ADVERTISEMENT

Malik Ellison

VincePITT

Sophomore
Jul 9, 2008
Western, PA
Just talked to Pitt guard Malik Ellison and his dad, Pervis. They said they’re still undecided on whether Malik will stay at Pitt next season. Hearing from other schools, and no timetable for a decision at this point. @BrianBatko

Last edited:
If Pitt was his best option last yr after sitting out a yr and facing another idle yr can’t see much demand for him . Being that he was on a bb scholarship sitting out two yrs wouldn’t that leave him one yr of eligibly left ?

Never nervous pervis is making me nervous.

Are these guys leavin cause stallings or leaving cause they can. Wonder why someone would rather be on a stallings program. Maybe last year left a sour taste in their mouth and they are bolting regardless.

Are these guys leavin cause stallings or leaving cause they can. Wonder why someone would rather be on a stallings program. Maybe last year left a sour taste in their mouth and they are bolting regardless.
I’m taking it as they genuinely liked their coach , they knew what they were signing up for . A lot of posters were brutal with their dislike for KS , I didn’t like the hire , I didn’t like how his teams played , I didn’t like the way recruiting was going nor the future of the program under him , but I never attacked him on a personal level because I don’t know the man . Some of those who played for him last yr certainly have spoken . Action speaks louder than words .

he may be graduating by the end of the summer. In that case he can leave with two years left.

Cannot blame him for looking that way.

he may be graduating by the end of the summer. In that case he can leave with two years left.

Cannot blame him for looking that way.

Yea, I'd imagine this is the plan. Not sure how close he is but maybe 18-21 credits would do it.

Who knows but if I am the coach I recruit the best players and if I have more players that want to commit then scholarships, they would replace those that have stated that they took their release and haven’t given a decision. It would be “sorry, no room at the inn”. First to come, first served. Hate to play that game but you can’t have it both ways.

Last edited:
That works when you ACTUALLY have kids committing to your Coach.

Give me a second to count how many Committments Capel currently has..

Ummmm. Well, let’s see... if you add 3+1 then subtract 4.. then divide that number by Zero.

Then he has
I did not expect to see signees at this point. Fast forward to mid-May, we better be seeing 2 or 3.

Well, as a know nothing outsider it sure does appear that Capel did not try to coddle the group , of course Stallings was able to hold onto the players he inherited only to through them overboard as soon as he had no need for them.

The smart move for Ellison would be to come back next year if he is confident in his skills. He will be the best player on the team and will have a one year showcase of his abilities. He will graduate after next year and be free to transfer to any team who will have him.
You would think that is the only rational option yet here we are. Not knocking on the kid, but how does he not realize this? I don't see how he could think playing here this year will put him in less demand than he is right now, just the fact he wouldn't have to sit out a year makes him much more attractive next off-season.

Well, as a know nothing outsider it sure does appear that Capel did not try to coddle the group , of course Stallings was able to hold onto the players he inherited only to through them overboard as soon as he had no need for them.
Stallings inherited a pretty good team that was senior laden , the problem was there wasn’t much talent behind the starters while JC inherited a young team that went winless in the ACC . I’m sure if JC had MYoung and JArtis on his roster he’d be working hard to get their commitments .
Retaining players who you feel can’t play at this level or in your system is a disservice to both you and them .
I think this shows that JC has confidence in himself and his staff to bring in better players in the future . Holding on to this entire roster only limits his options down the line .
A seven year deal gives him the breathing room he needs to attract the players he wants and shows the administration understands that this will take a few seasons to get the ship headed in the right direction .

A seven year deal gives him the breathing room he needs to attract the players he wants and shows the administration understands that this will take a few seasons to get the ship headed in the right direction .

Ha! Is it that 7th year that should be providing the comfort?

If I was HCJC I would give him till end of this week. The semester ends this week. There is no way I would let him get enough credits to graduate on Pitts dime. He all ready got his release. So Pitt doesn’t have to help him for the summer classes. Let him pay for classes and figure out how to get credits himself. Also wouldn’t let him work out at Pitts facility or get any of the other perks players get like tudors.

Who knows but if I am the coach I recruit the best players and if I have more players that want to commit then scholarships they would replace those that have stated that took their release and haven’t given a decision. It would “sorry, no room at the inn”. First to come first served. Hate to play that game but you can’t have it both ways.
I must have overlooked that long line of 2018 P5 level recruits and grad transfers that are beating down the door to the Pitt basketball office.

My apologies.

Ha! Is it that 7th year that should be providing the comfort?
No , it means that there’s no pressure to get it done in a couple of years .
Do you really expect anyone to come in here and instantly win and sign elite players ?

No , it means that there’s no pressure to get it done in a couple of years .
Do you really expect anyone to come in here and instantly win and sign elite players ?
No - it was a joke. Stallings had a 6 year deal, and it didn’t protect him past two years. These guys all have pressure to win immediately, regardless of the length of their contract.

No - it was a joke. Stallings had a 6 year deal, and it didn’t protect him past two years. These guys all have pressure to win immediately, regardless of the length of their contract.
There was no upside to what was happening under KS . Play during his two yrs in a word sucked . Recruiting was very disappointing to say the least . Attendance was a disaster and was going to get worse this coming season . To top it off he was probably the most disliked coach in Pitt bb history and he had no support from his AD .
JC will be under pressure to succeed , but Pitt can not afford to act hastily . There’s no way Heather has a quick hook for her biggest hire , there will be no money for another big buyout so they will show patience and if JC does what he does best and recruit better talent all will be
well . I think the only way he’s not here to fulfill his contract is if Duke comes calling .

Again, I have the same opinion I have had with other kids like Carr who have left as I do with Ellison. Even more so with Ellison because he already sat a year. It doesn't make much sense to me that you would be willing to sit out a year versus being a 4 year starter(2 in Ellison's case). I get they all must have really like Stallings. But again overall, it is the decision of the kids. I won't criticize them for leaving. It is their choice. I certainly won't root for them going forward either because I am a fan of Pitt.

As for Ellison specifically though, I am sure it is happening but I would ABSOLUTELY 100% recruit to fill his spot though. If I found someone I liked for that scholarship, then Ellison wouldn't have the option of coming back. He would be shown the door just like any other undecided player. Problem with that, is we are so late into the process for 18, I doubt 5 or 6 quality players will be able to be found to fill those scholarships.

We have yet to land a recruit, we have multiple open scholarships why are we telling people to hurry up when we already have the room And then some?

Let’s at least land one recruit here before we run existing players off.

We have yet to land a recruit, we have multiple open scholarships why are we telling people to hurry up when we already have the room And then some?

Let’s at least land one recruit here before we run existing players off.

Apparently you missed my last sentence if this is directed at me.

I agree with you. It has nothing to do with being in a hurry. I am simply stating that anyone who has not committed to coming back in theory has their scholarship open and is fair game to be replaced.

As I mentioned in my post, we are so late into the process, I doubt getting 5 or 6 quality players will be possible at this point to fill the scholarships unless it involves grab a handful of grad or regular transfers.

Stallings inherited a pretty good team that was senior laden , the problem was there wasn’t much talent behind the starters while JC inherited a young team that went winless in the ACC . I’m sure if JC had MYoung and JArtis on his roster he’d be working hard to get their commitments .
Retaining players who you feel can’t play at this level or in your system is a disservice to both you and them .
I think this shows that JC has confidence in himself and his staff to bring in better players in the future . Holding on to this entire roster only limits his options down the line .

I don't agree that Stallings inherited a pretty good team. He inherited some pretty good players, but none of them were serviceable as a point guard or a center. We have had a bunch of stiffs at center ever since the dearly departed Steven Adams, and there was nothing behind James Robinson. We wound up with Artis and Young both forced out of position. There was no depth behind those few good players either. I take total issue, as much as I liked and admired Jamie, with the notion that he left the program in solid shape. He left the cupboard embarrassingly bare, in my opinion. Even if Cam hadn't transferred, if your best returning players are Cam Johnson and Ryan Luther, you have a problem. If you don't even have Cam Johnson, you have a disaster. Just my opinion.

Again, I have the same opinion I have had with other kids like Carr who have left as I do with Ellison. Even more so with Ellison because he already sat a year. It doesn't make much sense to me that you would be willing to sit out a year versus being a 4 year starter(2 in Ellison's case). I get they all must have really like Stallings. But again overall, it is the decision of the kids. I won't criticize them for leaving. It is their choice. I certainly won't root for them going forward either because I am a fan of Pitt.

As for Ellison specifically though, I am sure it is happening but I would ABSOLUTELY 100% recruit to fill his spot though. If I found someone I liked for that scholarship, then Ellison wouldn't have the option of coming back. He would be shown the door just like any other undecided player. Problem with that, is we are so late into the process for 18, I doubt 5 or 6 quality players will be able to be found to fill those scholarships.

I agree. Capel has to be aggressively recruiting right now to fill Ellison's scholarship in this year's class, even though there aren't many options. If he fills it with a quality player, Ellison is told he's no longer on the team. The other open scholarships will be reserved for other positions of need.

It seems like the players from last year's team probably lobbied the administration to keep Stallings, but were rebuffed and felt like they weren't heard when he was fired. Now they are out unless there are no better options.

It is a tough situation for JC. Glad he knew what he was getting into.

It seems like the players from last year's team probably lobbied the administration to keep Stallings, but were rebuffed and felt like they weren't heard when he was fired. Now they are out unless there are no better options.

It is a tough situation for JC. Glad he knew what he was getting into.
players always lobby for the head coach, no matter how bad or inept. pick a sport, pick a level and I guarantee you the current players lobby to keep "their coach." It's why you don't listen to current players with this decision, there is zero objectivity.

I almost wonder if they are waiting on if he will get that waiver or not. obviously the transfer rule wont pass but I think he has a shot at getting a waiver from NCAA, making him eligible for next year? Maybe they want to see if that will come thru and if not, he will come back. just a guess though, obviously me and Never Nervous Pervis don't correspond on such matters.

Reactions: Jpripper88
I don't agree that Stallings inherited a pretty good team. He inherited some pretty good players, but none of them were serviceable as a point guard or a center. We have had a bunch of stiffs at center ever since the dearly departed Steven Adams, and there was nothing behind James Robinson. We wound up with Artis and Young both forced out of position. There was no depth behind those few good players either. I take total issue, as much as I liked and admired Jamie, with the notion that he left the program in solid shape. He left the cupboard embarrassingly bare, in my opinion. Even if Cam hadn't transferred, if your best returning players are Cam Johnson and Ryan Luther, you have a problem. If you don't even have Cam Johnson, you have a disaster. Just my opinion.
The team left by JD badly needed a pg , but 4 conference wins was totally unacceptable . As I’ve said the cupboard was bear behind the seniors .

If I was HCJC I would give him till end of this week. The semester ends this week. There is no way I would let him get enough credits to graduate on Pitts dime. He all ready got his release. So Pitt doesn’t have to help him for the summer classes. Let him pay for classes and figure out how to get credits himself. Also wouldn’t let him work out at Pitts facility or get any of the other perks players get like tudors.
I agree with this. He is either in at the end of the semester or he can pay his own way to graduate this summer (I highly, highly doubt he is on track to graduate after transferring here) and leave.

I agree with this. He is either in at the end of the semester or he can pay his own way to graduate this summer (I highly, highly doubt he is on track to graduate after transferring here) and leave.

Agree with you both on this.

Curious what kind of reception Ellison will get from the fans if he does stay next year, after this debacle.

Curious what kind of reception Ellison will get from the fans if he does stay next year, after this debacle.

Most fans really won't care. I know I won't care. I don't think he is doing anything wrong right now. But as he is undecided, I also don't think Pitt is under any obligation to pay for his summer courses or to honor his scholarship if by some chance they are able to add enough quality players to fill his ship. That is unlikely at this point but if they are able to then he should not have a saved spot at this point.

Reactions: Crimmins27
All this kid knows from his time at Pitt was awful attendance and lack of fan support and then the administration not hearing him and his teammates (not saying it is the fans or admin's fault). I would be shocked if he stays assuming he has decent options.

Reactions: Crimmins27
All this kid knows from his time at Pitt was awful attendance and lack of fan support and then the administration not hearing him and his teammates (not saying it is the fans or admin's fault). I would be shocked if he stays assuming he has decent options.

You could well be right. But I think most of the questioning being done by fans centers around why ANY player would want to put himself in a situation where he'd have to sit out 2 years in a row? Of course, it is very doubtful that any poster on this board has been privy to the internal discussions and conversations that have taken place among the principals. Those are the unknown details that are likely playing a big role in this.

If we were in Philadelphia we would boo him and throw beer cans at him. But, we are classy and it really won't matter as we'll probably forget..

Reactions: levance2
If we were in Philadelphia we would boo him and throw beer cans at him. But, we are classy and it really won't matter as we'll probably forget..

Good point and I'm sure you're right.

I was just thinking out loud. But I'm pretty much where everyone else is. I won't care one way or another about him, and will cheer if he can do some good things on the court.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT