ADVERTISEMENT

Mali in FIBA U19 Championship Game

I listed Coulibaly's not so good stats after a game few days ago. Well, sure
enough he did very well in the semis and finals vs France and the USA.
France - 15 pts (two teammates had 17) 50% from the floor (big improvement,
7 rebounds.
USA - 17 pts (he and another teammate were leading scorers, both with 17),
50% from the floor, 2 rebounds.

My conclusion after this tourney...he'll definitely see the floor and help us this year.
- He seems strong enough and is physical enough to play in the ACC.
- He's definitely a four IMO, and as I've been saying all along he will see minutes
alongside of both Brown and Hamilton who will be at the 5.
- I can't see him getting minutes at the 5, but who knows, Capel may see things
differently. ( I can't imagine him at the three, especially with the numbers we
have there).

I feel we now have three decent Bigs; DECENT, not top tier ACC level. Coulibaly
will not have to be forced on to the floor as Brown was. I believe Capel will bring
him along slowly. Italy will tell us even more.

7 rebounds.

My conclusion after this tourney...he'll definitely see the floor and help us this year.
- He's definitely a four IMO, and as I've been saying all along he will see minutes
have there).

will not have to be forced on to the floor as Brown was. I believe Capel will bring

But SMF says he's developmental big who won't be of any value until his redshirt junior year.

Reactions: HOF Coach
7 rebounds.

have there).

Agree with your assessment.

If Coulibaly gets minutes at the 5, IMHO, it will be when Capel wants or needs to use full court pressure defense to create steals since Coulibaly seems more athletic and definitely has better ball skills than Brown (for certain) and probably better than Hamilton (although we haven’t seen enough of Hamilton to know).

Are you people stupid,haters or just say negative things to say just to have something to say.
Coulibaly averaged 14 points and (almost) 9 rebounds for the tournament, but yet people say he would only be a back up on pitt or in the ACC.
Keep in mind he did this in a international tournament that consisted of other big name players going to other big D1 schools.
And those stats would really help Pitt last season and this season.
If you can play youcan play .
So please stop all the assumptions and negative talk and be happyand be a real fan for once .

Are you people stupid,haters or just say negative things to say just to have something to say.
Coulibaly averaged 14 points and (almost) 9 rebounds for the tournament, but yet people say he would only be a back up on pitt or in the ACC.
Keep in mind he did this in a international tournament that consisted of other big name players going to other big D1 schools.
And those stats would really help Pitt last season and this season.
If you can play youcan play .
So please stop all the assumptions and negative talk and be happyand be a real fan for once .

Not sure where you're coming from with your post. Many of us have been
saying he'd see the floor and contribute this coming year as a freshman.
I listed his stats and most of them were good. Saying that a true freshman
is going to play behind a returning two yr. starter, Brown; and a grad transfer,
Hamilton is not being negative. Seriously, do you really expect him to start this
coming season? Those that don't see him the way you do are not "stupid" nor
are they "haters" as you claim.

Suggesting that we'll know more after the Italy trip is also not being negative.
In fact the Italy trip against experienced, older teams will IMO give us a
more true look at Coulibaly than will this past tournament that you referenced.
Hell, maybe I'm totally wrong, but either way it's just an opinion...not a fact.
None of this makes me or anyone else who thinks this way "stupid" or a "hater."

This is a Pitt message board where opinions are welcome.

Last edited:
What I like most about this kid after watching some of the video is that he is coordinated and fluid in his movements. He has four years to get better and possessing those two qualities almost assures that he will really improve. I really like this kid and I know he is going to play plenty this year. As he gets stronger, I can see big things from him as an upperclassmen!

I see him that way too. I also like the fact that he seems to have some
strength and can be physical. When they get him in on a college weight
program I feel he'll develop into more of a force.
I'm also happy that Capel probably won't rush him into action, but will let
him develop as he sees fit. Personally I feel that Brown really suffered
because there was no alternative but to start him right away.

Reactions: 88Pitt88
anyone know if Horton can still accompany the team to Italy or is it too late? Seems like a nice incentive if the latter.

Coulibaly is going to be a big upgrade over the 15/20 minutes we got from Chukwuka last year.

Hamilton and a year older Brown will be as well.

If X and Trey improve their decision making slightly and Toney, X and Trey all improve their 3 point shooting by 3-5% over last year we are a bubble team and should be in the NIT for sure.

Can’t wait for FSU.

Reactions: panther4life32
Not sure where you're coming from with your post. Many of us have been
saying he'd see the floor and contribute this coming year as a freshman.
I listed his stats and most of them were good. Saying that a true freshman
is going to play behind a returning two yr. starter, Brown; and a grad transfer,
Hamilton is not being negative. Seriously, do you really expect him to start this
coming season? Those that don't see him the way you do are not "stupid" nor
are they "haters" as you claim.

Suggesting that we'll know more after the Italy trip is also not being negative.
In fact the Italy trip against experienced, older teams will IMO give us a
more true look at Coulibaly than will this past tournament that you referenced.
Hell, maybe I'm totally wrong, but either way it's just an opinion...not a fact.
None of this makes me or anyone else who thinks this way "stupid" or a "hater."

This is a Pitt message board where opinions are welcome.

Regarding the Italy trip. The most interesting part as regards Coulibaly, IMO, will be seeing how Capel is thinking about or planning to use Coulibaly. In what situations will he be on the court. Will he mostly be paired with Brown or Hamilton as some of us believe, or will he be a stand alone 5 as others of us seem to believe; will he look better than either Brown or Hamilton, etc.

Regarding the Italy trip. The most interesting part as regards Coulibaly, IMO, will be seeing how Capel is thinking about or planning to use Coulibaly. In what situations will he be on the court. Will he mostly be paired with Brown or Hamilton as some of us believe, or will he be a stand alone 5 as others of us seem to believe; will he look better than either Brown or Hamilton, etc.
I don’t see him as a stand alone 5, really - I think he plays ~5-8 minutes a game or so at the 5 behind Brown and Hamilton to compliment his 15-18 minutes at the 4. He’s going to play the 5 in spots if, for no other reason, to spell Brown and Hamilton when they get into foul trouble as they’ve shown the propensity to do in their careers to this point.

The bigger question mark to me is what the split will look like at the 4; how many minutes will they play with two wings like we saw so often last year versus a more “traditional” lineup with two forwards. If we see a rough 50/50 split between those two playing styles, then I think Coulibaly is looking at playing about 2/3 of his minutes (15 or so) at the 4 and 1/3 of his total minutes (5 or so) at the 5.

Reactions: mr_automatic310
As an aside, and I meant to post this earlier this weekend - in the latest linked highlights, I saw a whole lot to like in terms of Coulibaly’s potential against the 2-3 zone. I see a lot of him catching the ball in the low baseline in the hole in the zone and taking it strong to the hoop, and I see him taking it at the foul line and giving that little baby hook he’s got with the left hand.

Reactions: HOF Coach
I don’t see him as a stand alone 5, really - I think he plays ~5-8 minutes a game or so at the 5 behind Brown and Hamilton to compliment his 15-18 minutes at the 4. He’s going to play the 5 in spots if, for no other reason, to spell Brown and Hamilton when they get into foul trouble as they’ve shown the propensity to do in their careers to this point.

The bigger question mark to me is what the split will look like at the 4; how many minutes will they play with two wings like we saw so often last year versus a more “traditional” lineup with two forwards. If we see a rough 50/50 split between those two playing styles, then I think Coulibaly is looking at playing about 2/3 of his minutes (15 or so) at the 4 and 1/3 of his total minutes (5 or so) at the 5.

Yes. What Capel does regarding 2 wings vs 1 will be interesting since last year he had to use 2 wings out of necessity given roster makeup with only 2 bigs causing him to use Toney as a 3/4. This season he has more of an option to go either way now having 3 bigs and possibly 4 bigs if Chukwuka becomes healthy at some point.

On the other hand, finding minutes for Drumgoole, Murphy and Champagnie could push Capel in the direction of continuing to play 2 wings a lot.

Hopefully, Italy will tell us something about Capel's thinking if we get to see some video of the games and are not just dependent on seeing boxscores (or get even less info).

Last edited:
Just watch the games.
That's what he'll do for us.
He's a 4 with some post moves against taller guys,
Some drive moves, fou line moves, middle against the zone, pick setter,
He won't play much 5 alone, but will in emergencies.
So...Talib Zanna?? Is that a good comparison?

Reactions: Drew1208
Doesn't seem quite as springy/athletic as Zanna to me.

The guy I keep coming back to when I watch him is Mooney from ND. Doesn't do anything exceptionally well and isn't super athletic, but makes plays and is a really good basketball player and smart and has a really solid post game already.

The guy I keep coming back to when I watch him is Mooney from ND. Doesn't do anything exceptionally well and isn't super athletic, but makes plays and is a really good basketball player and smart and has a really solid post game already.
That's fine, because we have no one with any post game. And at least it gives Brown someone to practice against and may help him overall.

Be interesting to see what Capel does to start the season. I could see starting 5 of X, Trey, Toney, Coulibaly, Hamilton with Brown backing up Hamilton and Champagnie backing up Coulibaly. He wants effort guys and Brown's motor seemed to always get him in the doghouse, he definitely has some ability but not sure he has the desire. Maybe getting benched and his ass kicked in ACC play last year lit a fire under him. I am hoping so as him becoming a difference maker down low could push this team to a winning record this year.

Be interesting to see what Capel does to start the season. I could see starting 5 of X, Trey, Toney, Coulibaly, Hamilton with Brown backing up Hamilton and Champagnie backing up Coulibaly. He wants effort guys and Brown's motor seemed to always get him in the doghouse, he definitely has some ability but not sure he has the desire. Maybe getting benched and his ass kicked in ACC play last year lit a fire under him. I am hoping so as him becoming a difference maker down low could push this team to a winning record this year.

Interesting! If I'm not mistaken you're the first poster to pick Hamilton as a starter
in place of Brown. I've posted a few times that it may very well be up in the air as to which of the two starts. None on here really knows who's better....Brown or Hamilton.
Most on here have gone with Brown. My guess is Capel is going to decide by using the Italy trip, day to day practices against each other, and who fits into the system best.
The Italy trip will be the first tangible look at this. Hopefully we'll see some films
from those games on here.
Hamilton over Brown?......You may be right. I'm certainly interested.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tonyt66
So...Talib Zanna?? Is that a good comparison?

Alot of his game reminds me of a young Chevy. He's more skilled but not the complete brute Chevy was at this point.

Hey DC he will probably never see 2 mins at the 3 spot! IJS..
I do think with this Interntl exp he has gained confidence in his game and that will help us during the season.

Yes - I like AKC a lot, but he will see some power forwards too quick for him to guard m-to-m effectively in the ACC. Playing man against legit 3's is not something he will be any good at, and I would be surprised if the 3pt shooting improves enough for him to play outside the arc on a consistent basis. So I really really disagree with the previous poster that thinks he's a 4/3.

Coulibaly is either a straight 4, or a 4/5 that can play post effectivly against many-but-not-all Centers in the ACC. Personally I think once the kid adds another 10 or 20lbs of muscle he will be fine in the post with those long arms, that nice baby hook, and a beautiful drop-step. But there will always be at least a couple guys in the ACC he just can't handle.

Last edited:
Alot of his game reminds me of a young Chevy. He's more skilled but not the complete brute Chevy was at this point.
Chevy's lower body was insanely strong as an underclassmen. Coulibaly might get there with a couple seasons in the program, but I doudt they will want him to add any weight that might slow him down. Quicks is his biggest weakness.

Not talking one game here. He was pretty consistent in the FIBA tourney over the ~6 games played. I called him a 4/3 which to me means he is primarily a 4 but, because he spends so much time on the perimeter for Mali that I classified his secondary position as the 3 vs the 5--that doesn't necessarily mean that Capel will use him that way, of course.

In the modern somewhat, but not entirely, position-less basketball to my way of thinking players can be described as (I put my guesses on how Pitt guys may fit in parens)----

5's Only suitable to play the post--lacks ball skills and/or jumper needed to play the 4.( No one: except perhaps Brown?)
5/4s Primarily a post but with skills to play some 4 (Brown?).
4/5s Primarily PFs but can play some post when needed (Hamilton, Chukwuka, Brown?, Coulibaly?).
4/3s Primarily PFs but can play some on the perimeter/wing (Coulibaly?).
3/4s Primarily wings but can play some PF if needed (Toney, Champagnie).
3/2s Primarily wings but can play some 2 guard (Drumgoole).
2/3s Primarily a 2 guard but can play some wing (McGowens?).
2/1s Primarily a 2 guard who can play some point when needed (McGowens, Murphy?).
1/2s Primarily a point guard but a good enough outside shooter to play the 2 when needed (Johnson ?).
1s A player with ball skills but lacking height and/or shooting skills to play the 2 (perhaps a healthy Aiken, Jr.?).

Last edited:
Reactions: CougarClaws
Not talking one game here. He was gpretty consitent in the FIBA tourney over the ~6 games played. I
He had one game where he scored 4. I wouldn’t put stock into FIBA play one way or the other. None of this stuff is an indicator or means anything once he steps on campus.

His expected level of contribution changing with this 6 game tournament for his freshmen season is a dangerous game to play.

He had one game where he scored 4. I wouldn’t put stock into FIBA play one way or the other. None of this stuff is an indicator or means anything once he steps on campus.

His expected level of contribution changing with this 6 game tournament for his freshmen season is a dangerous game to play.

Very true. Coulibaly certainly played with and against some pretty talented
players in this tournament. The stats and the eye test (viewing highlights) give somewhat of an idea of his talent level, physical attributes, quickness, etc.
As I see it, it's important to remember that FIBA has a 19 and under age limit
on these players and the tournament itself. That's why I've been posting that
helpful as it is to us as we view all this, we have to be careful in assuming
that he'll do likewise against older, more experienced, stronger players in
the ACC. He's going to see ACC bigs who are 22, 23 yrs. THAT is a whole
other world from this FIBA tournament. The same holds true as he competes
with his Pitt teammates, especially Brown and Hamilton.
And for the umpteenth time.....I really like him as a Pitt recruit, but the Italy trip
will tell us a lot more.

Last edited:
Very true. Coulibaly certainly played with and against some pretty talented
players in this tournament. The stats and the eye test (viewing highlights) give somewhat of an idea of his talent level, physical attributes, quickness, etc.
As I see it, it's important to remember that FIBA has a 19 and under age limit
on these players and the tournament itself. That's why I've been posting that
helpful as it is to us as we view all this, we have to be careful in assuming
that he'll do likewise against older, more experienced, stronger players in
the ACC. He's going to see ACC bigs who are 22, 23 yrs. THAT is a whole
other world from this FIBA tournament. The same holds true as he competes
with his Pitt teammates, especially Brown and Hamilton.
And for the umpteenth time.....I really like him as a Pitt recruit, but the Italy trip
will tell us a lot more.

On the flip side, those 22-23 year old bigs generally aren't very talented. Sure, every now and then you get someone like Reid Travis, but there's no denying that the older you get as a collegiate big, the less likely you are to be an exceptional player. Add the fact that Coulibaly is well built physically for his age and I don't think there's much of an adjustment to be made in that sense.

Reactions: Drew1208
On the flip side, those 22-23 year old bigs generally aren't very talented. Sure, every now and then you get someone like Reid Travis, but there's no denying that the older you get as a collegiate big, the less likely you are to be an exceptional player. Add the fact that Coulibaly is well built physically for his age and I don't think there's much of an adjustment to be made in that sense.

I hope you're right. We'll see soon enough.

In a very limited and potentially flawed sample, I will stick with he will come off the bench this year and be helpful. He has the potential to be a very strong player by his sophomore or junior year. no way he plays more minutes than Brown, on average

Reactions: CougarClaws

Honestly - since I followed this kid for over a year now, and have seen all his film & games available on the Internet - this performance was expected on my part. He looked good in last year's FIBA as well.

In a very limited and potentially flawed sample, I will stick with he will come off the bench this year and be helpful. He has the potential to be a very strong player by his sophomore or junior year. no way he plays more minutes than Brown, on average

15-20 off the bench should be a reasonable expectation for AKC this season. 7 & 5 per game would be excellent work from him. I don't ever see him being a 1st or 2nd option on offense, just an excellent support player that will top out under 15pts/game, rebound, and do all the little things that win games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT