ADVERTISEMENT

Mark Madden is gold right now

Why in the hell are you people celebrating this cretin taking a dump on your front door?

Perhaps presuming wrongly , you’re pitt fans?!?!?!?

Amen

Madden is nothing if not a shapeshifter.... he was doing the same routine when Pitt was in better shape under Harris and had just beat PSU 12-0...,

Same thing ripped Paterno ripped Penn State fans... I wasn’t listening after the Jerry stuff broke but I can well imagine it was the same

Why anyone wants to roll around in his dogshit and wallow is anyone’s guess?

Reactions: Springfield Panther
Madden would be the first to cheer if Pitt consistently did well. He hated Todd Graham because Graham was so disingenuous and he wants a guy who will be loyal to the program. He loves to pile on when it comes to Pitt but he’d be quick to change his tune if they could establish any kind of long term success.

He praised Pitt for both of those huge wins, and said it the time that nothing will change with the program and he is right. It is hard not to be a broken record towards Pitt when the same disappointing events happen over and over again. That's why "Pitting" exists. It is so hard to be a Pitt fan. It is like getting punched in the gut over and over mixed with occasional false hope.

If Navy beats Pitt tonight in the Veterans classic I think I will cry. That would make for a tough two days. At least we have the Penguins.
It's funny, I was a kid growing up in the 70s and 80s, and the Penguins were a joke. NO ONE went to Pens games. It took them decades to figure it out... Supreme talent wins. There's absolutely zero reason for him to say that, except to ignite a fanbase -- good for him, the fanbase needs to be passionate, but also supportive when the " chips are down" just like Pens fans were when there was a possibility of them shipping out of town.

Madden would be the first to cheer if Pitt consistently did well. He hated Todd Graham because Graham was so disingenuous and he wants a guy who will be loyal to the program. He loves to pile on when it comes to Pitt but he’d be quick to change his tune if they could establish any kind of long term success.
Absolutely he would... He's the type of personality that could help unite a fanbase. Wonder if anyone at the U has picked his brain for idead?

Reactions: vietvet1
So he's hyper critical and insulting when they team is doing poorly, but wholly supportive and passionate if the team becomes a consistent winner...I believe we have a term for that...

Paul Steigerwald was just on for 15 min talking Pitt.

Said Sherrill gtfo of town because the academic adminstration was toying with taking over the program from the jocks and it's been that way ever since, which is why they should've never even fired Foge Fazio. And if Pitt expects to compete with huge fanbases that draw fans from whole states like Univ of Wisconsin and Univ of Georgia then they have to start bending the rules a little bit again and build a small on-campus stadium.

Madden doubts even that would work and that the ship has sailed.

Hate to bring this tidbit into a funny thread, but Steigerwalt says he's 'heard from people' who've put together an on-campus stadium project on land that Pitt already owns in Oakland.

Madden is likely right. It's probably too late. The 1980s morons who doomed the program, combined with Steve's foolish belief that Heinz would fix things, was just too much. Pitt really should have had a 'Plan B' of sorts over the last 20 years, acquiring land for a potential stadium. They didn't. Game over.

I think it was Armstrong that owned that property on south Oakland.

Reactions: CorsosRevenge
20 year listener here. I love the show and have no idea what I am going to do when he croaks in the near future. The best Pittsburgh sports radio personality ever. Everyday is entertaining and you are guaranteed to laugh.

The fan is too boring for me to even care enough to turn it on.
The fan sucks save for Zeise
Sadly Mark is hitting too close to the mark about Pitt.

Pitt isn’t acting like a P5 right my now.
FB team 4-8
BB gave Navy its first win over ACC team since 1971

Let that sink in.....

I hate to hear it but no matter how badly Pitt gets trashed it usually at least rings somewhat true.

The fan sucks save for Zeise
Sadly Mark is hitting too close to the mark about Pitt.

Pitt isn’t acting like a P5 right my now.
FB team 4-8
BB gave Navy its first win over ACC team since 1971

Let that sink in.....

I hate to hear it but no matter how badly Pitt gets trashed it usually at least rings somewhat true.
That is exactly why so many people are upset with his comments. The truth hurts the worst.

Strange that any Pitt fan would 'get off' on any media guy who degrades or disgraces Pitt. He represents Pitt as a sports commentator in the city of Pittsburgh. I have no respect for anyone going beyond a passive criticism of the program. I, personally, don't care to have my alma mater trashed, no matter how bad the team is. A bad year after 16 wins the previous two with marquee victories, does not make Pitt a Kansas of the football world.

Strange that any Pitt fan would 'get off' on any media guy who degrades or disgraces Pitt. He represents Pitt as a sports commentator in the city of Pittsburgh. I have no respect for anyone going beyond a passive criticism of the program. I, personally, don't care to have my alma mater trashed, no matter how bad the team is. A bad year after 16 wins the previous two with marquee victories, does not make Pitt a Kansas of the football world.

Agreed. Rooting Madden on about this is weird

I glad you are satisfied with mediocrity. I'm not. These things need to be said, because it is the truth. Maybe the administration was listening or word will get back to them and they will be a little inspired. The truth about Pitt is embarrassing. If you want a bunch of bobblehead yes men in your media go follow PSU. Truth hurts.

Mark has talked in the past about how he loved going to Pitt stadium to see football games with his late mother. He is not a Pitt hater. There is just nothing good to say, and there hasn't been for a good while.

Reactions: vietvet1
I glad you are satisfied with mediocrity. I'm not. These things need to be said, because it is the truth. Maybe the administration was listening or word will get back to them and they will be a little inspired. The truth about Pitt is embarrassing. If you want a bunch of bobblehead yes men in your media go follow PSU. Truth hurts.

Mark has talked in the past about how he loved going to Pitt stadium to see football games with his late mother. He is not a Pitt hater. There is just nothing good to say, and there hasn't been for a good while.

Come on, nobody is satisfied with mediocrity. All fans want their team to win every game. But, if you want Madden or anyone else to degrade your team, good for you. Do you think Madden's rants will bring change? He turns some off just with his tone and approach. Truth is in the mind of the beholder, your truth is different from mine and others. Madden speaks his truth, and gathers a following with the 'shock factor'. Pitt was good enough last year to win 8 and beat two top 5 teams, this year they are down. It happens. It doesn't mean Pitt is in the toilet. Yes, it was embarrassing Thurs night, but that was Narduzzi's first bad loss. But, Pitt isn't embarrassing overall, and I will defend Pitt to anyone, whether I'm disappointed or not, because I can find some good just as you can find bad. One can be objective and critical, but don't need to denigrate Pitt's name to others. And, If you think Heather Lyke, Pat Gallagher, Pat Narduzzi and the other admin wants Pitt to lose, you are crazy. I look for the team to get better the next two years.

You wouldn't dare say any of that to his face cause he would knock your ass out.

This might be the funniest thing posted in this thread. Madden wouldn't have a discussion about any sport except for maybe hockey outside of his radio show, because any reasonably informed fan would make him look like a know-nothing idiot when he doesn't have a button handy that can make the person shut up when he points out Madden's lack of knowledge. You can have a more informed discussion about Pitt football and college football in general with a semi-well informed middle schooler than you can with Madden. He doesn't care about Pitt any further than to try to drive calls and listeners for his show. People claim that he's a Pitt fan, well even though he could get into the games for free, when was the last time he showed up at a Pitt football or basketball game? I'll tell you the answer. He did his show from the Petersen Center the year that the Pete opened, 2002. He stayed for half of the game and then left. Hasn't been back since. That's 15 years. He sure is one hell of a Pitt fan.

The other funny thing about this thread is that some of the same people who constantly blast the PG because they are so anti-Pitt seem to think that Madden blasting Pitt is just fine. I wonder why?

This might be the funniest thing posted in this thread. Madden wouldn't have a discussion about any sport except for maybe hockey outside of his radio show, because any reasonably informed fan would make him look like a know-nothing idiot when he doesn't have a button handy that can make the person shut up when he points out Madden's lack of knowledge. You can have a more informed discussion about Pitt football and college football in general with a semi-well informed middle schooler than you can with Madden. He doesn't care about Pitt any further than to try to drive calls and listeners for his show. People claim that he's a Pitt fan, well even though he could get into the games for free, when was the last time he showed up at a Pitt football or basketball game? I'll tell you the answer. He did his show from the Petersen Center the year that the Pete opened, 2002. He stayed for half of the game and then left. Hasn't been back since. That's 15 years. He sure is one hell of a Pitt fan.

The other funny thing about this thread is that some of the same people who constantly blast the PG because they are so anti-Pitt seem to think that Madden blasting Pitt is just fine. I wonder why?
True. It is strange that Pitt fans think it is cool that Madden was taking cheap shots at Pitt.

I don't understand what you guys consider a cheap shot? Everything he said on yesterdays show was fact with a little humor mixed in. The only thing that made me think "ouch" was the "where should Pitt play their home games" poll question (choices wolverena, highmark stadium, Shaler high school, etc), and that was all said in jest due to the horrible attendance.

Tell me what he said about Pitt that was untrue. Right now we are minor league, bottom of the barrel in the ACC. I know it sucks. To say that Thursday was the only embarrassing loss of the season is far from the truth. I guess you weren't at the OK St. game. That was over in the first 8 minutes and Gundy could've hung 100 on us easy if he didn't put the backups in at HALFTIME.

Yes last year was fun. I know that Cuse game was the best thing that I have ever seen in person, but that was all due to the scheme. What does Pitt do? They let Canada walk of course, and after he is already out the door the reports of a "competitive offer" are floated. It was too little too late, like always. That is the story of our lives as Pitt fans. It is hard to keep going back for more after getting fed a poop sandwich time after time.

You guys wonder why Pitt struggles to get young fans. If you didn't live through the glory years of the late 70's and early 80's then you haven't seen much to hang your hat on or be proud of. Sure basketball was good for 13 years and football had Fitz's Heisman run in 03, fiesta bowl against Utah, and the season of missed opportunity in 09. The common theme here is that Pitt is a comedy of error,s and sometimes you need to be able to laugh at yourselves. The reality of Pitt athletics is harsh. That isn't out fault as fans. It isn't Mr. Madden's fault for pointing it out. It all comes down to the administration and their lack of commitment to winning. Hopefully feeling some shame will kick Heather Lyke into high gear. I can dream, and I dream of success for Pitt athletics. I want this nightmare to end.

Reactions: Large Panther

Madden's schtick is as old as the hills. Google "Joe Pyne". Mark is a carbon copy.

I don't understand what you guys consider a cheap shot? Everything he said on yesterdays show was fact with a little humor mixed in. The only thing that made me think "ouch" was the "where should Pitt play their home games" poll question (choices wolverena, highmark stadium, Shaler high school, etc), and that was all said in jest due to the horrible attendance.

Tell me what he said about Pitt that was untrue. Right now we are minor league, bottom of the barrel in the ACC. I know it sucks. To say that Thursday was the only embarrassing loss of the season is far from the truth. I guess you weren't at the OK St. game. That was over in the first 8 minutes and Gundy could've hung 100 on us easy if he didn't put the backups in at HALFTIME.

Yes last year was fun. I know that Cuse game was the best thing that I have ever seen in person, but that was all due to the scheme. What does Pitt do? They let Canada walk of course, and after he is already out the door the reports of a "competitive offer" are floated. It was too little too late, like always. That is the story of our lives as Pitt fans. It is hard to keep going back for more after getting fed a poop sandwich time after time.

You guys wonder why Pitt struggles to get young fans. If you didn't live through the glory years of the late 70's and early 80's then you haven't seen much to hang your hat on or be proud of. Sure basketball was good for 13 years and football had Fitz's Heisman run in 03, fiesta bowl against Utah, and the season of missed opportunity in 09. The common theme here is that Pitt is a comedy of error,s and sometimes you need to be able to laugh at yourselves. The reality of Pitt athletics is harsh. That isn't out fault as fans. It isn't Mr. Madden's fault for pointing it out. It all comes down to the administration and their lack of commitment to winning. Hopefully feeling some shame will kick Heather Lyke into high gear. I can dream, and I dream of success for Pitt athletics. I want this nightmare to end.

Crickets, just like I expected. No one can tell me what part of Madden's Pitt bashing was untrue. Read my quoted post. Am I lying too? Pitt athletics is depressing and if you think otherwise, I want some of your drugs, please.

We are all gluttons for punishment. The definition of insanity is doing that same thing over and over, but expecting different results. The same old thing isn't working here,and hasn't for a very long time. I wish I could be like you older guys and just comfort myself by reminiscing about 1976. Either Pitt needs to start Cheating like EVERYONE ELSE or the administration needs to take supporting our major sports seriously. It all starts at the top. EVERYONE is laughing at us not just Mark Madden.

@GT74 @DiehardPanther @Joe the Panther Fan @DruidTM

Crickets, just like I expected. No one can tell me what part of Madden's Pitt bashing was untrue. Read my quoted post. Am I lying too? Pitt athletics is depressing and if you think otherwise, I want some of your drugs, please.

We are all gluttons for punishment. The definition of insanity is doing that same thing over and over, but expecting different results. The same old thing isn't working here,and hasn't for a very long time. I wish I could be like you older guys and just comfort myself by reminiscing about 1976. Either Pitt needs to start Cheating like EVERYONE ELSE or the administration needs to take supporting our major sports seriously. It all starts at the top. EVERYONE is laughing at us not just Mark Madden.

I don’t care what Madden’s ‘bash’ was all about. He makes his points being rude and demeaning. Not my style. And, if you are ‘embarrassed’ by Pitt, you need to root for another team that makes you feel good. Pitt’s body of work under Narduzzi is at least mediocre, not embarrassing. Pitt is no Alabama, but surely no Kansas either. I, too, hope the admin leads the program to the next level. For now, I will still be hopeful for Pitt to win anytime they play in any sport.

I didn't listen to Madden's rant, because as I said if I wanted an intelligent conversation about Pitt I go find a reasonably well informed middle schooler. They'd know a hell of a lot more about Pitt and college football than Madden does. The fact that you listen to a simpleton who admits that he says what he does merely to get a rise out of people says almost as much about you as it does about him.

However, why is it OK when Madden is doing this sort of thing but people bash the PG and their writers all the time? What's the difference.? Some PG writer picks on Pitt about attendance and he's an arsehole, Madden does it and he's some sort of genius. It doesn't make any sense to me. Madden is a guy who cares about one thing and one thing only, getting enough idiots to listen to him to keep his job. Congratulations to you, I guess, for helping Madden achieve his life goals.

I didn't listen to Madden's rant, because as I said if I wanted an intelligent conversation about Pitt I go find a reasonably well informed middle schooler. They'd know a hell of a lot more about Pitt and college football than Madden does. The fact that you listen to a simpleton who admits that he says what he does merely to get a rise out of people says almost as much about you as it does about him.

However, why is it OK when Madden is doing this sort of thing but people bash the PG and their writers all the time? What's the difference.? Some PG writer picks on Pitt about attendance and he's an arsehole, Madden does it and he's some sort of genius. It doesn't make any sense to me. Madden is a guy who cares about one thing and one thing only, getting enough idiots to listen to him to keep his job. Congratulations to you, I guess, for helping Madden achieve his life goals.
Still can't answer my question, I see. His whole rant is laid out for you to easily comprehend at the beginning of this thread. Not one part of it isn't true. If you see a lie there tell me what you think it is.

I'm below 65 years old so I don't read the newspaper often. It is a dead medium to me. 24 to 48hr old news isn't interesting. Twitter is instant and where news is broke and hot takes are laid out these days.

The funny part about Madden is none of you claim to listen or care, but you still get offended by what he says when it comes to Pitt. That's because it is the truth, and the truth hurts. Everyone on this board was singing his praises when he bashed Penn State everyday for 2 straight years (and he still does consistently). Just because you don't agree with his approach to radio, doesn't mean that he is uninformed. In fact, he is right more often than he isn't. He chooses to not discuss Pitt athletics, because every time he does not one person calls in. Radio is a ratings business and he needs to talk about what keeps the needle moving(Steelers and penguins). This week the panthers were too pathetic for him to ignore, something had to be said, and he said it.

I'll say it again. Go to the beginning of this thread, read what he said, and then tell me what is wrong or a lie? You aren't going to hear Pitt's flaws aired so bluntly on the flagship. Even if they did, nobody listens to that station at any point in the day. The ratings illustrate that plain as day. What makes Madden talking about Pitt's flaws so significant is that people actually heard it.

Even if they did, nobody listens to that station at any point in the day.

Actually, that's stations ratings are, and have been for a very long time, better than Madden's station's ratings. While I am sure that Madden's stations loves his ratings, they'd kill for the ratings of the station that no one listens to at any point of the day for the rest of the day.

I never said anything that Madden said is wrong or a lie. Madden is a simpleton, so most likely what he said was something that was completely obvious or something that someone else who knows a hell of a lot more than him told him to say. That's what he does. I mean Madden made a big deal about Pitt's crappy attendance. Wow, that's a new and innovative topic. I wonder why we never discuss that here? Madden said that Pitt sucks. Wow. Again, I wonder why no one here ever mentions that.

If you want to know what the people who have a superficial understanding of sports are saying, Madden's your guy. In fact it wouldn't surprise me if most of his knowledge about Pitt football comes from this very board right here. It's easier than doing actual research, and a lot quicker too. I just find it funny that you think that a guy ripping on Pitt is somehow something new or different that you never see anywhere else, when you are a regular poster on this board.

And for the record, I'm not offended by what Madden says at all. I don't listen to him because his whole career is built around appealing to the least common denominator. He's said it himself on numerous occasions. He laughs about how dumb his listeners are, and yet you think that the fact that you listen is some sort of badge of honor. You are exactly the kind of person that he laughs at.

lol Jesus H Christ.
Joe. Listen brother.
Sports radio is not supposed to be smart. It's supposed to be entertainment.
Do you really listen to that shit hoping to learn something?
I'm convinced you have literally never smiled. Lighten up.

Actually, that's stations ratings are, and have been for a very long time, better than Madden's station's ratings. While I am sure that Madden's stations loves his ratings, they'd kill for the ratings of the station that no one listens to at any point of the day for the rest of the day.

I never said anything that Madden said is wrong or a lie. Madden is a simpleton, so most likely what he said was something that was completely obvious or something that someone else who knows a hell of a lot more than him told him to say. That's what he does. I mean Madden made a big deal about Pitt's crappy attendance. Wow, that's a new and innovative topic. I wonder why we never discuss that here? Madden said that Pitt sucks. Wow. Again, I wonder why no one here ever mentions that.

If you want to know what the people who have a superficial understanding of sports are saying, Madden's your guy. In fact it wouldn't surprise me if most of his knowledge about Pitt football comes from this very board right here. It's easier than doing actual research, and a lot quicker too. I just find it funny that you think that a guy ripping on Pitt is somehow something new or different that you never see anywhere else, when you are a regular poster on this board.

And for the record, I'm not offended by what Madden says at all. I don't listen to him because his whole career is built around appealing to the least common denominator. He's said it himself on numerous occasions. He laughs about how dumb his listeners are, and yet you think that the fact that you listen is some sort of badge of honor. You are exactly the kind of person that he laughs at.

His rating are substantially higher than the shows on The Fan that he goes up against. It isn't even close. I'm not talking about the ratings the rest of the day while the X is playing crappy music.

Sure, I am a proud listener, because I have been there since the very beginning. He is the most successful radio host in this city. He has a great sense of humor and is provocative. I'll take that over cookie cutter radio any day of the week. I listen to his show to laugh and he delivers consistently.

I never said Madden's ripping on Pitt was innovative. I read it everyday, and sometimes participate in that very thing on this board when necessary. What makes it unique is that he doesn't mince words. He doesn't have Pitt looming over his shoulder like the fan jockeys do. And like I said, he barely talks Pitt athletics because it doesn't move the needle.

By the way how do you know what he "has said on numerous occasions" if you aren't listening? He actually says he has the dumbest callers.

Call him fat. Call me dumb. It doesn't bother me. I enjoy listening to Mark for entertainment (gasp) and I will support Pitt until I die. With that being said there is nothing wrong with criticizing Pitt lately. They deserve it. You can't keep pooping on your fans over and over again. Things are so bad right now, you have to be able to laugh. We're at a mid 90's level futility in both major sports.

Reactions: paulbl99
What makes it unique is that he doesn't mince words.

The notion that that somehow makes him unique is patently absurd. I mean I get that he likes to pretend that he is unique, and I get that the people who fall for the shtick might think that makes him unique, but that doesn't actually make it so. As I said, the most likely thing that happened was that Madden read this board and patterned his rant after what he read here. That's not unique, that's basically plagiarism. He knows less about Pitt football and Pitt basketball (and those sports in general) than does the casual Pitt fan, because he simply doesn't care about Pitt except as a way on rare occasions to drive callers on his show. The idea that he had some sort of unique, insightful commentary about any sport other than hockey is ridiculous, because he doesn't understand any sport other than hockey well enough to do that.

Simply put madden isn’t funny, and he really doesn’t have a clue what he is talking about in most cases. He might know jockeys but is clueless in other areas.

Same with zeise...he knows football, but let him talk about baseball or basketball and he literally sounds like del constantly complaining about nutting, and bashing a basketball team for not playing “uptempo.”

I guess some people just like to hear people talk on their own level, which madden does well.

Joe, Maddein is one of us.
He's actually a Pitt fan.
He's stated it many many times.
That's why it matters.

Mark Madden can rip on pitt all he wants, I really don't care. He's a shock jock and they're bad this year, obviously he's gonna ramble on and make it sound like the program is worse than it really is. I'm totally ok though with anyone who every single time they mention a game at penn State refers to them as "creepy valley".

Still can't answer my question, I see. His whole rant is laid out for you to easily comprehend at the beginning of this thread. Not one part of it isn't true. If you see a lie there tell me what you think it is.

I'm below 65 years old so I don't read the newspaper often. It is a dead medium to me. 24 to 48hr old news isn't interesting. Twitter is instant and where news is broke and hot takes are laid out these days.

The funny part about Madden is none of you claim to listen or care, but you still get offended by what he says when it comes to Pitt. That's because it is the truth, and the truth hurts. Everyone on this board was singing his praises when he bashed Penn State everyday for 2 straight years (and he still does consistently). Just because you don't agree with his approach to radio, doesn't mean that he is uninformed. In fact, he is right more often than he isn't. He chooses to not discuss Pitt athletics, because every time he does not one person calls in. Radio is a ratings business and he needs to talk about what keeps the needle moving(Steelers and penguins). This week the panthers were too pathetic for him to ignore, something had to be said, and he said it.

I'll say it again. Go to the beginning of this thread, read what he said, and then tell me what is wrong or a lie? You aren't going to hear Pitt's flaws aired so bluntly on the flagship. Even if they did, nobody listens to that station at any point in the day. The ratings illustrate that plain as day. What makes Madden talking about Pitt's flaws so significant is that people actually heard it.

To paraphrase: "I'm a millennial so ranting hot takes is the way I like my news. Stir up controversy, reasoned discussion needs no part of my medium, it is boring." Funny, this same group hates Trump.

ADVERTISEMENT