ADVERTISEMENT

Mens Soccer - New Roster

I’ll be curious about this one. He played at Century so who knows. But I always chuckle when HS stats, especially from a place like Charleroi, are referenced in a college bio. 70 goals in a hs season probably means that he could have scored 100 if he wanted to or if his coach let him. He was playing against cadavers. Maybe he’s a local walk on…or maybe he is the real deal. I don’t know. I never heard of him. He probably would have scored 15 goals in AAAA.

I’ll be curious about this one. He played at Century so who knows. But I always chuckle when HS stats, especially from a place like Charleroi, are referenced in a college bio. 70 goals in a hs season probably means that he could have scored 100 if he wanted to or if his coach let him. He was playing against cadavers. Maybe he’s a local walk on…or maybe he is the real deal. I don’t know. I never heard of him. He probably would have scored 15 goals in AAAA.
What is strange is that all the local guys have come from non-soccer places. Charleroi, Deer Lakes, GCC, Connellsville. And those kids have all played decent minutes. As you know, if this player was the best player on his Century team, which its likely he was, he probably was one of the top 2 or 3 players in the WPIAL and maybe the best.

I'm interested to see what internationals they bring in. Those are the guys who come in and make a big impact. They dont usually announce those until right before the season. They have a nice core with Jacquesson, Noel, Walti, Mirkovic, but will need a few internationals to make a big impact if they want to contend for a NC.

Last edited:
He played hS at Charleroi in the mon valley. His club team is century United.
I was thinking of Century High in Maryland, which is a giant public school in a rural area that's good at soccer.

Yeah these inflated goals are BS. there was a girl who scored like 250 plus goals in high school. They must be playing teams that can’t even field enough players so they essentially have JV players out there. My daughters high school team is horrible as most high school teams in this area suck, but there is one good team in our area with all ECNL players and teammates with my daughter. They literally have ECNL at all positions starting. They have a coach who purposely inflates goal numbers by playing starters all game against teams that literally have no coaches, a JV team, and a goalie that played basketball so she must have hands. If this cat can score in college, than he might be a pure gol scorer. But going against ND, VT, Clemson, BC, Wake, UNC etc ain’t the same kind of players.

What is strange is that all the local guys have come from non-soccer places. Charleroi, Deer Lakes, GCC, Connellsville

On what planet is GCC not a soccer place?

I mean their girls are typically better than their boys, and they are a small school so their competition is bad. But they are one of the best soccer programs in the WPIAL. Good enough to be the defending WPIAL champions and state runner-ups.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
On what planet is GCC not a soccer place?

I mean their girls are typically better than their boys, and they are a small school so their competition is bad. But they are one of the best soccer programs in the WPIAL. Good enough to be the defending WPIAL champions and state runner-ups.
Wow, you're on a big losing streak. GCC??? They have 15 kids in their school and they win Single A. Whoa!!!!! They would lose 15-0 to real soccer schools so yea, they're not a soccer place.

Wow, you're on a big losing streak. GCC??? They have 15 kids in their school and they win Single A. Whoa!!!!! They would lose 15-0 to real soccer schools so yea, they're not a soccer place.

Like I said, WPIAL champions and state runner ups last year.

Your problem is that you are wrong so often that you wouldn't recognize the truth if someone hit you over the head with it.

Like I said, WPIAL champions and state runner ups last year.

Your problem is that you are wrong so often that you wouldn't recognize the truth if someone hit you over the head with it.
Playing who exactly? They are Single A. They are irrelevant to any soccer conversation.

Playing who exactly? They are Single A. They are irrelevant to any soccer conversation.
They are not irrelevant because they win championships seemingly every year. What makes them relevant is they always have division 1 talent starting for them every year. That will never change. And that is simply a fact. They are a WPIAL power plain and simple for boys and girls. It’s a catholic school afterall. It’s just that every conversation needs to be in the proper perspective.

but it is also true that their schedule is largely a huge waste of time. They play plenty of games on bad HS grass pitches and often after school because those single A schools also don’t have lights. They play against schools whose players don’t even know what a soccer ball is. I spent 15 years and saw probabky 400 matches in HS soccer myself and I saw 1 grass pitch during my time (in the highest classification). That was at Butler. For whatever reason, they choose to play their games on a grass pitch.

GCC had a player a few years back who set every historical state record for goals and assists because her Dad was the coach and he left her on the field for as many goals that she needed to break the records. She actually beat my daughters all time state record for assists but my daughter did it in the highest classification. This player won every post season player of the year award, had dozens of articles written about her, and went on to play for a P5 soccer power, and then never saw the field in her career. When the post gazette publishes the WPIAL leading goal scorers, they print the top 50-60 players. When you scan the list every year, you have to get down into the 20th or 30th place players before you find the first AAAA players listed. The top AAAA goal scorer usually has 20-30 goals in a season. Where as in the other classes, particularly single A, you’ll see 60-70 goal scorers. The fact is a single A team has maybe 3 games per season against a credible team (and it’s usually the same team). Whereas many AAAA teams only have maybe 3 games per year against bad teams.

I remember a few years back GCC girls had an all time great team historically. It was during a period with multiple state and WPIAL trophies. They stepped out of single A and played a good but not a great AAAA team. I think at the time it was Fox Chapel (might have been Moon in a down year). GCC lost 6-0 and it was 5-0 at halftime.

Reactions: jctrack
They are not irrelevant because they win championships seemingly every year. What makes them relevant is they always have division 1 talent starting for them every year. That will never change. And that is simply a fact. They are a WPIAL power plain and simple for boys and girls. It’s a catholic school afterall. It’s just that every conversation needs to be in the proper perspective.

but it is also true that their schedule is largely a huge waste of time. They play plenty of games on bad HS grass pitches and often after school because those single A schools also don’t have lights. They play against schools whose players don’t even know what a soccer ball is. I spent 15 years and saw probabky 400 matches in HS soccer myself and I saw 1 grass pitch during my time (in the highest classification). That was at Butler. For whatever reason, they choose to play their games on a grass pitch.

GCC had a player a few years back who set every historical state record for goals and assists because her Dad was the coach and he left her on the field for as many goals that she needed to break the records. She actually beat my daughters all time state record for assists but my daughter did it in the highest classification. This player won every post season player of the year award, had dozens of articles written about her, and went on to play for a P5 soccer power, and then never saw the field in her career. When the post gazette publishes the WPIAL leading goal scorers, they print the top 50-60 players. When you scan the list every year, you have to get down into the 20th or 30th place players before you find the first AAAA players listed. The top AAAA goal scorer usually has 20-30 goals in a season. Where as in the other classes, particularly single A, you’ll see 60-70 goal scorers. The fact is a single A team has maybe 3 games per season against a credible team (and it’s usually the same team). Whereas many AAAA teams only have maybe 3 games per year against bad teams.

I remember a few years back GCC girls had an all time great team historically. It was during a period with multiple state and WPIAL trophies. They stepped out of single A and played a good but not a great AAAA team. I think at the time it was Fox Chapel (might have been Moon in a down year). GCC lost 6-0 and it was 5-0 at halftime.
They would finish last in every AAAA league in boys and girls. So they are irrelevant. Its like saying W&J Football is relevant because they won D3 or whatever. Nobody cares.

They would finish last in every AAAA league in boys and girls. So they are irrelevant. Its like saying W&J Football is relevant because they won D3 or whatever. Nobody cares.
No they wouldn’t on the girls side. But they would struggle to make playoffs because they are not finishing top 4 in any section. In the south, they’d be 7th. They’re better than baldwin. They’re better than North Hills and Shaler in the north. They’re better than Hempfield, and in most seasons better than Latrobe (except Latrobe has a generational team currently). And they’re better than any city league team that might play in AAAA.

No they wouldn’t on the girls side. But they would struggle to make playoffs because they are not finishing top 4 in any section. In the south, they’d be 7th. They’re better than baldwin. They’re better than North Hills and Shaler in the north. They’re better than Hempfield, and in most seasons better than Latrobe (except Latrobe has a generational team currently). And they’re better than any city league team that might play in AAAA.
Ok, but I'm really talking about the boys program and just kind of lumped the girls one in there. I am not sure the boys team would win a game in AAAA

Ok, but I'm really talking about the boys program and just kind of lumped the girls one in there. I am not sure the boys team would win a game in AAAA
Well I don’t profess to be an expert on the boys side so I don’t know much about GCC. But I do watch from the outside and take in a couple dozen WPIAL games a season. The similarities between the girls and boys is really something. It’s uncanny. So I’d have to say that the boys at GCC would perform the same as the girls. But I don’t know the GCC boys that intimately…which is why I didn’t speak to it.

Well I don’t profess to be an expert on the boys side so I don’t know much about GCC. But I do watch from the outside and take in a couple dozen WPIAL games a season. The similarities between the girls and boys is really something. It’s uncanny. So I’d have to say that the boys at GCC would perform the same as the girls. But I don’t know the GCC boys that intimately…which is why I didn’t speak to it.
I disagree. I would say the girls would be more likely to be "soccer players." Whereas the boys might have a few soccer players but are basically just multi-sport athletes who play soccer during soccer season and can just out-athlete tiny farm schools which is why I don't think they'd win a game in AAAA. It would not surprise me if the girls fielded a starting lineup of all Cup players though I dont know. The boys are playing soccer, basketball, and baseball.

I disagree. I would say the girls would be more likely to be "soccer players." Whereas the boys might have a few soccer players but are basically just multi-sport athletes who play soccer during soccer season and can just out-athlete tiny farm schools which is why I don't think they'd win a game in AAAA. It would not surprise me if the girls fielded a starting lineup of all Cup players though I dont know. The boys are playing soccer, basketball, and baseball.
The boys at GCC I would almost guarantee are all full time soccer players. Just like they are at all the AAAA schools. The only schools who don’t have all full time club players are urban and the smaller schools like GCC has in their section. I would be willing to bet the GCC top 15 players are all club players. It’s just that a handful of them aren’t good players even though they are full time soccer players. So they probably go 6-8 players deep with talent. At a AAAA school, they start out with 50 club players and play the top 16 of them. So a AAAA team could field a second team of players 17-36 on their roster and compete for a Single A section title.

And the girls are playing soccer, basketball and softball? No idea about the GCC situation, but all are year-round sports. Also, one appeal of a small school is the chance to participate in a bunch of different activities.

The boys at GCC I would almost guarantee are all full time soccer players. Just like they are at all the AAAA schools. The only schools who don’t have all full time club players are urban and the smaller schools like GCC has in their section. I would be willing to bet the GCC top 15 players are all club players. It’s just that a handful of them aren’t good players even though they are full time soccer players. So they probably go 6-8 players deep with talent. At a AAAA school, they start out with 50 club players and play the top 16 of them. So a AAAA team could field a second team of players 17-36 on their roster and compete for a Single A section title.
I disagree on the boys. There's like what 75 boys in the school, I doubt 15 of them are full-time soccer players. I think you are way overestimating that. I would say 2-5.

Also, most of the AAAA teams comprised of players 17-35 wouldn't just "compete" in Class A, they'd go undefeated. I'd say players 35-50 could potentially win it but games would be close. Players 51-68 would make the playoffs and maybe go on a run.

I disagree on the boys. There's like what 75 boys in the school, I doubt 15 of them are full-time soccer players. I think you are way overestimating that. I would say 2-5.

Also, most of the AAAA teams comprised of players 17-35 wouldn't just "compete" in Class A, they'd go undefeated. I'd say players 35-50 could potentially win it but games would be close. Players 51-68 would make the playoffs and maybe go on a run.
You are terribly misinformed, just like politics and everything else. Because GCC would have more than a couple high end players, even as many as 4-5 of them. Then they fill out their roster with average to below average club players. Maybe in any given season they’ll have 8, or 10, or 12 club players. I used to be very good close with their head coach. (He also used to coach Joe’s niece.). Trust me. And because GCC would have the best 4 or so players on the field, they would likely beat players 17-34 from Norwin. But players 17-34 from Norwin would destroy 90% of the other teams in single A. Because there are no other teams. There’s GCC and maybe depending on the year, a sewickley Academy, seton Lasalle, etc and that’s the list.

Just reached out to an insider at GCC. They don’t start 11 club players but they do start 8-9 club players on the boys side. And I was told it’s the same on the girls side. He also said that they have 11+ club players but just don’t start them…which means 3 of them have parents who are wasting their money if they are playing club but can’t start over kids they pull out of the school hallway or off the baseball/basketball team.
Now I’m sure you’ll chime in and tell me why you’re right and my first hand info is wrong.

btw, I was told the kid from Charleroi will never see the field at Pitt.

Just reached out to an insider at GCC. They don’t start 11 club players but they do start 8-9 club players on the boys side. And I was told it’s the same on the girls side. He also said that they have 11+ club players but just don’t start them…which means 3 of them have parents who are wasting their money if they are playing club but can’t start over kids they pull out of the school hallway or off the baseball/basketball team.
Now I’m sure you’ll chime in and tell me why you’re right and my first hand info is wrong.

btw, I was told the kid from Charleroi will never see the field at Pitt.
I don't believe that 11 of the 75 boys at GCC play for a club team. Of those 75 boys, I would say, what 20 of them dont play sports. So you're telling me that 15 of the 55 boys who are "into sports" at GCC don't just play soccer, they play for Beadling East or Hotspurs or Arsenal or Allegheny Force. Totally not buying the percentage is that high. And even if that were true, most would be on those clubs' B teams.

Update: reached out to someone familiar with their program and he said about half the starters play club in a given year so its basically split down the middle of what I said and what you said. Its all going to depend on the year, you could have 2 sets of brothers in the starting lineup and that's 4 club players right there. Then in a few years, maybe they just have 2 or 3.

Last edited:
I don't believe that 11 of the 75 boys at GCC play for a club team. Of those 75 boys, I would say, what 20 of them dont play sports. So you're telling me that 15 of the 55 boys who are "into sports" at GCC don't just play soccer, they play for Beadling East or Hotspurs or Arsenal or Allegheny Force. Totally not buying the percentage is that high. And even if that were true, most would be on those clubs' B teams.
Figured you’d say that. Currently on the boys team,

“3 are on Beadling A teams, 1 is RDA, 1 is Century, and a few others scattered around”.

so there you go.

And on the girls side…

“On girls side we have a 2-3 that play on Beadling GA team, one that plays on century GA, and a few others scattered around”

Figured you’d say that. Currently on the boys team,

“3 are on Beadling A teams, 1 is RDA, 1 is Century, and a few others scattered around”.

so there you go.

And on the girls side…

“On girls side we have a 2-3 that play on Beadling GA team, one that plays on century GA, and a few others scattered around”
He basically called you a lying sack of sh!t.

He basically called you a lying sack of sh!t.
He does it every day to someone. I’ve never seen anyone who is wrong so often and never once says “yeah ok, I guess my assumption was wrong”.

He does it every day to someone. I’ve never seen anyone who is wrong so often and never once says “yeah ok, I guess my assumption was wrong”.
He's the ultimate narcissist.

Update: reached out to someone familiar with their program and he said about half the starters play club in a given year so its basically split down the middle of what I said and what you said. Its all going to depend on the year, you could have 2 sets of brothers in the starting lineup and that's 4 club players right there. Then in a few years, maybe they just have 2 or 3.
Half their starters play on legit club teams, and a few others play year round at a hot spurs , Allegheny Force, Century East, etc.

Half their starters play on legit club teams, and a few others play year round at a hot spurs , Allegheny Force, Century East, etc.
I question that they have 4 kids making the 100 mile round trip trek to the South Hills to play for Beadling and Century. Those could be Beadling East and Century East.

You are terribly misinformed, just like politics and everything else. Because GCC would have more than a couple high end players, even as many as 4-5 of them. Then they fill out their roster with average to below average club players. Maybe in any given season they’ll have 8, or 10, or 12 club players. I used to be very good close with their head coach. (He also used to coach Joe’s niece.). Trust me. And because GCC would have the best 4 or so players on the field, they would likely beat players 17-34 from Norwin. But players 17-34 from Norwin would destroy 90% of the other teams in single A. Because there are no other teams. There’s GCC and maybe depending on the year, a sewickley Academy, seton Lasalle, etc and that’s the list.
Can you tell them to send some bench warmers to St Joes - for academic reasons, of course.

I question that they have 4 kids making the 100 mile round trip trek to the South Hills to play for Beadling and Century. Those could be Beadling East and Century East.
Lol. Here you go again. Do you want names? Will that satisfy you? Of course they do because mom and dad who pay a catholic school tuition are going to send their kids to the best club team possible. Off the top of my head I can name plenty of Beadling GCC kids through the years. To think that they could currently have 4 of them spread out over 3-4 classes and age groups is easy to see. I was shocked to see that the girls don’t currently have any RDA players. They usually have a handful there alone. And im not talking RDA east, im talking RDA in Pittsburgh.

Last edited:
Additionally, those kids aren’t all coming from Latrobe or greensburg. I coached at Beadling and Century. My kids all played there and it was always amazing to me how many players from Norwin and Penn trafford played on those club teams. It’s not far at all. Kids from Norwin areas just cut through McKeesport and can be to century in no time. But, my one team had a huge GK void and there was a really good one at Allegheny Force. We tried like heck to get her, but the family didn’t want to make the “2 tunnel drive” to practice. So yeah It doesn’t work for everyone, but people will make the sacrifice to play on the best team in the age group. Emily Yaple at Pitt played at Beadling and lived in Erie. She never missed a practice. A girl from Mt Lebo is in the national pool right now. She drives to Cleveland to play for the Internationals 3 times per week. Parents and youth sports will do anything if they think it will benefit their kids. An hour drive to practice is nothing. I’m sure Joe will chime in at some point. He has intimate knowledge of players commuting to the south hills from the east.

i also remember some recent kids who started at GCC from BVA and the mon Valley.

Last edited:

According to the past season results on the PG web site, the only AAAA team that GCC ever really plays is Hempfield (which makes sense, as Hempfield High School is actually only a few minutes from GCC). The last three times they've played GCC won two of them.

Remind us all again, what class is Hempfield in?

According to the past season results on the PG web site, the only AAAA team that GCC ever really plays is Hempfield (which makes sense, as Hempfield High School is actually only a few minutes from GCC). The last three times they've played GCC won two of them.

Remind us all again, what class is Hempfield in?
Hempfield barely has an athletics program. I forgot they existed but the fact they lost 1 out of 3 to them speaks volumes of how irrelevant both teams are.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT