ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Hayes is 100% Spot on...

Because they're probably eventually gonna cancel it across leagues for fall and then cancel it completely in spring?

Reactions: 303vND
It’s another example of “extending the game” so you prolong final judgment. Coaches do it by fouling when up 3 in basketball, or punting when you could seal the game on a 4th and short in your own end. You force the final game deciding play until later. Saying that we “want to play in the spring” also prolongs the time till that moment where the rubber hits the road.

But one thing that the last 5 months has taught me...time alone doesn’t change things. February will come quick and if the virus landscape doesn’t change, neither will the obstacles. I guess you get time to figure stuff out, but they’ve had months already to work on how to do it safely

Nope. The players dont have to play 2 seasons in 10 months. They can quit if they want. Also, there MAY be a vaccine available by Spring which COULD make a Spring season rather normal. He couldn't be more wrong.

Are we about to prioritize giving a potential vaccine to college football players ahead of other citizens of the country? It's bad enough watching professional athletes get Covid test results back the next day when everyday people have to wait upward of 2 weeks.

Reactions: pitt90seven
Are we about to prioritize giving a potential vaccine to college football players ahead of other citizens of the country? It's bad enough watching professional athletes get Covid test results back the next day when everyday people have to wait upward of 2 weeks.

1. Healthcare workers
2. People over say, 60 and younger people of high risk
3. Certain professions deemed to be high risk (meat packing, teachers, pro athletes....college athletes though not a profession go here)

One thing Trump did that I agree with is this Operation Warp Speed thing will have several hundred million doses ready to go on Day 1 of whatever vaccine gets greenlighted under their program. How? They are beginning to fund the production of the millions of doses BEFORE the vaccine is approved in the hopes that it eventually does get approved. So, yes, it may eventually be a waste of billions of dollars but its a risk they are taking.

Reactions: PantherDDS
Nope. The players dont have to play 2 seasons in 10 months. They can quit if they want. Also, there MAY be a vaccine available by Spring which COULD make a Spring season rather normal. He couldn't be more wrong.
There very well maybe a vaccine available but it is highly unlikely to be in wide spread use come March. Most think it will be approved in January or February and manufacturers are making it now but you still have to distribute it and getting 100 million doses out in a month or two isn't likely. Even with that the players are unlikely to be included in that first 100 million and 100 million vaccinated won't be enough to keep the virus from spreading although it should slow it down.

Reactions: pittmeister
I am finding that every group with which I deal is using COVId as an excuse for shotty performance.

I'm not suggesting that the Big Ten made the wrong decision, but I am suggesting they didn't fully consider the alternative.

Washing ones hands of a problem is easy.

I just left a voicemail message for a professional organization to which I belong telling them to correct a mistake they admittedly made. I can't speak to a person live "due to COVId 19" and they won't return my emails.

Have I received a refund of my dues? Fat chance.

Who would have thought that the only group of companies to voluntarily offer refunds would be auto insurance companies?

That's the effed up world in which we live.

There very well maybe a vaccine available but it is highly unlikely to be in wide spread use come March. Most think it will be approved in January or February and manufacturers are making it now but you still have to distribute it and getting 100 million doses out in a month or two isn't likely. Even with that the players are unlikely to be included in that first 100 million and 100 million vaccinated won't be enough to keep the virus from spreading although it should slow it down.
Recall that being available and working are two different conditions.

Reactions: Mikefln
I think the ACC is listening to their medical advisory group which is telling them they can play safely (or with no greater risk than living as a student on campus). I'd be interested what Pitt's medical folks are telling the chancellor, my guess is it's the same sentiment as Dr. Wolfe from Duke.

Cases per day are down ~25% over the last month. They will continue to drop over the next month. Put a plan in place and manage the best you can. Those that follow the plan play, those that don't won't be playing.

I like the B12 starting near the end of September. Thought the ACC should have done the same.

I think the ACC is listening to their medical advisory group which is telling them they can play safely (or with no greater risk than living as a student on campus). I'd be interested what Pitt's medical folks are telling the chancellor, my guess is it's the same sentiment as Dr. Wolfe from Duke.

Cases per day are down ~25% over the last month. They will continue to drop over the next month. Put a plan in place and manage the best you can. Those that follow the plan play, those that don't won't be playing.

I like the B12 starting near the end of September. Thought the ACC should have done the same.

UPMC's lead doctor said driving on the turnpike is more dangerous. I would imagine that makes it difficult for the associated university to act like it's a big deal. Locally, there hasn't been a big outbreak.

So far as the numbers, I do think more people are taking precautions and that is helping the numbers. Those wacky masks, right?

Reactions: Gunga_Galunga

Reread my previous post. The Federal Government is funding hundreds of million doses BEFORE approval in the hopes of eventual approval.

Recall that being available and working are two different conditions.

I think there's going to be a WHOLE LOT of people who are going to lose it when they realize that whenever a vaccine becomes available, the likelihood of it being even 60% or 70% effective is going to be very slim.

Couple that with the numbers of people who don't get an influenza vaccine today, and most likely won't get a covid vaccine, we're going to be dealing with this for the foreseeable future.

1. Healthcare workers
2. People over say, 60 and younger people of high risk
3. Certain professions deemed to be high risk (meat packing, teachers, pro athletes....college athletes though not a profession go here)

One thing Trump did that I agree with is this Operation Warp Speed thing will have several hundred million doses ready to go on Day 1 of whatever vaccine gets greenlighted under their program. How? They are beginning to fund the production of the millions of doses BEFORE the vaccine is approved in the hopes that it eventually does get approved. So, yes, it may eventually be a waste of billions of dollars but its a risk they are taking.
You just really need to go away. Stay in your house. Do not interact with anyone. Wear your mask 24/7 and never I mean never get within 100 yards of anyone.

Short answer
Is they won’t be playing at all
It’s them trying to grab tv revenue with a “delay”
It’s pretty clear this is just positioning to grab money
Do they get the money before they play? I would think that abc would say well we will have to discuss payment if your moving it to the spring.

UPMC's lead doctor said driving on the turnpike is more dangerous. I would imagine that makes it difficult for the associated university to act like it's a big deal. Locally, there hasn't been a big outbreak.

So far as the numbers, I do think more people are taking precautions and that is helping the numbers. Those wacky masks, right?
Did he really say that?

Reread my previous post. The Federal Government is funding hundreds of million doses BEFORE approval in the hopes of eventual approval.
Reread my statement I said it will be manufactured before it's approved so let's say final approval is Jan 15th. It's going to take months to vaccinate 100 million people and fb players won't be part of that group to get it. Or the vaccine even if it's 90 percent effective won't help for March 1. Also remember that the one vaccine has a booster given 30 days after the first vaccine

Reactions: ThePanthers
I disagree if they subcontract distribution to Chick Fil A Drive thru they would have all 100 million doses along with a delicious chicken sandwich in 9 days...8 if they opened on Sunday.

Did he really say that?

Yeah. Was in reference to “asymptomatic” transmission based on anecdotal information from their own testing. The statement became even more insane when — through personal experience — I learned what kind of test they were referencing and what UPMC considers asymptomatic, with regards to Covid.

I don’t agree with him but my point remains. You can’t have your parter cash cow saying one thing and end up doing something different. I also do believe that people generally are taking more precautions and it’s helping.

Then how would you know the stress that is put on a football player’s body?

well, i played rugby at pitt and we played in the spring and fall no problem.

i never got tired in those days. i'm no super human but my buddies and would play basketball all day, then hit the bars at night and get up for work at 7:00am.

Donkey has real ultimate power.

like big log!

when i was 18-22, i could've played 3 seasons in a year. i don't see the big deal at all.

well, i played rugby at pitt and we played in the spring and fall no problem.

i never got tired in those days. i'm no super human but my buddies and would play basketball all day, then hit the bars at night and get up for work at 7:00am.

like big log!

Dude I get it that rugby is tough. What it's not is a 60 minute car wreck played by the most explosive athletes in the world.

Dude I get it that rugby is tough. What it's not is a 60 minute car wreck played by the most explosive athletes in the world.

yeah that's true. there's no contact in rugby, and have the pleasure of having no padding to absorb hits. and players don't play the full EIGHTY minutes, w/out subbing out.

whereas in football where players only really play 30 minutes, but not really since there are 30 seconds in b/w each play. actual game play is only around 15 minutes total. so someone on offense or defense are only truly active for around 7:30.

foh with this nonsense.

other than MMA, there's no "tougher" sport than rugby.

Last edited:
yeah that's true. there's no contact in rugby, and have the pleasure of having no padding to absorb hits. and players don't play the full EIGHTY minutes, w/out subbing out.

whereas in football where players only really play 30 minutes, but not really since there are 30 seconds in b/w each play. actual game play is only around 15 minutes total. so someone on offense or defense are only truly active for around 7:30.

foh with this nonsense.

Who on Pitt's rugby team would make Pitt's 2 deep in football?

ADVERTISEMENT