ADVERTISEMENT

Mike412

Fk_Pitt

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2007
@mike412
just wanted to share this with you. One of my favorites is wrapping up his Chelsea career. He was once a Barcelona guy. Not sure if you’re a fan but it’s a sad day for me.

He’s slowed down significantly. He’s a defensive liability in the midfield. But not many serve a long ball like he does. He came in late today and immediately you could see the difference he made in the game with Chelsea needing a goal.

He’s won many trophies at Chelsea but he’s off to Monaco. France will be a better fit for him now.

In the first match I saw at the Camp Nou, he scored a hat trick. Barca beat Marbella (since relegated) 5-0.

I always have liked him. A very intelligent, thoughtful and well-spoken man. When he was with Barca, he would tweet every tweet he posted in three languages: Spanish, Catalan and English.

My favorite story he tells is Messi’s first day at La Masia: When they brought Messi into the classroom, everyone assumed he was in the wrong class because he looked too small to be 13. But, he stayed. Then, they went to an informal practice. Pep was there and he threw a ball to Messi and asked Cesc and Gerard Pique to try to take the ball off him. Cesc then pauses and finally says in wonderment: “15 minutes later, he still had the ball.”

He fell out of favor because he came back to Barca when Xavi, Iniesta and Busquet were at their peaks, and his strengths did not fit the Barca system. At that time, with Pep and later Tito as the managers, the long ball just was not part of Barca’s game. And, he didn’t track back well on defense. When Xavi and Iniesta are breaking their backs on defense, as they both did, he needed to emulate that. But, I always liked him and I always thought Barca needed to supplement its game with long balls.

I wish him nothing but the best. Monaco should be a good fit. He’s a great family man and only is willing to play in places where his family will be happy.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
In the first match I saw at the Camp Nou, he scored a hat trick. Barca beat Marbella (since relegated) 5-0.

I always have liked him. A very intelligent, thoughtful and well-spoken man. When he was with Barca, he would tweet every tweet he posted in three languages: Spanish, Catalan and English.

My favorite story he tells is Messi’s first day at La Masia: When they brought Messi into the classroom, everyone assumed he was in the wrong class because he looked too small to be 13. But, he stayed. Then, they went to an informal practice. Pep was there and he threw a ball to Messi and asked Cesc and Gerard Pique to try to take the ball off him. Cesc then pauses and finally says in wonderment: “15 minutes later, he still had the ball.”

He fell out of favor because he came back to Barca when Xavi, Iniesta and Busquet were at their peaks, and his strengths did not fit the Barca system. At that time, with Pep and later Tito as the managers, the long ball just was not part of Barca’s game. And, he didn’t track back well on defense. When Xavi and Iniesta are breaking their backs on defense, as they both did, he needed to emulate that. But, I always liked him and I always thought Barca needed to supplement its game with long balls.

I wish him nothing but the best. Monaco should be a good fit. He’s a great family man and only is willing to play in places where his family will be happy.
Thanks for that post, Mike. Really, really good stuff. And you’re right, he had defensive limitations even before age crept in. But still a very talented player and seemingly a better person. Today is probably his send off, as I believe he’s in the starting lineup vs Nottingham Forest in an FA Cup match.

Because Chelsea changes managers every other year it seems, he’s fit in with some systems and not with others. He was a top 11 guy under Mourinho, then Conte came in year 1 and he never played. Then in year 2, Conte decided to switch things up and Cesc was a big part of the squad. Now Sarri is here as the Manager, and Cesc can’t see the field again.

Speaking of Conte, I wish he could get along with Diego Costa. I wish Costa were still here. He would be thriving in this Sarri system and we’d be much better in the attacking 1/3rd. Losing Costa and replacing him with alvaro Morata was a bad, bad swap. Morata can’t find the broad side of a barn for 14 straight months. I hear Sevilla may be interested in him? How’s Costa doing in Madrid?

Costa is almost always injured. If healthy, he does his usual: scoring goals and picking up red cards. Atletico just picked up Morata to have an additional striker because of Costa being unfit so often. Simeone finally has a squad with enough depth to compete in three leagues and they actually aren’t having a better season than they did when they didn’t have any depth. Which, as a Barca fan, is fine with me.

Costa is almost always injured. If healthy, he does his usual: scoring goals and picking up red cards. Atletico just picked up Morata to have an additional striker because of Costa being unfit so often. Simeone finally has a squad with enough depth to compete in three leagues and they actually aren’t having a better season than they did when they didn’t have any depth. Which, as a Barca fan, is fine with me.
Yeah. I thought it was ironic that atletico has added a new former chelsea striker to the same roster as Costa. I was wondering why they would do so. Costa’s injuries and fitness explain it. I like Morata but he just wasn’t working out. He seems mentally fragile. He can’t hit the broad side of a barn due to it. And he doesn’t play with an edge, which is often important for a forward. It’s part of what makes Costa who his is—a player you love on your team and a player you hate if on another because he gets under your skin. Morata instead is the guy that will reach down and pick you up if he knocks you down. Morata is in a constant search for the right fit/the right club. I think it’s due to him not finding the right comfort within himself. I wish him the best.

Last edited:
Mike. How has coutinho been doing? There’s talk of a transfer to chelsea.

He has been playing poorly. He is playing out of position at left wing and from there he really only has one move: cutting to the right and shooting a curler at the upper right hand corner. Everyone now plays against it.

Arjen Robben has played on the right wing, with the mirror image one-move, successfully for years. But, in his prime he had a lot more pace than Coutinho does. I would like Coutinho to get time at his natural midfield position, but Valverde seems to prefer other options there. Coutinho has lost the ball frequently when he has been given time in midfield, and that can be fatal in Barca’s system because it leads to quick counterattacks.

Of course, two months ago, lots of Barca fans were calling for them to get rid of Dembele. Then, all of a sudden he got hot and has become a goal scoring demon. Now, Coutinho has become the whipping boy.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
He has been playing poorly. He is playing out of position at left wing and from there he really only has one move: cutting to the right and shooting a curler at the upper right hand corner. Everyone now plays against it.

Arjen Robben has played on the right wing, with the mirror image one-move, successfully for years. But, in his prime he had a lot more pace than Coutinho does. I would like Coutinho to get time at his natural midfield position, but Valverde seems to prefer other options there. Coutinho has lost the ball frequently when he has been given time in midfield, and that can be fatal in Barca’s system because it leads to quick counterattacks.

Of course, two months ago, lots of Barca fans were calling for them to get rid of Dembele. Then, all of a sudden he got hot and has become a goal scoring demon. Now, Coutinho has become the whipping boy.
Thanks! Great stuff. Our whipping boy seems to be Willian for the same reason...and ironically he’s been linked to you! But he says he’s not going anywhere and Chelsea doesn’t seem ready to sell. But Chelsea has a policy and 30+ yr old players aren’t always in their plans. Both Willian and Pedro are in that group. Maybe they will move on in the summer. Plus, they need to make room for Pulisic who would be a replacement that’s 10 years younger.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT