ADVERTISEMENT

Might sound crazy, but I liked some things last night....

pitt-girl

Board of Trustee
Gold Member
Mar 16, 2004
If nothing else, these kids are trying very hard. It would be easy given all the negatives this year to just give up, but to me they look like they're fighting most games.

Having said that, is it the players, is it the coaching, is it their youth, it is the teams we're playing - or even a combo of all of those - but why does it feel like we're not getting better from an X's and O's perspective?

I'll be there for the rest of the games this season rooting for these student athletes. They don't deserve all the derision that the Stallings hire produced. I'm hoping that they are given a better chance next year with a change to any or all of those issues I listed above.

Hail to Pitt.

It just seems like they run a weave constantly trying to get a look at a 3.
It would probably have been a bad idea (because of his many turnovers) but I would have tried Frame at the top of the key. He would have had shorter jumper to hit and he also could turn and go. Kene might have worked as well if he was inclined to shot. Kene is a better passer. Brown passes pretty well and in time, will hit jumpers from there. His problem is slight nudges seem to bother him greatly (not properly set jumpers or coughing up the ball).

It's a tough thing. Fan support (or lack thereof) means a lot, whether it's to Pitt or Pirates.

The players on both teams deserve support, our guys are young and giving it their all, and the Buccos is the same, with many young likeable guys.

The problem is, #1 paying for tickets is an investment to be entertained, and if you constantly leave miserable, then is it worth it?

#2 and more importantly, how many fans shows up matters. If there's 1000-3000 fans at the rest of the ACC games and we go 0-18, the administration will have to seriously consider a way out. Meanwhile, if everybody "supported" and went to all the games, that wouldn't be the case.

Just like the Pirates. Their management will never change their ways until fans stop showing up (therefore losing their $$$).

If you like watching Pitt no matter what or have good times with your kids, or in the Pirates cause just love baseball, PNC, etc, I can't tell you you're wrong for that.

Similarly, if you don't wanna waste your time & money on a bad product and want your "voice to be heard" and don't go, I support that too until things change.

Once a committment to winning is shown, like football right now, that's when you support through it all.

It would probably have been a bad idea (because of his many turnovers) but I would have tried Frame at the top of the key. He would have had shorter jumper to hit and he also could turn and go. Kene might have worked as well if he was inclined to shot. Kene is a better passer. Brown passes pretty well and in time, will hit jumpers from there. His problem is slight nudges seem to bother him greatly (not properly set jumpers or coughing up the ball).
You have to wonder if Stallings will continue to use the 2-3 zone.

If nothing else, these kids are trying very hard. It would be easy given all the negatives this year to just give up, but to me they look like they're fighting most games.

Having said that, is it the players, is it the coaching, is it their youth, it is the teams we're playing - or even a combo of all of those - but why does it feel like we're not getting better from an X's and O's perspective?

I'll be there for the rest of the games this season rooting for these student athletes. They don't deserve all the derision that the Stallings hire produced. I'm hoping that they are given a better chance next year with a change to any or all of those issues I listed above.

Hail to Pitt.
Welcome aboard!

What did you think of playing Brown and Kene together and both getting so much time?
Considering it was a fairly close game, one would think we'd at least like to see more of it and see if it can be successful.

Reactions: 4Mark_Marty
Considering it was a fairly close game, one would think we'd at least like to see more of it and see if it can be successful.
How about we insert Stevenson over Frame or Davis?

Brown - Kene - Stevenson - Stewart - Carr

More size - Decent scoring options - Less selfishness?

Reactions: Pitt5593
How about we insert Stevenson over Frame or Davis?

Brown - Kene - Stevenson - Stewart - Carr

More size - Decent scoring options - Less selfishness?

Anything could work betters than other things from day to day I guess. Understandiy so, i think Stallings is far from having figured out what would be most consistent.

Anything could work betters than other things from day to day I guess. Understandiy so, i think Stallings is far from having figured out what would be most consistent.
I think he knew how he wanted the team to play with Luther. Now (with freshmen inconsistency) he is not sure.

Made a major mistake not bringing in another point. It appears he didn't recognize the need. I saw little effort to address this major need, (I know Thompson left, there was still plenty of time)

Sure we needed bigs too, he did recognize that and tried to address it, this was just the best he could do.

You have to wonder if Stallings will continue to use the 2-3 zone.
I think he will because it does serve to hide some of the obvious defensive deficiencies and teams get jumper happy against zones, but the two obvious issues (which were exploited in the GTech game) are the inability to contain penetration is still very much present and especially offensive rebounds as you don't have man-to-man block out responsibilities. I still think that it is probably the lesser of two evils in this case.

Why doesn't Samson George play, he gets in there 1-2 minutes and always makes a good looking play, rebound, dunk etc?

Hail to Pitt.

Trying very hard isn’t good enough. This isn’t 5th grade CYO basketball. I’m soooo sick and tired of the trying hard arguement.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
Trying very hard isn’t good enough. This isn’t 5th grade CYO basketball. I’m soooo sick and tired of the trying hard arguement.
I'm also not convinced that this team plays all that hard, although sometimes it's hard to separate that argument from the general lack of talent and athleticism. They aren't very good defensively and they have just gotten killed on the glass and those are often two objective measures of effort. I think it's pretty safe to say that this team plays hard in spurts, but certainly not consistently.

We have had more starting lineups than anyone in college basketball this year. I am not saying that as a criticism, just an affirmation that Stallings is really trying to figure out what combination of players work best.

Hail to Pitt.
I respect your opinion, but I don’t feel everyone is giving their max effort on both ends of the court on a consistent basis.

...but why does it feel like we're not getting better from an X's and O's perspective?

Last night, a lot of Xs and Os were there. Frame couldn't hit anything, Carr spent too much time on the bench, and others didn't take them when open. What was really frustrating to me were the many jumpers that weren't taken in the high post when they were there. Players should know from gradeschool ball that's one of the major sconing holes in a 2-3 defense. Years ago, this shot was developed early and was almost a layup for many players. Unfortunately, because it's not an attention getting dunk or a 3-pointer, it's been neglected like a lot of other midrange shots. Because the 2-3 zone isn't going away, kids should always have this shot in the repertoire.

Why doesn't Samson George play, he gets in there 1-2 minutes and always makes a good looking play, rebound, dunk etc?

Honestly it's because George is the classic case of a limited minutes guy who does one good obvious thing and five terrible things in his handful of minutes. He's a huge minus defensively right now.

ADVERTISEMENT