ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Canada - New Steelers OC

Seems to have the rep as a guy thats a little tough to get along with, but not much doubt he is a very creative offensive mind. Still think it will turn out to be a good hire.

Seems to have the rep as a guy thats a little tough to get along with, but not much doubt he is a very creative offensive mind. Still think it will turn out to be a good hire.
If he can engineer anything close to what he did here in 2016, we will he just fine! Now get this guy (and Big Ben) an offensive line...

Reactions: TheFormula
Great, here comes a bunch of threads about how Narduzzi is a bad boss because at the coaches clinic years ago he said Canada "wasn't even that good."

The league is heavy into mud direction. I think Canada can bring some stout creativity to the offense.

Rudolph and Cobb might have beaten Cleveland. 2 of the 4 interceptions that Ben tossed were just horrible.

Reactions: quip
I think this means Ben is all but gone. I just can't see Canada allowing him the level of freedom to call plays that he has had in recent years.

Funny things is I think he was basically calling the plays at the beginning of the year. You could see and pinpoint when tye creativity was sucked from the offense. I also think if Ben didn't get along with him it is a clear message they are prepared to move on as an organization.

Funny things is I think he was basically calling the plays at the beginning of the year. You could see and pinpoint when tye creativity was sucked from the offense. I also think if Ben didn't get along with him it is a clear message they are prepared to move on as an organization.

I don't know, maybe they got along but it's a whole different relationship as OC vs QB coach. I'm guessing Canada had limits where now he hopefully will not. I think this could be a great hire.

Reactions: pittmeister
I don't know, maybe they got along but it's a whole different relationship as OC vs QB coach. I'm guessing Canada had limits where now he hopefully will not. I think this could be a great hire.

Ben quit running the plays that Canada was hired to integrate into the offense. I'd assume Ben won't be here next year. If he is it's going to be a drama shit show.

Ben quit running the plays that Canada was hired to integrate into the offense. I'd assume Ben won't be here next year. If he is it's going to be a drama shit show.

For sure. I was about 60% Ben was done before this hire. I'm probably at about 80% now. But anything is possible.

Great, here comes a bunch of threads about how Narduzzi is a bad boss because at the coaches clinic years ago he said Canada "wasn't even that good."

Given the stillers recent history of hiring terrible assistant coaches...

Reactions: taintpunch

Actually shows he is a great boss. Even though he felt that way, he still went and got the guy a million and told him if he stayed he would be a head coach in a year. The negative comment is bad, but he wasn’t his boss when he said that.

Ben likely gone, he ain't gonna like Canada's offense

I wouldn’t be too quick to say that he’ll be gone. He’d give up a lot of money and I don’t think the Steelers will release him. Furthermore, he didn’t exactly go out on a high note. I wouldn’t be shocked if he hung it up, but I think it’s more likely he restructures his contract so they can sign some of their free agents.

I also don’t think Canada’s offense is going to be exactly like we saw at Pitt. It’s a philosophy more than a scheme. It takes advantage of zones of weakness and is less reliant on offensive talent. Just puts playmakers in positions to succeed. I think you’ll see a more effective running game as a result...regardless of who is running the ball. It will open up the field for Ben to throw easier passes.

Well if he sticks around next year it's unlikely to be a high note then either.

Unless he was really hoping to go 7-9 once in his career.

Yeah. I could see him starting out well again but it's just a matter of time before he tweaks the elbow or knee again and reverts to what we saw late this season at best. He's just a sitting duck back there with his lack of mobility.

I'd think it would be better to proceed without him rather than proceed with him and prep for the next injury.

Reactions: columbus mike
Yeah. I could see him starting out well again but it's just a matter of time before he tweaks the elbow or knee again and reverts to what we saw late this season at best. He's just a sitting duck back there with his lack of mobility.

I'd think it would be better to proceed without him rather than proceed with him and prep for the next injury.

Look at what the schedule is going to look like next year. If he comes back and isn't better, and better by more than just a little, then seven wins might actually be a pipe dream.

Reactions: columbus mike
Personally, I think his offense has a chance to really struggle for several reasons in the NFL -

1. The obvious - talent. If you can't run the ball, all the bells and whistles aren't going to help you at that level. The inability to move a guy from point A to point B is a must. I'm not sure the Steelers have anyone like that on their roster.

2. His jet series is a series based system. That's what he's hung his hat on in the college game. Canada tries to play the "if/then" philosophy based upon how teams defend the jet sweep. In the NFL, the defenses don't have to sacrifice coverage for run fits like they do in the college game.

Series based offenses really don't work in the NFL or at least they really haven't been tried for many years.

3. Are the NFL guys going to buy into all of the amount of shifts and motions like they do in college? It's really genius stuff, but I can see problems with guys buying in.

Where I'm optimistic is that if Ben comes back, they can maybe cut his attempts in 1/2 per game and thus making him more dangerous the run game is working. The only way this happens is if they completely revamp the OL and RB positions.

Reactions: 303vND
Here’s another thought...make a move to get Nate Peterman in as a backup. Gruden loves him, I know, but can’t imagine it’d take very much.

He looked awesome in his limited spot duty for Carr this year...

Yeah, he had a nice duel against Herbert and the Chargers. My only question with him is durability given his style of play. But he seems like a guy that could have success somewhere where he isn't asked to do too much.

I’m not a Steelers fan, but I think Mariotta would look awesome in the Canada offense.
You’re not wrong; you’d think that you could get him for cheap as well. Another one that may be an option (if you want to draft a QB) is Trey Lance. I’m still against them drafting a QB this year but he checks a lot boxes that they tend to look for in a QB.

Reactions: 303vND
You’re not wrong; you’d think that you could get him for cheap as well. Another one that may be an option (if you want to draft a QB) is Trey Lance. I’m still against them drafting a QB this year but he checks a lot boxes that they tend to look for in a QB.
Lance will be long gone before they pick.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Here’s another thought...make a move to get Nate Peterman in as a backup. Gruden loves him, I know, but can’t imagine it’d take very much.

I believe he spent almost the entire season on the inactive list as the 3rd QB, I’d think you could get him for next to nothing.

Actually shows he is a great boss. Even though he felt that way, he still went and got the guy a million and told him if he stayed he would be a head coach in a year. The negative comment is bad, but he wasn’t his boss when he said that.
I agree with you. He said the negative comment in jest, but people on this board think that he was serious and attack Narduzzi for it.

Impressive ability to scheme and play call to maximize the impact of the strengths and talents of his individual personnel. A simple concept that very few of his peers seem to grasp. Lot of square peg round hole, my way or the highway guys in that profession.

ADVERTISEMENT