ADVERTISEMENT

Mel Kiper's latest mock draft: Pickett to the Carolina Panthers with 12th overall pick

I wouldn't take 100 % stock in these rankings now, the combine will tell these teams alot more in the spring.

I can't lose faith in KP to the Steelers man.
My preferences are:

1. Pickett to Steelers
2. Pickett to an NFC team
3. Pickett to a non-AFC-North team.

I want to be able to root for him in the NFL.

I wouldn't take 100 % stock in these rankings now, the combine will tell these teams alot more in the spring.
I never understood this. How can someones draft stock go significantly up or down based on 2 days of drills in a controlled environment? We just got finished watching these kids play in real games...some of them for 4 years. I guess that's why I'm not an NFL scout or GM.

Reactions: Dewey Eye
I never understood this. How can someones draft stock go significantly up or down based on 2 days of drills in a controlled environment? We just got finished watching these kids play in real games...some of them for 4 years. I guess that's why I'm not an NFL scout or GM.
It seems like they have value. They should probably be solely for eliminating guys who do well in college but lack the physical tools to do it in the pros instead of boosting guys that have all the physical tools but only have mediocre college careers (see Huey Richardson).

Agree. We have 5 years of film, but we really care about how far they can long jump. Haha

If you're a safety and you go out and run a 4.85, you're probably going to fall of the board. Every kid preps for the combine and there is a ton of pressure. Seeing how someone handles that is a big deal. It's also more than just drills. There are interviews. For a QB, they're going to have them look at defensive alignments on film and see how a kid evaluates what is going on.

Reactions: lilspainishflea

The combine isn't nearly as important for QB as it is for other positions. Running a 4.4 would help Kenny a bit but running a 4.8 wouldn't hurt him at all.

It matters a lot for the more physical positions, especially RB. If you don't have a sub-4.6 at over 205lbs you can basically forget being a long term NFL starter at RB.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
The combine isn't nearly as important for QB as it is for other positions. Running a 4.4 would help Kenny a bit but running a 4.8 wouldn't hurt him at all.

It matters a lot for the more physical positions, especially RB. If you don't have a sub-4.6 at over 205lbs you can basically forget being a long term NFL starter at RB.

Jordan Addison and Mathis will be almost completely based on the combine

Could be one of the reasons explain why they resigned Cam Newton. Mentor the future QB

Since the Steelers schedule gets tough from this point on, they could pick in the top 12. They should draft Pickett.

What would it take to move up to the 10th pick in the draft?

What did we give when we moved up to draft Bush and Troy?

Could be one of the reasons explain why they resigned Cam Newton. Mentor the future QB
The owner of the single greatest college season ever, MVP, and a dude who took a terrible team to the Super Bowl on the back of his greatness. There are worse mentors for KP.

I want to see Kenny race a ghost image of Paris Ford at the combine.
john-candy-del-griffith.gif

Jordan Addison and Mathis will be almost completely based on the combine

Addison's age adjusted production is really good. He'll also have some hardware (Freshman All ACC as of now and maybe All ACC and/or Biletnikoff) that scouts love.

He has requisite height but he's skinny and may need to bulk up a bit if he is going to be a 1st round pick. Agree that testing will be hugely important for him, but I think if he repeats his production again in 2022, he's solidly a mid round pick even if he tests poorly (which I don't expect from a player like him).

Carolina is interesting.

Before committing to Pitt I believe KP committed to Temple when Matt Rhule was the head coach.

I believe Rhule was the one recruiting KP for Temple.

Pretty easy really. If a guy doesn't have the physical ability to play in the NFL it will show in the draft. For instance if a cb looks good in college but runs a 4.8 forty it's unlikely he will ever hack it at the NFL level. Or if a QB can only throw the ball in the low 40 mph he isnt going to be able to play in that league regardless of what else he does well. Mason Rudolph fell on draft boards because his arm strength was below average. Watching him play in college he didn't appear to have a issue with arm strength. But watch him in the NFL and it's obvious he has a major weakness in that area.

To me the combine is more to see if a guy who looks the part really has the ability. I hate it when teams draft a combine warrior, guy who wasn't very good in college but runs like a deer and lifts Volvo's

The Panthers would be a pretty good landing spot for KP. They have some decent WR and McCaffrey is great out of the backfield. Probably better weapons than he would get on most teams. And their defense is strong so he won't necessarily be asked to win every game by himself the way Tua and Trevor Lawrence are asked to.

Pretty easy really. If a guy doesn't have the physical ability to play in the NFL it will show in the draft. For instance if a cb looks good in college but runs a 4.8 forty it's unlikely he will ever hack it at the NFL level. Or if a QB can only throw the ball in the low 40 mph he isnt going to be able to play in that league regardless of what else he does well. Mason Rudolph fell on draft boards because his arm strength was below average. Watching him play in college he didn't appear to have a issue with arm strength. But watch him in the NFL and it's obvious he has a major weakness in that area.

To me the combine is more to see if a guy who looks the part really has the ability. I hate it when teams draft a combine warrior, guy who wasn't very good in college but runs like a deer and lifts Volvo's

Do they measure a QB's throw in mph at the combine?

The owner of the single greatest college season ever, MVP, and a dude who took a terrible team to the Super Bowl on the back of his greatness. There are worse mentors for KP.

Yeah he seems like someone who could be a good mentor, provided he's accepted the fact that his career as a starter is pretty much over.

Would be a nice landing spot for KP. A lot of the items needed for success are there in a great RB (granted he can't stay healthy) and a decent receiving corp. New Orleans would be a good fit as well. Maybe GB given Rodgers is probably leaving (and I don't think Jordan Love will ever be the guy there). Same for Seattle if Wilson moves on.

Reactions: JokePa
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT