ADVERTISEMENT

Most Underrated P5 Teams

I don't understand what underrated means right now. I've seen predictions for Pitt winning the Coastal and I'm sure there are some where they finish in 5th place. None of those are official ratings. So how are they underrated?

Can we somehow put Geoff Collins at 16th in the ACC?

That way when we add two more teams (ND and ???) he can still be in last place.

Reactions: Celtsfan
Move Doreen up to like 3rd. Guy has a couple 9 win seasons. Certainly better than Diaz.

Eh. He’s got two 9 win seasons, and he needed a bowl game one of those years to get to 9 wins.

The problem with Doeren is those teams still underachieved. Those teams had some serious talent on it. And the best he got was an 8 and 9 win regular season. With really some inexcusable losses during the regular season that cost them a really special season.

Then you look at what it cost them to get to that point. They sucked leading up to those two seasons. And then sucked afterwards. If you’re going to a boom-bust-boom head coach, you really have to take advantage of the boom seasons. You can’t be below .500 in ACC play for a few seasons as the lumps you take for gaining experience to set up your run, and then underperform during the seasons that are suppose to make the bad seasons worth it.

I don't understand what underrated means right now. I've seen predictions for Pitt winning the Coastal and I'm sure there are some where they finish in 5th place. None of those are official ratings. So how are they underrated?

Pitt is somewhat an odd choice on the list.
Utah, Minn., OKST I kinda get. Those teams were disappointments last year, and return a lot this year and have made some upgrades as well (Bently for Rising is a big upgrade at QB for Utah). You’re betting on those teams returning to the standard this year.

Pitt? I’m not sure. Steele has them ranked 3rd in the Coastal. That’s about where most have them and where they should be ranked. It’s not like you’re betting on them to return to the form of previous seasons. To believe Pitt is underrated, you’d actually have to believe this is finally the breakout season.

Eh. He’s got two 9 win seasons, and he needed a bowl game one of those years to get to 9 wins.

The problem with Doeren is those teams still underachieved. Those teams had some serious talent on it. And the best he got was an 8 and 9 win regular season. With really some inexcusable losses during the regular season that cost them a really special season.

Then you look at what it cost them to get to that point. They sucked leading up to those two seasons. And then sucked afterwards. If you’re going to a boom-bust-boom head coach, you really have to take advantage of the boom seasons. You can’t be below .500 in ACC play for a few seasons as the lumps you take for gaining experience to set up your run, and then underperform during the seasons that are suppose to make the bad seasons worth it.

I guess it isn’t a ringing endorsement of the guy as much as none of the others have even managed that many wins more than once. You want to talk bowl games? Narduzzi had to take EMU to the wire to get to 8 a couple years ago. I wouldn’t argue with Narduzzi or DD at three. At a minimum, both have a winning record at their job, which Clawson can’t say.

Well it's still nc state and he won 9 games twice. Nothing wrong with winning 9 their that's a better job than winning 10 at fsu.

Pitt is somewhat an odd choice on the list.
Utah, Minn., OKST I kinda get. Those teams were disappointments last year, and return a lot this year and have made some upgrades as well (Bently for Rising is a big upgrade at QB for Utah). You’re betting on those teams returning to the standard this year.

Pitt? I’m not sure. Steele has them ranked 3rd in the Coastal. That’s about where most have them and where they should be ranked. It’s not like you’re betting on them to return to the form of previous seasons. To believe Pitt is underrated, you’d actually have to believe this is finally the breakout season.
I could easily see Pitt at 9 -3 this year which would put them around 20 in the rankings so if most think they are going to be unranked then they are underrated. I normally look at the schedule and pick a worst case and a best case scenario then go somewhere in between. Most years that's 4 or 5 wins at the worst and 9 at the best or about 6.5 a year. This year I really think 6 or 7 is the worst case and 11 the best I really expect 9 wins this year.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
How does a guy with 10 conference wins in the last four years end up in the top half of anyone's conference coach rankings?

That list seems to be a lot of longevity.

Mack Brown has done a great job at UNC so far. To take over the dumpster fire they were and have them in the Orange Bowl in Year 2, and the level he has them recruiting at, is very impressive. But is it in itself enough to make him the number 2 coach? Nope. He’s just got some history of success, and that’s enough.

Cut has some history of an impressive accomplishment, and that’s enough in the ACC.

Really, the list is an indictment on the conference. It’s essentially a conference of one coach, and then you look to see who has done anything impressive at *any* point in their career, and put them next, because that’s better than everybody else in the conference.

Mack Brown has done a great job at UNC so far. To take over the dumpster fire they were and have them in the Orange Bowl in Year 2, and the level he has them recruiting at, is very impressive. But is it in itself enough to make him the number 2 coach? Nope. He’s just got some history of success, and that’s enough.

Cut has some history of an impressive accomplishment, and that’s enough in the ACC.

Really, the list is an indictment on the conference. It’s essentially a conference of one coach, and then you look to see who has done anything impressive at *any* point in their career, and put them next, because that’s better than everybody else in the conference.
And UNC has tremendous resources to work with! They should be top 25 every year.

And UNC has tremendous resources to work with! They should be top 25 every year.
Ehhh, Mack has put together a very good staff and they struck lightning in a bottle with a top QB. They were 8-4 last year and once Howell is gone theyre going to go back to being a 6-6 7-5 type of program. They dont worry me at all. Miami on the other hand (with NIL getting passed), worries me big time for the future, not so much this year besides theyre very talented QB

But that is every conference even the SEC. This is how I see it.

SEC
Teir 1- Saban
Tier 1.5- Fischer
Tier 2.5 Smart /Mullen/Coach O
Tier 3- Harsin/Leach/ Kiffin/O/Stoops-
Tier 4- Drinkwitz/Lee/Outtman

Big 10

Tier 1- No one, Day foes not have long enough track record and he took over too major of a power to put here.
Tier 2- Day/Fitzgerald. How do you rank Franklin? His recruiting is up there to put him in this group but game day is bad to put him in tier 4
Tier 3- Allen/Chryst/Fleck/Frentz/Franklin/Harbaugh
Tier 3.5- Frost/Schiano
Tier 4-Bielema /Brohm/Locksley/Tucker

ACC

Tier 1- Dabo
Tier 2- Brown
Tier 3-Clawson/Cutcliffe/Doeren/Mendenhall/Narduzzi/Sctterfield
Tier 3.5- Fuente/ Hafley
Tier 4- Barbers/Collins/Diaz/Norvell

The ACC seems to be in transition. As a whole, it needs to get better at football. The new TV money allowed schools to invest in facilities and play some catch-up with other conferences. Not sure where things will go next. Miami, UNC, and Florida State are three schools that all tanked and appear to be recruiting well right now. At least two of those schools need to step it up. VaTech had a nice run and could always re-emerge but not with Fuente. Just about everyone else has had a good year or two somewhere along the line and you'd hope one of those (or VaTech) could become nationally relevant.

Being anchored in the south, there is room to compete for the top recruits with the SEC. What Pitt does in Georgia and FL, although not overwhelming, wouldn't be happening if not in the ACC so we know it's possible for northern schools in the ACC to get some southern talent. How much remains to be seen.

Reactions: cashisking884
But that is every conference even the SEC. This is how I see it.

SEC
Teir 1- Saban
Tier 1.5- Fischer
Tier 2.5 Smart /Mullen/Coach O
Tier 3- Harsin/Leach/ Kiffin/O/Stoops-
Tier 4- Drinkwitz/Lee/Outtman

Not really. Just looking at those SEC coaches, they don’t suck. Maybe they are in a tier below Saban, but so is arguably every coach to ever coach.

But there are some absolute studs in that mix.

Last edited:
Ehhh, Mack has put together a very good staff and they struck lightning in a bottle with a top QB. They were 8-4 last year and once Howell is gone theyre going to go back to being a 6-6 7-5 type of program. They dont worry me at all. Miami on the other hand (with NIL getting passed), worries me big time for the future, not so much this year besides theyre very talented QB

They finished 8-3 in the regular season and went to the Orange Bowl in Year 2. That’s two years removed from losing to East Carolina by like 30.

The idea that Mack hasn’t done a damn good job, or that somehow they are going to collapse once their entire 2-deep is nothing but 4* and 5* players, is simple wish casting.

Last edited:
Reactions: pittdan77
Look no further why the ACC is the worst P5 conference. It’s head coaches compared to other conferences is lacking.

This is clearly a result of the ACC getting the least amount of money compared to other conferences.

Hopefully, if the ACC network gets a contract with Comcast. It’s more money for schools to go out and get better coaches.

Reactions: caleco's
Look no further why the ACC is the worst P5 conference. It’s head coaches compared to other conferences is lacking.

This is clearly a result of the ACC getting the least amount of money compared to other conferences.

Hopefully, if the ACC network gets a contract with Comcast. It’s more money for schools to go out and get better coaches.
Why does the ACC succeed in basketball? At one time FSU and Miami were the best jobs in college football. I think the PAC 12 is worst than the ACC plus they are on the brink of bankruptcy. I would love Pitt to get PSU type payouts.

Why does the ACC succeed in basketball? At one time FSU and Miami were the best jobs in college football. I think the PAC 12 is worst than the ACC plus they are on the brink of bankruptcy. I would love Pitt to get PSU type payouts.

A lot of it is money spent on football.

Miami and FSU did great when proximity to talent was everything.

And proximity is still probably the most necessary condition needed to win, with maybe one exception (Ohio State).

But it’s not sufficient. You have to spend money, because everybody around you is spending money.
Jimbo Fisher left FSU because, despite their proximity to talent, he didn’t think they could compete with the big boys anymore without getting out the checkbook. And FSU refused to get out the checkbook. Miami finally built an indoor practice facility like two years ago. And their head coach had to put up some of the money.

The ACC football’s programs just don’t have the money/don’t spend it off they do. Except for Clemson, who spends like an SEC school.

You don’t need as much money to succeed in basketball.

Reactions: sherepower
Basketball is a lot cheaper to succeed than football. In basketball you can buy 2 or 3 elite players. To win big.

In football you need to pay a lot more.

This really shouldn’t be complicated. Duke and UNC are elite basketball programs because of the amount of money boosters, fans, and other entities put into them. The same applies to the elite football schools. Duke basketball is a brand. Duke football is not.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT