ADVERTISEMENT

Marion to Tulsa?

Addison was so enamored with BM that he followed him to Texas. Whoops!

There is a chance that if Marion was hired, he would have been content enough to not explore other options. Losing his position coach, OC, and QB was the perfect storm. I don't know for sure he stays if Marion was hired. But I also dont know for sure he doesn't. One thing I do know is that the offense was the worst in recent memory and we have no offensive recruits. The hire was a 0.0. Marion would have been better and there's no disputing that

There is a chance that if Marion was hired, he would have been content enough to not explore other options. Losing his position coach, OC, and QB was the perfect storm. I don't know for sure he stays if Marion was hired. But I also dont know for sure he doesn't. One thing I do know is that the offense was the worst in recent memory and we have no offensive recruits. The hire was a 0.0. Marion would have been better and there's no disputing that

If by recent memory, you mean 2019.

And no, totally not worth it. That would have been a clown ass amateur move.

Rising star. This will go down as one of Duzz's biggest blunders. Might have cost us Addison, 12-0, and the CFP. Like Cignetti was some slam dunk hire
I’ll humor your post and play devil’s advocate: let’s say Marion stays as the offensive coordinator.

A) does Slovis still come to Pitt?
B) if not, does Addison still leave if Nick Patti is the QB, or someone like Chubba Purdy? Does he leave if Slovis is the QB but is running Marion’s system?

Too many variables to sort out. IMO, his departure was inevitable.

urbs pulled it off. so did dabo. When you got it, you got it.

I guess Bill has it. Went from never spending a day in his life in the sports analyst industry to being a high-paid CBS studio analyst. Now that I think about it... nah, couldn't be anything like what Saturday did. Saturday switched jobs from analyst to head coach. Bill Cowher only switched jobs from head coach to analyst. Totally not the same basic concept.

Let’s see how your guy does when he’s in charge of something more than a position group, before we christen him better than anyone, shall we?

There’s no way in hell you can say that Pitt would have been better with Marion as OC this year.

I’ll humor your post and play devil’s advocate: let’s say Marion stays as the offensive coordinator.

A) does Slovis still come to Pitt?
B) if not, does Addison still leave if Nick Patti is the QB, or someone like Chubba Purdy? Does he leave if Slovis is the QB but is running Marion’s system?

Too many variables to sort out. IMO, his departure was inevitable.

I don't know those answers but I believe it was the perfect storm that caused him to explore other options. He lost all 3. Had he had Marion there talking him off the ledge, I think he stays. That's my opinion. And we are 12-0

Reactions: KennyHeisman8
Hard to imagine Marion falling on his face as an OC… he’s a hell of a football coach from everything I’ve seen.

Pitt should give Marion a robust reference based on his miniscule contribution to Pitt and our grateful tie to the Tulsa program for bringing us this guy...
524cdbc972a9a.image.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: HOF Coach

I guess that would be true if recent memory does not include Whipple;s first and both of Watson's seasons.

If NY

I don't know those answers but I believe it was the perfect storm that caused him to explore other options. He lost all 3. Had he had Marion there talking him off the ledge, I think he stays. That's my opinion. And we are 12-0
No, he wouldn’t have likely stayed. USC paid him a boatload of money to leave. Some vagabond coach that was with him 1 year was probably not going to change that.

No, he wouldn’t have likely stayed. USC paid him a boatload of money to leave. Some vagabond coach that was with him 1 year was probably not going to change that.

Supposedly, we matched.

And people keep using the "he didnt go to Marion at Texas argument." At Pitt, he would have had Marion + friends/teammates/closeness to home. At Texas, he just had Marion. I don't think he even has all those negative feelings which lead to considering a transfer if Marion was there due to the familiarity.

@Sean Miller Fan Is Marion better or worse than the failure of a goat you conveniently haven’t brought up currently sucking at BC?
He doesn't talk about him anymore......... for obvious reasons.

My only consolation with Addison leaving was that he played Marion and Texas, not once, but twice. He cared so much about him that he used him.

Reactions: Ski11585
At USC, he has neither. Your circular arguments are amusing but always betray you.

You are missing the point. Everything was new at Pitt (and not for the better). He felt he would rather start over somewhere else. At Texas, maybe it wouldn't be completely starting over since his position coach was the same but its still a new place with an unproven QB. I said a million times I don't know for sure if he stayed at Pitt with Marion. Its my opinion, he never starts looking.

Reactions: KennyHeisman8
There is plenty to dispute your claim.

Also, just realized that Marion played at Tulsa before entering the pros. Makes sense that they would at least do their due diligence and interview an alum who is a coordinator at a P5 school like Texas.

Reactions: USN_Panther
For those stating that he shouldn't move from a position coach to head coach or that he should prove himself at the coordinator level, he has been a coordinator and understands how to succeed at that level.

I wish him the best. I hope he gets the job and is successful at Tulsa. None of that changes my opinion that he was wrong fit as Pitt's OC.

Supposedly, we matched.

And people keep using the "he didnt go to Marion at Texas argument." At Pitt, he would have had Marion + friends/teammates/closeness to home. At Texas, he just had Marion. I don't think he even has all those negative feelings which lead to considering a transfer if Marion was there due to the familiarity.
We did not match.

Texas has scored 53 TD's..

PITT has scored 46 TD's..

Quite the offensive revolution that's taking place in Austin with all the money resources talent they have available. I'm impressed... If I were Tulsa I'd give Marion a 10 year 120 million dollar deal.

Cough cough...

Reactions: pittdan77
Have to assume Sark told him to look around.
Worthy's production was down from last year and rumors of him looking to transfer.
WR recruiting isn't bad there, but it just seemed like an odd hire to begin with.

It would be Marion's 12th job in 13 years.

Texas looked pretty good on offense considering it’s year 2 of the rebuild and they played a FR at QB. They are probably a recruiting class or 2 away from having real expectations, but they look different under Sark.

I guess Bill has it. Went from never spending a day in his life in the sports analyst industry to being a high-paid CBS studio analyst. Now that I think about it... nah, couldn't be anything like what Saturday did. Saturday switched jobs from analyst to head coach. Bill Cowher only switched jobs from head coach to analyst. Totally not the same basic concept.
This analogy makes me laugh - comparing going to the booth with being an NFL head coach is totally nonsensical! You can talk your way to being an analyst - totally managing an organization of highly paid alpha male men, coaches, media requests, appearances owners, while competing in front of 65K every week is a totally different animal.

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT