ADVERTISEMENT

MLS not participating in the US Open Cup

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Sending its MLS Next Pro teams instead. This is done but was brought upon by the new Leagues Cup meaning there's simply too many games.

If you ask me, I think the Leagues Cup needs to drop the Group Stage and just do a 6 round single game elimination tournament. Like Wed-Sat-Wed-Sat-Wed-Sat done. 6 games in 17-18 days for 2 of the teams. Once the field is whitted to a Round of 16, have MLS (and Liga MX) resume with the eliminated teams. But keep playing in the FA Cup. Send your bench players and MLS Next Pro players for the 1st few rounds but have your best available for the quarters, semis, and finals.

MLS is so terrible. This is highly annoying, but nothing like a 2nd rate pro division making demands and rules. MLS cup winner would be nothing more than a mid table outfit in the Championship. No wonder why they're epic failures in Concacaf Champions League 90% of the time.

When I mentioned this in a thread the other other day, I thought about sharing this stupid riverhounds tweet but decided not to at the time. So I’ll post it now.

Reactions: Allan McMurray
This is the difference between just about every other soccer playing nation and this one. MLS is such a joke.

This is the difference between just about every other soccer playing nation and this one. MLS is such a joke.

Which is why some folks in the USL believe they can overtake MLS with promotion/relegation and more interested markets (like 60 teams across 3 divisions). Plus their games will be on TV. National and local. MLS games are not. A casual fan like Pitt79 can no longer watch his DC United play. And that is ridiculously stupid.

MLS is so terrible. This is highly annoying, but nothing like a 2nd rate pro division making demands and rules. MLS cup winner would be nothing more than a mid table outfit in the Championship. No wonder why they're epic failures in Concacaf Champions League 90% of the time.

I like the Leagues Cup but this cant be an either/or thing. There's no reason they cant send reserve squads for the early rounds like teams do in every country and then play the 1st teams for the later rounds. An MLS team playing in a USL city is great for soccer in this country. Does it solve everything? Of course not. But having soccer take center stage for a night in Pgh, Milwaukee, Omaha, etc is a good thing.

I like the Leagues Cup but this cant be an either/or thing. There's no reason they cant send reserve squads for the early rounds like teams do in every country and then play the 1st teams for the later rounds. An MLS team playing in a USL city is great for soccer in this country. Does it solve everything? Of course not. But having soccer take center stage for a night in Pgh, Milwaukee, Omaha, etc is a good thing.
Which is why some folks in the USL believe they can overtake MLS with promotion/relegation and more interested markets (like 60 teams across 3 divisions). Plus their games will be on TV. National and local. MLS games are not. A casual fan like Pitt79 can no longer watch his DC United play. And that is ridiculously stupid.
It's all about money and greed. MLS is a pure monopoly. This dunce Don Garber gets to pick and choose who is in and who is out. And of course the arrogance. In reality the US Open Cup should bar all MLS and MLS affiliated teams from the competition. Would like to see USL go pro-rel to see how it works.

Great point about playing the junior squads. 2nd team players get the majority of the run in the early rounds of the EFL Cup and especially the FA Cup. No reason it's can't happen here.

Seems delusional, just like the new NASL but hey good for them.

I just hope USL doesn't get taken down the way the new NASL did, it currently functions well as a minor league.

The Columbus game was a lot of fun but that was far from their best team. For a lot of fans just seeing the name of an MLS team was a draw, even if the team wasn't MLS quality.

Sending its MLS Next Pro teams instead.

For the record, US Soccer has pointed out to MLS that they are not allowed to do this, that they are required to participate in all US Soccer competitions.

The USSF professional league standards state, "U.S.-based teams must participate in all representative U.S. Soccer and CONCACAF competitions for which they are eligible."

Reactions: brdst11
For the record, US Soccer has pointed out to MLS that they are not allowed to do this, that they are required to participate in all US Soccer competitions.

The USSF professional league standards state, "U.S.-based teams must participate in all representative U.S. Soccer and CONCACAF competitions for which they are eligible."

That is good news BUT MLS can still send its Next Pro teams and call them their A team. The way these tournaments usually work is you name a roster....any roster. They can simply name all their Next Pro players and leave guys like Messi off.

That is good news BUT MLS can still send its Next Pro teams and call them their A team. The way these tournaments usually work is you name a roster....any roster. They can simply name all their Next Pro players and leave guys like Messi off.

No, they can't do that.

You understand that MLS teams have all sorts of roster restrictions, right? And with it being a very tightly controlled salary cap league that they can't just add anyone they want at any time to the roster of the main team, right?

Yeah, I didn't think so.

No, they can't do that.

You understand that MLS teams have all sorts of roster restrictions, right? And with it being a very tightly controlled salary cap league that they can't just add anyone they want at any time to the roster of the main team, right?

Yeah, I didn't think so.

The US Open Cup isnt MLS. They can add me to the US Open Cup roster if they wanted to. Like any cup competition, you submit a roster of players, any players. Its why you see Reserve team players play in the FA Cup. Julian Green used to play for Bayern in their cup competition before ever making the 1st team roster.

The US Open Cup isnt MLS. They can add me to the US Open Cup roster if they wanted to. Like any cup competition, you submit a roster of players, any players. Its why you see Reserve team players play in the FA Cup. Julian Green used to play for Bayern in their cup competition before ever making the 1st team roster.

MLS reserve players are only allowed to play a limited number of games with the big club, and that includes all competitions including the Open Cup, before they are considered full members of the roster and must be accounted for on a team's salary cap.

And yes, an MLS team could add you to their Open Cup roster. As long as they sign you to a contract for the league minimum and account for you on their salary cap. Just like any other player.

MLS reserve players are only allowed to play a limited number of games with the big club, and that includes all competitions including the Open Cup, before they are considered full members of the roster and must be accounted for on a team's salary cap.

So I was right as always. These MLS teams are only going to play a few Open Cup games. Some will be 1 and done. They can put them on their Open Cup roster.

So I was right as always. These MLS teams are only going to play a few Open Cup games. Some will be 1 and done. They can put them on their Open Cup roster.

Only you can absolutely have no idea how something works, get it all wrong, and then claim that you were right.

If that was all the MLS teams needed to do, why do you suppose they announced that they were not sending their big clubs to the Open Cup, that they were only sending their reserve teams? If that was all they needed to do, and that is clearly what they want to do, why didn't they just do it?

Only you would not be able to recognize that they didn't just do that because the CAN'T just do that.

Only you can absolutely have no idea how something works, get it all wrong, and then claim that you were right.

If that was all the MLS teams needed to do, why do you suppose they announced that they were not sending their big clubs to the Open Cup, that they were only sending their reserve teams? If that was all they needed to do, and that is clearly what they want to do, why didn't they just do it?

Only you would not be able to recognize that they didn't just do that because the CAN'T just do that.

Why? Because they dont want USL teams beating a team called LAFC, but with LAFC2 players. They want the team to be called LAFC 2 so everyone knows the USL team beat a true reserve side.

Why? Because they dont want USL teams beating a team called LAFC, but with LAFC2 players. They want the team to be called LAFC 2 so everyone knows the USL team beat a true reserve side.

If they don't care enough to play at least some of their best players and try to win the game they obviously don't care if they win or lose.

How much more stuff are you going to throw against the wall in the hope that eventually something at least sorta, kinda, but not really, sticks?

If they don't care enough to play at least some of their best players and try to win the game they obviously don't care if they win or lose.

How much more stuff are you going to throw against the wall in the hope that eventually something at least sorta, kinda, but not really, sticks?

Yea, they dont care if they win or lose. They just dont want to give the USL teams the satisfaction of beating their fake A squad and they don't want the bad pub. So they want the score to be

Riverhounds 2
Crew2 1

Not

Riverhounds 2
Crew 1

Yea, they dont care if they win or lose. They just dont want to give the USL teams the satisfaction of beating their fake A squad and they don't want the bad pub. So they want the score to be

Riverhounds 2
Crew2 1

Not

Riverhounds 2
Crew 1

In your first sentence you say that they don't care, and then in your second sentence you say that they do.

How about this. When you are done arguing with yourself and you figure out what you actually think, get back to me and we can have a discussion about this.

In your first sentence you say that they don't care, and then in your second sentence you say that they do.

How about this. When you are done arguing with yourself and you figure out what you actually think, get back to me and we can have a discussion about this.

They dont care if they lose because they dont want to be in it. But they want their losses attributed to their Next Pro teams instead of their A teams with Next Pro players playing. This is for appearance purposes. I dont know why this is so hard for you. MLS is done with the US Open Cup. If they are forced to participate, they will have their Next Pro players as "A team" players and lose and that will not look good for them.

They dont care if they lose because they dont want to be in it. But they want their losses attributed to their Next Pro teams instead of their A teams with Next Pro players playing. This is for appearance purposes. I dont know why this is so hard for you. MLS is done with the US Open Cup. If they are forced to participate, they will have their Next Pro players as "A team" players and lose and that will not look good for them.

Once again, your first sentence says that they don't care and then your second one says that they do.

Do you really not understand that saying "they want their losses attributed to their Next Pro team instead of their A teams" and "this is for appearance purposes" are actually examples of them caring? If they actually didn't care they wouldn't give a damn who any losses were attributed to, they wouldn't care about the appearances, they wouldn't care if it gave the USL teams something to brag about, none of that. Because they wouldn't care.

I don't know why this is so hard for you. If you want to argue that they don't care you can't do it by saying "they don't care, except for this and this and the other."

Once again, your first sentence says that they don't care and then your second one says that they do.

Do you really not understand that saying "they want their losses attributed to their Next Pro team instead of their A teams" and "this is for appearance purposes" are actually examples of them caring? If they actually didn't care they wouldn't give a damn who any losses were attributed to, they wouldn't care about the appearances, they wouldn't care if it gave the USL teams something to brag about, none of that. Because they wouldn't care.

I don't know why this is so hard for you. If you want to argue that they don't care you can't do it by saying "they don't care, except for this and this and the other."

Would this make you happier?

It doesn't matter to MLS teams if they advance/win the US Open Cup. However, they do not want the bad appearance of their A teams (but with Next Pro players) losing to USL sides. They do care about the bad pub. Its not the losing/being eliminated part that they care about. Its the bad pub that comes with it. If you want to translate that as them caring about the US Open Cup, fine.

Would this make you happier?

It doesn't matter to MLS teams if they advance/win the US Open Cup. However, they do not want the bad appearance of their A teams (but with Next Pro players) losing to USL sides. They do care about the bad pub. Its not the losing/being eliminated part that they care about. Its the bad pub that comes with it. If you want to translate that as them caring about the US Open Cup, fine.

Which gets us right back to the beginning, which is that if they care, and you think that that do, they should just play their players and win the game, and then they won't have anything to worry about.

Which gets us right back to the beginning, which is that if they care, and you think that that do, they should just play their players and win the game, and then they won't have anything to worry about.

Yes, they should. But they want it both ways. They want to have their A team players skip but also not give the appearance that their A teams are losing to USL sides.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT