ADVERTISEMENT

MSU and Dantonio

TJOlsen

Walk-on
Sep 13, 2017
After MSU got clobbered against Wisconsin they are now 4-3 on the season and still have to play PSU and Michigan. The team is struggling on the field and the sexual assault cases from a year or so ago I am sure become more of an ugly wart when the team can’t win.

Does Pat jump ship if MSU calls?

I hope not...I like what he has built here, but he probably would.

Lol and smh at the same damn time.

I really think some of you have abandonment issues. I understand it's because the last 2 coaches left. But seriously....get a grip.

Narduzzi isn't even setting the world on fire here at Pitt, but you guys are quick to worry and post threads like this.

If Dantonio is forced out, MSU will probably be looking for an offensive replacement and not Dantonio's defensive assistant.

Mark's reply will probably answer your question.

Reactions: Saboteur
After MSU got clobbered against Wisconsin they are now 4-3 on the season and still have to play PSU and Michigan. The team is struggling on the field and the sexual assault cases from a year or so ago I am sure become more of an ugly wart when the team can’t win.

Is MSU a better place to win? No EOS.

The Pitt job is the better of the two.

Better recruiting areas. Both in the school's backyard, and in the conference footprint.

Better history.

Reactions: Black Panther

Why would he? Other then spending several years there what ties does he have there? If its Dantonio, he'll be gone, has no ties to any players. Do you really think Narduzzi is waiting and hoping that Dantonio gets fired so he can jump ship and head to MSU, I just don't see it!

Better recruiting areas. Both in the school's backyard, and in the conference footprint.

Better history.

Michigan State is a better job and its not even close. Dantonio proved it by making two Rose Bowls and a college football playoff in the last 10 years. Pitt can't compete with the budget a school like MSU offers. We're last in donations in the ACC. We're on par with Purdue.

Michigan State is a better job and its not even close. Dantonio proved it by making two Rose Bowls and a college football playoff in the last 10 years. Pitt can't compete with the budget a school like MSU offers. We're last in donations in the ACC. We're on par with Purdue.
The ACC Coastal is an easier division to win right now, and Narduzzi likes Heather. A good relationship with your boss plays a factor.

Who knows how it would go. I remember these same threads with chryst. MSU is a better job overall, but pitt isnt chopped liver imo. Narduzzi seems to like it here as well. But at the end of the day, I wouldnt be surprised one way or another.

The MSU AD has a list of five names, maybe more, either in his desk or in his mind of preferred hires if the head coach leaves. He has that list for every sport. All ADs do. It’s part of being prepared for any occurrence.
I would be completely shocked it Pat Narduzzi’s name is anywhere on that list at MSU. He is ancient history there. He’s not set the world on fire at Pitt (hasn’t put Pitt consistently in the Top 25). And - the big one - he has not shown the ability to recruit at anything close to a high level.
No school looking to be nationally competitive is going to be knocking on Narduzzi’s door any time soon.

Last edited:
He's going anywhere soon until he builds up a better resume as a HC.
Mich St has five names on a list and Narduzzi isn't in the top five.

They might want him back as the DC but not the HC.

Doesn't Michigan State play a very similar brand of football as Pitt does? If that doesn't work, who's to say they won't go out and get some spread-oriented offensive guru just to appease their fan base and convince them they are trying something different? It doesn't seem as if they're lighting up the scoreboard these days: Offense seems to be their bigger problem.

Doesn't Michigan State play a very similar brand of football as Pitt does? If that doesn't work, who's to say they won't go out and get some spread-oriented offensive guru just to appease their fan base and convince them they are trying something different? It doesn't seem as if they're lighting up the scoreboard these days: Offense seems to be their bigger problem.

And has been for four years while Dantonio defiantly says all is well.

If you want to make more money and have more money for assistants etc., Michigan State is the better job. That's probably the standard most people use.

But I do think Pitt because of the coastal division is the better place for coaches who are building up a resume. Despite the complaints of some of our fans, most years Pitt has a schedule that could easily allow an 8-4 team to compete in the conference title game. You can't do that from the Big 10 East thanks to OSU.

If it were to happen it would come down to money. MSU could outbid Pitt by $1-2 million per year for both him and staff without breaking a sweat. The team generates $25+ million per year more than Pitt.

If MSU wants Narduzzi, Pitt won’t be able to stop it. The only questions are if they want to do it and if Narduzzi wants to stay for much less money.

If you want to make more money and have more money for assistants etc., Michigan State is the better job. That's probably the standard most people use.

But I do think Pitt because of the coastal division is the better place for coaches who are building up a resume. Despite the complaints of some of our fans, most years Pitt has a schedule that could easily allow an 8-4 team to compete in the conference title game. You can't do that from the Big 10 East thanks to OSU.

Are you saying MSU is a destination job and Pitt is a stepping stone job?
I’m not disagreeing or trying to cause a commotion. Your post makes an excellent point. Just wondering if that’s your conclusion.

Are you saying MSU is a destination job and Pitt is a stepping stone job?
I’m not disagreeing or trying to cause a commotion. Your post makes an excellent point. Just wondering if that’s your conclusion.

Depends on the stone you're trying to step to. Michigan State is a stepping stone if you're Nick Saban, for example. It's not the destination that Ohio State or Michigan is.

But they probably are slightly higher up the pecking order than Pitt due to economics, sure. And they will get their 75,000(?) to most home games.

All that said, again, Pitt has a real advantage in that if you win your manageable division games, you can play for a conference title. That's really hard in the Big 10 East. They made their divisions so lopsided with OSU, Michigan, and Penn State on the same side.

Reactions: ThePanthers
He's going anywhere soon until he builds up a better resume as a HC.
Mich St has five names on a list and Narduzzi isn't in the top five.

They might want him back as the DC but not the HC.

Why would Narduzzi want to leave Pittsburgh once he gets the program where he wants it.

He might like Pittsburgh and the ACC.

Pittsburgh is a lot nicer place to live than East Lansing for sure.

YOU folks who are saying Michigan st would get Narduzzi no matter what. You realize in the next 3 or 4 years ......if the ACC and Comcast come to a agreement with the Network.

That evens the playing field for Pitt against most programs who end up in a bidding war for a coach.

There might be 7 or 8 programs that Pitt will not be able to compete with when it comes to keeping coaches. Michigan st would not be one of those.

Reactions: PittFamily2
Lol and smh at the same damn time.

I really think some of you have abandonment issues. I understand it's because the last 2 coaches left. But seriously....get a grip.

Narduzzi isn't even setting the world on fire here at Pitt, but you guys are quick to worry and post threads like this.

If Dantonio is forced out, MSU will probably be looking for an offensive replacement and not Dantonio's defensive assistant.

Mark's reply will probably answer your question.

Majors left pitt to go to tenn, and we were the best team in country. Sherrill left, although you could argue that the administration pushed him out. Paul Chryst left to go home, Graham left in middle of morning and didn’t tell anyone and Walt left to go to Stanford.

So there is a reason why some of us are worried or have abandonment issues.

Dantonio has a history of crapping the bed one season and following it up with at least 10 wins. He's won at least 10 games six times since 2010 and they have a funny way of ruining someone every year (ask James from State College). Is anyone even sure they want rid of him? I know the scandal thing happened but let's not pretend it matters if they've kept him this long.

YOU folks who are saying Michigan st would get Narduzzi no matter what. You realize in the next 3 or 4 years ......if the ACC and Comcast come to a agreement with the Network.

That evens the playing field for Pitt against most programs who end up in a bidding war for a coach.

There might be 7 or 8 programs that Pitt will not be able to compete with when it comes to keeping coaches. Michigan st would not be one of those.

We are still woefully behind in donations, the main driver behind the haves and have nots financially.

If it were to happen it would come down to money. MSU could outbid Pitt by $1-2 million per year for both him and staff without breaking a sweat. The team generates $25+ million per year more than Pitt.

If MSU wants Narduzzi, Pitt won’t be able to stop it. The only questions are if they want to do it and if Narduzzi wants to stay for much less money.
saying pitt cant match is ridiculous its simply not true, if pitt wanted to match they could, with the new ACC money coming in with the tv deal they will bring in a bunch more money

To be honest, I would be perfectly fine with Charlie Partridge or Mark Whipple as HC at Pitt. Narduzzi is a nice guy but certainly not the Dynamic HC you can't afford to lose. Hell, I'd hire Wannstedt back for 5 years and this time support him.

Please Michigan State, Narduzzi is your guy.

Better history.

And besides this, people tend to forget that Pitt is the closest thing to Narduzzi's hometown, having grown up in Youngstown

As to salary, sure for some people it is an ego thing but when you are making over $3 million a year - it may sound silly but the impact of making say $4 million versus $3 million will have on one's lifestyle is typically not large (unless you are an idiot like AB and some other pro players who dump money like crazy)

Majors left pitt to go to tenn, and we were the best team in country. Sherrill left, although you could argue that the administration pushed him out. Paul Chryst left to go home, Graham left in middle of morning and didn’t tell anyone and Walt left to go to Stanford.

please, you have been around long enough to know not to include Walt in that group. He had no desire to leave. Chances are Chryst would have been asked to leave after 2015 since I don't think he would have done as well as Narduzzi's 8-5 season.

Majors and Sherrill were like 40yrs ago. A lot of us wasn't even born yet.

Pitt let Walt walk.

Do u really miss Graham? I was happy to see him go.

Chryst and Narduzzi are in the same category for me. Would be nice to keep them for stability, but not a big deal if they left.

And besides this, people tend to forget that Pitt is the closest thing to Narduzzi's hometown, having grown up in Youngstown

As to salary, sure for some people it is an ego thing but when you are making over $3 million a year - it may sound silly but the impact of making say $4 million versus $3 million will have on one's lifestyle is typically not large (unless you are an idiot like AB and some other pro players who dump money like crazy)

I mean, a 33% raise is a 33% raise, and a million dollars per year is a million dollars per year. Over a decade, that difference becomes well over $12 million with even modest investment strategies.

I'm not saying it matters to everyone, but I don't think we need to say that only an idiot, as you put it, would take that deal.

Reactions: brickfhouse
The MSU AD has a list of five names, maybe more, either in his desk or in his mind of preferred hires if the head coach leaves. He has that list for every sport. All ADs do. It’s part of being prepared for any occurrence.
I would be completely shocked it Pat Narduzzi’s name is anywhere on that list at MSU. He is ancient history there. He’s not set the world on fire at Pitt (hasn’t put Pitt consistently in the Top 25). And - the big one - he has not shown the ability to recruit at anything close to a high level.
No school looking to be nationally competitive is going to be knocking on Narduzzi’s door any time soon.

Just curious do you think Franklin will turn down Alabama when they make him the highest paid coach in CFB? No chance for Dabo, so they will go all out for Franklin given his SEC resume. My only PSU source tells me money is the #1 thing for Franklin.

I mean, a 33% raise is a 33% raise, and a million dollars per year is a million dollars per year. Over a decade, that difference becomes well over $12 million with even modest investment strategies.

I'm not saying it matters to everyone, but I don't think we need to say that only an idiot, as you put it, would take that deal.

You are misinterpreting and misstating what I wrote. I said:

the impact of making say $4 million versus $3 million will have on one's lifestyle is typically not large (unless you are an idiot like AB and some other pro players who dump money like crazy)

Clearly when I mentioned the idiot part it was about people who spend money like crazy (buying custom painted Rolls Royce, owning 4 homes, dropping $20K at a time at the strip club, etc like some pro players do). But someone living a normal lifestyle, even as a successful, highly paid person, that extra million will not make much of a difference in their lifestyle. There is only so much money one can realistically spend each year in this scenario. And if you have been earning big dollars for a while, you likely have already socked away a substantial amount for when you are ready to retire or whatever.

Like I said, for some people it is an ego thing or whatever so it would matter. But sometimes there are more important things than just more money, especially when you earn a ton of money already

Thanks for stopping by! :rolleyes:

Reactions: CaptainMurphy

Pitt can compete with their budget, actually. It's not about the spending and not even about the revenue. Schools need that revenue for other sports, and many programs spend in the same ballpark on football, including Pitt and MSU.

With that said, it's hard to win at MSU. They had some good years when Big Ten powerhouses were going through some turmoil.

Schools don't usually fire a coach, and then bring in a former staff member who has only had modest success at his new job. Now, If MSU were still rolling, and Dantonio were leaving for the NFL or a job like USC, they might look at Narduzzi as a guy who could keep the train rolling. However, since in this scenario he's being fired, that means they are not happy with what he's doing. Why would they then want to bring in a clone?

With that said, it's hard to win at MSU. They had some good years when Big Ten powerhouses were going through some turmoil.

But isn't turmoil at the top of the B1G something of a constant? OSU has some sort of "scandal" every few years and Michigan always finds a way to underperform. That leaves PSU and at last check, Franklin isn't exactly killing MSU. For as good as that division is, they're not really a factor nationally most years.

Schools don't usually fire a coach, and then bring in a former staff member who has only had modest success at his new job. Now, If MSU were still rolling, and Dantonio were leaving for the NFL or a job like USC, they might look at Narduzzi as a guy who could keep the train rolling. However, since in this scenario he's being fired, that means they are not happy with what he's doing. Why would they then want to bring in a clone?

It's more likely they'd poach the guy from Cincy or one of the MAC schools in that neighborhood anyway. I'd be shocked if Narduzzi's name wasn't floated by someone but there's probably very little interest from either side for a variety of reasons.

Comcast doesn’t enter into it. The ACC deal is with Disney/ESPN. The ACC gets the same $$$ no matter what Comcast does or doesn’t do

Comcast doesn’t enter into it. The ACC deal is with Disney/ESPN. The ACC gets the same $$$ no matter what Comcast does or doesn’t do

It matters a lot. ACC and Disney/ESPN are 50/50 partners in the ACC Network. The more money that network brings in (ie. subscribers), the more both get. Same set up as the SECN.

Once Comcast comes on board, that is a larger paycheck. The ACC and ESPN forecasted 3 years before full distrubtion checks start rolling in, mainly because of Comcast.

Reactions: cease10
ADVERTISEMENT