ADVERTISEMENT

Miami Game & Other Dribbles ...

DT_PITT

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 17, 2001
** Walking out of the Peterson Events Center tonight on the steps to Terrace Street, I heard a wonderful sound.

** Among the thrilled mass which was ambling past the exit doors at the moment, there sprouted an impromptu chant of “LET'S GO PITT." While it didn’t last especially long, the chant certainly didn't lack conviction nor attention.

** I’m wondering when was the last time I heard such an impromptu “LET'S GO PITT” in conjunction with our Basketball Team.

** In the first half of today’s contest, we honored the 2003 Big East Tournament Championship Team. There were plenty of chants of “LET'S GO PITT” that Championship night. Heck, I even recall extremely fondly walking out of Madison Square Garden while chanting with and actually hugging none other than Chancellor Nordenberg.

** Of course, this win does not rise in stature anywhere near the win in New York in March of 2003. But that doesn’t mean it wasn’t pretty glorious in its own right.

** In fact, my 17 year old son said it was the most fun he’s ever had watching a basketball game in person. He’ll be making his college selection in the next several weeks. He’s looking at a remarkably elite group of schools including the likes of NYU, Georgetown, William and Mary, Case Western, Penn and others. Yet, it’s possible today’s game provided the kind of experience that tilts his matriculation toward the University of Pittsburgh.

** The 2002-2003 group of Panthers were a pretty special bunch. They were tough, experienced and talented. Yet I can’t recall any game when they scored the last 11 points of the game to steal a victory against a top 20 team.

** Most of the game today, my Son kept repeating a phrase about this game which seemed all too true. “Miami is simply just a better team” he offered. And I won’t try to disagree with that notion.

** But it’s likely also true that our Panthers were simply the team who wanted this game more.

** I often wonder what phrases such as “wanted it more” really mean. Should we really say that Miami didn’t actually want to win in the final minutes?

** Yet we made every single play in the fateful final 2:30, while the Canes didn’t seem to make a single one. I’ll leave it to you to create your own explanation why.

** I’m not going to try to decipher Fede Federiko’s personal motivations and whether he wants to win a game more than anyone else. What I will say instead is that his efforts and subsequent results were incredibly meaningful, while also completely timely, to the Panther’s victory.

** I’ll even go as far as to say that if Fede doesn’t rebound Nelly’s miss and return it through the basket at the 2:00 minute mark, no one would have ever been chanting “LET'S GO PITT” on the steps on the way out of the Pete tonight.

** My other takeaway from today’s game is that this year’s Panthers don’t seem to play the game with very much fear. They certainly almost never seem to be afraid to shoot the ball and that’s allowed them the confidence to shoot the ball whenever and wherever it’s needed. This is especially true for Blake Hinson who’s three to cut it to three with a minute and a half to go was among a handful of the biggest shots in a year that’s already had a pretty nice share of big shots.

** And while I liked that three, whether it was the game plan or personally choice, it was good to see Blake take the ball to the hoop today in addition to letting it fling from outside the line.

** Perhaps even more than Hinson, it would seem to me that Coach Capel continually encourages Nelly Cummings to keep shooting when I know many fans would rather he wouldn’t. But one way or another, his shot with a minute found someway to fall through the hoop.

** In the game’s final minutes, the Panthers never appeared to fear playing defense. Conversely, the usually well coached Canes looked tentative and undisciplined. And that made all of the needed difference to move the Panthers ahead of Miami in the ACC standings.

** Going back to our 2002-2003 team, the Pete they returned to today looked not all that unlike the one they left in at the end of that season 20 years ago. The crowd certainly numbered clearly over 10K while the Oakland Zoo was packed and in the final minutes was bouncing just like they did 20 years ago. It was pretty wonderful actually.

** Lots of things today seemed like they did 20 years ago. But the only thing that will really matter to me is returning to the NCAA Tournament like the 02-03 team and 12 other groups did to start this millennium.

** This outcome is far from being set in stone just yet. But today’s big win was a huge step in that direction.

** “LET’S GO PITT! … LET’S GO PITT!! … LET’S GO PITT!!! …”

Great post as always. I moved to CA a few years ago and of all the things I miss, games like this would be top of the list.

Good luck to your son on his decision. My son went to NYU then graduate school at Northwestern. He still seems to love Pitt but living in NYC as a college kid will give him exposures unlike anywhere else. All the schools on his list are great but our experience with NYC is very favorable. The school education is great but the growing up education is even better. Internships alone will allow him to really learn a lot about himself. The only downside is the cost.

My dad is 75 and hasn't been to a Pitt game since covid. He went today and took my sister. I'm glad he got to witness in person a great Pitt win in a building rocking like the Howland/Dixon days.

I'm going with him to the Syracuse game so can't wait for that.
Poker...this posting makes me so happy!

Happy for Dad and your family to share these times and create lasting memories.

You've made my night...H2P!

My dad is 75 and hasn't been to a Pitt game since covid. He went today and took my sister. I'm glad he got to witness in person a great Pitt win in a building rocking like the Howland/Dixon days.

I'm going with him to the Syracuse game so can't wait for that.

Very nice!!

** Walking out of the Peterson Events Center tonight on the steps to Terrace Street, I heard a wonderful sound.

** Among the thrilled mass which was ambling past the exit doors at the moment, there sprouted an impromptu chant of “LET'S GO PITT." While it didn’t last especially long, the chant certainly didn't lack conviction nor attention.

** I’m wondering when was the last time I heard such an impromptu “LET'S GO PITT” in conjunction with our Basketball Team.

** In the first half of today’s contest, we honored the 2003 Big East Tournament Championship Team. There were plenty of chants of “LET'S GO PITT” that Championship night. Heck, I even recall extremely fondly walking out of Madison Square Garden while chanting with and actually hugging none other than Chancellor Nordenberg.

** Of course, this win does not rise in stature anywhere near the win in New York in March of 2003. But that doesn’t mean it wasn’t pretty glorious in its own right.

** In fact, my 17 year old son said it was the most fun he’s ever watching a basketball game in person. He’ll be making his college selection in the next several weeks. He’s looking at a remarkably elite group of schools including the likes of NYU, Georgetown, William and Mary, Penn, Case Western, Penn and others. Yet, it’s possible today’s game provided the kind of experience that tilts his matriculation toward the University of Pittsburgh.

** The 2002-2003 group of Panthers were a pretty special bunch. They were tough, experienced and talented. Yet I can’t recall any game when they scored the last 11 points of the game to steal a victory against a top 20 team.

** Most of the game today, my Son kept repeating a phrase about this game which seemed all too true. “Miami is simply just a better team” he offered. And I won’t try to disagree with that notion.

** But it’s likely also true that our Panthers were simply the team who wanted this game more.

** I often wonder what phrases such as “wanted it more” really mean. Should we really say that Miami didn’t actually want to win in the final minutes?

** Yet we made every single play in the fateful final 2:30, while the Canes didn’t seem to make a single one. I’ll leave it to you to create your own explanation why.

** I’m not going to try to decipher Fede Federico’s personal motivations and whether he wants to win a game more than anyone else. What I will say instead is that his efforts and subsequent results were incredibly meaningful, while also completely timely, to the Panther’s victory.

** I’ll even go as far as to say that if Fede doesn’t rebound Nelly’s miss and return it through the basket at the 2:00 minute mark, no one would have ever been chanting “LET'S GO PITT” on the steps on the way out of the Pete tonight.

** My other takeaway from today’s game is that this year’s Panthers don’t seem to play the game with very much fear. They certainly almost never seem to be afraid to shoot the ball and that’s allowed them the confidence to shoot the ball whenever and wherever it’s needed. This is especially true for Blake Hinson who’s three to cut it to three with a minute and a half to go was among a handful of the biggest shots in a year that’s already had a pretty nice share of big shots.

** And while I liked that three, whether it was the game plan or personally choice, it was good to see Blake take the ball to they hoop today in addition to letting it fling from outside the line.

** Perhaps even more than Hinson, it would seem to me that Coach Capel continually encourages Nelly Cummings to keep shooting when I know many fans would rather he wouldn’t. But one way or another, his shot with a minute to found someway to fall through the hoop.

** In the game’s final minutes, the Panthers never appeared to fear playing defense. Conversely, the usually well coached Canes looked tentative and undisciplined. And that made all of the needed difference to move the Panthers ahead of Miami in the ACC standings.

** Going back to our 2002-2003 team, the Pete they returned to today looked not all that unlike the one they left in at the end of that season 20 years ago. The crowd certainly numbered clearly over 10K while the Oakland Zoo was packed and in the final minutes was bouncing just like they did 20 years ago. It was pretty wonderful actually.

** Lots of things today seemed like they did 20 years ago. But the only thing that will really matter to me is returning to the NCAA Tournament like the 02-03 team and 12 other groups did to start this millennium.

** This result is far from being set in stone just yet. But today’s big win was a huge step in that direction.

I’m sure you would be thrilled if he went to Pitt! I’m also sure your wallet might be a little happier as well compared to penn lol.

That was great to watch. I graduated high school in 03 so really for a large portion of my life pitt was among the best at basketball. I always looked at Pitt’s history and wondered when the other shoe would drop, but those teams and watching them are some of my best sports memories.

It’s nice to get a bit of that back

Miami is very talented, but I believe we’re the better team. We didn’t play our best game, but like you and others said, we made big shots. Even though Mr Burton isn’t the best athlete or most skilled guy in the league, he’s one of the best ball players in the league. What a player he’s turned himself into.

No reason we can’t win our 9th in chapel hill in a few days. We are that good where I’m expecting it.

One other thing I’ll say.. I never lose any faith when we’re down. Never. I always know we’ll claw back into it. We have so much firepower offensively that an 8 pt lead can turn into an 11-0 run in 2 minutes.. when the other team is trying to run click too. We’re never out of any game. We’re simply too good to fold.

** In fact, my 17 year old son said it was the most fun he’s ever watching a basketball game in person. He’ll be making his college selection in the next several weeks. He’s looking at a remarkably elite group of schools including the likes of NYU, Georgetown, William and Mary, Penn, Case Western, Penn and others. Yet, it’s possible today’s game provided the kind of experience that tilts his matriculation toward the University of Pittsburgh.

** I’m not going to try to decipher Fede Federiko’s personal motivations and whether he wants to win a game more than anyone else. What I will say instead is that his efforts and subsequent results were incredibly meaningful, while also completely timely, to the Panther’s victory.

** And while I liked that three, whether it was the game plan or personally choice, it was good to see Blake take the ball to the hoop today in addition to letting it fling from outside the line.

** Perhaps even more than Hinson, it would seem to me that Coach Capel continually encourages Nelly Cummings to keep shooting when I know many fans would rather he wouldn’t. But one way or another, his shot with a minute to found someway to fall through the hoop.

** This result is far from being set in stone just yet. But today’s big win was a huge step in that direction.

I said the same about Fede’s rebound and put back. Same as last game. It turns the tide and is such a back breaker at an important time. Nice to have an athletic nearly 7 footer around to do that.

I can't stop watching videos online and listening to the crowd on the Wong shot but that Burton steal and Hinson put back...... so fun... so great to hear
And what a game for this great win right? Their first sellout in 4 seasons and Pitt honoring a great Pitt team of the past. You couldn't write a better script.

Can I still use cash to buy food or a drink at the Pete? After covid so many venues used it as an excuse to go cashless. Hope the Pete didn't.

Reactions: Wanstash21
To quote my brother regarding The Pete being cashless:

"...and so is PNC Park, Acrisure Stadium and PPG Paints Arena. Welcome to the 21st Century!"
No I get it but it doesn't mean it's right to do that.

I bought a beer with a $20 bill today actually.

Pretty much every game I buy a bottle of water on the way in. I know it's ridiculously overpriced, but I like to have something to drink during the course of the game. I have paid cash at every game, men and women, at every concession stand I have been at.

Reactions: PittPoker
Great post as always. I moved to CA a few years ago and of all the things I miss, games like this would be top of the list.

Good luck to your son on his decision. My son went to NYU then graduate school at Northwestern. He still seems to love Pitt but living in NYC as a college kid will give him exposures unlike anywhere else. All the schools on his list are great but our experience with NYC is very favorable. The school education is great but the growing up education is even better. Internships alone will allow him to really learn a lot about himself. The only downside is the cost.

Good to hear from you -- hope you are well.

basketball is a game of runs. sometimes you just can't do anything to stop the other team's run. miami couldn't at the worst possible time for them.

** In fact, my 17 year old son said it was the most fun he’s ever had watching a basketball game in person. He’ll be making his college selection in the next several weeks. He’s looking at a remarkably elite group of schools including the likes of NYU, Georgetown, William and Mary, Penn, Case Western, Penn and others. Yet, it’s possible today’s game provided the kind of experience that tilts his matriculation toward the University of Pittsburgh.

** This outcome is far from being set in stone just yet. But today’s big win was a huge step in that direction.

Great post DT and I'm really glad to hear about all of those great options your son has. I'm sure whichever one he chooses will be the right one for him. H2P.

Reactions: USN_Panther

-Really improbable, big time win! We kept climbing the hill and we’d get almost all the way to the top and Miami would knock us down again. From 11 to 5, then back to 11 and down to 6. Back again to 11 and then down to 4. And then, Wong hit 2 big baskets to again give them leads of 5 and 6.

-It was about this time that I figured we were going to come up a bit short. I wasn’t overly discouraged. We had played a really nice 2nd half.

-And then just like that, a Fede putback, a Hinson 3, a Nelly 2 and then Hinson’s tip in and we were somehow ahead. Now thinking, “wow, can we steal this one?”

-it really was an amazing win and all 5 of our starters made huge plays down the stretch.

-Couldn’t make it today, but the crowd sounded great. Hope this is the start of something special again.

-3rd place in the ACC sounds great. Need to keep winning though, not much margin for error. Games at UNC, FSU, Va Tech, ND and Miami won’t be easy. FSU played a really good game against Clemson today, Va Tech is healthy and playing well again and ND will be playing their hearts out for Brey in his last home game.

** In fact, my 17 year old son said it was the most fun he’s ever had watching a basketball game in person. He’ll be making his college selection in the next several weeks. He’s looking at a remarkably elite group of schools including the likes of NYU, Georgetown, William and Mary, Penn, Case Western, Penn and others. Yet, it’s possible today’s game provided the kind of experience that tilts his matriculation toward the University of Pittsburgh.

DT, I remember being with you and your toddler son @ Boston for the EE game in 2009. Hard to believe that he's now about to choose a college. Seems like just yesterday, man! Good luck to him and your family as he makes this decision. I know you'll be a proud papa regardless of where he goes, and if it's not Pitt, he'll still be rooting for the gold and blue!

DT, I remember being with you and your toddler son @ Boston for the EE game in 2009. Hard to believe that he's now about to choose a college. Seems like just yesterday, man! Good luck to him and your family as he makes this decision. I know you'll be a proud papa regardless of where he goes, and if it's not Pitt, he'll still be rooting for the gold and blue!
Those were a great couple of days up until that last second!

Reactions: cabe23 and Fredact

That was ME DT!!! Let’s Go Pitt!!!!

Reactions: PITT_PANTHER17
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT