ADVERTISEMENT

Massive Choke Job by Pens

What are their playoff chances now?
I know you don’t watch hockey and are making a sarcastic reply, but nothing is a given this year. Some of the bottom teams like Buffalo and New Jersey are showing well and making a push. A good team is going to miss the playoffs. I still don’t think it will be the Pens but they have some real deficiencies showing right now.

I know you don’t watch hockey and are making a sarcastic reply, but nothing is a given this year. Some of the bottom teams like Buffalo and New Jersey are showing well and making a push. A good team is going to miss the playoffs. I still don’t think it will be the Pens but they have some real deficiencies showing right now.
I promise you they will be in the playoffs.

Pretty funny that they honored Free Lunch Franco tonight. He joined a group to try and move the Pens awhile back. Cardboard Carrying Franco was a turncoat.

Had a 5-2 lead, but end up losing 6-5 in OT.
Sullivan believes these games are won in the other teams end, when actually they are won in the neutral zone.

The team needs to forget skill and scoring.All that is needed is intense effort to blunt/frustrate your opponent's efforts.

They've dedicated the next several years to their aging stars. So it will be interesting to see how quickly the panic sets in if they continue to not look great. I'd imagine it sets in pretty quickly. Not ideal for Sullivan and his job security.

The contracts they resigned Letang, Rust and Malkin were team friendly in comparison of going on the open market and getting similar talent.

But.........they needed the shakeup. They needed some change. And this is stale.

And as much as Sullivan may be at his expiration date with this group, I am absolutely totally NOT enamored with Ron Hextall.

Reactions: gary2
Pretty funny that they honored Free Lunch Franco tonight. He joined a group to try and move the Pens awhile back. Cardboard Carrying Franco was a turncoat.
It was Mario and his partner who threatened to move the Pens, if they did not get a new arena deal to their liking.

The Penguins core is aging and the front office is riding them into the sunset rather than rebuild. So you will get flashes of spectacular play that makes you want to buy another 87 or 71 jersey. And you will get duds like last night.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
The Penguins core is aging and the front office is riding them into the sunset rather than rebuild. So you will get flashes of spectacular play that makes you want to buy another 87 or 71 jersey. And you will get duds like last night.
Crazy to bring the entire team back under the same coach.

If you wanted to give this team a chance, you needed a new coach.

If you believe in the coach, you needed a different team.

Personally, I do not want a coach that does not physically protect his players.

The national broadcast crew harped on that a bit.

Last edited:
Father Time is Undefeated.
Father Time/they’re all getting old is valid and will keep getting put out there as it ain’t going away.

But did they lose yesterday, or even a couple of the West coast losses, because they’re getting too old? Other than maybe the Oilers, was the opponent running circles around the Pens in all those losses. I sure don’t think that was the case yesterday. Seems to be more a problem of playing smart vs stupid.

Actually they are getting outskated pretty much nightly since the west coast swing. The opponent is dominating possession and offensive zone time. I know it is very early but, the signs are there that it is likely the year they miss the playoffs. They are old, look slow and they all just look to comfortable. Maybe even more concerning is that they have forgotten how to play with a lead.

Crazy to bring the entire team back under the same coach.

If you wanted to give this team a chance, you needed a new coach.

If you believe in the coach, you needed a different team.

Personally, I do not want a coach that does not physically protect his players.

The national broadcast crew harped on that a bit.
Does Sullivan last until the half way mark?

Actually they are getting outskated pretty much nightly since the west coast swing. The opponent is dominating possession and offensive zone time. I know it is very early but, the signs are there that it is likely the year they miss the playoffs. They are old, look slow and they all just look to comfortable. Maybe even more concerning is that they have forgotten how to play with a lead.
Yeah, I made a post saying they strung up all those losses but weren’t necessarily getting out skated.

But I sure was wrong there after watching Buffalo in the 3rd period. Of course a good bit of that got kickstarted with Buffalo on the PP but then it sure snowballed. If not for it being so disappointing as a Pens fan, it would have been entertaining seeing the superb puck movement by Buffalo setting guys up for nice one timers into open nets.

This is no surprise at all, Hextall should be fired immediately and someone needs to tell Sid he is not the GM.
No way they should have kept this aging team together.
Pretty disgusting to watch this mess.

This is no surprise at all, Hextall should be fired immediately and someone needs to tell Sid he is not the GM.
No way they should have kept this aging team together.
Pretty disgusting to watch this mess.
Sid is more important than any gm

I envy those people who aren't into sports. LOL. Because locally, being a sports fan sucks right now.
Especially when many saw it coming with the Pens and screamed to make an overhaul…but nooooo…..

We mostly saw it coming with Pitt as well, but were thinking with heart vs head. We all lived through the relentless mediocrity of Cig the first time here, and from videos, how slow and unremarkable Slovis was. But…Cig coached Jerkovic! And Slovis was at USC! USC!!!!

With the Steelers it was utterly predictable knowing how bad the OL is, how overrated the TB and receivers, and delusionally overrated that the defense is. And frankly how arrogant in its delusion that the coaching is. I just regret that Pickett is being thrown to the wolves and will be scapegoated by the end.

Reactions: BreakingPitt
I could score on this defense. Letang is no longer a number 1. Dumolin has really slowed down. The rest of them are nameless hacks.

ADVERTISEMENT