ADVERTISEMENT

Manigualt to New Mexico

Pittnerski

Freshman
Sep 11, 2013
all the former players ended up a step down aside from Luther.

Nix South Alabama
Wilson Georgia St
Kithcart ODU

Carr Minnesota
Still waiting on Ellison Kene Stewart...

Cam Johnson went to North Carolina... Parker Stewart might land with a NCAA tournament team.

But New Mexico could be interesting next year. JaQuan Lyle (Ohio State), Vance Jackson (UConn), and Carlton Bragg (Kansas) will all be eligible next year... I expect all 3 to be big-time contributors, especially JaQuan Lyle, who I think is good enough to win Conference Player of the Year.

Nix South Alabama
Wilson Georgia St
Kithcart ODU

Carr Minnesota

Also Troy Simons is leaving New Mexico to transfer back home because he wants to be close to his daughter. I wonder if RMU or Duquesne would take a sit 1, play 1?

Minnesota is a step down? Really?
As a team, probably not. Then again, Minnesota was ranked in the top 25 pre-season then went on to win 4 conference games, in a conference that only sent 4 out of 14 teams to the dance, with a Jr or Sr starting at 4/5 positions. So i'm not too sure I'd consider them much of a step up.

As a program? Yes, by pretty much every measure of success since Carr was born.

Past 2 years - Minn
Past 3 years - push
past 5 years - Pitt
Past 10 years - Pitt easily
Past 15 years - Pitt easily
Past 20 years - Pitt easily

Minnesota is a step down? Really?
As a team when he will be eligible to play there? Probably even or a step down. It seems likely Pitino is fired before he plays a game and he is facing the same situation, but with a worse program and coach and having sat out a year, while teammates played or were brought in by the new staff.

Minnesota’s season last year imploded after the Reggie Lynch situation, they literally quit. That whole debacle is a big part of the reason Pitino is on the hot seat, moreso than just wins and losses.

I'm not quite sure we are anywhere close to being able to call most of these schools a step down.
Wow? Really? How far you have fallen. I would absolutely play for Pitt before any of those schools and I seriously think I am saying that unbiasedly.

Wow? Really? How far you have fallen. I would absolutely play for Pitt before any of those schools and I seriously think I am saying that unbiasedly.

Minnesota and Pitt are apples and oranges right now, the others definitely a step down.

I didn’t think Manigault would get offered by a place as good as New Mexico.

Minnesota and Pitt are apples and oranges right now, the others definitely a step down.

I didn’t think Manigault would get offered by a place as good as New Mexico.
Let's see what some of these kids do with actual training and coaching.

Nix South Alabama
Wilson Georgia St
Kithcart ODU

Carr Minnesota
I'm not quite sure we are anywhere close to being able to call most of these schools a step down.

Come on DT. Minnesota, ok, maybe that's a lateral program but Pitt is an ACC program.

I think it has mainly been those who supported KS who assume that the recruits he ran off were busts. They never were given the opportunity to develop before those assumptions became gospel for KS supporters.

Let's see what some of these kids do with actual training and coaching.
Manigault was and still is a quality big man who needs to reshape his body for D1 play and as you so aptly mentioned will excel with anything resembling D1 coaching and mentoring. PS New Mexico is a good, solid program that has added some nice talent the last year or so.

Your right at the moment , but in two yrs you’ll be wrong !

Perhaps. But it may also prove you wrong.

I really think they just weren't players suited to the style of play (different from Dixon's) that KS wanted to eventually play. In any event, the players he brought in to replace them so far don't appear to have been be an upgrade. The "proof of the pudding" in that regard will be when we see how both these players and the ones KS replaced them with perform over their full collegiate careers.

Perhaps. But it may also prove you wrong.

I really think they just weren't players suited to the style of play (different from Dixon's) that KS wanted to eventually play. In any event, the players he brought in to replace them so far don't appear to have been be an upgrade. The "proof of the pudding" in that regard will be when we see how both these players and the ones KS replaced them with perform over their full collegiate careers.
I hope for their sakes I’m wrong , but there was nothing I saw of them to think they will be anything special ( or above average ) in a D1 program . I differ with a lot of posters with regards to Carr and Stewart , in the right systems surrounded by better talent I think both of those guys will have nice college careers .

Reactions: 4Mark_Marty
So? Just being an ACC program doesn’t make it a good one.
I agree with you and the point here is true. However, Carr has to sit out a year and then has 3 to play. Would you expect Minnesota or Pitt to be the better program over that time? Would you expect Minnesota or Pitt to fire their coach? I am certainly not a homer, but I definitely expect Pitt to be a better program during the next 3 years than Minnesota would be over Carr's 3 years of playing time and if someone asked me whether to bet for or against Pitino still being Minnesota's HC by 2021, I would bet against it. In fact, I would probably bet against him being the HC for even 1 year of Carr's playing time, because I think he gets fired after this upcoming season, while Carr sits out.

Reactions: dukedevilz
I agree with you and the point here is true. However, Carr has to sit out a year and then has 3 to play. Would you expect Minnesota or Pitt to be the better program over that time? Would you expect Minnesota or Pitt to fire their coach? I am certainly not a homer, but I definitely expect Pitt to be a better program during the next 3 years than Minnesota would be over Carr's 3 years of playing time and if someone asked me whether to bet for or against Pitino still being Minnesota's HC by 2021, I would bet against it. In fact, I would probably bet against him being the HC for even 1 year of Carr's playing time, because I think he gets fired after this upcoming season, while Carr sits out.

I wouldn't be shocked if, given the volatility inherent to a medciore P5 program like Minnesota, the only year in which Minnesota is better than Pitt will be the year that Carr can't play. Not only is Pitino very likely on the hot seat, he had two of his assistants poached this past season and I believe lost at least one recruit as a result of it. If he doesn't make the tournament this coming season, it'll be 1 in 6 and he won't have much rope left.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT