ADVERTISEMENT

Massive Choke Job by Pens

Addendum
Other than letang (-8) and his parter dumo (-5)
Resigning Malkin to a friendly deal was a great move
Yeah. I mean Sid is Sid, but he hasn't been that good the past few games. (Who has). Geno had the shift of the season the other night and has been good. Guentzel's Guentzel. Zucker has been good. Rust and Rackell have been okay, but all analytics show that they need to be switched back to Rackell with Sid and Rust with Malkin. The numbers are strikingly different even if Sid want to play with Rust, sorry Sid.

The bottom 6? Complete excrement. Carter was a disastrous extension, which I called the moment it was signed. Didn't get why an aging needed to extend its oldest player. I couldn't believe they resigned Kapanen. The rest of the guys are a bunch of curtain jerkers, "4A" type of players who are good minor league players but fringe at best NHL players. This is what happens when your draft pool dries up.

Defense? I think POJ has been okay. I see the talent there. Petterson has been okay. Everyone else? Awful. Letang's a disaster right now. Dumoulin has turned into Jack Johnson yet Sully keeps on keeping on, not just playing him but giving him #1 minutes??? Petry has been a disaster and Ruuta has been "meh" at best. John Marino would look pretty good right now.

Goalies? They are allowed to steal an occasional game, but they are facing 35+ high quality shots a night.

I lay this at the feet of Hextall/Burke (what exactly does Burke do?) and would have thought Fenway Sports Management might have brought in their own folks. May still do it. But Sully is now on the hot seat. Great coach, no doubt wouldn't be out of a job for long, but he is so stubborn and he punishes always the least senior of the egregious players, never the vet. Rackell needs back up with Sid. Rust needs to be with Geno. Dumo needs to sit. Letang needs off of the #1 PP,

Sully might not make December if this keeps up.

#TankforBedard

Overcommiting to aging stars and a coach who hasn't delivered since what seems like eons ago now is going to prove disastrous. We are likely going to take a trip backward in the time machine to circa 1982, 83 and see what the Pens looked like before #66 came here and saved hockey in the Burgh. It didn't have to be this way, but , the die is now cast.

Overcommiting to aging stars and a coach who hasn't delivered since what seems like eons ago now is going to prove disastrous. We are likely going to take a trip backward in the time machine to circa 1982, 83 and see what the Pens looked like before #66 came here and saved hockey in the Burgh. It didn't have to be this way, but , the die is now cast.
I understand the approach, partly.
The COVID year aside, that was a joke, but the last 2 years they had over 100 points, top 10 in the league, and Jarry was so bad in 2021 and we had to rely on a 3rd string career minor leaguer in 2022 and should have won both series. So that is what management is/was banking on.

But they also failed to acknowledge, everyone is older. There comes a point where you have to start moving on.

Too old and slow. You knew it was coming.
It seems more and more likely that they felt they needed to bring these guys back to assure some degree of crowd during the long pointless regular season games. Perhaps their market research showed the older affluent comfortable (resistant to change) fans that buy their season tix and attend Tuesday night November games, would not do so if the team didn’t bring back Tanger and Geno.

He the cousin of Logan Cooley who went #2 overall in the 2022 NHL draft. I remember Mooney;'s dad in high school. I think he played for North Catholic.
More on Mooney. He is considered the top American for his draft class which I believe is 2025, and a top 5 draft pick. Which is impressive, Pittsburgh could produce two top 5 draft picks in 3 draft classes.

Reactions: JD1976
ADVERTISEMENT