ADVERTISEMENT

Mark Madden is gold right now

Joe, Maddein is one of us.
He's actually a Pitt fan.
He's stated it many many times.
That's why it matters.

So is Joe Starkey so why all the hatred towards him when he wrote a not so flattering column on Pitt just a week ago or so? Oh....I know why.

I didn't realize people put any stock in what Madden said outside or hockey and soccer.

Starkey is a first class jag off and cheap shot artist. Coined the phrase " Its not my fault Walt" " for Walt having the temerity to say " The players didn't do what they were coached to do" Hey Duzz has said the same damn thing many times. Starkey is a total smart ass jag off. If I was Duzz I would ban the son a bi&ch from the press box

The main reason for Madden being so popular is because the sports talk in Pittsburgh is generally abysmal. Some of you would not believe how much better the Philly sports talk guys are on The Fan compared to their counterparts. It is like night and day. The fact that Ron Cook is still on the radio is astounding.

Starkey is a first class jag off and cheap shot artist. Coined the phrase " Its not my fault Walt" " for Walt having the temerity to say " The players didn't do what they were coached to do" Hey Duzz has said the same damn thing many times. Starkey is a total smart ass jag off. If I was Duzz I would ban the son a bi&ch from the press box

But we all would have come up with that. Again, how come this board is so hard when Starkey says something (a frustrated Pitt fan also) but not Madden? Why? Because Starkey does it in a more intelligent matter, and Madden just bashes.

Look, here's the thing, they both are dead on. Hell, Ron Cook is pretty much dead on. Filaponi is dead on, it is easy to criticize Pitt. I was listening to the Fan on Friday and Starkey even said "I get blasted by Pitt fans for being negative, well what do want me to say after a game like this?" Filaponi was lamenting on Friday "I can't believe how far the program has fell since I been here, I want a good Pitt team, they are more fun to talk about". Filaponi even said they desperately tried to get Heather Lyke on the show on Friday, and was turned down. They were just as equally frustrated by Madden.

Madden is driven by shock, but also by another thing, if you won't come on his show or stiff him for an interview, you are in his crosshairs. Narduzzi has done this. So now Madden is all over Narduzzi and Pitt. But he is not saying anything untruthful.

The only criticism that pisses me off and is lazy and disingenuous is attendance, and "empty stadiums". Pitt made a mistake. Heinz Field is too big to manage Pitt's fanbase. And all "tarping" is trying to do is "right size" the stadium, making it much more in line with most other urban school's capacities. That's it. Not "hiding problems". The "problem or issue, is there are not 65,000 Pitt fans. There aren't. This is a Steeler city and a fair number of college football fans that live here are PSU, WVU, ND or Ohio State fans. It isn't a small city with a huge campus in the middle of nowhere and the only game in town. So Madden knows that, and I felt those shots he took were uncalled for. Because if he has an IQ of 166, he should be able to assess the situation and know the problem.

The solution? Is also obvious but not doable.

Reactions: PerchMan
The main reason for Madden being so popular is because the sports talk in Pittsburgh is generally abysmal. Some of you would not believe how much better the Philly sports talk guys are on The Fan compared to their counterparts. It is like night and day. The fact that Ron Cook is still on the radio is astounding.
PGH TALK RADIO TOOK A HUGE HIT WITH THE DEMISE OF JOE BENDEL FOLLOWED BY DAVID TODD. BOTH GOOD FAIR GUYS. THE FAN IS A JOKE. I ACTUALLY DO NOT LISTEN TO THE RADIO ON THE WAY HOME NOW. STARKEY AND " MULLSEY" ARE UNLISTENABLE. .

Like how, yelling, screaming and coming up with "hot takes"? How?? Please elaborate. I hear this all the time, I want to know what constitutes "good sports talk radio".

I do know what doesn't constitute "good sports talk radio". I will elaborate on that in a moment.

But we all would have come up with that. Again, how come this board is so hard when Starkey says something (a frustrated Pitt fan also) but not Madden? Why? Because Starkey does it in a more intelligent matter, and Madden just bashes.

Look, here's the thing, they both are dead on. Hell, Ron Cook is pretty much dead on. Filaponi is dead on, it is easy to criticize Pitt. I was listening to the Fan on Friday and Starkey even said "I get blasted by Pitt fans for being negative, well what do want me to say after a game like this?" Filaponi was lamenting on Friday "I can't believe how far the program has fell since I been here, I want a good Pitt team, they are more fun to talk about". Filaponi even said they desperately tried to get Heather Lyke on the show on Friday, and was turned down. They were just as equally frustrated by Madden.

Madden is driven by shock, but also by another thing, if you won't come on his show or stiff him for an interview, you are in his crosshairs. Narduzzi has done this. So now Madden is all over Narduzzi and Pitt. But he is not saying anything untruthful.

The only criticism that pisses me off and is lazy and disingenuous is attendance, and "empty stadiums". Pitt made a mistake. Heinz Field is too big to manage Pitt's fanbase. And all "tarping" is trying to do is "right size" the stadium, making it much more in line with most other urban school's capacities. That's it. Not "hiding problems". The "problem or issue, is there are not 65,000 Pitt fans. There aren't. This is a Steeler city and a fair number of college football fans that live here are PSU, WVU, ND or Ohio State fans. It isn't a small city with a huge campus in the middle of nowhere and the only game in town. So Madden knows that, and I felt those shots he took were uncalled for. Because if he has an IQ of 166, he should be able to assess the situation and know the problem.

The solution? Is also obvious but not doable.[/QUOT boston college has a nice cozy stadium. All bleacher seats I believe. About 45K . That is a bout right for an urban school Geo tech does not have a huge stadium either.

Like how, yelling, screaming and coming up with "hot takes"? How?? Please elaborate. I hear this all the time, I want to know what constitutes "good sports talk radio".

I do know what doesn't constitute "good sports talk radio". I will elaborate on that in a moment.

Well, for one thing, I don't change the channel. In Pittsburgh, listening to Ron Cook for 5 minutes makes me long to listen to fingernails scratching a chalkboard.

In Philly, they are actually fans of the local teams and don't act like they are above it all. I don't know why, but Pittsburgh sports guys, for whatever reason, go to extremes to not be fans on the air. That might not be to case for everyone, but it is for most. In Philly, the guys tend to treat the local teams like Madden treats the Penguins. It's refreshing to listen to guys on the air who don't have an inferiority complex.

The solution? Is also obvious but not doable.

okay, here's the thing, The media is dead on as you say. But they won't let it go. To continually go on about the tarping and attendance before the UNC game. That was a bigger talking point than any game strategy. They reach a level that is more than just reporting or opining, it is vindictive. And you look at the backgrounds of these yahoos....not one Pitt grad in sight and many from PSU.

Now I'm not saying go all Altoona Mirror and be 100% PR machine, but how about being a little more supportive of the home team, like you see in Columbus maybe? How about fair treatment when compared to the coverage of PSU? They have a beat writer assigned but has there been anything critical written about the "generational" RB Barkley only getting 2.3 yard per carry against Rutgers? Why isn't anyone grilling Franklin about this, or passing 47 times in the rain against MSU?

Seriously, look at the coverage and tell me there is no bias. Yeah criticize when warranted but they cross the line to vindictive and it is anything but fair coverage.

How far Pitt has fallen? Had a super fun season last year. And, pretty good one the year before that. Bogus year. Injuries, dismissals, coaching gaffes, etc. Super young team and a pretty young coach. I'll be far more critical next and fully expect Pitt to look more like they looked in Narduzzi's first two years rather than this season.

Pitt hasn't really fallen that much. The program has been held together by by a continued insinuation that playing at Heinz Field is great and that they are on the right track. When people could see the glaring problems and criticize those issues here, posters like CrazyPaco would blame the fans and attempt to ridicule them by insisting that Pitt can't do things that much smaller programs and even high schools can do. If you disagreed then obviously you were a moron. Sad.

Reactions: paulbl99
"Slick" is right. If Pitt had blown its season like UPS just did the media ,starting with Starkey and his butt buddy " Mullsey" would be all over Duzz and the coordinators. They blew a 2 touchdown lead with ten minutes left. Yet no criticism. Barkley has fallen off the radar but dum ass Colin Dumlap keeps calling him the best running back in football . ( Yes all of football ,including NFL) The media loves to jerk us off because its such easy pickings. Self hating Pitt fans like RECRUITS just fan the flames.

Some of you are so obsessive about defending a radio host you've never met that it can only be classified as weird. Possibly creepy.

Pitt needs DECADES of success with support from the University, not a cluster every 5 years. Once they begin that process and continue with it for quite some time, then people on the radio will have grown up seeing that success, and they would be more willing to show Pitt support (and respect) on the radio by way of EXPECTING more success.

That starts with building their own stadium. In Oakland. Deal with it.

But, also deal with the likely fact that we aren't going to do that, so be happy playing at Heinz with a 10 win season every 30 years. In front of a half filled stadium. Coaches leaving if ANYBODY else wants them. Assistants leaving for higher pay. Most of the best local recruits going to PSU, Ohio State and Notre Dame. That's how it is.

You get it. Sports talk in this town is absolutely pathetic. It is supposed to be entertainment. Did any of you guys watch the Mike and The Mad Dog 30 for 30? That is what sports talk should be. If you are tuning into these show to learn something, you are not informed at all.
Some of you are so obsessive about defending a radio host you've never met that it can only be classified as weird. Possibly creepy.
He is a really nice and down to earth guy. You should go to one of his Penguins watch parties and have a chat with him. The tough guy wrestling themed act is just that. All for the air. Pittsburgh is lucky to have a show like his, because without it is is one giant snooze fest.

Last edited:
I understand his schtick but the arrogant comment is flat dumb. I’m sure there is some of that anywhere but as a result getting kicked in the old rosin bag for 30+ years I don’t know anyone even close to being arrogant about the program.

Not at all, there are people who come on here and claim that Pitt has a better athletic program than WVU (Not even close) or one guy even claimed better than The U! Arrogant DEFINATELY, arrogance based on ancient history, you want to compare Pitt to other programs right now, try Vanderbilt or Rutgers, Temple is probably doing better at this point. This team never won an outright Big East football title, not even in the watered down BE and people act like we're far superior than teams like Cincy or USF, face it, at this point we aren't. We used to be good at basketball, within the next month the Hoopies and Nitters are going to ream our asses so hard you'll be able to drive an aircraft carrier through it, I actually think Madden was too kind.

Well, for one thing, I don't change the channel. In Pittsburgh, listening to Ron Cook for 5 minutes makes me long to listen to fingernails scratching a chalkboard.

In Philly, they are actually fans of the local teams and don't act like they are above it all. I don't know why, but Pittsburgh sports guys, for whatever reason, go to extremes to not be fans on the air. That might not be to case for everyone, but it is for most. In Philly, the guys tend to treat the local teams like Madden treats the Penguins. It's refreshing to listen to guys on the air who don't have an inferiority complex.

Really? Because I think it you are missing the message.

I KNOW Philly sports and talk show concerning the Flyers, you are right they are fanboys. But are they any more fanboys of the Flyers than the locals are of the Penguins?

Same thing with the Eagles. But again, aren't the locals pretty damn happy and excited over the Steelers? Now what do the two Pittsburgh teams in these categories have over Pitt and the Philly counterparts? SUCCESS!!!

What college football team and talk goes on in Philly? None. Where do you think that fits? I think you people just hear what you want to hear and are upset over the message. I am sure over the last decade the local Philly media has been effusive over the direction of the Sixers, eh?

This is just wrong. Local media are negative on Pitt, because Pitt gives them NOTHING to be positive on. That's it. College football is non existent in Philadelphia, put Pitt in Philly and I wonder how their performance as a program would be framed.

okay, here's the thing, The media is dead on as you say. But they won't let it go. To continually go on about the tarping and attendance before the UNC game. That was a bigger talking point than any game strategy. They reach a level that is more than just reporting or opining, it is vindictive. And you look at the backgrounds of these yahoos....not one Pitt grad in sight and many from PSU.

Now I'm not saying go all Altoona Mirror and be 100% PR machine, but how about being a little more supportive of the home team, like you see in Columbus maybe? How about fair treatment when compared to the coverage of PSU? They have a beat writer assigned but has there been anything critical written about the "generational" RB Barkley only getting 2.3 yard per carry against Rutgers? Why isn't anyone grilling Franklin about this, or passing 47 times in the rain against MSU?

Seriously, look at the coverage and tell me there is no bias. Yeah criticize when warranted but they cross the line to vindictive and it is anything but fair coverage.

Let me throw this back at you? None of the local talk shows really discuss Penn State. Hardly at all. Good or bad. In passing sure. A comparison, yes and it is valid to a point. But why doesn't PSU issues be discussed? Because the local sports show hosts could really care less along with the audience. Isn't that what we want? Because all of the bitching about Pitt, attendance articles and radio segments aside, every one of them is a helluva lot better than nothing, than apathy. Do you want the locals to just completely ignore Pitt altogether like they do Penn State??

We need more fans like " recruits" with his " thank you sir may I have another" bull crap. You may want to get beat around like a piñata but I am fed up with Starkey and his boy toy "Mullsy", Cook and Poni. Eff them.

Not at all, there are people who come on here and claim that Pitt has a better athletic program than WVU (Not even close) or one guy even claimed better than The U! Arrogant DEFINATELY, arrogance based on ancient history, you want to compare Pitt to other programs right now, try Vanderbilt or Rutgers, Temple is probably doing better at this point. This team never won an outright Big East football title, not even in the watered down BE and people act like we're far superior than teams like Cincy or USF, face it, at this point we aren't. We used to be good at basketball, within the next month the Hoopies and Nitters are going to ream our asses so hard you'll be able to drive an aircraft carrier through it, I actually think Madden was too kind.

Madden has an agenda. But he is also a frustrated fan. Pitt basketball? Madden has zero interest nor ability to discuss. It would like be me discussing NASCAR. Again the Fan was really, really good on Friday devoting most of their shows to Pitt's issues, even trying to get Pitt officials to come on, not to poke fun of, but as someone said, discuss the issues what can be done and almost a therapy.

Unfortunately some of the thin skin people on here don't like a message and then they act like babies. I don't see any of the local shows covering Penn State to any extent (except Guy Junker on his Sat WTAE TV Sports), and you guys still bitch about that.

It is time for Pitt and Pitt fans to stop crying and blaming the media and start assessing the program, those actually in charge and decisionmakers, and figure out how to right this ship.

We need more fans like " recruits" with his " thank you sir may I have another" bull crap. You may want to get beat around like a piñata but I am fed up with Starkey and his boy toy "Mullsy", Cook and Poni. Eff them.

So you are saying the local media should just ignore Pitt like they do Penn State and not say anything at all. Except Mark Madden, who is allowed to call you idiots, morons, and losers. And I am self loathing, right?

Let me throw this back at you? None of the local talk shows really discuss Penn State. Hardly at all. Good or bad. In passing sure. A comparison, yes and it is valid to a point. But why doesn't PSU issues be discussed? Because the local sports show hosts could really care less along with the audience. Isn't that what we want? Because all of the bitching about Pitt, attendance articles and radio segments aside, every one of them is a helluva lot better than nothing, than apathy. Do you want the locals to just completely ignore Pitt altogether like they do Penn State??

true on talk shows and I agree with what you say, but the print media is the other half (probably more than half) of the equation and they dedicate a beat writer to covering Penn State. Now by definition beat writers don't opine, but they should perhaps investigate a little. And the ones covering PSU for the PG (and to a lesser extent the trib) are basically propaganda machines. Why isn't anyone investigating Barkely's lackluster production on the beat? They chalk it up to defense keying on him. Why not question game plan or formations?

Now I will admit the PG has gotten a little more objective with the PSU coverage since Micco is gone and Molinari is on the beat. Micco used to hire kids that just graduated from the daily collegian to cover for the PG.....that's how pom pom girl Audrey came to prominence. But once again, if you are going to cover, can't you report on anything negative? Why weren't they grilled for blowing the lead at OSU?

This year has had to be a huge disappointment for UPS. They felt they were entitled to a playoff spot last year and this would be the year. They blew to late lead s and now they won't even play for the Big ten title. No this is huge and barkley is clearly saving his body for the NFL. Yet no one Cook Poni Starkey or his cute little butt buddy "Mullsey" has said a damn thing. Nobody has questioned the coaching or lack thereof.

true on talk shows and I agree with what you say, but the print media is the other half (probably more than half) of the equation and they dedicate a beat writer to covering Penn State. Now by definition beat writers don't opine, but they should perhaps investigate a little. And the ones covering PSU for the PG (and to a lesser extent the trib) are basically propaganda machines. Why isn't anyone investigating Barkely's lackluster production on the beat? They chalk it up to defense keying on him. Why not question game plan or formations?

Now I will admit the PG has gotten a little more objective with the PSU coverage since Micco is gone and Molinari is on the beat. Micco used to hire kids that just graduated from the daily collegian to cover for the PG.....that's how pom pom girl Audrey came to prominence. But once again, if you are going to cover, can't you report on anything negative? Why weren't they grilled for blowing the lead at OSU?

Slick, I don't read PSU articles so I wouldn't know. One thing though, there are a helluva lot of PSU grads in the local sports media and almost NO Pitt grads. That is not the local media's fault as much as it is a course/major emphasis at Pitt.

This year has had to be a huge disappointment for UPS. They felt they were entitled to a playoff spot last year and this would be the year. They blew to late lead s and now they won't even play for the Big ten title. No this is huge and barkley is clearly saving his body for the NFL. Yet no one Cook Poni Starkey or his cute little butt buddy "Mullsey" has said a damn thing. Nobody has questioned the coaching or lack thereof.

So you do or you don't want local media to pay attention to Penn State??

Slick, I don't read PSU articles so I wouldn't know. One thing though, there are a helluva lot of PSU grads in the local sports media and almost NO Pitt grads. That is not the local media's fault as much as it is a course/major emphasis at Pitt.
Brian Batko has been doing a good job with the Pitt coverage. What do you guys have to say negative about him? I think he is pretty damn fair.

So you do or you don't want local media to pay attention to Penn State??
If something good happens at PS it gets positive coverage. If something bad happens, they minimize it.

If something good happens at Pitt it gets minimized. If something bad happens, then Pitt gets first page negative coverage.

Really? Because I think it you are missing the message.

I KNOW Philly sports and talk show concerning the Flyers, you are right they are fanboys. But are they any more fanboys of the Flyers than the locals are of the Penguins?

Same thing with the Eagles. But again, aren't the locals pretty damn happy and excited over the Steelers? Now what do the two Pittsburgh teams in these categories have over Pitt and the Philly counterparts? SUCCESS!!!

What college football team and talk goes on in Philly? None. Where do you think that fits? I think you people just hear what you want to hear and are upset over the message. I am sure over the last decade the local Philly media has been effusive over the direction of the Sixers, eh?

This is just wrong. Local media are negative on Pitt, because Pitt gives them NOTHING to be positive on. That's it. College football is non existent in Philadelphia, put Pitt in Philly and I wonder how their performance as a program would be framed.

What message am I missing?

If something good happens at PS it gets positive coverage. If something bad happens, they minimize it.

If something good happens at Pitt it gets minimized. If something bad happens, then Pitt gets first page negative coverage.

This. Notice how much more coverage Thon got in Pittsburgh immediately after the whole Sandusky scandal.

I dunno, I am watching KDKA and they are leading off with the new video evidence and new criminal charges in the PSU Frat death. You guys just choose to see and hear what you want to.

What "good" do you want the local news to cover with Pitt? What, that Ben DiNucci delivered the newspaper on time as a kid?

Persevering against Youngstown State?

Come on.

Reactions: Pitt79
His delivery isn't pretty but it's all pretty much true. Pitt needs to get it together.
He says things like they are. People often don't like hearing it, but's it's the truth.

I've called in a handful of times and if you make a decent point he'll often entertain it.

Him and Savran are the best local guys to listen to or stream if you're out of state.

PGH TALK RADIO TOOK A HUGE HIT WITH THE DEMISE OF JOE BENDEL FOLLOWED BY DAVID TODD. BOTH GOOD FAIR GUYS. THE FAN IS A JOKE. I ACTUALLY DO NOT LISTEN TO THE RADIO ON THE WAY HOME NOW. STARKEY AND " MULLSEY" ARE UNLISTENABLE. .
Add Dunlap - clueless!!

Programing note. " Recruits" has been playing the contrarian role for years. Him and his band buddies made it a ritual

Last edited:
Programing note. " Recruits" has been playing the contrarian role for years. Him and his band buddies made it a ritual

"Band buddies"? Trust me, I have never, ever been in the band. Jr High, High School or College. I can't even play chopsticks on the piano. So you may have me confused with someone else.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT