ADVERTISEMENT

Mintz at summer hoops festival

In fairness, Mintz' post-visit quotes weren't super enthralled, either, and he committed a few weeks later. I don't think you can take too much away from a kid's quotes on paper either way, especially with basketball recruits who seem more reserved than football recruits generally speaking.

I think the biggest takeaway with using his quotes (and I usually take quotes with a grain of salt until kids start naming specific schools in a specific order with regard to officials), he actually said he was going to have a conversation with Mintz. That's telling enough in itself that he is heavily considering us. Getting on him early and getting him for an official visit early along with him having people close to him actually attend Pitt are little bonuses. We have a respectable chance here.

Further, Ryan Dunn from the NY Jayhawks is going to be heavily pursued by us and many others as his offer sheet has exploded. And I think we have a pretty good chance to get Dunn. And Dunn has been red hot in July with his play.

Shall the stars align, a trio of Mintz-Dunn-Barlow is a homerun class in November.

Reactions: Faix87
Shall the stars align, a trio of Mintz-Dunn-Barlow is a homerun class in November.
I 'm assuming Mintz is
the highest rated of the
three. If we got all three,
good. However a legit
big in the 6'9"-11" range
is IMO our greatest need.
Is Capel in on any bigs?
I don't mean offers, I mean
IN.....where we have a
realistic chance.

Reactions: rockypanther
I think the biggest takeaway with using his quotes (and I usually take quotes with a grain of salt until kids start naming specific schools in a specific order with regard to officials), he actually said he was going to have a conversation with Mintz. That's telling enough in itself that he is heavily considering us. Getting on him early and getting him for an official visit early along with him having people close to him actually attend Pitt are little bonuses. We have a respectable chance here.

Further, Ryan Dunn from the NY Jayhawks is going to be heavily pursued by us and many others as his offer sheet has exploded. And I think we have a pretty good chance to get Dunn. And Dunn has been red hot in July with his play.

Do you like dunn more than billups?

I 'm assuming Mintz is
the highest rated of the
three. If we got all three,
good. However a legit
big in the 6'9"-11" range
is IMO our greatest need.
Is Capel in on any bigs?
I don't mean offers, I mean
IN.....where we have a
realistic chance.

I agree a Center is the #1 priority " need" just to say that first. And Barlow is very much a power forward, but we could get away with him with "some" center use. He would be a small center, but capable. He's quite talented.

But if it was me, I would secure the absolute best players I can possibly get in November and focus on a true center later. That sounds like kicking the can down the road for our biggest need, but the 3 players I am talking about above are Top 100 caliber players, now. If Kansas offers Barlow, who know how high his ranking bump is going to be. Dunn has 10 Power 6 offers in the last 2 weeks a lone. There are going to be significant shifts in the rankings because of summer play. Remember, a lot of stuff has been canceled because of the coronavirus in the last year so exposure is way down . So there is going to be significant movement in the rankings after the big tournaments take place.

There are a lot of centers we have reached out. We are getting a strong look at Matt Filipowski on the NY Rens. He's a teammate of Barlow, he's been productive and scored it well in his limited time, we offered him very early, and looks to be a clean 6'11, maybe 7'0. Numbers are good in the EYBL, want to see him rebound better. He's got an Illinois offer and a recent offer from Rick Pitino. We are a player for him.

Jerome Beya is an option as he has visited multiple times in the past year. I think we have a chance with Beya. The biggest target without question is Amani Hansberry who is a major talent. He's a 2023 kid, not sure if can reclass, but we watched Team Durant under 16's a lot. . He has visited Pitt already, is the best big man on the entire big board, and will be a difficult get but the absolute best get. We have recruited Christ Essandoko, but I dont think he is going to be a realistic get. Shawn Phillips has been disappointing in this tournament and should see his ranking fall. Phillips has good offers, but he is more potential than legit Top 40. Mintz said he is recruiting Phillips. Phillips needs to play better.

Again, if it was me, I would wait out the center position longer and see who steps up in the coming weeks, maybe see who transfers at seasons end, or who can reclass. The NY Rens are filthy loaded and playing time opportunity limited, but Im interested in getting some more looks at Matt Filipowski at Peach Jam in his limited time. He could be a sneaky sleeper center if he plays strong to finish out. Im surprised he has not gotten more power 6 interest to this point. The Rick Pitino offer is a bit more telling some people are taking notice.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chescat
Do you like dunn more than billups?

I want Dunn over Billups.

And this is Dunn's latest 5 game session where he was flooded with power 6 offers.

Team Record- 4-1

15pts 13rbs 2ass 5-13 shooting, 3-6 3 ball 4TO

4pts, 4 rbs, 3 ass, 1-5 shooting shooting, 1-2 3 ball 4TO

7pts, 7 rbs,3 ass, 2 steal 2-5 shooting, 0-1 3 ball 3TO

13pts, 8 rbs, 5 ass, 2 steal 5-11 shooting, 3-5 3 ball 4TO

15pts , 5 rbs, 2ass 1 steal 7-11 shooting, 1-1 3 ball 0TO

Averages

10.8 ppg

7.4 rpg

2.8 apg

3 turnovers per game

1 steal per game

20-45 44.4% FG

8-14 3 ball, 57% 3 point shot

He is producing in all facets of the game while also bringing good defense on top of shooting well. Turnovers are a little high, but there is a lot to like here. Dunn is from Freeport, NY.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT