ADVERTISEMENT

Moe-bservations

Chairman Moe

All Conference
Nov 4, 2003
Just around the corner from Paradise
-- I had some errands to run today, so I wasn't able to watch it "live". Thanks youtubetv for recording it

-- I entered the broadcast at 6-2 Pitt; first media timeout, and had to painfully watch the 20-5 scoring run by the Hurricanes, but the made 3 at the end of the half gave me encouragement

-- Fast forward (my comments, not the broadcast) to when we were down 64-60 and missed the three; Miami scored twice and I thought, it's not over

-- Final 4 minutes was electrifying! The Zoo was lit up! Felt like we were watching the Panthers pre-Stallings, and the energy was back. Kudos to the students for not giving up

-- Amazing defense at the end; clutch 3 from Blake; Elliot more than made up for his gaffe by playing incredible D on the inbounds pass, and then calmly sunk the 2 FT's that put us up by 3 with 2.5 to play

-- Great presence by Capel to call the TO to set the defense on the 'Canes last possession; ball game

-- Definitely, Pitt showed their maturity at the end, and Fede was equally impressive down the stretch

-- Huge win! We still have 9 more conference games, but the momentum from this win will surely carry over

-- Most excited I've been watching Pitt BB in a long, long time ... keep it going Panthers!!

I was feeling kind of bad for the team in the second half because it was playing well and making repeated runs, just to see Miami hit some insane dagger (or what should have been daggers) to go back up comfortably, despite pretty good defense much of the time. But the last 2-3 min we finally got the stops, big shots, overcame some bizarre things (the errant inbound pass made me upchuck in my mouth a bit) and the team came through. Good feeling.

Great post, Moe! The only thing I might disagree with is the timeout by Capel to set up his defense. I remember when Jamie did that against Syracuse and Tyler Ennis hit a buzzer beating 3 to win it. I think Syracuse had 4.1 seconds, but they were out of timeouts, similar to Miami today. Would have rather not given Larranaga a chance to draw up a play, cause he's a hell of a coach.

Great post, Moe! The only thing I might disagree with is the timeout by Capel to set up his defense. I remember when Jamie did that against Syracuse and Tyler Ennis hit a buzzer beating 3 to win it. I think Syracuse had 4.1 seconds, but they were out of timeouts, similar to Miami today. Would have rather not given Larranaga a chance to draw up a play, cause he's a hell of a coach.
True, but I also remember the Elite Eight game vs Villanova and Scottie f*ing Reynolds going coast to coast. The TO made sense

4.1 seconds is a lot different from 2.5 seconds

Reactions: mike412
Truth. An extra second and a half and Wong's shot is from much closer to the arc than the half court stripe
2.5 seconds is still plenty of time to get a decent shot off. The Miami inbounder was basically falling over when he threw the ball in. You gotta get the ball to half court off the inbounds pass to even have a chance.

2.5 seconds is still plenty of time to get a decent shot off. The Miami inbounder was basically falling over when he threw the ball in. You gotta get the ball to half court off the inbounds pass to even have a chance.
Yup, and as it was his shot did hit the front of the rim ... barely ... glad there were only 2.5 seconds, and glad it was closely contested. I've seen two to many other last second buzzer beaters

I thought Pitt should have fouled him.

Though the better strategy would have actually to have missed the second free throw.
I like the foul also, but it can get tricky because the offense knows its coming and are just gonna throw something towards the basket and now you've got 3 free throws to tie.

-- I had some errands to run today, so I wasn't able to watch it "live". Thanks youtubetv for recording it

-- I entered the broadcast at 6-2 Pitt; first media timeout, and had to painfully watch the 20-5 scoring run by the Hurricanes, but the made 3 at the end of the half gave me encouragement

-- Fast forward (my comments, not the broadcast) to when we were down 64-60 and missed the three; Miami scored twice and I thought, it's not over

-- Final 4 minutes was electrifying! The Zoo was lit up! Felt like we were watching the Panthers pre-Stallings, and the energy was back. Kudos to the students for not giving up

-- Amazing defense at the end; clutch 3 from Blake; Elliot more than made up for his gaffe by playing incredible D on the inbounds pass, and then calmly sunk the 2 FT's that put us up by 3 with 2.5 to play

-- Great presence by Capel to call the TO to set the defense on the 'Canes last possession; ball game

-- Definitely, Pitt showed their maturity at the end, and Fede was equally impressive down the stretch

-- Huge win! We still have 9 more conference games, but the momentum from this win will surely carry over

-- Most excited I've been watching Pitt BB in a long, long time ... keep it going Panthers!!
I watched the last 5 minutes of the game about 5 times yesterday !

I thought Pitt should have fouled him.

Though the better strategy would have actually to have missed the second free throw.
Yeah - thought missing the 2nd FT is probably the best strategy- but can certainly imagine not deliberately missing to give the other team a theoretical chance to win .

Reactions: Haydman
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT