ADVERTISEMENT

Messi to Inter Miami, MLS as part owner/player

Then maybe the English Manager at Inter Miami can win some matches for once. You’d think, just by being English alone, he’d be able to beat the Yanks he manages against. Weird.

Then maybe the English Manager at Inter Miami can win some matches for once. You’d think, just by being English alone, he’d be able to beat the Yanks he manages against. Weird.
He must be a bad manager, since he's not in Europe :)

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Where's SMF? I thought he'd jump right into this one to say he called it :)
Well to be fair this comes up every year and we’ve discussed it before
as it’s been footballs worst kept secret for a long time.

It’s only a matter of time. Personally though, I don’t see the 35% ownership thing. That seems was too high. The value of that club is going to double in the near term.

there was always rumor of him and Ronaldo playing together. Still can’t see how that happens but if they can, Phil Neville will have gone from managing the English Lady Lions National Team, to a bad team in MLS, to coaching Ronaldo and Messi together.

Reactions: DevilDog42
Well to be fair this comes up every year and we’ve discussed it before
as it’s been footballs worst kept secret for a long time.

It’s only a matter of time. Personally though, I don’t see the 35% ownership thing. That seems was too high. The value of that club is going to double in the near term.

there was always rumor of him and Ronaldo playing together. Still can’t see how that happens but if they can, Phil Neville will have gone from managing the English Lady Lions National Team, to a bad team in MLS, to coaching Ronaldo and Messi together.
Well, yea, I cant take credit for this. Many people expected Messi and Ronaldo to finish in MLS. I am surprised it took them this long though. With the growth of MLS, I expected them to come over in their early 30s like Beckham.

I'm also excited to see Messi joining Inter Miami! That's gonna be some real fire on the pitch. But damn, your hypothetical situation is wild! Can you imagine the Saudi Royal Family buying the top 100 players in the world? That's some next-level stuff right there. But you're right, money ain't everything and some players wouldn't go there just for the cash. I follow Messi's career at Lionel Messi info website and know everything about it. You can find there all the latest news and updates on the legend himself. It's crazy to think that Mbappe signing a $100 million contract with the Saudis wouldn't even be much of a raise for him. These players are on a whole other level. Can't wait to see what Messi brings to Inter Miami though!

Last edited:
What are the guesses on merchandise? Wearing a soccer kit can be fashionable for young hip kids, not us old people. Everyone knows the name Messi and Miami loves their famous athletes. Bringing the worlds best player to Miami and all his tattoos makes him a bigger star than anyone there, and he speaks Spanish. I mean it can’t get any better for a financial gain.

It’s looking like Ronaldo will be here sooner, considering no one wants him in Europe these days.

Reactions: mike412
It’s looking like Ronaldo will be here sooner, considering no one wants him in Europe these days.
Yeah, I think we are seeing a former great player a step slower and a step backwards. Ronaldo is a businessman also. He is highly tuned in to his next phase of life but he just might not be able to know when to hang up the cleats. He’s got talent and time left just not for a team like MU. But pride will keep him away from some levels. Messi seems to be good for some more years and is currently still seen as still one of the best players right now. But boy are there some young players who are very exciting and taking the torch. But nobody can ever duplicate what Ronaldo and Messi have done for the game.

Yeah, I think we are seeing a former great player a step slower and a step backwards. Ronaldo is a businessman also. He is highly tuned in to his next phase of life but he just might not be able to know when to hang up the cleats. He’s got talent and time left just not for a team like MU. But pride will keep him away from some levels. Messi seems to be good for some more years and is currently still seen as still one of the best players right now. But boy are there some young players who are very exciting and taking the torch. But nobody can ever duplicate what Ronaldo and Messi have done for the game.
Messi and Ronaldo waited too long, especially Ronaldo.

Heck out the new World Cup commercial (for Fox?). It’s very good. Tom Brady is looking at a Ronaldo highlight and says “isn’t he a little old”? Great festive holiday commercial.

Heck out the new World Cup commercial (for Fox?). It’s very good. Tom Brady is looking at a Ronaldo highlight and says “isn’t he a little old”? Great festive holiday commercial.
Does Fox News do any promoting for their soccer content? You gotta let me know as the WC gets closer. Those are opposite demographics so I'm curious. Joe Scarborough has the Men In Blazers guy on like once a month

Does Fox News do any promoting for their soccer content? You gotta let me know as the WC gets closer. Those are opposite demographics so I'm curious. Joe Scarborough has the Men In Blazers guy on like once a month
I don't know about that, there's plenty of conservative soccer parents these days, not every parent following these club teams and high school teams is a WOKE Liberal.

I don't know about that, there's plenty of conservative soccer parents these days, not every parent following these club teams and high school teams is a WOKE Liberal.
I didn't say that. But in terms of Fox News is viewership, its very very old, very white so its a pretty terrible soccer demographic. I would wonder if they would have like Alexi Lalas come on the morning show and preview that day's WC matches.

Very white? Are white people less into soccer? I don't see that.

But FSN their sports channel does broadcast soccer, so maybe they will?

I went to see Messi and Argentina last week in New Jersey, figuring it was my last realistic chance to see him play for Argentina. He was sick so he didn't start but the crowd was hyped up just to see him warmup pregame.

They put him in during the second half and he had two goals, including a free kick, near the end of the game. Crowd loved it.

I hope he does play in MLS soon but I think he could delay that by a few years and still be something special.

He has said he wants to play for his hometown club but my understanding is that the crime situation in Rosario makes that unlikely. Maybe a friendly or something.

Cruyff still is my favorite player ever, but I think Messi is the best player ever. Both he and CR7 stay in fantastic shape, but you can’t outrun time, and I think both have slowed down dramatically. That impacts CR7’s game more because he always relied more on his speed. CR7 never was renowned for his passing, unlike Messi.

As brilliant a player as he has been, I also think Messi made the worst mistake he could have made when he was 18 and chose to play for Argentina over Spain. He has lived in Barcelona since he was 13 and could have chosen to play for the Spanish National Team. Back in 2008, the one thing Spain lacked was a devastating scorer. They had Fernando Torres and David Villa (in 2012) but that was really it as far as forwards go. I mean Pedro Rodriguez started up front for Spain in 2012 and 2016.

Besides winning in 2012, I could see Spain winning perhaps two more Cups with Messi. That is the one blot many people say tarnishes his resume: that he has never led Argentina to a World Cup. My word, without him Argentina might not have qualified for a World Cup after Maradona retired.

I don’t see him going to Miami unless it is for the benefit of his kids’ schooling. I know he and Pep still are close and Pep thinks the two years he spent in NYC were very important for him and his family. Despite living in Catalonia for 21 years, Messi’s Catalan is rudimentary. His English is basically non-existent whereas Pep’s was almost fluent before NYC. I don’t think Messi would be very comfortable in Miami although it is the American big city where his Spanish would be most at home.

Both his family and his wife’s family now are all settled in Barcelona, so I don’t think the returning for a year to play in Rosario before retiring will happen either. I think the most likely scenario is a return to Barcelona for a final year or two. I then think he will coach. He doesn’t seem like the type to enjoy retiring early.

Cruyff still is my favorite player ever, but I think Messi is the best player ever. Both he and CR7 stay in fantastic shape, but you can’t outrun time, and I think both have slowed down dramatically. That impacts CR7’s game more because he always relied more on his speed. CR7 never was renowned for his passing, unlike Messi.

As brilliant a player as he has been, I also think Messi made the worst mistake he could have made when he was 18 and chose to play for Argentina over Spain. He has lived in Barcelona since he was 13 and could have chosen to play for the Spanish National Team. Back in 2008, the one thing Spain lacked was a devastating scorer. They had Fernando Torres and David Villa (in 2012) but that was really it as far as forwards go. I mean Pedro Rodriguez started up front for Spain in 2012 and 2016.

Besides winning in 2012, I could see Spain winning perhaps two more Cups with Messi. That is the one blot many people say tarnishes his resume: that he has never led Argentina to a World Cup. My word, without him Argentina might not have qualified for a World Cup after Maradona retired.

I don’t see him going to Miami unless it is for the benefit of his kids’ schooling. I know he and Pep still are close and Pep thinks the two years he spent in NYC were very important for him and his family. Despite living in Catalonia for 21 years, Messi’s Catalan is rudimentary. His English is basically non-existent whereas Pep’s was almost fluent before NYC. I don’t think Messi would be very comfortable in Miami although it is the American big city where his Spanish would be most at home.

Both his family and his wife’s family now are all settled in Barcelona, so I don’t think the returning for a year to play in Rosario before retiring will happen either. I think the most likely scenario is a return to Barcelona for a final year or two. I then think he will coach. He doesn’t seem like the type to enjoy retiring early.
What is surprising is the massive drop off in talent in Argentina during the Messi era. Not sure what caused it but for a big, soccer-crazed country, you would have thought they would have developed more soccer players

I didn't say that. But in terms of Fox News is viewership, its very very old, very white so its a pretty terrible soccer demographic. I would wonder if they would have like Alexi Lalas come on the morning show and preview that day's WC matches.
I don’t watch Fox very often. It’s sometimes on in the AM (Fox and Friends) when my wife is getting ready for work and I’ve never seen soccer promotion there. But I’ll guarantee they do when we get closer to World Cup. Brian Kilmeade, one of the F&F hosts, is a big soccer guy. His daughters played club on a Long Island team and one is playing in college now. So he’s been a sideline soccer dad like some of us for a long time.

sometimes The Five is on when I get home, and that’s pretty good.

Man, I haven’t heard anything about Messi for a long time even in madfut 21 mod. Not that I’ve ever been a die-hard Lionel fan (more of a Ronaldo guy), but now it’s kinda extra hard to keep track of his activities. He sure likes to keep a low profile. IMO, he should’ve never left Barcelona, but I’m hardly original in this view.

Last edited:
I don’t think so. Messi is in advanced talks as part owner of Inter Miami and might be here next summer. And of course no one wants Ronaldo so he could be here sooner.

I don’t think so. Messi is in advanced talks as part owner of Inter Miami and might be here next summer. And of course no one wants Ronaldo so he could be here sooner.

It's going to be interesting to see where Ronaldo ends up in January, because surely he has to go somewhere, right?

He was being a little bit of a bitch. I guess he realizes his value is declining rapidly. The guy has so many investments and other financial opportunities building, he needs to go out on a high note to seal his legacy and advance his next role.
Well his legacy will be aided by scoring a few more Champions League goals and making a run. I just don’t know where that happens. I have no idea what New Castle’s situation is, but I think they have a better than fair chance at finishing top 4, and what better way to make a splash into Euro play and grow your brand than signing CR?

Looks like it wont happen. Bummer.

MLS and US Soccer really needed a guy like Messi or Ronaldo, even way past his prime. But in Ronaldo's case, no one can compete with literally a King's ransom. That is just stupid money but when you are a King and have an infinite amount, why not. I'd actually like to see Saudi Arabia pay stupid money for all the best players in the world. That would piss off so many people.

I'd actually like to see Saudi Arabia pay stupid money for all the best players in the world. That would piss off so many people.
Then start rooting for New Castle because they will start spending with the other Arab state clubs (Man City and PSG). Their third kit is even creepily similar to the Saudi kit.

This is all bothersome to me, as I feel like an honorary Geordie myself since my daughter spent 2 years in north east England. I have an affinity for the area even though Londoners make fun of Geordie’s just like we make fun of Jersey. New Castle was kind of a 2nd team for me.

Then start rooting for New Castle because they will start spending with the other Arab state clubs (Man City and PSG). Their third kit is even creepily similar to the Saudi kit.

This is all bothersome to me, as I feel like an honorary Geordie myself since my daughter spent 2 years in north east England. I have an affinity for the area even though Londoners make fun of Geordie’s just like we make fun of Jersey. New Castle was kind of a 2nd team for me.

Well, I'd rather Saudi Arabia just buy all the best players for their league because that would piss off so many people. I dont know why they dont really. Their money is unlimited. If they can pay Ronaldo $1.5 billion for only 2 years of playing and the rest as an ambassador, why cant they outbid everyone for Mbappe, Van Dijk, Haaland, etc?

Zlatan is better than Ronaldo. Not sure why he doesn't get as much press as Ronaldo. Zlatan is pure magical.

Zlatan is better than Ronaldo. Not sure why he doesn't get as much press as Ronaldo. Zlatan is pure magical.
Zlatan is a good scorer, but Ronaldo has done more for the game with his creative dribbling, high pace play, speed, and goal scoring. Ronaldo has been to 5 world cups. Set tons of scoring records. Zlatan is good, but he can’t hold Ronaldo’s jock for all the other on field stuff.

Well, I'd rather Saudi Arabia just buy all the best players for their league because that would piss off so many people. I dont know why they dont really. Their money is unlimited. If they can pay Ronaldo $1.5 billion for only 2 years of playing and the rest as an ambassador, why cant they outbid everyone for Mbappe, Van Dijk, Haaland, etc?

You get that it takes two parties to agree to a contract, right? If the Saudis offer Mbappe a billion dollars a season but he would prefer to play for a good team in a good league, what do you suppose the Saudis could do about it? Threaten to have him or his family killed?

Oh, wait, yeah, they actually could do that.

MLS and US Soccer really needed a guy like Messi or Ronaldo, even way past his prime. But in Ronaldo's case, no one can compete with literally a King's ransom. That is just stupid money but when you are a King and have an infinite amount, why not. I'd actually like to see Saudi Arabia pay stupid money for all the best players in the world. That would piss off so many people.
Kind of like LIV golf?

You get that it takes two parties to agree to a contract, right? If the Saudis offer Mbappe a billion dollars a season but he would prefer to play for a good team in a good league, what do you suppose the Saudis could do about it? Threaten to have him or his family killed?

Oh, wait, yeah, they actually could do that.
So he'd turn down a BILLION $ too play in a better league a BILLION $ ???

Many soccer players have gone to Asia to grab some late career big money. Many players half the talent as Messi. Messi probably has enough business deals and other income streams that staying in France makes the most sense. After winning the World Cup and playing with PSG, he will be able to turn everything he touches to gold. And selling his soul to Middle East or a crappy league like MLS just doesn’t work for him. Ronaldo may decide to take his money options because he is on the wrong side of respect right now.

So he'd turn down a BILLION $ too play in a better league a BILLION $ ???

I don't know if he would or not, but there absolutely have been guys who have turned down more money to play for better teams or in better situations. In fact it happens all the time. And if you are someone like Mbappe, the difference in money is going to be between you being rich or being really rich. And for some people being rich and in the situation that you'd rather be in personally is better than being really rich and being miserable.

I don't know if he would or not, but there absolutely have been guys who have turned down more money to play for better teams or in better situations. In fact it happens all the time. And if you are someone like Mbappe, the difference in money is going to be between you being rich or being really rich. And for some people being rich and in the situation that you'd rather be in personally is better than being really rich and being miserable.

Hypothetically, I'd wonder how much it would cost the Saudi Royal Family (who bankrolls their league) to buy like the 100 best players in the world and could they afford that? Lets say they paid the 100 best players $100 million/year, that's only a payroll of $10 billion/year which I'd think is pocket change for them.....and of course, you'd make some of that money back.

ADVERTISEMENT