ADVERTISEMENT

Might hockey play in the new volleyball arena?

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
We just added a women's lacrosse team. Might that (ie Title IX scholarships) combined with the new arena mean hockey is more feasible now? Configuring it for hockey plus managing the ice surface wont be cheap or easy but its a thought.

If Pitt were to add hockey, I do think the ACC should start a hockey league for more ACCN programming

Pitt
Notre Dame
Boston College
Boston University
Northeastern
Harvard
UMass
UConn
Princeton
Dartmouth
Yale
Brown
Cornell

It takes a large floor space for hockey and small floor space for volleyball, wrestling, etc. makes little sense to combine hockey with those sports. Maybe indoor soccer?

Reactions: ThePanthers
We just added a women's lacrosse team. Might that (ie Title IX scholarships) combined with the new arena mean hockey is more feasible now? Configuring it for hockey plus managing the ice surface wont be cheap or easy but its a thought.

If Pitt were to add hockey, I do think the ACC should start a hockey league for more ACCN programming

Pitt
Notre Dame
Boston College
Boston University
Northeastern
Harvard
UMass
UConn
Princeton
Dartmouth
Yale
Brown
Cornell
Hardly any of them are in the ACC. I'd say it's more realistic if Pitt joined an existing hockey league. Like maybe what RMU is in? Or Hockey East.

It takes a large floor space for hockey and small floor space for volleyball, wrestling, etc. makes little sense to combine hockey with those sports. Maybe indoor soccer?
I doubt there is any college indoor soccer. Although I know that colleges play some kind of informal indoor soccer tournaments with their outdoor teams in the winter, I attended one such tournament once at Grove City College, and there where D3 teams as well as teams representing Slippery Rock, Penn State, tOSU, Pitt, of course it was in the '80s. I had a friend that played for Grove City. So who knows if stuff like that exists anymore.

It makes more sense than renting PPG Paints Arena. I know what you are saying but if Pitt was ever going to add hockey, their best bet would be building an arena for it and then putting a volleyball/wrestling surface on it. They could build the bleachers in a "U" shape and put the volleyball/wrestling surface right up against the bleacher side.

Pitt
Notre Dame
Boston College
Boston University
Northeastern
Harvard
UMass
UConn
Princeton
Dartmouth
Yale
Brown
Cornell

Why would the six Ivy League schools quit playing hockey in the Ivy League in order to play in the ACC?

Not that it matters, because Pitt isn't adding hockey anyway.

Pitt
Notre Dame
Boston College
Boston University
Northeastern
Harvard
UMass
UConn
Princeton
Dartmouth
Yale
Brown
Cornell

Why would the six Ivy League schools quit playing hockey in the Ivy League in order to play in the ACC?

Not that it matters, because Pitt isn't adding hockey anyway.

The Ivy League doesn't sponsor hockey. So I kinda liked this ACC/Ivy League partnership. Plus some of those schools are pretty good

Pitt
Notre Dame
Boston College
Boston University
Northeastern
Harvard
UMass
UConn
Princeton
Dartmouth
Yale
Brown
Cornell
You are blending different leagues here and leaving out Maine, New Hampshire, umass Lowell and Merrimack. Although Maine and unh have a history of frozen 4 appearances , UMass Lowell and Merrimack have come on strong in recent years not sure if your rational

Pitt
Notre Dame
Boston College
Boston University
Northeastern
Harvard
UMass
UConn
Princeton
Dartmouth
Yale
Brown
Cornell

Even though I would love it, I don't think Pitt will add hockey anytime in the near future...... but, if Pitt really wanted to add ice hockey, they would likely have to add another women's sport for title IX reasons and they would need to build their own hockey arena ...... it would all require a very large financial investment to get started ...... despite this, if Pitt, for some reason, wanted to start a first class hockey program, I'd consider trying to join the Big 10 for hockey only just as Notre Dame did (although I suspect the Big 10 may well not want Pitt to join for hockey)....... However, I don't think any of this happens anytime soon, if ever.

Last edited:
When hockey was discussed it the plan is to build a rink at victory heights that would be separate from the wrestling/volleyball facility

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT