ADVERTISEMENT

Minnesota Game & Other Dribbles ...

DT_PITT

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 17, 2001
** For better or worse (and I expect most will choose the latter), I suspect what we watched this evening is the best our Panthers Hoopers can be.

** There’s no doubt that Minnesota is not a good team, but they are a Power 6 team, and that’s something.

** And against the Golden Gophers, we watched the Panthers bring 40 minutes of intensity and just about the best focus they might be able to muster.

** For nearly the entire game, they worked together to find offense, and communicated and played together on defense.

** And as for me as a fan, I can say I actually enjoyed watching the Panthers for the first time this year for all but the last few horrible seconds I suppose. But we’ll get to those last few seconds in a bit.

** Watching Big John was nothing short of a complete pleasure. He did so many things well on both ends of the court, I couldn’t help but feel terrible for him when Minny tipped in the game winner.

** What I liked best about Big John this night was the number of times he dragged his huge frame off the court after hitting the deck. I especially liked his dive for a loose ball and timeout to save a possession in the last minutes.

** If we lived in day when we could think about the future, you’d think he’d be a really good player to build upon. But with the reality of our coaching situation followed by the ease of transferring, we may have to enjoy him while we can.

** Throughout the game, my friend with whom I was sitting along with @4Mark_Marty, who joined us midway through the game, all marveled at the work of Mo, who made so many winning plays on the glass and on defense.

** We also appreciated the intangibles of Will, along with his first meaningful three of his career. Will is really an excellent defender but he really will have to find some more offense someday.

** Perhaps it can be said that the three of us were grateful to have a game we could indeed enjoy. We haven’t had one yet this year, and it’s hard to think we are going to have many more this year.

** But like the rest of the shrinking Panther Hoop nation, we were terribly dismayed at the failures of offensive in the last moments.

** My big prediction to our group at the under 4 timeout was the Femi was going to hit a big three. Instead, both he and Jamarius failed to look for Big John at all, resulting in two misses by Burton and a turnover from Femi. Up until those last moments, the Panthers had solid execution on offense allowing them to grind for points. There was no such focus on those final few trips.

** This magnifies the biggest and most obvious problem the Panthers have at the moment and will likely have all year long … we are just a really, really bad shooting team, and there’s no room for error, neither physical or mental.

** From time to time, it would be great if we had a Panther hit a really tough three. Minny hit a couple of those. We are pretty fortunate to even hit an open jumper it would seem.

** Along those lines, this was the first game this year where I really would have wanted Ithiel on the court. So it is.

** Before closing, I also want to offer a most deserved congratulations to Onyebuchi Ezeakudo who played really well all over the court and brought so much more on the offensive end than we may have ever thought he was capable of contributing.

** I believe we really should also offer something of a sincere congratulations to all of the Panther players after this one. It’s always a good thing to see them play as hard as they did tonight. This night, they deserve our respect as fans.

** As for the coaching staff, it’s obvious that they didn’t mail it in either. Nonetheless, failure of a team to execute in the final minutes is almost always a reflection of the abilities of the coaches. But in this regard, it’s not as if we are learning something about them that we didn’t already know.

** So after this disappointing finish at the Pete, I’ll leave on a high note – GO PANTHERS!! – BEAT THE DEMON DEACONS IN CHARLOTTE ON SATURDAY!!

Good summary as always DT.
I also thought Gueye played
good tonight. I've been posting
that he hurts us by not playing
within the context of the offense.
Tonight he did, I just wish he
was more of a scorer. I also
thought Ezeakudo was a positive
addition.
This IMO was a WOULDA, COULDA,
SHOULDA kind of game. It's
the best I've seen so far, and I do
think we might have had a few
more wins if we played this way
previously. If only we could shoot!

Reactions: TWPitt
Tough loss , no doubt .

Hugley was a stud tonight .

All Jeffress needs to do to be really effective is hit 2-4 open shots per game . There’s nothing wrong with a glue guy who scores 6-10 points .

Without Nike and Horton Pitts got nothing reliable from deep , hope Hortons legal issues get straightened out ASAP.

Santos needs to be out there more , winning by playing tough D is great , but someone needs to stretch the D or Hugley won’t have room to breath .

** For better or worse (and I expect most will choose the latter), I suspect what we watched this evening is the best our Panthers Hoopers can be.

** There’s no doubt that Minnesota is not a good team, but they are a Power 6 team, and that’s something.

** And against the Golden Gophers, we watched the Panthers bring 40 minutes of intensity and just about the best focus they might be able to muster.

** For nearly the entire game, they worked together to find offense, and communicated and played together on defense.

** And as for me as a fan, I can say I actually enjoyed watching the Panthers for the first time this year for all but the last few horrible seconds I suppose. But we’ll get to those last few seconds in a bit.

** Watching Big John was nothing short of a complete pleasure. He did so many things well on both ends of the court, I couldn’t help but feel terrible for him when Minny tipped in the game winner.

** What I liked best about Big John this night was the number of times he dragged his huge frame off the court after hitting the deck. I especially liked his dive for a loose ball and timeout to save a possession in the last minutes.

** If we lived in day when we could think about the future, you’d think he’d be a really good player to build upon. But with the reality of our coaching situation followed by the ease of transferring, we may have to enjoy him while we can.

** Throughout the game, my friend with whom I was sitting along with @4Mark_Marty, who joined us midway through the game, all marveled at the work of Mo, who made so many winning plays on the glass and on defense.

** We also appreciated the intangibles of Will, along with his first meaningful three of his career. Will is really an excellent defender but he really will have to find some more offense someday.

** Perhaps it can be said that the three of us were grateful to have a game we could indeed enjoy. We haven’t had one yet this year, and it’s hard to think we are going to have many more this year.

** But like the rest of the shrinking Panther Hoop nation, we were terribly dismayed at the failures of offensive in the last moments.

** My big prediction to our group at the under 4 timeout was the Femi was going to hit a big three. Instead, both he and Jamarius failed to look for Big John at all, resulting in two misses by Burton and a turnover from Femi. Up until those last moments, the Panthers had solid execution on offense allowing them to grind for points. There was no such focus on those final few trips.

** This magnifies the biggest and most obvious problem the Panthers have at the moment and will likely have all year long … we are just a really, really bad shooting team, and there’s no room for error, neither physical or mental.

** From time to time, it would be great if we had a Panther hit a really tough three. Minny hit a couple of those. We are pretty fortunate to even hit an open jumper it would seem.

** Along those lines, this was the first game this year where I really would have wanted Ithiel on the court. So it is.

** Before closing, I also want to offer a most deserved congratulations to Onyebuchi Ezeakudo who played really well all over the court and brought so much more on the offensive end than we may have ever thought he was capable of contributing.

** I believe we really should also offer something of a sincere congratulations to all of the Panther players after this one. It’s always a good thing to see them play as hard as they did tonight. This night, they deserve our respect as fans.

** As for the coaching staff, it’s obvious that they didn’t mail it in either. Nonetheless, failure of a team to execute in the final minutes is almost always a reflection of the abilities of the coaches. But in this regard, it’s not as if we are learning something about them that we didn’t already know.

** So after this disappointing finish at the Pete, I’ll leave on a high note – GO PANTHERS!! – BEAT THE DEMON DEACONS IN CHARLOTTE ON SATURDAY!!
You wrote you were gonna touch on the last 2 minutes but you hardly did. It was atrocious and lack of coaching had a ton to do with it. Didn't feed Hugley the ball at all, no boxing out, etc... Even the dumb halfcourt heave at the end - that's the best play Pitt could have drawn up with 2 1/2 seconds left? I'm sorry the coaching or lack thereof was atrocious like usual.

Why no Santos?

I think it's a fair question, but the best answer I suspect is that he didn't quite fit the pound it to John game plan. I think Capel also wanted to have "point guards" on the court at all time. So when Santos came in, he played at the three only. And I think Capel didn't want to take out Will because of his defense.

Reactions: persp
Why no Santos?
I'd like to see him on the
floor more. He's a frosh,
but has been playing
because he's clearly our
best outside threat. As
of now he's 25.9% on 3's.
Bad as that is, he's still
without Horton, our only
outside threat. If he doesn't
hit his outside J, he doesn't
add a lot. My sense is Capel
wanted a different look out
there.

You wrote you were gonna touch on the last 2 minutes but you hardly did. It was atrocious and lack of coaching had a ton to do with it. Didn't feed Hugley the ball at all, no boxing out, etc... Even the dumb halfcourt heave at the end - that's the best play Pitt could have drawn up with 2 1/2 seconds left? I'm sorry the coaching or lack thereof was atrocious like usual.
So sorry to disappoint you, but I suspect that there's nothing I could have written that would have satisfied your taste for blood.

So sorry to disappoint you, but I suspect that there's nothing I could have written that would have satisfied your taste for blood.
Taste for blood? Really? I don't know, how 'bout just your analysis?

You can’t ask for a better effort from the team. They played well, but just don’t make enough shots. I feel bad for them, because they are all really trying and working hard and I was hoping that they would get this close victory.

Like many said, we just had 4 really bad offensive trips to end the game. All we had to do was score once, but we really didn’t even get into an offense on any of those possessions.

Of course, John had a great game, but Zeke played very well offensively and defensively. He stayed in front of his man on D and he was the PG who moved the ball more than any other on O. I would like to see more of him.

Mo had a nice game rebounding and Jeffress is a plus defender. We have some pieces, just not any shooters.

Reactions: Pav9870
You can’t ask for a better effort from the team. They played well, but just don’t make enough shots. I feel bad for them, because they are all really trying and working hard and I was hoping that they would get this close victory.

Like many said, we just had 4 really bad offensive trips to end the game. All we had to do was score once, but we really didn’t even get into an offense on any of those possessions.

Of course, John had a great game, but Zeke played very well offensively and defensively. He stayed in front of his man on D and he was the PG who moved the ball more than any other on O. I would like to see more of him.

Mo had a nice game rebounding and Jeffress is a plus defender. We have some pieces, just not any shooters.
Amen to that! We would have
won two more games if we
played like tonight. Capel has
been getting blasted on here,
much of it deserved, but he
had them ready tonight, We
have nobody who can hit from
the outside. Teams know it and
they're obviously coached to make
us one dimensional. I hope this
wasn't a one time deal.

Reactions: Pav9870
Watching the last few minutes it felt like any fan out of the stands had a better chance of making a basket than some of these kids did the way they shot at the area around the basket. I say area because there is no way that any NCAA basketball player could miss as badly as these guys did If they actually were shooting at the orange, metal rim.

I find it really hard to blame the coaches for this one. No doubt players were encouraged to find Hugley, at the same time Minnesota was being coached to make sure to cover him, This contributed to why they were not able to get him the ball, better a shot each possession than a turnover. Average "NCAA basketball players" score on a couple of those shots at the end.

Amen to that! We would have
won two more games if we
played like tonight. Capel has
been getting blasted on here,
much of it deserved, but he
had them ready tonight, We
have nobody who can hit from
the outside. Teams know it and
they're obviously coached to make
us one dimensional. I hope this
wasn't a one time deal.
Well I think it is and always has been a one time deal. It seems the team plays somewhat better after being completely embarrassed and then for some unknown reason their heads get big and then the next game they get embarrassed again. So this was the comeback game and we did reasonably well and then disintegrate at the end. What do the kids have left to shoot for (no pun intended).

Absolutely agree--we saw the best this team is capable of last night -- its ceiling, IMHO. We saw the best a team with horrid outside shooting can do in this age of the importance of the 3-ball. Maybe if, or when, Horton gets back the ceiling can be slightly higher.

I thought a part of the problem in the last few minutes was that Big John, after all his earlier work looked physically tired--I felt that hurt his play--especially his rebounding late.

And, yes, it is too bad we can't really look forward to keeping Big John, Femi and Jeffress ( I still believe he has more upside than he has shown so far) and maybe Santos as building blocks (I won't say "bricks") upon which to add several really good shooting transfers for next season.

Will Capel be gone not later than spring 2023? This, no doubt depends on whether he can land quality recruits/transfers (especially 3-ball artists) by this spring that provide reasonable hope for the future. If not, it is hard to see him being kept beyond the end of next season at the latest.

Absolutely agree--we saw the best this team is capable of last night -- its ceiling, IMHO. We saw the best a team with horrid outside shooting can do in this age of the importance of the 3-ball. Maybe if, or when, Horton gets back the ceiling can be slightly higher.

I thought a part of the problem in the last few minutes was that Big John, after all his earlier work looked physically tired--I felt that hurt his play--especially his rebounding late.

And, yes, it is too bad we can't really look forward to keeping Big John, Femi and Jeffress ( I still believe he has more upside than he has shown so far) and maybe Santos as building blocks (I won't say "bricks") upon which to add several really good shooting transfers for next season.

Will Capel be gone not later than spring 2023? This, no doubt depends on whether he can land quality recruits/transfers (especially 3-ball artists) by this spring that provide reasonable hope for the future. If not, it is hard to see him being kept beyond the end of next season at the latest.

So you think if we finish the OOC with say 4 wins (Jacksonville/Wofford) and win 1-3 ACC games ( being generous with my range), you think they bring Capel back for the 22-23 season?

Honestly asking as I don’t see a path short of a huge recruiting class of him being asked back.

I think it's a fair question, but the best answer I suspect is that he didn't quite fit the pound it to John game plan. I think Capel also wanted to have "point guards" on the court at all time. So when Santos came in, he played at the three only. And I think Capel didn't want to take out Will because of his defense.

I think you need him on the floor when you're pounding it into John. He's the only floor spacer we have.

when Minnesota went 2-3 in the second half and we tried posting up John on the low block, the guy covering the wing would sag to help deny the entry pass. Jeffress had about 5-6 feet of space between he and the defender. If Jeffress is a knockdown shooter he lights it up last night. So many open looks that Horton or Santos could've capitalized on.

Reactions: Drew1208

The name on the front of the jersey doesn't mean much to me. Minnesota returned 1 player and had 10 mid-major transfers (well if we consider the A10 mid-major like Joe). And these weren't high level transfers for the most part. They are the 2nd worst P6 team besides us and on the level of Towson, UMBC, etc.

Reactions: iMissTheOldDayss
So you think if we finish the OOC with say 4 wins (Jacksonville/Wofford) and win 1-3 ACC games ( being generous with my range), you think they bring Capel back for the 22-23 season?

Honestly asking as I don’t see a path short of a huge recruiting class of him being asked back.
With any business and yes this is a business Pitt is bleeding dark red ink so what are your choices ? Shut the doors , invest more capital into a losing proposition or hang on hoping things change .

Well they might like to shut the doors , but that’s not an option !

Firing Stallings and hiring JC shows that throwing money at a problem doesn’t always work !

Unless they truly make “ a splash hire “ they’re not going to sell enough new tickets to buy you a cup of coffee or instantly change the aura surrounding the program .

Honestly ask yourself what “splash hire “ is taking the Pitt job ?

Hiring an up and comer and building the program back to just an average ACC team in 2/3 yrs will keep the Pete empty and the red ink flowing .

What needs to be done is obvious, but I don’t think it makes cents !

With any business and yes this is a business Pitt is bleeding dark red ink so what are your choices ? Shut the doors , invest more capital into a losing proposition or hang on hoping things change .

Well they might like to shut the doors , but that’s not an option !

Firing Stallings and hiring JC shows that throwing money at a problem doesn’t always work !

Unless they truly make “ a splash hire “ they’re not going to sell enough new tickets to buy you a cup of coffee or instantly change the aura surrounding the program .

Hiring an up and comer and building the program back to just an average ACC team in 2/3 yrs will keep the Pete empty and the red ink flowing .

What needs to be done is obvious, but I don’t think it makes cents !
They aren’t competing in the soon to come 100 million dollar club, free housing and use of private jet for basketball since football has now opened the flood gates.

What I've been saying. The "young up and comer" MIGHT end up being a good coach and getting this team to the NCAAT but its going to be a very slow, gradual process and The Pete will be completely empty in Year 1, mostly empty in Year 2, and maybe by Year 3, if we show signs of being an NIT team, maybe we'll be drawing 3K-4K. That isnt to say attendance the next few years are all that matters but it has to be taken into a consideration. If you knew with 100% certainty that the mid-major guy was getting us to the NCAAT in Year 3 or 4, then you're ok of crowds between 500-1000 people but you know the failure rate of those guys is pretty high. My guess is that 75% are fired within 6 years.

There's 1 splash guy who is realistic and that's Pitino but there's no guarantee he'd come here.

You dont want to hear me say Miller again but Yinzers love locals and I think he'd create enough juice to get people interested the first few years, even while losing.

Buzz Williams is always willing to make strange coaching moves so I'd give him a call. Other than that, the only semi-splash guy would be some coach out there who you dont realize hates his boss. For example, lets say Kevin Keatts and the AD hate each other, someone like that would be looking to get out. I'm not suggesting that is anywhere near the case, just saying someone of that pedigree could be looking to move fir reasons other than basketball.

What I've been saying. The "young up and comer" MIGHT end up being a good coach and getting this team to the NCAAT but its going to be a very slow, gradual process and The Pete will be completely empty in Year 1, mostly empty in Year 2, and maybe by Year 3, if we show signs of being an NIT team, maybe we'll be drawing 3K-4K. That isnt to say attendance the next few years are all that matters but it has to be taken into a consideration. If you knew with 100% certainty that the mid-major guy was getting us to the NCAAT in Year 3 or 4, then you're ok of crowds between 500-1000 people but you know the failure rate of those guys is pretty high. My guess is that 75% are fired within 6 years.

There's 1 splash guy who is realistic and that's Pitino but there's no guarantee he'd come here.

You dont want to hear me say Miller again but Yinzers love locals and I think he'd create enough juice to get people interested the first few years, even while losing.

Buzz Williams is always willing to make strange coaching moves so I'd give him a call. Other than that, the only semi-splash guy would be some coach out there who you dont realize hates his boss. For example, lets say Kevin Keatts and the AD hate each other, someone like that would be looking to get out. I'm not suggesting that is anywhere near the case, just saying someone of that pedigree could be looking to move fir reasons other than basketball.
BK would get imo fans hopeful and cautiously optimistic but our program is so bad now it's just a given we'll probably need 3-4 years to start making the NCAA Tournament. We're effectively starting over again next season. I think BK will be the next head coach.

I don’t think anyone needs to hear you say any of this again. It’s unreal how you repeat the same stuff over and over.

Owt's double dribbles.

* First time in awhile I really felt bad for all involved with a loss: players, coaches, fans. They played hard all game. But.....

* We can't shoot, we can't win. We don't have any scorers aside from Hugely, and no one is going to shoot well enough to force the other team to worry about them defensively which will continue to pack the defense.

* Femi did his best X imitation going down the stretch. Not good.

* I hate to say this, but seeing John play like that really gives me concern if he will be here next year or in a program that is in a much better situation.

* To say this year is going to be a grind is an understatement. It is not just a "grind" , but it likely a pure waste. We can't recruit anyone here, guys are going to get frustrated and leave and this coaching staff won't be here next year. Aside from that what's not to like?

* My god, how a college program in the ACC can't find one Jason Maile, one guy who can at least shoot. Parker Stewart would look pretty good right now. Hell, Ithiel Horton would look good. But this staff isn't going to recruit elite athletes, so why aren't they focusing what so many other schools do, recruit to shoot.

* I can't believe things got this bad. This is worse than the Stallings era because with Stallings we had no expectations, and actually rooted for losses to get him out of here as quickly as possible.

* I don't know what else to say. Good effort....just.....nothing there. I mean we are playing with Duquesne's roster.

Reactions: jctrack
BK would get imo fans hopeful and cautiously optimistic but our program is so bad now it's just a given we'll probably need 3-4 years to start making the NCAA Tournament. We're effectively starting over again next season. I think BK will be the next head coach.

I'd tell BK he is going to have to assemble the best staff in college basketball as a prerequisite. He'd need verbal agreements for at least 2 premier assistants. My problem with BK is he seemingly cannot even get a job as an Associate Head Coach at a P6 or a mid-major HC job and we want to trust him with elevating a dead program? If he didn't play here, we wouldn't be looking at the 2nd assistant for Rutgers.

Owt's double dribbles.

* First time in awhile I really felt bad for all involved with a loss: players, coaches, fans. They played hard all game. But.....

* We can't shoot, we can't win. We don't have any scorers aside from Hugely, and no one is going to shoot well enough to force the other team to worry about them defensively which will continue to pack the defense.

* I hate to say this, but seeing John play like that really gives me concern if he will be here next year or in a program that is in a much better situation.

* To say this year is going to be a grind is an understatement. It is not just a "grind" , but it likely a pure waste. We can't recruit anyone here, guys are going to get frustrated and leave and this coaching staff won't be here next year. Aside from that what's not to like?

* My god, how a college program in the ACC can't find one Jason Maile, one guy who can at least shoot. Parker Stewart would look pretty good right now. Hell, Ithiel Horton would look good. But this staff isn't going to recruit elite athletes, so why aren't they focusing what so many other schools do, recruit to shoot.

* I can't believe things got this bad. This is worse than the Stallings era because with Stallings we had no expectations, and actually rooted for losses to get him out of here as quickly as possible.

* I don't know what else to say. Good effort....just.....nothing there. I mean we are playing with Duquesne's roster.

You are "concerned" Hugley won't be here? Of course he won't. I consider him gone. If he comes back, I would consider it to be a great recruiting win for whoever the coach is

Other than a semi courtesy interview here has Knight even interviewed for another job?

I don’t know but if he hasn’t that isn’t the best sign. The only reason he even gets brought up is because he’s a “Pitt guy”. I don’t know if he’d be any good or not and I doubt anyone else does either. But if he’s good enough for a P6 job why haven’t any low or mid majors even approached him (if im correct about him not interviewing)?

Reactions: FireballZ
Other than a semi courtesy interview here has Knight even interviewed for another job?

I don’t know but if he hasn’t that isn’t the best sign. The only reason he even gets brought up is because he’s a “Pitt guy”. I don’t know if he’d be any good or not and I doubt anyone else does either. But if he’s good enough for a P6 job why haven’t any low or mid majors even approached him (if im correct about him not interviewing)?

This is my major concern. I also question how ambitious he is since he's almost 40 and not even the top assistant at a mid-level P6. He should be climbing the ladder.

This is my major concern. I also question how ambitious he is since he's almost 40 and not even the top assistant at a mid-level P6. He should be climbing the ladder.
Don’t know how much it transfers but from watching him play I have a hard time he lacks ambition. Things could change but he was pretty intense as a coach here as well so my guess is he has plenty of ambition. But unless someone wants someone they could have all the ambition in the world and it won’t matter much.

Owt's double dribbles.

Think as JC goes Hugley goes . ( stays /stays )

Owt's double dribbles.

I rarely agree with SMF but barring a miracle Hugley is gone. I go back as far as Billy Knight and coupling the current season and next season's prospects, I can honestly say this is the lowest spot as a fan I've ever been. When Capel runs out of rope, please hire Brandin. Please. A Pitt guy, one who helped the program out of the desert twenty years ago, and may actually bring back some enthusiasm. Faint praise indeed, but that's where I am. He can't do any worse.

Reactions: TWPitt
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT