ADVERTISEMENT

Marion to Tulsa?

How's the "Go-Go" offense working down in Austin?

lol
I know he's not calling plays but let's take a look...

Texas PFF Receiving Grade60th26th
Pitt PFF Receiving Grade23rd34th (not too shabby at all)
Texas Offensive Efficiency35th15th
Pitt Offensive Efficiency47th70th
Texas Strength of Schedule14th1st
Pitt Strength of Schedule61st63rd
Texas top 30 Efficient Def. Faced55
Pitt top 30 Efficient Def. Faced11

Reactions: KennyHeisman8

A connection that you seemed to miss is that both teams likely had the top QB in their NFL draft class (Maye could pass Ewers) throwing to those WRs. Think that helps?

Reactions: RaleighPittFan

More to do with Sark’s program gaining some footing.

So you're trying to attribute all of Pitt's '22 performance decline to Marion leaving?

More to do with Sark’s program gaining some footing.
Yeah, I 100% agree that he isn’t the main reason the program is improving. But the other poster acts like their offense is sputtering and their receivers are struggling, which is clearly not the case.

Reactions: 303vND
Yeah, I 100% agree that he isn’t the main reason the program is improving. But the other poster acts like their offense is sputtering and their receivers are struggling, which is clearly not the case.
I was pointing out that this is Sark's offense and Marion's "Go-Go" isn't anywhere close to the factor of what they're doing.

I watched about a quarter of the Texas the other week and it was classic pro-style Sark. I even saw a bunch of "I formation".

Jordan went to USC to play with his friend Caleb as QB
That’s it- that’s the list

I was pointing out that this is Sark's offense and Marion's "Go-Go" isn't anywhere close to the factor of what they're doing.

I watched about a quarter of the Texas the other week and it was classic pro-style Sark. I even saw a bunch of "I formation".
And that's all everyone always harps on is if they are running a go-go offense and not that he developed a novel and successful offense to address his team's weaknesses. The good news is that it won't be long before we see if he can run an offense at this level and the arguments can mostly be put to bed.

Texas has scored 53 TD's..

PITT has scored 46 TD's..

Quite the offensive revolution that's taking place in Austin with all the money resources talent they have available. I'm impressed... If I were Tulsa I'd give Marion a 10 year 120 million dollar deal.

Cough cough...
Texas' offense had 49 touchdowns against the toughest schedule in college football.
Pitt's offense had 40 against the 63rd toughest schedule.

Reactions: KennyHeisman8
And that's all everyone always harps on is if they are running a go-go offense and not that he developed a novel and successful offense to address his team's weaknesses. The good news is that it won't be long before we see if he can run an offense at this level and the arguments can mostly be put to bed.
He ran it at W&M for a short time. London wanted to go in a different direction.

It wasn't very novel was it? He basically stole Willie Fritz and Debeese's offense didn't he?

sarcasm detected..
Non- intended
He proved all he needed here .
He’s friends with Caleb
The NIL is just a bonus

He’s a DC kid - he has no allegiance to Pitt.
His QB, OC and WR coach left .
He saw how pedestrian the offense looked in the spring game and bolted

The guy you’re responding to is an absolute clown. He is consistently wrong on every front, goes out of his way to constantly defend cignetti, and has said cignetti runs the same offense as Alabama.

A connection that you seemed to miss is that both teams likely had the top QB in their NFL draft class (Maye could pass Ewers) throwing to those WRs. Think that helps?
Before the year Slovis was looked at as one of the top 5-10 qbs in this class…perhaps he was misused?

I truly believe the biggest difference this year for Pitt by far is not having Pickett. No reason to compare Texas and Pitt offenses with/without Marion.

Texas' offense had 49 touchdowns against the toughest schedule in college football.
Pitt's offense had 40 against the 63rd toughest schedule.
What was the disparity in recruiting between Texas and their schedule compared to PITT and it's schedule over the past 4 seasons?

2022 - Texas #5
2021 - Texas #16
2020 - Texas #14
2019 - Texas - #4
2018 - Texas - #4

I'm not deep diving into Texas, but I just have this feeling that outside of the Bama game, they probably have a massive talent and resource advantage over the majority of their schedule.

Now PITT on the other hand - even when they out recruit Syracuse, are the out recruiting Syracuse in the same way that Texas is out recruiting Kansas?

My understanding is Steel is/was a coach. What are your credentials that make you an expert besides whining?
He might have been a coach, but anyone that tells me Pitt abd Alabama run a similar offensive philosophy is clueless

No. Nobody expected Pitt's offense to look like a juggernaut.

Just curious,,, did you even see Pitt's offense in 2019, 2020, or 2021 when Pickett didn't play? I did, and it was atrocious.
What’s your point? That’s why they brought in a guy who was one of the most highly sought after transfers and didn’t stick with Patti

You can run the same basic stuff but if the athletes and skill are totally different then the look and results may make you believe the plays are different.

What’s your point? That’s why they brought in a guy who was one of the most highly sought after transfers and didn’t stick with Patti

Yeah. He's a guy that regressed his last 2 seasons at USC and was benched. Just like JT Daniels, who has now lost his job at USC, UGA, and WVU. Jaxon Dart was in theix there too, and is basically a game manager guy in a run heavy offense at Ole Miss.

Pitt's offense just didn't have a lot of talent, with or without a Jordan Addison. QB play was always going to hold them back.

The guy you’re responding to is an absolute clown. He is consistently wrong on every front, goes out of his way to constantly defend cignetti, and has said cignetti runs the same offense as Alabama.
Just realized he's the guy that was telling me a month ago that you never run man on the call side in a half-slide blocking scheme. When that is the fundamental principal behind the scheme.

You can run the same basic stuff but if the athletes and skill are totally different then the look and results may make you believe the plays are different.
I mean perhaps, but I’ve really not seen Alabama lining up under center with two TE’s, I didn’t see the bunch formations, and they also don’t bleed the playclock constantly under 10 seconds

Just realized he's the guy that was telling me a month ago that you never run man on the call side in a half-slide blocking scheme. When that is the fundamental principal behind the scheme.
Look I’m no expert, but even my very uneducated eye can see that the style, tempo, and scheme cignetti runs is totally different than Alabama, so when people just acquiesce to this guys opinion and say “well he was a coach” I have to question that.

Maybe he coached pop Warner and thinks he knows way more than he does about higher levels?

I mean perhaps, but I’ve really not seen Alabama lining up under center with two TE’s, I didn’t see the bunch formations, and they also don’t bleed the playclock constantly under 10 seconds
Admittedly, I haven’t watched Bama this year outside maybe 20-30min of a game.

And, being honest, I don’t pretend to know much about plays and formations (I never played organized I’m just a fan). I wonder if Bama having far superior Olineman and bigger backs don’t need the extra line help with TEs like Pitt needs?

Bleeding the clock is certainly on the coaches and frustratingly what Duzz wants.

Non- intended
He proved all he needed here .
He’s friends with Caleb
The NIL is just a bonus

He’s a DC kid - he has no allegiance to Pitt.
His QB, OC and WR coach left .
He saw how pedestrian the offense looked in the spring game and bolted
He's not a DC kid. He's from Frederick Maryland. That's like saying a kid from Grove City is from Pittsburgh.

"He's a very detailed guy. I'm glad Coach Cignetti is here."

He entered the portal because he was made NIL offers and if it were just about "Caleb" he would've never got into negotiations over his deal with PITT and USC.

LoL. What does bleeding the play clock have to do with offensive efficiency?

And you obviously don't watch a lot of Alabama football if you don't see plays ran out of bunch formations.

LoL. What does bleeding the play clock have to do with offensive efficiency?

And you obviously don't watch a lot of Alabama football if you don't see plays ran out of bunch formations.
……..again I’ll ask…..why such a need on your end to defend cignetti?

When did I ever say you "never run man on the call side?"

I said I hardly ever see "man on the backside" I see man on the callside. That's why i said it looks like Goncalves is the one making the error.

I said to you "if it is Man on Minor's side, why is he chasing a 5 tech instead of helping the center out?" If it's Man on that side, he should be helping the center with his eyes on b gap.

I’ll humor your post and play devil’s advocate: let’s say Marion stays as the offensive coordinator.

A) does Slovis still come to Pitt?
B) if not, does Addison still leave if Nick Patti is the QB, or someone like Chubba Purdy? Does he leave if Slovis is the QB but is running Marion’s system?

Too many variables to sort out. IMO, his departure was inevitable.

Obviously Addison still leaves, it had nothing to do with the guy!

He got 4 mil, we hired a great hire to replace him, there is no chance Addison leaves if NIL isnt involved

Reactions: HailToPitt725
ADVERTISEMENT