ADVERTISEMENT

Lucas Krull playing like ‘first-round material’ this spring

If the TE only plays like NFL practice squad material it's still a huge improvement.

Coachspeak. As others have said I’ll believe it when I see it. Look no further than how Capel talked about Ithiel Horton as if he was the second coming of Ashton Gibbs.

Coachspeak. As others have said I’ll believe it when I see it. Look no further than how Capel talked about Ithiel Horton as if he was the second coming of Ashton Gibbs.
I do get hyping up your own guys, but when the only 1st-round tight end prospect this year is Kyle Pitts, it is kind of silly to pump up your guy that much.

Krull also came to Pitt with a shoulder injury and his strength was not there. He then had his knee hurt early in the season. He has all the tools to be a very good TE give him a chance. Plus Whipple's offense needs a TE look at what the TE did at UMass. Best news was that coach Brennan said Krull was holding the edge against the DEs.

Krull also came to Pitt with a shoulder injury and his strength was not there. He then had his knee hurt early in the season. He has all the tools to be a very good TE give him a chance. Plus Whipple's offense needs a TE look at what the TE did at UMass. Best news was that coach Brennan said Krull was holding the edge against the DEs.
Nobody’s not giving him a chance. With TE being so bereft of talent recently he’ll get all the chances he can handle if he stays healthy. But it’s a bit hard to swallow that a guy who hasn’t done that much is all of the sudden a 1st round pick. I’d be thrilled if he was a 6th round pick.

Coaches motivate guys different ways. Some people respond better to a challenge, others respond better to praise. No different in business with employees. Knowing which buttons to push is important.

Krull is a big guy who can run. If he can catch and stay healthy he'll get his. In dire need of a weapon down the middle of the field.

I swear I think some of you guys think the only way to prove you're a Pitt fan is to bitch about any and every thing about the program.

It's like, you're given a silver lining and the only thing you can do is look for the dark cloud.

Coach paid a compliment (maybe exaggerated, but who really cares) and we (Pitt fans) have to list all of the reasons possible that the outcome will be negative.

SMFH.

He was my breakout player last pre-season. He looked great getting off the line and running routes. He was always open. Unfortunately he dropped everything he touched. I hope it works out. We could use him.

Like Petrishen recently, Krull just made the Narduzzi spring camp HOF, joining the likes of:

-Dontavious Butler-Jenkins
-Shocky Jacques-Louis
-Michael Smith
-Tre Tipton
-Ruben Flowers
-Charles Reeves

Couple of LOL gems in that article-this one was my favorite:

However, in his last full season as a starting tight end, which was his senior year at Mill Valley High School in Shawnee, Kansas, Krull had 52 receptions for 745 yards and 13 touchdowns. And with his help, Mill Valley went 12-1 and won a state title in 2015.

If Krull is able to replicate his success at the high school level at Pitt in 2021, he would become the most successful tight end of the Narduzzi era, which dates back to 2015.

LMAO-if he can simply put up the same numbers he did in Kansas high school football 6 years later at a P5 program, we could really have something. Now that’s some Pulitzer Prize winning journalism right there.

And this little gem of a quote from the Doozer:

“It came down to personnel. We didn’t have a tight end. When you don’t have a tight end, it limits you.”

Gotta feel pretty good about that quote from your coach if you’re Mimes, Moraga or Wright.

I swear I think some of you guys think the only way to prove you're a Pitt fan is to bitch about any and every thing about the program.

It's like, you're given a silver lining and the only thing you can do is look for the dark cloud.

Coach paid a compliment (maybe exaggerated, but who really cares) and we (Pitt fans) have to list all of the reasons possible that the outcome will be negative.

SMFH.
Tired of hearing the same old BS every spring only to see the same old BS every fall. For many of us it’s just that simple.

Like Petrishen recently, Krull just made the Narduzzi spring camp HOF, joining the likes of:

-Shocky Jacques-Louis
-Michael Smith
-Tre Tipton
-Ruben Flowers
-Charles Reeves

However, in his last full season as a starting tight end, which was his senior year at Mill Valley High School in Shawnee, Kansas, Krull had 52 receptions for 745 yards and 13 touchdowns. And with his help, Mill Valley went 12-1 and won a state title in 2015.

If Krull is able to replicate his success at the high school level at Pitt in 2021, he would become the most successful tight end of the Narduzzi era, which dates back to 2015.

LMAO-if he can simply put up the same numbers he did in Kansas high school football 6 years later at a P5 program, we could really have something. Now that’s some Pulitzer Prize winning journalism right there.

“It came down to personnel. We didn’t have a tight end. When you don’t have a tight end, it limits you.”

Gotta feel pretty good about that quote from your coach if you’re Mimes, Moraga or Wright.

All their articles are written like that. It’s entertaining at least. Even if for the wrong reasons.

Because we’re so set at every other position but TE?

We need a TE desperately. But the whole “we’re a TE away from being really good” is a point that gets made a decent amount on this board and I don’t get how so many people could watch the offense the last few seasons and come to that conclusion. Or maybe it’s the same poster making the point over and over again and I don’t pay attention enough to user names.

-Shocky Jacques-Louis
-Michael Smith
-Tre Tipton
-Ruben Flowers
-Charles Reeves

There's also a long list of positives comments over the years for players that actually did perform well. But, when you dwell on the negative, that's all you remember.

Last edited:
Reactions: doubleAA's
First off, its clear the kid has skills and athleticism. Wright was injured all year, and Morega looked good, but he came in so late, with these three I think we may actually have a good group if they actually stay healthy. Glad to hear coach call out a TE though!

Tired of hearing the same old BS every spring only to see the same old BS every fall. For many of us it’s just that simple.
Equally tired of people who profess to be Pitt fans bagging on everything Pitt and about everybody, all the time. For many of us it's just that simple.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
Equally tired of people who profess to be Pitt fans bagging on everything Pitt and about everybody, all the time. For many of us it's just that simple.
I've been claiming to be a Pitt fan for the past 40 years. I even claimed to be an optimistic one for about the first 15-20 of those. Frankly I wish I could break the compulsion. It's not like it comes with a lot of benefits.

I blame my mom and dad--being a Pitt fan was not optional in our household.

Last edited:
It’s getting to the point where the only way fans might actually believe the “We’re going to win more this season” crap Narduzzi keeps trying to sell is if he puts it in writing that he’ll donate half of his salary - if his team does not win the coastal this coming season.

Better yet, he should guarantee the team will win 10 games this coming season or he’ll pitch in $1 million from his own salary next year for new and improved assistants.

After 5 years of big promises followed by lackluster results that fall short of expectation he really needs to do something to show he’s serious this season and not just blowing more smoke - like the 7+ Pitt coaches who preceded him and also came up short on their promises.

Sadly, the only real winners over the past 40 years when it comes to the Pitt football program are the mediocre coaches who have been grossly overpaid for their inadequate performances.

While there looks to be some nice things happening on the defensive side of the ball, there have been just too many excuses over the years for the poor offense and final results. Too many issues that were not corrected. Too many poor assistants hired. Too many bad game day decisions. Too many obvious holes on offense filled with below average ACC level talent - all making it harder to win more. The ongoing subpar recruiting at TE, QB, RB and OL has been very clear.

This year, Pitt has

- a transfer TE who now looks healthy and legit

- a 5th year QB likely playing his best ball

- a handful of talented WRs returning

- a 2nd year RB who looks much improved

This is the year this coach delivers better results or shows it’s time to step aside and admit he just doesn’t have what it takes to be a very good Power 5 HC.

Last edited:
Well, the baggers are usually on the right side of the facts. I mean facts are pretty good to have on your side if you are to be called “bagging.”

Seems simple enough.

It’s getting to the point where the only way fans might actually believe the “We’re going to win more this season” crap Narduzzi keeps trying to sell is if he puts it in writing that he’ll donate half of his salary - if his team does not win the coastal this coming season.

Better yet, he should guarantee the team will win 10 games this coming season or he’ll pitch in $1 million from his own salary next year for new and improved assistants.

After 5 years of big promises followed by lackluster results that fall short of expectation he really needs to do something to show he’s serious this season and not just blowing more smoke - like the 7+ Pitt coaches who preceded him and also came up short on their promises.

Sadly, the only real winners over the past 40 years when it comes to the Pitt football program are the mediocre coaches who have been grossly overpaid for their inadequate performances.

While there looks to be some nice things happening on the defensive side of the ball, there have been just too many excuses over the years for the poor offense and final results. Too many issues that were not corrected. Too many poor assistants hired. Too many bad game day decisions. Too many obvious holes on offense filled with below average ACC level talent - all making it harder to win more. The ongoing subpar recruiting at TE, QB, RB and OL has been very clear.

This year, Pitt has

This is the year this coach will delivers better results or shows it’s time to step aside and admit he just doesn’t have what it takes to be a very good Power 5 HC.
I think Pitt fans will always support Pitt as long as Pitt doesn’t pull a Penn State and start raping kids.

But the hype has never been matched by the actual results. That wears on people.

Just to understand correctly, you are just as upset at people who complain about Pitt’s bad football results as the actual bad results that Pitt has in football?

Seems sane.

Reactions: cashisking884

This year, Pitt has

This is the year this coach delivers better results or shows it’s time to step aside and admit he just doesn’t have what it takes to be a very good Power 5 HC.
If he wins 9 this year that would be an impressive feat IMO and would go a long way with the non-believers. 8 wins would be meh but enough to keep him around to see what he does without a 4 year starter at QB. Anything less than 8 show him the door, no apologies no excuses.

For that 9 wins to happen, there can't be much of a dropoff on D, and the O has to be a whole lot better, starting with the OL. A couple of pretty tall orders. That O had beeter figure out a way to get the ball in the end zone a lot more than it has the past few years.

As usual with Pitt football of the past 30 years, the smart play is to keep your expectations low and hope to have them exceeded.

As for the Krull "looking like a first rounder" comment, we've all heard that kind of thing from the Dooz many times before. Doesn't mean a thing until the games are played.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT