ADVERTISEMENT

Men's Soccer beating #7 Notre Dame 1-0...

persp

Senior
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2001
...with 15 minutes to go! ND is bringing the heat right now but Pitt is playing good D. ND just oozes with talent and skill. This could be huge

Huge win for the program. Nice run they've had over the past few weeks. I don't pretend to know a ton about college soccer but they'd seem to be putting themselves in decent position to make the tournament.

...with 15 minutes to go! ND is bringing the heat right now but Pitt is playing good D. ND just oozes with talent and skill. This could be huge

Pitt wins 1-0. Should have been 2-0 but the GK made a great save late on Alexander Dexter.

First win over a Top 10 team in program history. First road win ever in ACC. First win over ND since 2002. Breaks 14 game losing streak vs them.

This is perhaps the biggest win in program history and right now, as it stands, they are in the NCAAT but could play their way out. SMF's soccertology has them needing to win 2 of the next 4 to get in.

I was impressed with ND's skill, passing, and their build-up but they didn't seem to have many difference makers though they have the leading scorer in the ACC. I'll take Kizza and Dexter over anyone on that team. ND was better 1 through 11 but this was no fluke. Pitt dominated the first 20 minutes, ND was better the 2nd part of the 1st half, Pitt scored early in the 2nd and then sat back and defended and did that extremely well. I never had the sense that an ND goal would be coming.

This is a very good Pitt team. Has won 4 out of 5 and only loss came to highly ranked Duke which was basically 1-0 with Duke getting their 2nd goal on essentially a buzzer beater as Pitt was throwing everyone forward.

Reactions: persp
He needed to shoot the ball first time. Taking the extra touch gave the goalie time to close him down.

I thought the same thing.

Of all of the games I've seen, which started with WVU, this was the first team that looked decidedly bigger and faster than Pitt. Admittedly, I got home from work late so I only caught the last 23 minutes so I don't know what the first 67 looked like.

I honestly don't see this team collapsing down the stretch. They seem to really be gelling right now.

Lastly, I love watching Mauriq Hill play. Dude is a beast on the back end

He needed to shoot the ball first time. Taking the extra touch gave the goalie time to close him down.

I thought the same thing.

Of all of the games I've seen, which started with WVU, this was the first team that looked decidedly bigger and faster than Pitt. Admittedly, I got home from work late so I only caught the last 23 minutes so I don't know what the first 67 looked like.

I honestly don't see this team collapsing down the stretch. They seem to really be gelling right now.

Lastly, I love watching Mauriq Hill play. Dude is a beast on the back end

This team plays like 7-8 first year players so they are finally learning to play with one another. They wont "collapse" but their next 5 games are all against NCAAT teams. They could play well and lose all of them.

This team only loses 3 seniors though I think guys like Kizza and Dexter and even Javi Perez could leave as that is very common with high level international players. If everyone comes back, this is a team that could win a National Championship next year. Not that I'm predicting that but there is so much parity in college soccer that I think Pitt would have as good a chance as many to win their final 5 (if they get a bye) or 6.

2 questions if anyone knows:

1. Which of Luxbacher's recruits actually play?

2. Is Robby Dambrot (Duquesne HC son) eligible for a 6th year?

I think there were two of them tonight. The goalie, Outcalt, is a redshirt sophomore so he would be one. And Matt Bischoff is a senior who has played at Pitt for four years. I'm pretty sure that's it, at least from tonight's game.

I think there were two of them tonight. The goalie, Outcalt, is a redshirt sophomore so he would be one. And Matt Bischoff is a senior who has played at Pitt for four years. I'm pretty sure that's it, at least from tonight's game.

That is crazy considering its only year 2.

What about Bryce Cregan?

I saw them play in Columbus against JM. Lethargic. Coach went to speech 101 at half. I was able to listen because they were in a tent.
It means a helluva lot when a coach can get his players to get the best out of themselves.

I am not sure they now are in the NCAAs as someone posted. There likely are 7 locks for the tournament in the ACC: Wake Forest, UNC, Louisville, Notre Dame, Clemson, Duke and NC State. UVA is likely ahead of us for the eighth spot right now. Will the ACC get 9 spots in the tourney? Remember only 12 teams play mens’ soccer: Miami and FSU don’t.

If we beat UVA next week and finish with home wins over Akron and VT, then I think we are probably in. We likely jump UVA for the eighth spot, assuming the ACC gets 8 in. Akron is a former national champion and wins over both Virginia schools would mean we would finish the conference 4-4. That and an overall 11-6 record, with wins over 3 ranked teams, should get us in. But, my scenario presumes one of those ranked teams, Syracuse, doesn’t make it or makes it after we already are selected.

I’ve been watching videos, and Alexander Decker reminds me a tiny bit of Leo Messi. Both are 5’7, and both keep the ball very close to their feet — making it harder for defenders to take it from them. I think the comparison ends there. Messi does things that no other mortal ever has done with a soccer ball. But, even being slightly compared to Messi is a great compliment.

This team is very close to being really, really good in the next year and thereafter. They need to replace 3 FBs and I don’t know if he already has them on the squad or needs to recruit them this year. They are strong up front, but the Midfield needs more creative players in addition to Perez. Still, what the new coach has done in two years is incredible. It’s not just recruiting either. You can see how they have learned to play together better as the year has gone on, and how they have learned how to win.

As far as ND being bigger and faster overall, they were. But, they suffer from the AYOS malady: They were taught from the time they first took up the sport to pass when a defender closes on them. As a result, they can’t beat a defender on the dribble. None of their strikers IMO could have made the move Decker made for the winning goal — back to the goal, turning, like Alan Shearer or Gerd Mueller used to do, and finding a tiny space between two defenders to put the ball in the back of the net. I would imagine most of ND’s goals come off headers or odd-man rushes.

Reactions: dman34006
I am not sure they now are in the NCAAs as someone posted. There likely are 7 locks for the tournament in the ACC: Wake Forest, UNC, Louisville, Notre Dame, Clemson, Duke and NC State. UVA is likely ahead of us for the eighth spot right now. Will the ACC get 9 spots in the tourney? Remember only 12 teams play mens’ soccer: Miami and FSU don’t.

If we beat UVA next week and finish with home wins over Akron and VT, then I think we are probably in. We likely jump UVA for the eighth spot, assuming the ACC gets 8 in. Akron is a former national champion and wins over both Virginia schools would mean we would finish the conference 4-4. That and an overall 11-6 record, with wins over 3 ranked teams, should get us in. But, my scenario presumes one of those ranked teams, Syracuse, doesn’t make it or makes it after we already are selected.

I’ve been watching videos, and Alexander Decker reminds me a tiny bit of Leo Messi. Both are 5’7, and both keep the ball very close to their feet — making it harder for defenders to take it from them. I think the comparison ends there. Messi does things that no other mortal ever has done with a soccer ball. But, even being slightly compared to Messi is a great compliment.

This team is very close to being really, really good in the next year and thereafter. They need to replace 3 FBs and I don’t know if he already has them on the squad or needs to recruit them this year. They are strong up front, but the Midfield needs more creative players in addition to Perez. Still, what the new coach has done in two years is incredible. It’s not just recruiting either. You can see how they have learned to play together better as the year has gone on, and how they have learned how to win.

As far as ND being bigger and faster overall, they were. But, they suffer from the AYOS malady: They were taught from the time they first took up the sport to pass when a defender closes on them. As a result, they can’t beat a defender on the dribble. None of their strikers IMO could have made the move Decker made for the winning goal — back to the goal, turning, like Alan Shearer or Gerd Mueller used to do, and finding a tiny space between two defenders to put the ball in the back of the net. I would imagine most of ND’s goals come off headers or odd-man rushes.

Pitt's RPI is 14th right now. If this were Selection Sunday, they'd easily be in, hosting a 1st Round game. However, they have plenty of games left to play their way out. In my opinion, they need to win 2 of their next 4 to get in. BTW, the ACC did send 9 last year.

The Dexter to Messi thing.....other than both being 5'7 and playing soccer I dont agree but I'll give you one. Julian Green, who was with the USMNT before they realized he wasn't to that level. With Dexter being German, I wouldn't be surprised if he left after this year to play with a Bundesliga youth side or a maybe a 3rd or 4th division German team.

What about Bryce Cregan?

He played two seasons at Akron and then transferred here, so I don't think so.

Goes to show you the complete rebuild that Vidovich had to do. Really, its very similar to the rebuild Stallings has in front of him as he left with only 2 ACC-level underclassmen (Luther and Cam Johnson). The difference is Vidovich recruits with the best of them and Stallings does not.

Reactions: persp and jctrack
ADVERTISEMENT