ADVERTISEMENT

MLS in the Super Cup?

Fk_Pitt

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2007
I think I posted about this possibility before, but it’s gaining steam it seems. The preseason Super Cup match that pits the UCL winner vs Europa League winner is being expanded and it looks like it could be an annual 4 team mini tourney in the US and include the MLS champ.

funny how MLS has won concacaf champions league only once (this year) and they will get an annual seat at the table for this trophy. Money talks and the American market is coveted.

not that the Super Cup is anything more than a glorified exhibition anyways.

It’s good business and UEFA is thinking outside the box. This is why Brit’s slamming Todd Boehly was so stupid. The guy wants to make money just as UEFA does.

take the Community Shield in England for example. It’s the annual match played between the premier league champ and the FA Cup champ. All that is is a glorified exhibition too. How much money does that make? It can be easily replaced with an all star celebration and generate millions.

Brilliant. Put MLS on notice, get better, improve your game, and prove yourself against the best clubs. This is exactly what MLS needs to make a statement on quality of club play and where it sits in the grand scheme of global club soccer.

I'd rather see a Super League of teams from the financially struggling southern European leagues plus MLS, La Liga, South America

Real Madrid
Barcelona
Atletico Madrid
Juventus
AC Milan
Inter Milan
Roma
PSG
Olympiacos
Panathinakios
Fenerbahce
Saudi team
Qatar team
Dubai team
5 American teams who would leave MLS
2-3 Mexican teams
A few South American teams

I'm talking these teams leaving their domestic leagues altogether to form a league whose TV deal could potentially rival the EPL's so they could compete with them to be the #1 league

I'd rather see a Super League of teams from the financially struggling southern European leagues plus MLS, La Liga, South America

Real Madrid
Barcelona
Atletico Madrid
Juventus
AC Milan
Inter Milan
Roma
PSG
Olympiacos
Panathinakios
Fenerbahce
Saudi team
Qatar team
Dubai team
5 American teams who would leave MLS
2-3 Mexican teams
A few South American teams

I'm talking these teams leaving their domestic leagues altogether to form a league whose TV deal could potentially rival the EPL's so they could compete with them to be the #1 league
Wait. You’re certainly not saying Real Madrid and PSG are struggling financially? Lol.

ADVERTISEMENT