn't finish underneath. When last night's game got close I was afraid he would try to do too much himself and drive recklessly. Instead he fed Brown and I think one to Kene for easy baskets.

Good patience by him and good coaching by the staff.
It worked last night, but I would not try to make a living out of it. Brown has trouble both moving to catch a pass, then gathering his feet.

Brown was good last night, but I would never at a key point in the game, decide in a timeout to design a play for Brown (or keep going to him).

Like I said, it certainly worked last night.

It worked last night, but I would not try to make a living out of it. Brown has trouble both moving to catch a pass, then gathering his feet.

Brown was good last night, but I would never at a key point in the game, decide in a timeout to design a play for Brown (or keep going to him).

Like I said, it certainly worked last night.

I hear you ... but last night It worked like a play we've run successfully 1,000 times.

As you said not the biggest win but probably most important win for Pitt. They blow that lead and lose everyone would have been down on the team. The media would have abused them, the fan base as we know are lunatic “pitters”. The team confidence would have taken a huge hit. Recruits would see it as a negative, and the ZOO probably loses energy. So in my mind winning that was absolutely huge, and now a building block, regardless what happens Saturday. Another win on that day and Pitt is for sure back !

** This game deserves such a thorough breakdown, and I know it will be hard to do it justice. But the reality is that our Panthers really should have won this one comfortably. If it wasn’t for a ridiculous performance at the foul line, they almost certainly would have.

** A case could be made that the Panthers won this game with a tremendous first half defensive performance, holding the Cards to 31% shooting and forcing 10 turnovers.

** As evidence, when the Cards cut the Panther lead to 3 points with 8 minutes to go, there were six assists on the Panther final eight field goals, with the only exceptions being Xavier’s two 3’s. That’s moving the ball when it matters.

** An under-the-radar amazing performance was rung up by Xavier in the second half and overtime, when he was able to stay on the floor for all 25 minutes without a single foul, after picking up 3 in the first half. Of course, in that same time frame, he scored 17 with 7 assists. Simply brilliant!

** All of this leads back to the historic night by Trey. Of all of the contributions Trey made, perhaps the most important was the confidence he provided that was able to charge up each of his teammates.

** Let’s close the night with a deeply enthusiastic congratulations to Coach Capel for his first ACC win with the Panthers. He pushed so many of the right buttons in this single game, of course. But the bigger picture is that we got a much better look at what Jeff Capel Ball looks like tonight. And to me, Jeff Capel Ball looks pretty darned good!

** On other days, we can talk about what this game means for our Panther’s prospects for the reminder of the season. On this night, I’m simply and extraordinary thrilled that the Panthers are 1-0 in League play over the last 24 hours.

** Great Job Men, and THANK YOU for providing your fans with this great night!

Thought Capel did a very good job last night. With a lack of depth and some very serious foul trouble he both coached and coaxed a win from his guys.

The 2-3 zone at times helped. He used it somewhat judiciously but it was certainly effective at times.

But the tactical move I thought was brilliant was going to the half court traps and also some 3/4 court pressure at times after scores or dead balls.

The Cards were going with a lot of speed dribble quick hitters even after in bound plays and that pressure seemed to bother them and slow them down some. Just thought the change of pace was a good move that benefitted Pitt and helped them to earn the win.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT