ADVERTISEMENT

Missed opportunity

cruzer

All Conference
Jul 27, 2001
It's really a bummer that Pitt couldn't find a way to pull that game out. It was there for the taking. Lot's of reasons why we didn't come out on top. The real bummer is that this loss represents another blown opportunity to actually make some noise on the national scene. #6 loses, #8 loses, so we could have moved up several notches (if not into the top 10). Instead, we'll fall back into the bottom of the top 25 (or possibly unranked) and will struggle to get back into the rankings. We just can't seem to get over the hump.

Cruzer

Reactions: KennyHeisman8
It's really a bummer that Pitt couldn't find a way to pull that game out. It was there for the taking. Lot's of reasons why we didn't come out on top. The real bummer is that this loss represents another blown opportunity to actually make some noise on the national scene. #6 loses, #8 loses, so we could have moved up several notches (if not into the top 10). Instead, we'll fall back into the bottom of the top 25 (or possibly unranked) and will struggle to get back into the rankings. We just can't seem to get over the hump.

Cruzer
Yep.

People are downplaying the loss, maybe as a coping mechanism, but this would have got you very possibly into the top 10 with a great chance to stay there and move up over the next two months. It brought in a very real possibility of being in the top 5 in October and November.

Instead...we lose, in large part due to an OC hire that is very quickly proving to be awful.

Everyone is falling over themselves to say this loss isn't a big deal...it is a huge deal especially since Tennessee tried to gift rap it for us and we did everything we could to not take advantage.

Pitt gets very few chances like this, and won't likely have another chance like this for awhile. Downplaying this loss as anything but crushing to the program is pretty confusing to me.

Cruzer
Boo hoo hoo hoo hoo.
Stop with the woe is me/Pitt.
Nothing is worse than self pity.
Nothing.
There are flaws but I love the way this team plays.

Boo hoo hoo hoo hoo.
Nothing.
Glad you love it. THey lost, and wrecked a chance at being extremely nationally relevant the next two months.

But yeah, be happy with your moral victory. This was a complete flop.

Reactions: Jim Z
Yep.

People are downplaying the loss, maybe as a coping mechanism, but this would have got you very possibly into the top 10 with a great chance to stay there and move up over the next two months. It brought in a very real possibility of being in the top 5 in October and November.

Instead...we lose, in large part due to an OC hire that is very quickly proving to be awful.

Everyone is falling over themselves to say this loss isn't a big deal...it is a huge deal especially since Tennessee tried to gift rap it for us and we did everything we could to not take advantage.

Pitt gets very few chances like this, and won't likely have another chance like this for awhile. Downplaying this loss as anything but crushing to the program is pretty confusing to me.
I don't think it's crushing at all. It's never good to lose, but it's not like Pitt is competing for a Natty.

Regardless of ranking, anybody with pulse can see Pitt isn't top 10 caliber. I don't know what good a top 5 ranking does anybody in October. Wasn't Iowa ranked #2 sometime in October last year?

There is a reason our entire OL returned for another year. In addition, our WRs just aren't very good, imo

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
Boo hoo hoo hoo hoo.
Nothing.
It's an observation douche bag. There's no expression of self pity. It's simply a missed opportunity gain stature for the program. Feel free to disagree. Sounds like you love being irrelevant.

Reactions: FireballZ
It totally was a missed opp, and it’s a shame. The thread from the previous week laid out why. We had so many positives come together this season and needed to take full advantage. Alabama or Ohio State can lose 1, 2, maybe even 3 games and hang around the top ten.

We have seen we can’t even afford to lose even one to stay in the national conversation. Next week we’ll be buried in the mid 20s at best, and another slip will have us totally out, and likely in the 40’s or 50s. Even a long W streak will likely still find us mired in the high teens at best. Last night was indeed unfortunate.

It’s true that the ACC still is in play, but most fans correctly wanted to move beyond that this year. That’s gone.

We coulda, shoulda won. make one more FG and maybe that's the difference. Not get our QB injured, maybe that's the difference. The game was basically a toss up and very even.

It totally was a missed opp, and it’s a shame. The thread from the previous week laid out why. We had so many positives come together this season and needed to take full advantage. Alabama or Ohio State can lose 1, 2, maybe even 3 games and hang around the top ten.

We have seen we can’t even afford to lose even one to stay in the national conversation. Next week we’ll be buried in the mid 20s at best, and another slip will have us totally out, and likely in the 40’s or 50s. Even a long W streak will likely still find us mired in the high teens at best. Last night was indeed unfortunate.

It’s true that the ACC still is in play, but most fans correctly wanted to move beyond that this year. That’s gone.
That luxury isn't really given until you win a Natty, or been in multiple playoffs legitimately competing for one.

Pitt, rightfully isn't in that conversation and they don't have the roster to do anything about it.

That luxury isn't really given until you win a Natty, or been in multiple playoffs legitimately competing for one.

Pitt, rightfully isn't in that conversation and they don't have the roster to do anything about it.
How recently do you have to win a natty? Teams like USC, psu, Arkansas, Florida Texas Miami and others haven’t done anything in years, yet they constantly get ranked high for no real reason other than name recognition. Hell even Tennessee they couldn’t wait to move up to the top 15 yet when we beat them last year and come off a title we are at 19 start and then almost knocked out.

it really illustrated why when you’re Pitt you have to jump on these situations.

I guess the good news is that there's no pressure to win the next game since the season is shot. Team should play loose now.

Reactions: Saboteur II
I guess the good news is that there's no pressure to win the next game since the season is shot. Team should play loose now.
If you are going to feel sorry for yourself, this is the logical conclusion.

Reactions: BPKY
We had a backup QB on one leg. Was I the only one here entertaining going for two when we scored late to try and win it, instead of playing for OT???

Reactions: MarshallGoldberg
How recently do you have to win a natty? Teams like USC, psu, Arkansas, Florida Texas Miami and others haven’t done anything in years, yet they constantly get ranked high for no real reason other than name recognition. Hell even Tennessee they couldn’t wait to move up to the top 15 yet when we beat them last year and come off a title we are at 19 start and then almost knocked out.

it really illustrated why when you’re Pitt you have to jump on these situations.
I don't know. None of it makes any sense and exactly the reason people don't take rankings seriously.

The only ranking that matters are the playoff committee's 1-4 on selection day. There is no purpose for anything else.

I don't know. None of it makes any sense and exactly the reason people don't take rankings seriously.

The only ranking that matters are the playoff committee's 1-4 on selection day. There is no purpose for anything else.
You’re really kind of filling yourself if you think people don’t care about the rankings

You’re really kind of filling yourself if you think people don’t care about the rankings
Not saying they don't. I'm just saying that anyone that follows the sport realize how screwed up the polls are.

As for Pitt, and I'm totally spitballing here, perhaps some voters are taking into account the team Pitt is rolling out there with the injuries. I have no clue. They are totally subjective. I think they're outdated and have outlived their purpose, imo. They are just something else in a long list of crazy ass stuff about college football that makes zero sense.

Reactions: BFo8

ND just lost to Marshall, WVU's little brother, but of course the poll voters are thinking up excuses as we speak to KEEP THEM HIGH IN THE RANKINGS, all because of Knute Rockne, The Gipper and Rudy :)

Cruzer
Good God stop.

I wouldnt have gone for two. Tie and up and rely on your defense who was playing lights out in the second half.

Pitt easily could have and perhaps should have won the game. However it's obvious that the OL isn't a big team strength like they were advertised to be. Watching them get over powered in both game this year makes you realize how much Kenny's mobility and ability to make plays on the run hid their deficiencies.

I'm happy that the team is still ranked despite the loss. Honestly that's progress for Pitt. An overtime loss to a good Tennessee team is disappointing but Pitt can still have a good season.

Why? It's just an observation. Do you disagree that this was another missed opportunity to be relevant on the national stage?
Yes, I disagree. Beating UT would have moved us up a notch or two. That’s it. Win the games we should the rest of the way and the loss would have zero meaning.

Reactions: 4Mark_Marty
We had a backup QB on one leg. Was I the only one here entertaining going for two when we scored late to try and win it, instead of playing for OT???

No, I think that would have been the right move.

I didn't like our chances in OT given how hobbled we were. I thought they should have tried everything to win when the chance was available.

Yes, I disagree. Beating UT would have moved us up a notch or two. That’s it. Win the games we should the rest of the way and the loss would have zero meaning.
Well, I agree that we would have moved up a few spots this week. The big loss is that we should be able to win the next 4 games. If we were 6-0 going into the 7th game, we would almost certainly be ranked in the top 10. We'd have been at least in the discussion about the CFP. A one loss Pitt team is out of that conversation. That's the point.

Well, I agree that we would have moved up a few spots this week. The big loss is that we should be able to win the next 4 games. If we were 6-0 going into the 7th game, we would almost certainly be ranked in the top 10. We'd have been at least in the discussion about the CFP. A one loss Pitt team is out of that conversation. That's the point.
So your threshold was the CFP this year? No Kenny. No Jordan. Wow.

So your threshold was the CFP this year? No Kenny. No Jordan. Wow.
I didn't say that we'd be in the CFP this year. Read what I actually wrote above. I said that if we were standing at 6-0 we would be part of the conversation. I have no expectation that we would go undefeated for the season.

I didn't say that we'd be in the CFP this year. Read what I actually wrote above. I said that if we were standing at 6-0 we would be part of the conversation. I have no expectation that we would go undefeated for the season.
I'm not sure what is so hard to understand about this. No, I don't think they make the playoffs...yes, being in the discussion and top ten has huge value even if you eventually go 10-2 after starting 6-0.

Not the end of the world. Disappointing sure, but Tennessee was probably a better team to begin with and definitely better with Pitt playing a backup QB. It happens. Did people think we were contending for a National Championship this year? Go win the next one.

Yeah, but who was expecting 6-0? I think most sane people were hoping for a 5-1 start. Just because we beat WVU doesn't mean anything other than 6-0 is disappointing.

Now you gotta string some wins together.

You need to sign up for Pittsburgh Ballet Theater because your dancing back and forth on your intent is quite amazing.

No dancing here. I definitely was confident in an undefeated run (up to the Miami game, anyway), if not exactly assuming it. If not this season, then probably never, given the sea changes that are occurring in College Football.

If a bunch of gibrone like Cincinnati can do it last year, then it’s reasonable to hope for it from a team like ours that had more ‘stars’ talent wise than their squad, and many unusual (perceived) advantages that came together this season.

Tennessee was the big early what if, just like Cincy had with Notre Dame last year. They got by ND, we couldn’t get past TN. Otherwise many other similarities in the quality of other opponents (aka, not much) leading into the Miami game. The good guys tried hard, but the heavens weren’t aligned.

Of course, a long run this was my anticipation (again, different than expectation) in the off season. I’ll now admit that after seeing the team in a couple games, esp the disappointing OL, and the dull, uninspired offensive scheme (I should have remembered that Cig is closer to Steve Watson than Canada or even Whip), my preseason optimism was over-wrought (and this was before the QB injuries).

We’re likely looking at our usual 7 win sludge fest now. Maybe worse, depending on QB health. Every game will be a grim struggle. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss. But it was perfectly legit at the time to anticipate something better, when everything was strictly on paper.

Last edited:
No dancing here. I definitely was confident in an undefeated run (up to the Miami game, anyway), if not exactly assuming it. If not this season, then probably never, given the sea changes that are occurring in College Football.

If a bunch of gibrone like Cincinnati can do it last year, then it’s reasonable to hope for it from a team like ours that had more ‘stars’ talent wise than their squad, and many unusual (perceived) advantages that came together this season.

Tennessee was the big early what if, just like Cincy had with Notre Dame last year. They got by ND, we couldn’t get past TN. Otherwise many other similarities in the quality of other opponents (aka, not much) leading into the Miami game. The good guys tried hard, but the heavens weren’t aligned.

Of course, a long run this was my anticipation (again, different than expectation) in the off season. I’ll now admit that after seeing the team in a couple games, esp the disappointing OL, and the dull, uninspired offensive scheme (I should have remembered that Cig is closer to Steve Watson than Canada or even Whip), my preseason optimism was over-wrought (and this was before the QB injuries).

We’re likely looking at our usual 7 win sludge fest now. Maybe worse, depending on QB health. Every game will be a grim struggle. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss. But it was perfectly legit at the time to anticipate something better, when everything was strictly on paper.
I bought in to the hype when a USC product transferred. Then when Addison left it seemed less likely we would be the same offense. So I backed way back from thinking this team could be better than last year’s team. Though i had hoped for a different outcome against UT it wasn’t surprising we lost and frankly what you might expect from a team that isn’t as good as last year’s. Those that thought we would be in the CFP discussion or that this loss is the end of the world simply cannot logically justify those thoughts with any sense of reality.

This team was never going to be as good as last year’s team just in paper. So why did any of you expect better results than last year?

Yeah, but who was expecting 6-0? I think most sane people were hoping for a 5-1 start. Just because we beat WVU doesn't mean anything other than 6-0 is disappointing.

Now you gotta string some wins together.
Yep I had them at 9-3 with losses to tn,nc and Miami. If they go into Miami with a chance to win the coastal that's a good season if they win it it's a very good season. Find a way to win the acc and it's a great season.

Yep.

To me it's not downplaying the loss it sucks and they had a chance to win and really be in the national conversation. But to me it's just being realistic. They played without their two starting tackles, a good backup RB and half without their starting QB. They were in a hole down 7 in that half and found a way to get it to overtime. Would a win have been great yes, but very few teams win that game in those circumstances so I am not going to bitch about the coaches or players.

Last year after week 3 we were 2-1 with a home loss to a MAC team and 1 P5 victory and not in the top 25. We ended up with our best season in 40 years.

If we win this week we will be 2-1 with 1 P5 victory and an OT loss to a P5 team likely to be 3-0 and in the top 25.

There is a lot of season left but we will be in better shape than we were last year at this time. The season is not lost.

The loss to Tennessee won't be nearly as damaging as any other loss from here on out. That's a decent, second tier, SEC team. Not great but pretty far from bad.

Right now, Pitt is pretty beat up. Get through the next several games with whatever it takes to win, and hopefully come out of the bye week ready for the home stretch. The two games that worry me the most are UNC (because Pitt always struggles down there) and Miami (because, Miami).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT