ADVERTISEMENT

Most cliched or overplayed song of all time

Fk_Pitt

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2007
1) Freebird -who doesn’t roll their eyes when you’re at a live show and someone yells “freebird” toward the stage in hopes the band plays it?

2) Stairway to Heaven

3) Smells Like Teen Spirit

4) anything considered for the latest Jock Jamz album. Like Zombie Nation...but maybe it’s because I can’t stand Nitters in Beaver Stadium. Its not unique. Be original.

5) Sweet Caroline. See #4.

Reactions: NTOP
1) Freebird -who doesn’t roll their eyes when you’re at a live show and someone yells “freebird” toward the stage in hopes the band plays it?

2) Stairway to Heaven

4) anything considered for the latest Jock Jamz album. Like Zombie Nation...but maybe it’s because I can’t stand Nitters in Beaver Stadium. Its not unique. Be original.

Seven Nations Army is that song...... Baaa ba ba ba baaaa ba.

Reactions: HailToPitt725

2) Stairway to Heaven

I always scream freebird when at the Harrisburg Symphony 4th of July concerts as a homage to those "freebird" dudes of yore...

2) Stairway to Heaven

The first three are great songs. That's the only reason they are overplayed. In the case of Smells Like Teen Spirit, I don't think I could ever tire of this song.

Reactions: Zepley09
“Fortunate Son” - CCR
“Everybody Get Together” - The Youngbloods

Two of the most abused songs anytime you have a movie that’s set in the 1960’s, especially Vietnam...

when im in my car driving and landslide by stevie nicks comes on, i want to steer my car into oncoming traffic and end my life as fast as possible. and the worst part is, that song ALWAYS comes on the radio. i feel like Jim Carrey in The Truman Show and a higher power, real or fake, is toying with me..

It's a great song ruined by PSU.

TBF, 7 nation army is played all across the world at sporting events. so of course, PSU just stole it and does the most unoriginal thing they could possibly do.

when im in my car driving and landslide by stevie nicks comes on, i want to steer my car into oncoming traffic and end my life as fast as possible. and the worst part is, that song ALWAYS comes on the radio. i feel like Jim Carrey in The Truman Show and a higher power, real or fake, is toying with me..
Just made me think of this

“I love rock n roll “ -Joan Jett

I want to drive my car off the road when it comes on.

This was the first song that came to my mind. There are a few cover versions out there - Dixie Chicks, Smashing Pumpkins - they are awful. So overplayed.

If you came of age in the 90s you know the correct answer to this thread is Hold My Hand by Hootie & the Blowfish. There was a time when that had such crossover appeal that it would be in the rotation of half the stations on your radio. But that one was almost like they let the epidemic spread unchecked and now maybe there is herd immunity because I actually don’t mind it as much.

TBF, 7 nation army is played all across the world at sporting events. so of course, PSU just stole it and does the most unoriginal thing they could possibly do.

I agree, but I only really notice how much I hate it at sporting events when I hear it at PSU games.

Of course, I hate everything about the PSU games and the cult who attend them.

Reactions: PittPanthers90
“Fortunate Son” - CCR
“Everybody Get Together” - The Youngbloods

Two of the most abused songs anytime you have a movie that’s set in the 1960’s, especially Vietnam...

"Born in the USA"?

I still recall all the trust fund babies blasting that song, showing their "patriotism"

Having no clue as to the meaning of that song.

In fairness. Pitt did that with Sweet Caroline.

Both are douchie. But Penn State is douchie to begin with. So they are super douchie with a douche on top.

Reactions: pitt90seven
1. The Manfred Mann Douche song.
2. Anything from The Rolling Stones
3. Anything from little feat

98% of all Beatles crapola.

giphy.gif

In fairness. Pitt did that with Sweet Caroline.

Both are douchie. But Penn State is douchie to begin with. So they are super douchie with a douche on top.

list of the dumbest things pitt athletics has ever done:

1. hire steve pederson (2nd time - we should've known better)
2. hire steve pederson (1st time)
3. sweet caroline
4. piss off jock
5. promote foge instead of hiring jimmy
6. almost the entirety of the 90's

Tom Sawyer - when scrolling through the stations and as soon as DVE is pulled up, I swear this song comes on more times than not.

"Born in the USA"?

I still recall all the trust fund babies blasting that song, showing their "patriotism"

Having no clue as to the meaning of that song.

I've gotten off that soapbox. Can't explain it to most people so why bother. Born to be Wild is a top candidate, especially in the Movie Soundtrack category

I agree, but I only really notice how much I hate it at sporting events when I hear it at PSU games.

Of course, I hate everything about the PSU games and the cult who attend them.
My local version for rugby player Waisake Naholo (who is an absolute beast):

Nice Roethlisberger jersey cameo too.

Old Time Rock & Roll... so overplayed during the 1980's and 90's.
That’s a good call. Exactly what the OP was seeking.

freebird” “old time rock n roll” and “I love rock n roll” is a good trifecta.

Margaritaville. It's actually the most pleasant, inoffensive song ever, but I hear it way too much.
As was mentioned, Renegade! Can we add Smoke On The Water? Love the tune, but it's right up there with the first three mentioned by the op.

2) Stairway to Heaven

For sheer amount of overplay, it's hard to top "Don't Stop Believing" by Journey.

For sheer amount of overplay, it's hard to top "Don't Stop Believing" by Journey.
Good point. When a song transcends and becomes a staple at sporting events, it reaches that point.

2) Stairway to Heaven

I nominate Proud Mary as one of the most overplayed wedding reception song.

Reactions: Farnox
I nominate Proud Mary as one of the most overplayed wedding reception song.
Hearing any CCR song once per month is too much for me. To me it’s just awful... but I wasn’t around during their time. But that’s what makes the world go around. I listen to just about every genre, and surely there is stuff I enjoy that would make a CCR fan jump out of their skin.

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT