ADVERTISEMENT

Matt House leaving Kentucky

NCanton Panther

Heisman Candidate
Sep 22, 2001
i don’t know if this is old news or just came out. Matt House heading to the NFL as linebackers coach for the KC Chiefs.

It caught my eye seeing how Devonshire just committed to Kentucky and their DC is now leaving. Again, I don’t know if this is old news.

Reactions: Parkview57
Here we go again!
Look back at the House posts and if I remember correctly the majority of you didn't think he was PITT material????
The he's not PITT material list is getting larger every year.
PITT may have a competency issue when it comes to judging coach and player talent.

"it's five o'clock somewhere"
Signed: Mr Buffett
Go PITT & CSU Rams!

Here we go again!
Look back at the House posts and if I remember correctly the majority of you didn't think he was PITT material????
The he's not PITT material list is getting larger every year.
PITT may have a competency issue when it comes to judging coach and player talent.

"it's five o'clock somewhere"
Signed: Mr Buffett
Go PITT & CSU Rams!

That makes zero sense. Pitt made House a first time DC despite only having two years as a college position coach (one at Buffalo and one here). How is his success an indictment of Pitt's competency in coaching hires? If anything it is validation.

If you are talking about Pitt fans, then you may have a point. Plenty were critical of Chryst for what was perceived to be a shallow cast in the search for Huxtable's replacement. But fans, Pitt and otherwise, are always going to be myopic and ill-informed. Still, let's not turn House into post-Cleveland Saban or Belichek just yet.

Devonshire gets recruitedfor the past 3-4 weeks,

And the DC that he was supposed to play for is gone to the league

Transfer portal, anyone?

Reactions: bubba31
Devonshire gets recruitedfor the past 3-4 weeks,

And the DC that he was supposed to play for is gone to the league

Transfer portal, anyone?
I'm sure the assistant coach that recruited him and that he had the relationship is still there.

he probably never even met House.

Mark my words..........Matt House will go on to be a successful NFL defensive coordinator.
Go back in time and check the posts of the Lair free board posters regarding House.

According to most posting here House couldn't find his a-s with both hands.

If coaches and players who PITT declared not PITT material succeed in other places better than PITT, I think we "gots" a problem.

Dravon Henry’s family spoke out and said they didn’t like how Matt House recruited their son. They went on to say Tony Gibson made good eye contact and they liked him better. It should be rather clear to people that certain schools and their recruiters do certain things to land players. Pitt has not been making good eye contact since Wanny was here if you get my drift.

Is that true? Do recruits not meet the Offensive and Defensive Coordinators? Especially on official visits?

I'm not sure I'm buying that.
Coordinators do most of the in person ( at the U or in the home) recruiting especially early on in the process for the majority of recruits.

If the recruit is a "big hitter" the HC is involved a lot.

HC's are usually the closers and make in home visits if necessary to seal the deal.

I posted a long time ago that Mrs Buffett works security at football games in our area. PSU's Sequon Barkley was from our area.
Mrs Buffett was working a game that Franklin helicoptered to, landed on a soccer field and entered the game with an gang of PSU people. Mrs Buffett was three feet away as he entered the gate and said Go PITT as he passed by.
She said he did turn his head to see who the culprit was.

The HC is usually the closer in most recruiting processes unless its someone like Barkley.

Coordinators do most of the in person ( at the U or in the home) recruiting especially early on in the process for the majority of recruits.

If the recruit is a "big hitter" the HC is involved a lot.

HC's are usually the closers and make in home visits if necessary to seal the deal.

I posted a long time ago that Mrs Buffett works security at football games in our area. PSU's Seqon Barkley was from our area.
Mrs Buffett was working a game that Franklin helicoptered to, landed on a soccer field and entered the game with an gang of PSU people. Mrs Buffett was three feet away as he entered the gate and said Go PITT as he passed by.
She said he did turn his head to see who the culprit was.

The HC is usually the closer in most recruiting processes unless its someone like Barkley.
Love the Go Pitt.

Regarding the blowback from Chryst promoting House to DC, Wisconsin's current DC is Jim Leonhard. Prior to his current gig, he had one year of coaching experience, working with the Badgers secondary. After two years as DC, he was a finalist for the Broyles Award this past season.

Maybe "Lumpy" knows what he's doing...

Reactions: pitt_fb_9x1
Regarding the blowback from Chryst promoting House to DC, Wisconsin's current DC is Jim Leonhard. Prior to his current gig, he had one year of coaching experience, working with the Badgers secondary. After two years as DC, he was a finalist for the Broyles Award this past season.

Except that House blew chunks for his duration here. The only "broyle" going on with him was how his defense got cooked. (Yeah, i know, the last few years D were even worse at times)

House had been a video coordinator prior to Chryst giving him the job. Plus, he took like 2.5 months to do it. It was a bowel excrement hire at the time.

To his credit he has improved in the course of the jobs he had since. While at Pitt, he was manure.

Except that House blew chunks for his duration here. The only "broyle" going on with him was how his defense got cooked. (Yeah, i know, the last few years D were even worse at times)

House had been a video coordinator prior to Chryst giving him the job. Plus, he took like 2.5 months to do it. It was a bowel excrement hire at the time.

To his credit he has improved in the course of the jobs he had since. While at Pitt, he was manure.

He was actually the secondary coach under Huxtable.

The observation was somewhat tongue-in-cheek. No doubt that House improved with experience as a coordinator since his time here.

Dravon Henry’s family spoke out and said they didn’t like how Matt House recruited their son. They went on to say Tony Gibson made good eye contact and they liked him better. It should be rather clear to people that certain schools and their recruiters do certain things to land players. Pitt has not been making good eye contact since Wanny was here if you get my drift.

Apparently House's eye contact got better at Kentucky.

He was actually the secondary coach under Huxtable.

The observation was somewhat tongue-in-cheek. No doubt that House improved with experience as a coordinator since his time here.
Or he learned how to intrigue recruits .
giphy.gif

Reactions: BuffetParrothead
Sounds to me like House is an idiot. Why would you stay somewhere like that because of buyout money? Is he that broke?

Is that true? Do recruits not meet the Offensive and Defensive Coordinators? Especially on official visits?

I'm not sure I'm buying that.
There's no set protocol and it varies from recruit to recruit but there's always a lead recruiter which is virtually always a position coach. The recruit will meet the HC and his coordinator on an official. When the recruit is evaluated as high priority by the staff, the HC will make a living room appearance with the lead recruiter and sometimes a coordinator.

My point is this kid wasn't going to UK to play for Matt House, Bob Stoops or the illustrious University of Kentucky. He went because of the relationship with his lead recruiter.

Addendum: I just took a minute to google "Devonshire to UK" and here you go:

Devonshire is the No. 9 player in Pennsylvania in the industry-generated 247Sports Composite.

His relationship with Clinkscale was pivotal in his decision.

"We just talk," he said earlier this month. "We have been building a relationship and getting to know each other more every time we talk and how much we relate with him being from Youngstown and me being from Aliquippa. With coach Clink, with him being from Youngstown, when I first met him, we connected. Knowing him and knowing where he has been from and how it is at Aliquippa, it's like that is really cool."

Anyone who knows anything about Mark Stoops knows that he's extremely hands-on with his defense. He's a career defensive coach and the defense is his baby, particularly with regard to the secondary and coverage schemes. Let's see where House goes from here.

Leonhard worked under Dave Aranda and then Justin Wilcox, the two hottest DCs in college football before they left Wisky. I'd say he probably learned a thing or two from the best.

Before Mark Stoops, who mentored House?

Reactions: Black_Man_Panther
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT