ADVERTISEMENT

Article Morrissey out after surgery on ankle

I don't know about you, but it is fun winning. Let's hope they have a suitable backup because their starting center is out for the rest of this season.
they ran a play...a guy got hurt...play type irrelevant in injury...play type not irrelevant in giving a kid a shot at some rare for his position personal glory during an in the bag WIN which sounds like maximized fun to me...

It was an unfortunate thing. Bad things can happen when playing a violent sport. No need to overanalyze the play.

This. It’s Football a physical sport where guys can get hurt on just about any play. Hell Wriginis got hurt in practice with no contact.

And how do you think those two players feel? I'm pretty sure he feels some remorse for his teammate's injury. Players do care for one another. Hey, argue all you want. I would not have called it and I'm sure those of you arguing will be the first ones on here bitching if they lose their next three games because of it.

they ran a play...a guy got hurt...play type irrelevant in injury...play type not irrelevant in giving a kid a shot at some rare for his position personal glory during an in the bag WIN which sounds like maximized fun to me...

And how do you think those two players feel? I'm pretty sure he feels some remorse for his teammate's injury. Players do care for one another. Hey, argue all you want. I would not have called it and I'm sure those of you arguing will be the first ones on here bitching if they lose their next three games because of it.

remorse: deep regret or guilt for a wrong committed... seriously?

if they lose their next three games because of it...once again, huh? the call did not cause the freaking injury (I've only seen about 40 guys get rolled up on during simple end zone dive plays through the years)...playing the game of football did.......geez...

whether or not you would have called it is irrelevant on a post about the injury...had the kid not gotten hurt I'm guessing you would have not said boo about the play call...

Last edited:
There's nothing wrong with the play. My God, Morrissey had to go a long way to even be over there to block. Pretty athletic play, actually.

Pitt has been very lucky with injuries this season. Especially on offense. This one sucks the most because Morrissey was playing so well and it's not an easy position to just plug someone into.

Reactions: MarshallGoldberg
His linemate got blocked into him by a defender after the TD and flew into the back of his leg. Unfortunate. People get injured playing the game.

Yeah, its not like you may need that play down the road when you may be behind and need it to win. Now its on film and everyone we play from here on out knows it. You keep those plays until you absolutely need them. It was really dumb because the win was pretty much sealed without it and you just got your starting center hurt and Pitt was moving the ball well enough playing straight up. I can tell you never think before you do anything.

Your starting center (or any player) can get hurt on a simple dive play. It's football -- it was an injury that could happen to a lineman on any play -- guys legs get rolled up on. Period. Relating the playcall to this just looks a little foolish IMO. And it's not like they only have ONE "gadget" play in their playbook -- this is D1 football.

Your starting center (or any player) can get hurt on a simple dive play. It's football -- it was an injury that could happen to a lineman on any play -- guys legs get rolled up on. Period. Relating the playcall to this just looks a little foolish IMO. And it's not like they only have ONE "gadget" play in their playbook -- this is D1 football.

Actually it’s more likely to get rolled up on and inside hand off than on that play. To suggest that the play call had anything to do with is is silly

Besides. Morrissey is no big loss. He’s just a walk-on and not a four star recruit

There's nothing wrong with the play. My God, Morrissey had to go a long way to even be over there to block. Pretty athletic play, actually.

Pitt has been very lucky with injuries this season. Especially on offense. This one sucks the most because Morrissey was playing so well and it's not an easy position to just plug someone into.
The irony of this is you continually bash the staff for lack of high level recruits, but the injury to our walk-on Center could be most detrimental. The same applies to George Aston.

The flip side to showing that play in last week's game is that (1) Miami, Clemson and bowl opponent DCs now have to study it, school or practice their Ds how to detect it and stuff it, etc. Takes time from prep for our other regular plays. (2) Pitt can now show the formation, raise the shackles of the opponent but then run something different from it.

If they are smart and the right situation arises in the next three games they run the exact same action on a play, and when the defense starts to flow that way expecting a throwback to a lineman Pickett either runs the ball himself in the opposite direction or throws to a tight end or to Aston when the linebacker who is supposed to be covering them gets caught looking for a play that isn't coming.

If they are smart and the right situation arises in the next three games they run the exact same action on a play, and when the defense starts to flow that way expecting a throwback to a lineman Pickett either runs the ball himself in the opposite direction or throws to a tight end or to Aston when the linebacker who is supposed to be covering them gets caught looking for a play that isn't coming.

Yup you force them to game plan for it and it allows you to set up something else off of it. Also the score did seal the win. As we know Pitt has blown 14 point leads in the past

Yes, they run their fakes, but a good linebacker and line are taught to make their reads. If they make their reads, the fakes will have absolutely no effect. This is D1 football, not high school. To get to this level, a linebacker has to know how to make their reads. The QB, FB, TB can do whatever they want, the way the line blocks takes you right to the ball. There are so many different formations, plays, and philosophies that you cannot say that EVERY play is built on deception.
A straight dive from a split or single back formation, or a power from the I or maybe a power I, pitches, sweeps, and many other running plays there is absolutely NO deception. The back that does not get the ball usually is the lead blocker. Yes, you may have the QB run a fake after the handoff, but sometimes that is to keep the end honest and there are times they run that to see exactly what the end will do in that situation. If the end crashes in, then the next time they run that play from that formation the QB may just keep it. Most of the time one play sets up another. Now on counters or cross bucks and plays of that nature where the back may start one way and then run towards the hole or when two backs go different directions, then yes there is deception.

There are so many plays that are not built on deception, but outnumbering the defense or just overpowering them. Our front seven is going to line up and beat YOUR front seven. It is foolish to say every play is built on deception. How deceiving is a QB sneak on very short yardage?

Now, running a play action is VERY deceiving and almost always works. I am a huge fan on play action near the goal line on 1st and 2nd down.

Any good oc worth his salt has deception built in at every level unless he's got an all star game.

When you say this D1 and LBs make their reads I have to ask you this - why have so many kids been busts at LB for Pitt say since the Harris years?

When you say "sweep" what do you mean? Do you mean jet or fly sweep? Do you mean buck sweep? Explain..

I'm talking just running plays from running formations. If you look at single back sets or I formation, there is absolutely no deception built into it. Not every coach is like that and not every play or formation calls for it. You may not want to believe this, but some plays are as simple as the line making a hole and the running back finding it. Watch the games, watch Alabama.

Any good oc worth his salt has deception built in at every level unless he's got an all star game.

When you say this D1 and LBs make their reads I have to ask you this - why have so many kids been busts at LB for Pitt say since the Harris years?

When you say "sweep" what do you mean? Do you mean jet or fly sweep? Do you mean buck sweep? Explain..

Last edited:
You can't coach, prepare, and play every game around blowing 14 point leads in the past. NO coach thinks about that. Not one. This is a play that probably gets a couple of reps in practice but does not get a lot of them. Pitt was up by 14 points right? What would YOU and some of the others on here have done if the ball was dropped or the pass was bad? If the pass is backwards and the receiver drops it then the defense picks it up and runs it in for a touchdown. Now you have a one possession game. You coach to win the game and if what you are doing is working then you keep doing it, you don't get cute.

Yup you force them to game plan for it and it allows you to set up something else off of it. Also the score did seal the win. As we know Pitt has blown 14 point leads in the past

Wow, some of you just love to argue. Hey, it was just my opinion. You don’t run a play like that unless it is an emergency. Years of coaching I have seen that play blow up as much as I’ve seen it work. It is a play that may get a few reps, but not very many and too many things can go wrong. If the pass is backwards and the receiver drops it or it is a bad pass altogether, the defense can return it for a touchdown and all of the sudden it is a one possession game. You have someone who never runs or catches the ball which makes fumbling or dropping it more likely. You never think of injury but in this particular case an important part of your offensive line was lost for the season. But I guess since he is just a walk on I guess it is no loss. The play was successful, but it was not needed and the end result was your center is gone for the next three games.

You have a QB who has had his best day ever, a running game that no one can seem to stop and a kicker that makes field goals from 50 yards away. There is NO reason to get cute. As a coach you play to win the game and if what you are doing is working, you stick with it and do not change course. I can just see if it had blown up in their face those of you arguing would be on here crying like little girls and asking for Watson to resign after the game. Yeah, I read the game threads every week and when we were losing some of you were saying some of the dumbest things I’ve ever heard like fire the coaching staff at halftime. If this were the situation and Penn State would have been up by two scores with three minutes left and ran this a lot of you would be calling him classless and spewing your hate.

I know some of you don’t like to let others have their opinions and like BWI you come on here and try to bully people whose opinions do not match up with yours, but it was only my opinion based on experience. Maybe your hours of coaching from the stands makes you think otherwise, but that is YOUR opinion.

They most definitely have other plays built off this. Almost every play has another play that is run from it. That is why I'm arguing with Steel that not every play is deceptive. Some plays are straight up and there are deceptive plays that get run from that same play and formation. You run plays to see what the defense does and then at some point you run another play off of that one from the same formation. Get the defense to go one way or think run and then you pass the ball. Play action is a great example of that.

They most definitely have other plays built off this. Almost every play has another play that is run from it. That is why I'm arguing with Steel that not every play is deceptive. Some plays are straight up and there are deceptive plays that get run from that same play and formation. You run plays to see what the defense does and then at some point you run another play off of that one from the same formation. Get the defense to go one way or think run and then you pass the ball. Play action is a great example of that.

You are getting "base" plays confused with "deception".

For instance, we have run inside split zone in the past. It's a base play for probably 75% of college football.

Why do we reverse out? Why do we have the fullback/H back block the backside end?

Jet sweep has been a staple at Pitt since Canada was here. Why did he zone opposite the call and have a #'s disadvantage?

Reactions: MarshallGoldberg

For instance, we have run inside split zone in the past. It's a base play for probably 75% of college football.

Why do we reverse out? Why do we have the fullback/H back block the backside end?

Jet sweep has been a staple at Pitt since Canada was here. Why did he zone opposite the call and have a #'s disadvantage?

Maybe a dumb question, but wouldn't that FB/H-back always be blocking that EMLOS on split zone? I don't think Pitt is blocking that any different than any other team are they? I do think the shovel pass stuff that they used off of that under Canada was a nice deception.

Maybe a dumb question, but wouldn't that FB/H-back always be blocking that EMLOS on split zone? I don't think Pitt is blocking that any different than any other team are they? I do think the shovel pass stuff that they used off of that under Canada was a nice deception.

Pitt does do it that way. As does everyone else. It does 3 things that straight zone lead doesn't do -

1. Keeps the backside DE from getting nosey.

2. Holds the LBs for a split 2ND to allow combo blocks to be made with a higher chance of being made.

3. Sets up bootleg/reverse based upon how the DE is reacting. If that DE becomes hard to root out of the hole, a good OC will have the fb/hback slip that block and leak to the flat. Or, they'll dress up the inside zone even more and employ orbit motion with the flanker and run reverse. Employing orbit motion is a great tactic to open up inside zone. It really holds the backside backer and safety so you can get downhill on a defense. Gary Kubiak and Troy Calhoun made a living on tthis with the Broncos.

The shovel pass you're thinking of is handled differently. Pitt employs power scheme but dresses it up to create conflict with playside end. The jet motion holds him so he won't spill. They get the extra blocker in the hole with the backside og. Great scheme..

Wow, some of you just love to argue. Hey, it was just my opinion. You don’t run a play like that unless it is an emergency. Years of coaching I have seen that play blow up as much as I’ve seen it work. It is a play that may get a few reps, but not very many and too many things can go wrong. If the pass is backwards and the receiver drops it or it is a bad pass altogether, the defense can return it for a touchdown and all of the sudden it is a one possession game. You have someone who never runs or catches the ball which makes fumbling or dropping it more likely. You never think of injury but in this particular case an important part of your offensive line was lost for the season. But I guess since he is just a walk on I guess it is no loss. The play was successful, but it was not needed and the end result was your center is gone for the next three games.

You have a QB who has had his best day ever, a running game that no one can seem to stop and a kicker that makes field goals from 50 yards away. There is NO reason to get cute. As a coach you play to win the game and if what you are doing is working, you stick with it and do not change course. I can just see if it had blown up in their face those of you arguing would be on here crying like little girls and asking for Watson to resign after the game. Yeah, I read the game threads every week and when we were losing some of you were saying some of the dumbest things I’ve ever heard like fire the coaching staff at halftime. If this were the situation and Penn State would have been up by two scores with three minutes left and ran this a lot of you would be calling him classless and spewing your hate.

I know some of you don’t like to let others have their opinions and like BWI you come on here and try to bully people whose opinions do not match up with yours, but it was only my opinion based on experience. Maybe your hours of coaching from the stands makes you think otherwise, but that is YOUR opinion.

I believe you are the one doing the arguing against a majority who don't share your opinion. Using the injury as any justification why you wouldn't run that play is just stupid on so many levels.

The vast majority of teams who run a regular "surprise" play is to make a team spend time on defending 1% of the offense instead of the meat and potatoes.

Pitt's tackle eligible series is part of their scheme. DCs know this, they know they love it in the red zone.

If that DE becomes hard to root out of the hole, a good OC will have the fb/hback slip that block and leak to the flat.

The shovel pass you're thinking of is handled differently. Pitt employs power scheme but dresses it up to create conflict with playside end. The jet motion holds him so he won't spill. They get the extra blocker in the hole with the backside og. Great scheme..

Sorry, I thought that you were implying Pitt was using some kind of deception in how they run split zone. But I get that it is a base play that in design, uses deception.

I don't recall Pitt running that flat route much with Aston, but probably because there aren't a lot of guys that George can't uproot or at least stalemate in the hole. But that is a great wrinkle that I have seen teams put in as well.

DJ was great pulling on that power stuff. He was awesome in that Clemson game.

Yes.

And, though I have no evidence to prove it, I think one thing Pitt has benefited from is how Chryst, Chaney, Canada, and Watson have all run IZ with a lot of the same variations (and yes, some differences too.) Split zone seems more recently added? But same blocking scheme more or less regardless. The fly sweep became a somewhat bigger part of the offense under Canada but it was always something Chryst ran too. Maybe the offensive line has gelled because four of these guys have had five years to build strength and practice a lot of the same stuff.

To me it's also a good argument to red shirt linemen and take advantage of the four game rule so you get the most possible games and experience out of them. You're talking now something like 52 to almost 60 games a player could theoretically be eligible for in their college career.

One thing I haven't really paid much attention to -- does Miami still use corners as force players? I remember they used to have hard corner as force after jamming at the LOS, (maybe except when they made a cloud call and they'd drop deep.) I remember Alex Gibbs philosophy against those sort of teams when they were more common in the NFL was to leave them unblocked and your WR would go block the safety, based on the concept if you have to have someone unblocked, make it a corner who your running back should be able to beat. If you have corners who can stop a running back in space, you're doing pretty well, but most teams can't pull that off.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT