ADVERTISEMENT

Meleek Thomas to Overtime Elite for 6 figures

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001

No surprise here. I think Meleek is probably going to be too expensive and for a team like Pitt, not really worth it for a kid who is going to average 12 in his one year before going in the lottery.

Was hopeful we’d have a shot here, but it seems to be trending in the wrong direction. He brings a special type of energy that would’ve been great for the program

Agreed - just not worth throwing that kind of money around for an 18-year-old who will be nowhere close to his prime for the one season you have him. I know we just had two freshman who held their own, but that was probably at about 1/10th the cost.

That said, you never know when a donor will step up and offer NIL funding that is contingent on the money going to a specific player and wouldn't be given otherwise.

Reactions: MarshallGoldberg
He obviously just wanted a quick buck if he went to whatever this garbage third rate league is.

Mike White was his Middle School basketball coach. Thomas skipped out on him and attended an AAU tournament without telling him. NH could have had a heck of a HS team if guys didn’t transfer. Parham played there as well.

By the way on the pay board I called this happening last week. Didn't pick exactly who, but I said "I am guessing Malik Thomas will be pursued and sign with an IMG type of program".

Boom.

I don't blame him. He has accomplished all he can here, Cummings is gone, the local competition not good, let him make some cash and play almost every game against elite talent. It is a wise and sound decision. Unfortunately, that is what High School sports has become.

By the way on the pay board I called this happening last week. Didn't pick exactly who, but I said "I am guessing Malik Thomas will be pursued and sign with an IMG type of program".

Boom.

I don't blame him. He has accomplished all he can here, Cummings is gone, the local competition not good, let him make some cash and play almost every game against elite talent. It is a wise and sound decision. Unfortunately, that is what High School sports has become.
Not to burst your bubble, but this has been known for a lot longer than the past week.

Good for him and his family .

Unless Pitt is one player away from a national championship there’s no reason for them to break the bank for anyone .

How exactly does this work? Don’t you lose college eligibility if you sign a contract with a team?

Saw speculation it’s potentially down to Arkansas and UConn for Thomas. Gross choice from a Pitt perspective but I really don’t want to see Cal poach a local kid (again).

This isn't the Pitt lost a kid sour grapes question, I am being sincere, is he really a UCONN level player? Meaning like Top 20 recruit in the country?

I have just seen some clips and highlights...very good obviously...but he didn't jump off the screen to me like some these kids that go to Duke, Kansas, UCONN. Though I will readily admit I have no eye for hoops talents, which is why I am asking.

This isn't the Pitt lost a kid sour grapes question, I am being sincere, is he really a UCONN level player? Meaning like Top 20 recruit in the country?

I have just seen some clips and highlights...very good obviously...but he didn't jump off the screen to me like some these kids that go to Duke, Kansas, UCONN. Though I will readily admit I have no eye for hoops talents, which is why I am asking.

Yes but he's not going to be a better COLLEGE basketball player in his one year than some random 1st Team All-MAC transfer, who will be a senior. Thomas is going to average 12 PPG and then head to the lottery. Probably not worth the money for a program like Pitt.

Well he just postponed his Arkansas visit so reading the tea leaves, it seems we’re going to find out if he’s a UCONN guy or not. Wanted to see him stay home selfishly but I’ll be somewhat relieved it’s not Cal

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT