ADVERTISEMENT

Mali in FIBA U19 Championship Game

mike412

Head Coach
Gold Member
Jul 1, 2001
Santa Monica, CA
Upset France. They have been the underdog in every game and just keep winning. They will play the USA in the final.

No stats yet, but on the highlight video one announcer described him as “a force” the entire game.

Upset France. They have been the underdog in every game and just keep winning. They will play the USA in the final.

No stats yet, but on the highlight video one announcer described him as “a force” the entire game.
15/7

Team USA advanced to the U19 World Cup championship game after dismantling Lithuania 102-67 in Saturday's semifinals. Team USA will face Mali, which beat France 76-73, on Sunday at 1:30 p.m.

Here is a link to a lot of information and team comparisons - LINK

I want to see how well Karim Coulibaly 6' 8" Pitt plays against USA's bigs Evan Mobley HS 6'11", Reginald Perry Miss St 6' 10", Jeremiah Robinson Villanova 6' 8" and Trevion Williams Purdue 6' 9"!

Reactions: Drew1208
I want to see how well Karim Coulibaly 6' 8" Pitt plays against USA's bigs Evan Mobley HS 6'11", Reginald Perry Miss St 6' 10", Jeremiah Robinson Villanova 6' 8" and Trevion Williams Purdue 6' 9"!
What time is the game?

I watched the condensed version of the game on youtube. He played well against solid competition. More than ready to see action this year in the ACC. He moves very well and has hops. Motor seems good, not excellent.

Our big play has been so bad over the past few years that we actually have Pitt fans who think Brown is the best option to play down low. I'd be shocked if Hamilton and Coulibaly don't play major minutes. I like Brown...... as a backup.

This is great experience for Coulibaly and will serve him well. Don't see any reason why he won't play 15-20 minutes per game.

Reactions: Tonyt66
Our big play has been so bad over the past few years that we actually have Pitt fans who think Brown is the best option to play down low. I'd be shocked if Hamilton and Coulibaly don't play major minutes. I like Brown...... as a backup.

This is great experience for Coulibaly and will serve him well. Don't see any reason why he won't play 15-20 minutes per game.

I agree on the minutes but, IMO, they will be primarily at the 4 where he will be paired with another big at the 5, IMHO. Coulibaly doesn't have the size or back to the basket skills to play that role in ACC play.

I agree on the minutes but, IMO, they will be primarily at the 4 where he will be paired with another big at the 5, IMHO. Coulibaly doesn't have the size or back to the basket skills to play that role in ACC play.
What Big plays back to the basket in this day and age? You’re livin in the past man!!

Reactions: Drew1208
Honestly DC - offensive play in the paint is his best and most developed skill. Very advanced footwork, and a decent little hook teamed with a good face-up game. Kinda like a Gray/Lett hybrid.

Honestly DC - offensive play in the paint is his best and most developed skill. Very advanced footwork, and a decent little hook.
I agree - I think there was a whole lot to like about his work in the post in the highlights posted earlier. I’m excited to see how he holds up against the US’ frontcourt today.

I think a lot of people just look at his height and believe that he’s not a center, but there are a lot of teams that play at a very high level with 6’8” or 6’9” guys playing big minutes at the 5, especially guys who appear to have a longer wingspan like Coulibaly does.

Also, just from what we’ve seen, he also appears to be physically college-ready. His two years at Scotland seem to have done a lot for him in terms of strength and conditioning. Obviously he’ll continue to get bigger and stronger in our S&C program, but he seems physically mature - which is a lot more than you can see for a lot of big men at this stage.

What Big plays back to the basket in this day and age? You’re livin in the past man!!

You are taking my comment beyond what I meant to imply. I didn't mean that there are 100% back to the hoop guys (like Chamberlain, Jabbar, etc.) playing that way today. However, I saw plenty of bigs last season receive the ball on the close in wing and back their defender toward the basket before making a hook or other back to the basket post move. Even Brown attempted that for us a number of times (unfortunately his bad hands made him subpar at it. I don't see that as Coulibaly's game.

Having watched the better part of Mali's first two games I saw Coulibaly playing as much or more on the perimeter than inside at the hoop. I will stand by my assessment that he will be best suited to play the role of a complimentary big (4/3 type) paired with a 5/4 or 4/5 type. I expect it to be rare when he is the only big in the game other than When Capel is deliberately going small to pressure the ball full court. Otherwise, I expect him to be getting his minutes paired up with either Brown or Hamilton.

You are taking my comment beyond what I meant to imply. I didn't mean that there are 100% back to the hoop guys (like Chamberlain, Jabbar, etc.) playing that way today. However, I saw plenty of bigs last season receive the ball on the close in wing and back their defender toward the basket before making a hook or other back to the basket post move. Even Brown attempted that for us a number of times (unfortunately his bad hands made him subpar at it. I don't see that as Coulibaly's game.

Having watched the better part of Mali's first two games I saw Coulibaly playing as much or more on the perimeter than inside at the hoop. I will stand by my assessment that he will be best suited to play the role of a complimentary big (4/3 type) paired with a 5/4 or 4/5 type. I expect it to be rare when he is the only big in the game other than When Capel is deliberately going small to pressure the ball full court. Otherwise, I expect him to be getting his minutes paired up with either Brown or Hamilton.
He’s only 6’8”.

I have seen him back down and drop-step score in other games. He's not playing inside for Mali - and is trying to expand his perimeter game right now.

Reactions: panther4life32
He is the third tallest starter on the team, so it’s not surprising that he doesn’t play the post. Does that mean he can’t play the post? This tournament isn’t going to decide that either way.

Reactions: HOF Coach
AT THE HALF: Mali is only down 42-40, and that's because the US hit their first 3 with a few seconds left in the half. Both teams are shooting poorly, but Mali has 8 blocks to the US's 1, lead by Coulibaby's 3!

Overall Coulibaby is 3-for-9 (0-for-1 from deep) for 6 points, 2 rebs, 1 steal, 3 blocks, 2 fouls ... in 12 minutes. Here's the box score.

He does a little of everything.
I think the one thing he really needs to learn to become better is to learn how to use his right hand.
His two best moves seem to be a baby hook from posting up and driving type runner thing.
But if he develops a right it will make the game a little easier for him and a little harder on the defense.

He is the third tallest starter on the team, so it’s not surprising that he doesn’t play the post. Does that mean he can’t play the post? This tournament isn’t going to decide that either way.

Because the ACC has so much height (6-10s and taller) and he is 6-8 is just one of the reasons I believe he will not be used much as a post player for us.

Because the ACC has so much height (6-10s and taller) and he is 6-8 is just one of the reasons I believe he will not be used much as a post player for us.
What do you mean as a post player for us? He’s a 4/5 player. He is 6-8. He doesn’t have a choice but to play post regardless of which college team he plays for. He can’t play the 3. You see 6-8 SF type guys in the NBA but not many in college. We get so caught up in height. It’s about heart too!

Just watch the games.
That's what he'll do for us.
He's a 4 with some post moves against taller guys,
Some drive moves, fou line moves, middle against the zone, pick setter,
He won't play much 5 alone, but will in emergencies.

Did you like those baby hooks in the paint today?

He's going to have a very solid career as a 4/5 at Pitt IMO. Those long arms and another 15lbs of muscle will help a lot.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
Did you like those baby hooks in the paint today?

He's going to have a very solid career as a 4/5 at Pitt IMO. Those long arms and another 15lbs of muscle will help a lot.

Have to agree to disagree. I will stick with him as 4/3 at Pitt in ACC until proven otherwise.

Just watch the games.
That's what he'll do for us.
He's a 4 with some post moves against taller guys,
Some drive moves, fou line moves, middle against the zone, pick setter,
He won't play much 5 alone, but will in emergencies.

Agree.

Hey DC he will probably never see 2 mins at the 3 spot! IJS..
I do think with this Interntl exp he has gained confidence in his game and that will help us during the season.

Reactions: CougarClaws
If Coulibaly plays any minutes at the 3 it means disaster struck or he got a lot faster and improved his shot. He's a big. A 4 who can play 5 in small ball lineups. He will struggle against the bigger centers and quicker power forwards but will be a valuable rebounder and decent secondary scoring option at times. Not a guy that will ever be the best player on a good team but he can be a solid contributor for 4 years and play professionally overseas. We could have used a player like him last season.

This 6'7" Center won the NBA MVP and the NBA Rookie of the Year...in the same season.

And Willis Reed was about 6-8 or tad more (although listed as 6-10) when the Knicks won their 2 NBA Titles and D'Juan Blair was 6-5 1/2 but had the girth plus reach of a 6-10 guy. So, I agree reach/length (wingspan) and girth (width & weight) can also be as, or more important as height. I just don't see Coulibaly being one of those type guys.

Nevertheless, I do believe Coulibaly will be a very very good player for us---I just don't believe it will be in the role of a primary post player. I just see contributing more as 4 paired with Brown or Hamilton at the 5 this year and with Brown and our 2021 post recruit (whoever that may turn out to be) the year after.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT