ADVERTISEMENT

MATCH DAY - #3 Iowa State

This comes down to the individual versus team aspect.
From the individual perspective, yes he should redshirt. He's really good right now and could be an All-American. He's unbelievable on the mat, but he's not elite on his feet right now. If he wrestles the postseason, I'd be surprised if anyone goes on the mat with him if they don't have to. Make it a freestyle match and you've got a chance.
So yes, take the redshirt, try to add some weight, and give him time to improve on his feet.
From the team perspective, don't redshirt him and look for Pitt's best NCAA performance in decades. It's not a given by any means, but if Cole, Nino, and Micky wrestle to their rankings (or better) and Dayton can get on the podium, they're a top-10 team.
Northwestern finished sixth at NCAAs last year with four All-Americans. The Wildcats had 10 national qualifiers - which, as I've mentioned before isn't completely unrealistic for Pitt to do if Pitzer wrestles the postseason. Camacho is hanging around the No. 33 ranking. Cheez is unranked but there's still hope that he can catch fire like he did last year, and Luca just upset the No. 8 guy in the country.
Everyone would have to wrestle really well at the same time for this to happen, but it's not impossible.
Of course, it's also possible that Cole and Micky get burned by their close matches Dayton can't get the takedowns he needs to be dominant and Nino ends up as the only AA.
Tough decision for the Pitt staff.
Cole and Micky close matches cost us the match. One of them needed a bonus or both winning by 4 points.

Cole and Micky close matches cost us the match. One of them needed a bonus or both winning by 4 points.
Yeah, basically those two BS takedowns that Cole gave up in the third. I really hate how he wrestles with a comfortable lead against good competition. Wish he took more from Micky with his Russian and kept people at bay with his underhooks.

Reactions: jctrack
This comes down to the individual versus team aspect.
I would take the the individual over the team. The team aspect, as you describe, is very iffy. Even if everything goes our way, the best we can hope for is a top 10 finish. Yes, it would be the best finish for Pitt in a long time, but it isn't like we have a chance for a team national championship if Dayton wrestles. On the other hand, a redshirt for this year would allow him to have four full seasons as a bigger, stronger, and more mature wrestler rather than three and a half seasons without those advantages. He is going to have a really special career and a redshirt will contribute to that.

Last edited:
Reactions: persp and dougpaper
I was just saying the same thing. Feel bad for Pitzer, but his bout shouldn't have mattered, or at least as long as he didn't give up bonus points in his loss.

I mean the team lost on criteria to the 3rd ranked team in the nation. Micky was not going to bonus that guy. Not even Daton Fix has bonused him, good win by Micky but let’s be realistic. Cole I think had a chance if he kept his foot on the gas on the pedal but once again got to look at his opponent. Swiderski was either the #1-3 overall recruit this past year according to all the major publications. To put in perspective that is roughly 30-40 spots ahead of Pitzer!! My point is there shouldn’t be any finger pointing or blame to go around every guy stepped up and did their job. Obviously stinks to lose in the last ten seconds and I’m sure a lot of guys would say they would have liked to have scored a major or better but no one laid an egg out there. Just hate seeing the lack of excitement when that was truly the best match I have ever been to. The development by coach Gavin and Co is truly unbelievable at this point. Luca beating a top ten guy then beating a top ten recruit the next day is prime example

Really happy with the progression of the team. We have a lot of young talent and with a year of college work outs they are a great foundation. Dayton needs a year of strength training and he probably still could AA this year but his leg looked like it is a concern. That was one of the best matches i have ever seen. Hopefully convinces some local talent that pitt might be IT!

I mean the team lost on criteria to the 3rd ranked team in the nation. Micky was not going to bonus that guy. Not even Daton Fix has bonused him, good win by Micky but let’s be realistic. Cole I think had a chance if he kept his foot on the gas on the pedal but once again got to look at his opponent. Swiderski was either the #1-3 overall recruit this past year according to all the major publications. To put in perspective that is roughly 30-40 spots ahead of Pitzer!! My point is there shouldn’t be any finger pointing or blame to go around every guy stepped up and did their job. Obviously stinks to lose in the last ten seconds and I’m sure a lot of guys would say they would have liked to have scored a major or better but no one laid an egg out there. Just hate seeing the lack of excitement when that was truly the best match I have ever been to. The development by coach Gavin and Co is truly unbelievable at this point. Luca beating a top ten guy then beating a top ten recruit the next day is prime example
I agree. This was a great team performance and might be the most fun wrestling match I've ever been to, which is saying something.
I don't put any blame on anyone in this one. Did Cole get sloppy at the end? Yes. Was that going to be the difference in the match? No. I'd argue that he might have been more aggressive in this one than in most of his matches this year. He pushed Swiderski around the entire first period. He tried a cement mixer. He tried a headlock. He got the takedown on the head in the hole. For an NCAA tournament-level match, that's not a bad first period.
We can all wish that Micky and Cole put up 15 points a match, but it's not going to happen. They are what they are.

I was not blaming those guys for the loss, only pointing out that they both could be scoring more points. Swiderski has a 8-6 record having just been majored by #29 wrestler from WVU. The match should not be that close.

I was not blaming those guys for the loss, only pointing out that they both could be scoring more points. Swiderski has a 8-6 record having just been majored by #29 wrestler from WVU. The match should not be that close.
I understand. His record is probably more an indicator that he is a true freshman who is immensely talented going through the typical ups and downs one would expect. Swiderski lost 2-1 to real woods back in December and lost 3-2 to Mosha Swartz. I do agree that Cole had a chance to make it a major if he pushed for one more takedown and got on top because he was not getting out that would be my biggest critic

I understand. His record is probably more an indicator that he is a true freshman who is immensely talented going through the typical ups and downs one would expect. Swiderski lost 2-1 to real woods back in December and lost 3-2 to Mosha Swartz. I do agree that Cole had a chance to make it a major if he pushed for one more takedown and got on top because he was not getting out that would be my biggest critic
swiderski’s best match this year was against Real Woods, but it was Woods first match this season coming off injury. I agree that overall Pitt wrestled a great match. It was difficult sitting only a few feet away from Pitzer losing the TD. I had predicted a 5-5 match. thought is would come down to bonus points.

swiderski’s best match this year was against Real Woods, but it was Woods first match this season coming off injury. I agree that overall Pitt wrestled a great match. It was difficult sitting only a few feet away from Pitzer losing the TD. I had predicted a 5-5 match. thought is would come down to bonus points.
I was more lamenting than blaming but it may not have read that way. I was mostly feeling bad for Pitzer and don't want him to feel like the team loss was his fault.
As for redshirt/no redshirt, I'm in the camp to try to finish as high as possible to keep the momentum going. This is the most solid team that I can remember Pitt having, so I say go for it. A top 10 finish at nationals would help high school recruiting and the transfer portal. That decision doesnt need to be made yet though obviously. And what do the Pitzers want?

I’m with you on the recruiting bump this should help with. I know they are always hot commodities with bigger programs, but I would like to see us tap more into the Blair Acad, Wyoming Sem, and Malvern Preps of the world.

Honestly, the thing that stuck out the most to me in regards to Pitzer was that he couldnt lift Schuyler to go out the back door when he got in deep on a shot. To me, that is a big problem that will only get worse as he fatigues wrestling guys like that in ACCs and NCAAs.

I was originally very much a pro-pull of the redshirt for Pitzer but Ive changed my mind. I dont think he is a sure podium guy now. Lets bulk him up and set him free next season

Honestly, the thing that stuck out the most to me in regards to Pitzer was that he couldnt lift Schuyler to go out the back door when he got in deep on a shot. To me, that is a big problem that will only get worse as he fatigues wrestling guys like that in ACCs and NCAAs.

I was originally very much a pro-pull of the redshirt for Pitzer but Ive changed my mind. I dont think he is a sure podium guy now. Lets bulk him up and set him free next season
Completely agree. The odds of him doing more damage over the next four years increases. Maybe, just maybe not this year. He’s a stud and only going to get tougher.

Reactions: jctrack and persp

I understand why some want him to take the redshirt after tonight's dual. I have two issues with it, though:

I.) I like the position it puts us in for the conference tournament title this season. With Holden performing so well in-conference, I could easily see us taking 33, 41, 65, 97, and HWT and letting everyone else in the ACC fight over the remaining five classes.

II.) The redshirt was to get weight on him... but it didn't succeed. Figure it out this summer and redshirt him next season when we're without Nino/Micky and, more importantly, with the trophy in the trophy case. There's this presupposition that he has to take the redshirt now, but Matt Wilps for example, redshirted between his sophomore & junior seasons. Zain Retherford wrestled as a freshman then redshirted. Non-freshmen will be taking redshirts for the Olympics next year, also, as they did in 2020.

My guess is they're going to redshirt him and if that's what the kid wants, by all means. But we have a chance to really position ourselves nicely March 5th, if we postpone. The risks (him potentially not be able to wrestle attached by delaying his redshirt) pale in comparison to the gains both tangible (ACC tournament title to potentially pair with a regular season title?) & intangible (recruiting hype with a potential local Freshman All-American).

I understand why some want him to take the redshirt after tonight's dual. I have two issues with it, though:

I.) I like the position it puts us in for the conference tournament title this season. With Holden performing so well in-conference, I could easily see us taking 33, 41, 65, 97, and HWT and letting everyone else in the ACC fight over the remaining five classes.

II.) The redshirt was to get weight on him... but it didn't succeed. Figure it out this summer and redshirt him next season when we're without Nino/Micky and, more importantly, with the trophy in the trophy case. There's this presupposition that he has to take the redshirt now, but Matt Wilps for example, redshirted between his sophomore & junior seasons. Zain Retherford wrestled as a freshman then redshirted. Non-freshmen will be taking redshirts for the Olympics next year, also, as they did in 2020.

My guess is they're going to redshirt him and if that's what the kid wants, by all means. But we have a chance to really position ourselves nicely March 5th, if we postpone. The risks (him potentially not be able to wrestle attached by delaying his redshirt) pale in comparison to the gains both tangible (ACC tournament title to potentially pair with a regular season title?) & intangible (recruiting hype with a potential local Freshman All-American).
Very good points here

I agree, especially with who we’re losing and I don’t see who is replacing Micky at this point. Would be nice to get that ACC Championship.

Reactions: Chaos
ADVERTISEMENT