ADVERTISEMENT

Major NCAA Rule Change that Helps Pitt Baseball

MattP31

Senior
Gold Member
Aug 27, 2013
The volunteer position is being turned into a full time paid assistant role with no recruiting restrictions for baseball/softball and other sports that have it. Starts July 1.

This is huge for Pitt baseball. Our volunteer is former MLB All Star Devin Mesoraco. Having him be a full time assistant who can fully recruit will be a massive win for us

College baseball coaches have been begging for another full time coach for years, if not decades.

Reactions: W1np1tt
The volunteer position is being turned into a full time paid assistant role with no recruiting restrictions for baseball/softball and other sports that have it. Starts July 1.

This is huge for Pitt baseball. Our volunteer is former MLB All Star Devin Mesoraco. Having him be a full time assistant who can fully recruit will be a massive win for us
Does he want a full-time position and all the responsibilities that go with it?

Does he want a full-time position and all the responsibilities that go with it?
That was my question. I don’t know that it means he would automatically be upgraded to FT considering he doesn’t have his college degree (at least I don’t think he does yet). Devin always struck me as a perfect professional baseball manager in the minors. He has high a character and obviously his resume speaks for itself. Either way, what a great guy to have around the Pitt program.

Not sure how good Pitt will be this year but excited the season is less than a month away now.

Reactions: W1np1tt
I think a rule that caps the number of home games a team can play would help us more. I was comparing the record of northern ACC schools to southern ACC schools. The number of road and neutral site games the northern schools play is truly unfair. When you are comparing season resumes and one team has 35 home games and another has 20, that is a significant handicap. Not to mention the revenue/expense differences. What is wrong with making warm weather schools have round robins at neutral sites to even that up a little?

Reactions: singregardless
I think a rule that caps the number of home games a team can play would help us more. I was comparing the record of northern ACC schools to southern ACC schools. The number of road and neutral site games the northern schools play is truly unfair. When you are comparing season resumes and one team has 35 home games and another has 20, that is a significant handicap. Not to mention the revenue/expense differences. What is wrong with making warm weather schools have round robins at neutral sites to even that up a little?

As long as the season starts in February the southern teams are always going to have a huge advantage. And since that's the way that the southern schools like it, it isn't going to change any time soon.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT