ADVERTISEMENT

MTL

Oct 25, 2021
We really need to be leaders in starting a non-NIL league. I'm calling it the Minimal Talent League, but they'd probably want to consider a better name.

All scholarships are three-year contractual guarantees, unless one of a specific, predetermined set of circumstances occurs. It can't be, "Oh no, I think my dorm is haunted. I have to go play for Ohio State." After your first three years is up, you're free to stay (if the coaches would like to retain you), go play with the big boys, declare for the NFL draft, sell shoes at Payless... whatever.

I'm envisioning teams such as us, Syracuse, Boston College, Duke, Wake Forest, Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, Arizona, Arizona State, Oregon State, Washington State, Cincinnati... you get the picture. Should be able to find about 64 worthy schools, and then you can divide it into two conferences each with four divisions of 8 teams. I think this league would generate enough fan interest/revenue to allow us to continue on our ultimate quest to be a volleyball/soccer university.

It's stupid to remain in this dog fight when we've got three legs and only a few severely rotted teeth. I completely understand that some of you want to remain in the big leagues. but you know what sucks? Being dragged across the safari like a zebra carcass by a pack of lions every week. Remember in 2020 when we lost to Notre Dame by 650 and then followed that up with a loss at Clemson by 1,892? I can't speak for everybody, but I didn't particularly enjoy that. Time to remove ourselves from the equation. Paying high school recruits ungodly amounts of money is weird and, quite frankly, unappealing anyway. Let Ruiz and company have their little game and live vicariously through guys who can jump farther than they could ever punt a football. We'll adjust.

Only you and Pitt79 would be at these games. 😄

Maybe at first. But you'd all start to accumulate once this got rolling. And by the time Pitt hosted Cal for the MTL World Heavyweight Championship, I think we'd be looking at a couple thousands diehards packing Highmark Stadium.

Ha, but seriously... what was Pitt's attendance in the low years of the 90's? Because that, with a general deflation adjustment for the lack of sporting event attendance overall, might be what we're looking at if this NIL thing continues. I just don't see how that's a sustainable route for us and those in our tax bracket. I do thing there's a debate to be had in assessing fan interest in a league that is no longer top tier but still has recognizable opponent names vs being the pond scum in an NIL-frenzied game of Show Me Da Money.

We really need to be leaders in starting a non-NIL league. I'm calling it the Minimal Talent League, but they'd probably want to consider a better name.

All scholarships are three-year contractual guarantees, unless one of a specific, predetermined set of circumstances occurs. It can't be, "Oh no, I think my dorm is haunted. I have to go play for Ohio State." After your first three years is up, you're free to stay (if the coaches would like to retain you), go play with the big boys, declare for the NFL draft, sell shoes at Payless... whatever.

I'm envisioning teams such as us, Syracuse, Boston College, Duke, Wake Forest, Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, Arizona, Arizona State, Oregon State, Washington State, Cincinnati... you get the picture. Should be able to find about 64 worthy schools, and then you can divide it into two conferences each with four divisions of 8 teams. I think this league would generate enough fan interest/revenue to allow us to continue on our ultimate quest to be a volleyball/soccer university.

It's stupid to remain in this dog fight when we've got three legs and only a few severely rotted teeth. I completely understand that some of you want to remain in the big leagues. but you know what sucks? Being dragged across the safari like a zebra carcass by a pack of lions every week. Remember in 2020 when we lost to Notre Dame by 650 and then followed that up with a loss at Clemson by 1,892? I can't speak for everybody, but I didn't particularly enjoy that. Time to remove ourselves from the equation. Paying high school recruits ungodly amounts of money is weird and, quite frankly, unappealing anyway. Let Ruiz and company have their little game and live vicariously through guys who can jump farther than they could ever punt a football. We'll adjust.

No, what Pitt and schools need to fight for are:

- NIL being regulated. How bout no pay for play NIL deals? If Primanti's pays you $2500 to do a YouTube commercial, cool. If the owner is a billionaire fanboy who pays you $1 million to do that commercial, that's pay for play and you are ineligible.

Or

- fight to pay players with a salay cap. This unregulated booster salary model isnt sustainable. If the NCAA put in a salary cap and allowed players to be paid, Pitt could make cuts elsewhere (ie volleyball) to spend up to the salary cap on players so the playing field could be leveled to a degree.

Is this different than D3 or D2, or FCS? And how do you propose restricting a right that the court has determined to be legal?

- NIL being regulated. How bout no pay for play NIL deals? If Primanti's pays you $2500 to do a YouTube commercial, cool. If the owner is a billionaire fanboy who pays you $1 million to do that commercial, that's pay for play and you are ineligible.

Or

- fight to pay players with a salay cap. This unregulated booster salary model isnt sustainable. If the NCAA put in a salary cap and allowed players to be paid, Pitt could make cuts elsewhere (ie volleyball) to spend up to the salary cap on players so the playing field could be leveled to a degree.

Here's the thing... everybody who matters wants the big brands to be really good. Look at how many weeks this past season had an awful slate of games. If the talent is concentrated in a few conferences that play each other all season long, it's a win for the sport in the eyes of many.

Pitt will be out of sight and out of mind, and nobody will care at all. They're not going to upend this system so the little guys can get their slice of cake.

Maybe at first. But you'd all start to accumulate once this got rolling. And by the time Pitt hosted Cal for the MTL World Heavyweight Championship, I think we'd be looking at a couple thousands diehards packing Highmark Stadium.

Ha, but seriously... what was Pitt's attendance in the low years of the 90's? Because that, with a general deflation adjustment for the lack of sporting event attendance overall, might be what we're looking at if this NIL thing continues. I just don't see how that's a sustainable route for us and those in our tax bracket. I do thing there's a debate to be had in assessing fan interest in a league that is no longer top tier but still has recognizable opponent names vs being the pond scum in an NIL-frenzied game of Show Me Da Money.
I’m exaggerating of course, there would be a subset of interest in our current fanbase. Maybe I underestimate the portion of our diehards would remain diehards when even the theoretical chance of being a NC is gone. It may be higher than I think.

But that number of diehards is already far too low, and only a subset of it will continue.

So is it sustainable then? Pitt is only in this sport now because it’s a requirement to be in the ACC, which provides the checks for us to afford the sports nobody cares about. That’s it, that’s all, that’s the list. So when that shaky façade off the ACC finally collapses, is Pitt going to continue funding what will then be a NON-revenue, high-cost sport? Can’t see it.

Is this different than D3 or D2, or FCS? And how do you propose restricting a right that the court has determined to be legal?

Maybe "non pay-for-play" would have been better terminology. It's become synonymous with "NIL," so that was lazy wording on my part. I assume that can be regulated since the NCAA has already been idly threatened with needing to regulate it before congress steps in.

I’m exaggerating of course, there would be a subset of interest in our current fanbase. Maybe I underestimate the portion of our diehards would remain diehards when even the theoretical chance of being a NC is gone. It may be higher than I think.

But that number of diehards is already far too low, and only a subset of it will continue.

So is it sustainable then? Pitt is only in this sport now because it’s a requirement to be in the ACC, which provides the checks for us to afford the sports nobody cares about. That’s it, that’s all, that’s the list. So when that shaky façade off the ACC finally collapses, is Pitt going to continue funding what will then be a NON-revenue, high-cost sport? Can’t see it.

I have to assume there are some profitable G5 teams. This would essentially be a step above that. But you're right - Pitt is going to be forced to take it's slice of the loser's share to fund things like Victory Heights, because that offers more profitability in the immediate future.

What I'm talking about is more of a long-term model, since we're going to get left high and dry anyway once the ACC contract expires. I figure if we act now at least we won't have to endure another decade of hardcore losing that causes us to lose what little fan support we have. Then we'll really be left without any dancing partners and probably just have to fold football entirely, whereas at least now we could pretend like this is a virtuous decision, be competitive in a new league, and (ideally) keep fans interested in Pitt football.

Only you and Pitt79 would be at these games. 😄
Why? What would be different? You're an idiot if you think Pitt is playing for a National Title at the highest level now. Last year was the best you can hope for, an ACC Championship when Clemson has a down year. So, what would be different if you were in the same ACC without 2-3 that left for the big leagues? And you actually had a chance at a title, the tailgate is still there, still have cold beer too. Would you really rather be like Rutgers will be? In the big league, playing the jobber getting slammed to the mat by the hulk and the nature boy every week, praying to be bowl eligible once every five years... but yeah, we're at the highest level :)

Why? What would be different? You're an idiot if you think Pitt is playing for a National Title at the highest level now. Last year was the best you can hope for, an ACC Championship when Clemson has a down year. So, what would be different if you were in the same ACC without 2-3 that left for the big leagues? And you actually had a chance at a title, the tailgate is still there, still have cold beer too. Would you really rather be like Rutgers will be? In the big league, playing the jobber getting slammed to the mat by the hulk and the nature boy every week, praying to be bowl eligible once every five years... but yeah, we're at the highest level :)

I agree, Pitt79. We need to blow this joint. I don't want to be figure-foured into submission by teams who paying for their clothes, while we're dumpster diving for sweatpants with holes in them.

What fascinates me.....is which P5 school is first to get up from the table?

And how quickly several more follow suit.

With no stadium to maintain.....no stomach for big time football.....Pitt may not be the lynchpin

But they will walk away from this madness.

Reactions: PantherDDS

With no stadium to maintain.....no stomach for big time football.....Pitt may not be the lynchpin

And they should, in my opinion. I don't think FBS schools have any business playing FCS schools because of the inherent advantages they possess. Well, the chasm between the NIL haves and broke ass mofos is similar. It may be more like the current P5 vs G5, as opposed to the P5 vs the FCS, but it's still enough that we shouldn't be in the same playing field as them.

Yep

I’d rather them not play at all. It would be sad to see.

We've decided to roll out two conferences: The Conference of Virtue and the Conference of Excellence (pretentious names for "East" and "West").

Pitt is in the Conference of Excellence, and the first division has been revealed: The COE North:

Pitt
Syracuse
Boston College
Temple
Army
Uconn
Buffalo
West Virginia

Let's get out there and win some football games, fellas.

I just said something similar in another thread before I read yours. Yeah, I think if this continues without real governance and some equity, I think you are going to find schools like Pitt and many others, becoming like an FCS school, limiting scholarships and not putting so much money and emphasis on football. It's just not going to be worth it.

Which would be hilarious because yeah, "the players are getting paid!" WEEEEEE! (which I agree they should) but they shouldn't be getting paid NFL salaries (which I think some are) so like anything, the rich will get more (5 stars) and those kids who Alabama's and Ohio State's don't want? Well...hey, get your grades up, because there aren't full ride scholarships for you anymore at some schools.

I just said something similar in another thread before I read yours. Yeah, I think if this continues without real governance and some equity, I think you are going to find schools like Pitt and many others, becoming like an FCS school, limiting scholarships and not putting so much money and emphasis on football. It's just not going to be worth it.

Which would be hilarious because yeah, "the players are getting paid!" WEEEEEE! (which I agree they should) but they shouldn't be getting paid NFL salaries (which I think some are) so like anything, the rich will get more (5 stars) and those kids who Alabama's and Ohio State's don't want? Well...hey, get your grades up, because there aren't full ride scholarships for you anymore at some schools.

Yeah, it's just silly. Like so many other things in society, people don't like how something is going so they take it to the absolute polar extreme in the opposite direction. Like, who could even get excited over just buying championships (or at least relevance) like this? It's like using a sledgehammer to pound a nail in. If this is what these billionaires want to do with their money, have at it. But I just see it as grimy or something.

And of course the irony is that they could all just as easily get together and agree to pay a baseline of $0 instead of $5 million, because it'll all just become relative anyway.

And of course the other irony is that the schools/NCAA are completely off the hook. They don't have to pay a dime in any of this (unless you argue that donations will now decrease and be devoted to NIL funds). That's now really how the business structure is supposed to work. Fans pay for the product. They're not supposed to pay the quasi employees, too. I don't go to Giant Eagle, buy groceries, and then hand the cashier a 20. I'm with you that the players should be getting something. Even if it's more than the free scholarship, access to world-class facilities and coaching, exposure, and $1,500ish/month stipend they're already getting. But... this is just stupid.

None of them. Sorry, I understand how bad this all sucks as a fan from a competition standpoint. But Pitt, Wake Forest,etc will happily continue to cash those checks from the massive TV deals.

Probably west coast teams. Some of those PAC 12 schools are probably looking for reasons not to play football.

Or

Schools would still find a way to get around a salary cap. And if they get caught so what. Look at schools like Kansas, Tennessee, and Arizona. The punishment was so weak. The NCAA has no power to truly punish.

None of them. Sorry, I understand how bad this all sucks as a fan from a competition standpoint. But Pitt, Wake Forest,etc will happily continue to cash those checks from the massive TV deals.

Yeah, there really isn't much incentive for Pitt's employees to want to be paid less and have less money for their athletic department. Rutgers would be in the MAC by now if not getting flogged each game mattered.

But, as the GOR expiration nears and uncertainty looms, there may be a few schools who get tired of playing this game and are proactive about getting into something else.

Yeah, there really isn't much incentive for Pitt's employees to want to be paid less and have less money for their athletic department. Rutgers would be in the MAC by now if not getting flogged each game mattered.

But, as the GOR expiration nears and uncertainty looms, there may be a few schools who get tired of playing this game and are proactive about getting into something else.

Yep. There’s a few progressive academic schools that would probably love to use conferences blowing up as an excuse to get out of this thing all together. I could see Cal and Stanford not playing football 10 years from now.

Why not? It wouldn't be any different at all. Not sad at all. Have you SERIOUSLY ever felt they were in contention for a Natty in any year after say 1983?
If they had played the game, as they once did, they well could have. They chose the eunuch approach for 30ish years. This upcoming upheaval in the sport will make it permanent. And like the majority in this region (as has been seen by entities such as the USFL, Arena League, and all the non-D1 schools) …if we’re not Major League, even as a ditch digger (aka the Pirates), I will have zilch interest. If you and others do, Mazel Tov.

Reactions: Pitt79

Those big checks will also be significantly reduced. ACC, even if it exists, will not be distributing checks like today’s with most of the heart of its schools playing in the Big Champ football league.

If they had played the game, as they once did, they well could have. They chose the eunuch approach for 30ish years. This upcoming upheaval in the sport will make it permanent. And like the majority in this region (as has been seen by entities such as the USFL, Arena League, and all the non-D1 schools) …if we’re not Major League, even as a ditch digger (aka the Pirates), I will have zilch interest. If you and others do, Mazel Tov.

It would undoubtedly require some mental adjustments to enjoy, especially for fans who grew up with it being the way it is not. And make no mistake: I definitely prefer the way it is now to being in some scrub league like this. This hypothetical is mostly predicated on the projection of us becoming a complete bottom feeder.

That said, I have a friend who doesn't watch college athletics because it isn't the best of the best. He'll watch the NFL and NBA, but not the college version of either sport. So, to some degree, we're already accepting a product that isn't the cream of the crop, so to speak. It may or may not be impossible to go one notch lower yet and still be satisfied.

It would undoubtedly require some mental adjustments to enjoy, especially for fans who grew up with it being the way it is not. And make no mistake: I definitely prefer the way it is now to being in some scrub league like this. This hypothetical is mostly predicated on the projection of us becoming a complete bottom feeder.

That said, I have a friend who doesn't watch college athletics because it isn't the best of the best. He'll watch the NFL and NBA, but not the college version of either sport. So, to some degree, we're already accepting a product that isn't the cream of the crop, so to speak. It may or may not be impossible to go one notch lower yet and still be satisfied.
I agree it is what you are accustomed to. I have basically 50 years where we were in “Major College Football” aka the major league of the sport (even as a kid I knew the “college” aspect was largely bogus at that level). So for me right or wrong, possibly very wrong, I personally won’t be interested to follow Pitt in the triple-A level, while the major league still exists. As I said above, it’s great for those who will. I fear there will be more like me though, who have kept the faith for “ one more big run like in the 70s” as futile as we knew in our minds it would be. That’s exactly why there was so much over the top hope for this season.

I agree it is what you are accustomed to. I have basically 50 years where we were in “Major College Football” aka the major league of the sport (even as a kid I knew the “college” aspect was largely bogus at that level). So for me right or wrong, possibly very wrong, I personally won’t be interested to follow Pitt in the triple-A level, while the major league still exists. As I said above, it’s great for those who will. I fear there will be more like me though, who have kept the faith for “ one more big run like in the 70s” as futile as we knew in our minds it would be. That’s exactly why there was so much over the top hope for this season.

The Pirates are a good example for me because I couldn't be any less interested them than I am now. Not sure if I would follow them if they dropped into some lesser league, but I know I sure don't watch them now (and haven't in some time). There's a limit to what my allegiances can take.

But there's also a fantastic chance this all sounds better in my head than it would actually be. I already bitch about the broadcast quality of games on the ACC Network (I shouldn't be able to hear the mf'ing wind in the background!).

That said, I have a friend who doesn't watch college athletics because it isn't the best of the best. He'll watch the NFL and NBA, but not the college version of either sport.
The funny thing is, I enjoy college basketball a lot more, and I think it's because the players aren't as good as in the NBA, the NBA shooters are so good it's just a 3-point shooting contest and very boring TO ME.

The funny thing is, I enjoy college basketball a lot more, and I think it's because the players aren't as good as in the NBA, the NBA shooters are so good it's just a 3-point shooting contest and very boring TO ME.

I've said the same thing in the past, and I'm starting to feel the same way about the NFL. The pass rushers have gotten so fast and the corners so good that plays don't even have time to develop unless you've got a great OL or a QB who can buy time. A lot of it is just identifying the favorable 1-on-1 matchup and throwing a 50/50 ball. It's like the game has gotten too fast to still be played in such a confined space.

I've said the same thing in the past, and I'm starting to feel the same way about the NFL. The pass rushers have gotten so fast and the corners so good that plays don't even have time to develop unless you've got a great OL or a QB who can buy time. A lot of it is just identifying the favorable 1-on-1 matchup and throwing a 50/50 ball. It's like the game has gotten too fast to still be played in such a confined space.
Absolutely, the NFL athletic ability is so top notch that multiple strategies you can use in college football that lead to high scoring and close games are off the table in the NFL. And the difference between QB talent able to dominate NFL defenses is so great, in college there might be a few dozen stud QBs throwing for 30 TDs and 4000 yards and only 2-3 of those are actually able to play in the NFL against that level defenders

I'm surprised G5 teams fight so hard for one seat at the table when they are afterthoughts from the P5. They're just used as a creampuff schedule filler to get an easy win on Homecoming. By the time the dominos fall, I think there'll at least be a split between the P5 and G5 with the G5 probably finding a better regular season and postseason system.

This is a very interesting thread with lots of very good points contributed by many of you. I can't honestly sit here and say I wouldn't mind seeing Pitt step down and maybe winning four of the next five FCS championships. Part of that is because as much as I hate saying it I just don't see Pitt being able to play at the top dog level. I'm in agreement that there are only so many teams that can continue to buy players at this rate. Pitt is not one of them. Here comes the super conferences.

After having lived in Texas for years, we are not even close to what schools like Texas and Texas A&M are able to do. Maybe that's okay. Maybe not. But I guess that is my reasoning for agreeing with @TheWerewolfFromTwilight that maybe Pitt needs to be the trend setter and get out of this race first. The ACC will probably implode, maybe not next year or the year after but I think ultimately it will. Does Clemson join the SEC, Florida State, etc?

Anyway, good thread, enjoyed reading this one, thank those of y'all who contributed.

Can I buy some pot from you?

Werewolf: Interesting comments. BTW, I hope you're not in marketing for a living.

ADVERTISEMENT