ADVERTISEMENT

Make your P2 expansion predictions

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Where does it end? 16? 18? 20? 24? 30?

Eventually, and I dont know when, I'm going to say the Big Ten comes after FSU, Miami, Clemson, and UNC but those schools would rather be SEC and though the SEC doesn't want duplicate markets, they also dont want the Big Ten in the south. So I'm going to say the SEC nabs FSU, Miami, Clemson, UNC, Duke, and UVa.

The Big Ten grabs ND (independence has to end eventually), Oregon, Washington, Cal, Stanford, and VT.

ACC, after losing 7 adds UCF, USF, WVU, Cincy, OK St, TT, Kansas, Colorado, Utah, Az, ASU, Baylor, TCU, Houston

Big 12 loses 9 and adds WSU, Or St, San Diego St, UNLV, SMU, UTSA, Colorado St, Memphis, Boise St

Eventually, and I dont know when, I'm going to say the Big Ten comes after FSU, Miami, Clemson, and UNC but those schools would rather be SEC and though the SEC doesn't want duplicate markets, they also dont want the Big Ten in the south. So I'm going to say the SEC nabs FSU, Miami, Clemson, UNC, Duke, and UVa.

The Big Ten grabs ND (independence has to end eventually), Oregon, Washington, Cal, Stanford, and VT.

ACC, after losing 7 adds UCF, USF, WVU, Cincy, OK St, TT, Kansas, Colorado, Utah, Az, ASU, Baylor, TCU, Houston

Big 12 loses 9 and adds WSU, Or St, San Diego St, UNLV, SMU, UTSA, Colorado St, Memphis, Boise St

BYU?

If the ACC grabs Utah i would want BYU.

In your scenario i throw out USF and bring in BYU

BYU?

If the ACC grabs Utah i would want BYU.

In your scenario i throw out USF and bring in BYU
BYU is just too different of a place and isn't good enough to offset that. If you have Utah, there's 0 reason to take BYU as they share the Utah market and BYU's national Mormon fanbase is overrated. Most Mormons living outside of Utah dont work their Saturday nights around BYU football.

If the playoffs are expanded to 16, then why would we have massive realignment? Teams like Clemson and ND would make the playoffs almost every year in their current set up.

If the playoffs are expanded to 16, then why would we have massive realignment? Teams like Clemson and ND would make the playoffs almost every year in their current set up.
The P2 want to make as much money as possible. And no team outside the P2 is turning down an invite with the exception of ND. These teams dont care about wins, losses, or playoff access. The name of the game in not for profit college football is to make the largest profit you can make so you can spend the money building 14K gold practice facilities since you cant pay the players.

Pitt absolutely needs to get political pressure applied to make PSU support Pitt's inclusion in the Big Ten. It was stupid that this wasn't attempted during the scandal when Pitt was in the Big East and PSU needed positive PR. Instead dipshi* Steve agreed to extra two games.

It means tens of millions more going to Pitt and the region every year. That's money Pitt can use to better support their athletics programs and facilities in Oakland, and eliminate the millions in subsidies that the University needs to provide every year.

Last edited:
Pitt absolutely needs to get political pressure applied to make PSU support Pitt's inclusion in the Big Ten. It was stupid that this wasn't attempted during the scandal when Pitt was in the Big East and PSU needed positive PR. Instead dipshi* Steve agreed to and extra two games.

It means tens of millions more going to Pitt and the region every year. That's money Pitt can use to better support their athletics programs and facilities in Oakland, and eliminate the millions in subsidies that the University needs to provide every year.
Will never happen in a million years. Pitt's best chance is the SEC or if PSU gets kicked out of the Big Ten for continuously harboring rapists

I don't believe Pitt is going anywhere unless ACC college presidents decide to ban together and fight the Grant of Rights deal.

I don't believe Pitt is going anywhere unless ACC college presidents decide to ban together and fight the Grant of Rights deal.
If Pitt or any ACC school gets invited, they say yes and then deal with the GOR in court. Even if it holds up and you have to pay half a billion, its still well worth it in the long run

- Notre Dame, Oregon, Stanford, and Washington to the Big Ten
- Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, and Utah to the Big 12

I think that’s all I can see in the near future unless something seismic happens to the ACC’s Grant of Rights.

If Pitt or any ACC school gets invited, they say yes and then deal with the GOR in court. Even if it holds up and you have to pay half a billion, its still well worth it in the long run
They not only have to pay 100 million dollars they also lose all revenue earned from sports until the GOR runs out and that's another 15 years and hoping you win in court is a long shot.

Reactions: sherepower
The ACC and it’s ESPN partner adds Oregon, Washington, Stanford, Utah and Baylor, Houston, Texas Tech, Okky st. So they have 24/7 content across the country for their Network. Which ESPN is 50/50 partners. Since Comcast has decided to carry the network in its cable package. A couple of months ago

Reactions: HailToPitt725
The ACC and it’s ESPN partner adds Oregon, Washington, Stanford, Utah and Baylor, Houston, Texas Tech, Okky st. So they have 24/7 content across the country for their Network. Which ESPN is 50/50 partners. Since Comcast has decided to carry the network in its cable package. A couple of months ago
If that happens, pour one out for the equipment managers driving from Seattle to Miami. :oops:

IF, and it’s a big if, B1G grabs ND, Stanford, Oregon, Washington, Miami and FSU (McMurphy and Dodd), then I would definitely expect UVA, UNC and Clemson to go SEC.

Outside chance (very outside) WVU and Oklahoma St go to SEC first since GoR is up before ACC.

Then, NCSU, VT, Louisville and GT go to XII along with Arizona, Arizona St, Utah, Colorado (and possibly San Diego St….I can see Yormark getting that market before PAC).

That would put the XII at 20 schools. Perfect number.

FOX is in total control.

Last edited:
ND, Oregon, Washington, Stanford, California, Pitt, Syracuse, Virginia to Big Ten.
FSU, Clemson, UNC, VT, GT, Miami, Louisville, Duke to SEC

They would be worthless to those conferences if the ACC still has the rights to televise their games. Why would the BIG invite Pitt only to have the ACC maintain Pitt's media rights? It's not like Pitt gets the money and has to fork it over to the ACC; the ACC gets the money, and it never touches the BIG's hands.

I still contend that the ACC comes to an end when the BIG and SEC conspire to each take four teams and dissolve the majority (and, by extension, the GOR). Just makes too much sense. Then they will cede from the NCAA, which basically means Notre Dame has not choice but to follow.

BYU is just too different of a place and isn't good enough to offset that. If you have Utah, there's 0 reason to take BYU as they share the Utah market and BYU's national Mormon fanbase is overrated. Most Mormons living outside of Utah dont work their Saturday nights around BYU football.
BYU went 5-0 against the Pac12 last year

On a micro level, the advantages of BYU gives Utah and to a lesser extent Colorado, a travel partner.

On a macro level, in a new world of "branding" with a national championship and reputation as a QB factory......along with streaming worldwide as the new norm, where Mormons all over the world can watch their team, I will ask again,

who offers more in your scenario? BYU or USF?

Anybody else want to chime in here, or will I go it alone destroying his idiotic statement?

This is stupid, predicting where 3-4 schools go might happen, predicting this HAS ZERO CHANCE of being right.

Does this mean you no longer think Howard has what it takes to be in the ACC?

How good you play football is meaningless, or else Rutgers would be in the Patriot League.
Rutgers is in the B1G bc of the B1G network and the NYC market. To quote Judge Smails, "The world need ditch diggers too".

My response was to a flat out wrong statement.

D87tM6.gif

On a micro level, the advantages of BYU gives Utah and to a lesser extent Colorado, a travel partner.

On a macro level, in a new world of "branding" with a national championship and reputation as a QB factory......along with streaming worldwide as the new norm, where Mormons all over the world can watch their team, I will ask again,

who offers more in your scenario? BYU or USF?

Anybody else want to chime in here, or will I go it alone destroying his idiotic statement?
Winning a fluke National Championship almost 40 years ago helps with "branding"? Who was the last BYU alum to start at QB in the NFL? Sure they had QB's put up big numbers back in the WAC days but that's ancient history and of the two BYU QB's to win a Super Bowl one of them was arguably the worst starting QB to get a ring.

USF offers way more to the people handing out money for tv rights, large public university with an expanding alumni base located in one of the most populated states in the country.

I predict very little movement. Playoff goes to 16 with the top 6 conference champs getting invites. Payouts go to conferences with higher rewards for those that advance further. Keeps the bulk of the money in the SEC and BIG, while keeping the entire college fan base interested. Conferences are going to not want to start shedding teams as each school knows it could be next. To add, a new team must be at least average in revenue generation, including lost revenue due to GOR. There just aren’t that many teams that can do this.

Let us allow this to marinate........

Ok that's long enough.

Dumber than anything posted by SMF this Summer.
Dumb! It's fact, if Rutgers get into a superleague over Pitt that's PROOF that how good you play is meaningless.

I like a merger of East and west coast teams regardless of Clemson leaving. Or FSU.
Clemson is one coach away from FSU status.
My reasons are as follows:
The APCC (Atlantic Pacific Coast Conference) can run a full skate of games from noon eastern to 9 pacific. That is 14 hours of uninterrupted TV. $$$
It also means exposure across the country. The big ten did a great job.

Winning a fluke National Championship almost 40 years ago helps with "branding"? Who was the last BYU alum to start at QB in the NFL? Sure they had QB's put up big numbers back in the WAC days but that's ancient history and of the two BYU QB's to win a Super Bowl one of them was arguably the worst starting QB to get a ring.

USF offers way more to the people handing out money for tv rights, large public university with an expanding alumni base located in one of the most populated states in the country.

That might not be the best barometer for the case you're making, haha. Zach Wilson went #2 overall in 2021.

This issue always comes up when the discussion turns to TV sets in the Northeast. Absent Notre Dame.....people in the NE are not tuning into BC, or Syracuse....they are watching Georgia play Auburn, or Michigan play Wisconsin.

So Tampa may indeed be a population center....but who there is watching USF football? Further, if UCF is in the mix under the scenario put forth by SMF....then why share the riches of Florida with another school?

BYU may not be the program they were under Lavell Edwards, but if in fact streaming is the future then the idea of BYU in this proposed league carries more weight than USF

its really not even close.

Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan
This issue always comes up when the discussion turns to TV sets in the Northeast. Absent Notre Dame.....people in the NE are not tuning into BC, or Syracuse....they are watching Georgia play Auburn, or Michigan play Wisconsin.

So Tampa may indeed be a population center....but who there is watching USF football? Further, if UCF is in the mix under the scenario put forth by SMF....then why share the riches of Florida with another school?

BYU may not be the program they were under Lavell Edwards, but if in fact streaming is the future then the idea of BYU in this proposed league carries more weight than USF

ESPN's deal for all the rights to USF's conferences sports, all their football game, all their men's basketball games, women's basketball, soccer, the whole shebang, was worth $7 million per school.

ESPN's deal for the rights to four BYU football games, and only four BYU football games, no other BYU home games, no basketball, no volleyball, nothing else but four football games, was worth $6 million per year.

As a broadcast property, BYU is worth a couple multiples of USF.

Does this mean you no longer think Howard has what it takes to be in the ACC?
I never did. I said it was a crazy idea. The only way I think it would happen is if everything aligned:

- ESPN thought there was value in a national HBCU program

- Howard was able to fundraise significant money from their famous alums and rich athletes, business owners, and entertainers on the vision of becoming the "BYU" of HBCU

Dumb! It's fact, if Rutgers get into a superleague over Pitt that's PROOF that how good you play is meaningless.
Yea, I don't understand that one. The Big Ten took Rutgers, Maryland, and UCLA. That is definitive proof that how well you play football is just about meaningless.

Reactions: kma0043
IF, and it’s a big if, B1G grabs ND, Stanford, Oregon, Washington, Miami and FSU (McMurphy and Dodd), then I would definitely expect UVA, UNC and Clemson to go SEC.

Outside chance (very outside) WVU and Oklahoma St go to SEC first since GoR is up before ACC.

Then, NCSU, VT, Louisville and GT go to XII along with Arizona, Arizona St, Utah, Colorado (and possibly San Diego St….I can see Yormark getting that market before PAC).

That would put the XII at 20 schools. Perfect number.

FOX is in total control.
There are honestly probably 40 schools the SEC would add before OK St. Small market and they already have OU. Pitt and WVU have an infinitely better chance at the SEC than OK St.

You keep up this notion that despite losing 6 out of 12 teams and replacing them with teams originally in the Big East, CUSA, and Mountain West, that the Big 12 is in some great position to raid whatever's left of the ACC. The worst of the ACC is better than the top of the new Big 12 based on money and markets.

For one, people in the NE arent watching college football, period. Its Yankees, Red Sox, the NFL, and weirdly, tennis.

Also, ACC eggheads aren't going to add a religious school like BYU. Its just not a place that the "elites" want to be associated with. Besides that, Utah already delivers the Utah market. Dont need 2 in Utah. Rather have a team in Tampa AND Orlando.

There are honestly probably 40 schools the SEC would add before OK St. Small market and they already have OU. Pitt and WVU have an infinitely better chance at the SEC than OK St.

You keep up this notion that despite losing 6 out of 12 teams and replacing them with teams originally in the Big East, CUSA, and Mountain West, that the Big 12 is in some great position to raid whatever's left of the ACC. The worst of the ACC is better than the top of the new Big 12 based on money and markets.
This ain’t 2011, homey. Okie Lite way better fit to SEC than Pittsburgh.

Last edited:
For one, people in the NE arent watching college football, period. Its Yankees, Red Sox, the NFL, and weirdly, tennis.

Also, ACC eggheads aren't going to add a religious school like BYU. Its just not a place that the "elites" want to be associated with. Besides that, Utah already delivers the Utah market. Dont need 2 in Utah. Rather have a team in Tampa AND Orlando.
Your first paragraph is exactly why Duke (very northeast type of school in Durham), Pitt, BC and Syracuse COULD struggle to find a home. They just aren’t “fits” to the XII like NCSU, GT, VT, Louisville and 4 Corners schools would be.

Lots of solid rivalries too…Black Diamond Rivalry, River Rivalry, Holy War, etc. Makes too much sense for those 20 in the event that the ACC and PAC get raided by the P2….which in the short term is a possibility, and in the long term, a near certainty……..I say “near certainty” because the ACC would join the P2 if they’re able to land ND. Just not certain that’s possible anymore with Fox pulling the strings.

This ain’t 2011, homey. Okie Lite way better fit to SEC than Pittsburgh.
Are you insane? Its about MARKETS. That's it. The SEC isnt adding a duplicate SMALL market already dominated by one of their teams. They would add Pitt, Syracuse, friggin BC, Oregon, Arizona, literally anyone before Oklahoma State.

ADVERTISEMENT