ADVERTISEMENT

My 5 keys to the season beginning on a good note

daytonpanther

Freshman
Nov 18, 2001
1) Healthy camp with no injuries to starting team; specifically QB, WR, OL (in order)
2) OL gets stable and solid by first ACC game (GT). Allowing Pickett to get into a game rhythm and give freedom to TEs in flats and outside lanes rather than blocking assignments
3) Defense takes another leap forward allowing Pitt offense and special teams to overcome youthful mistakes (missed field goals and poor punts could spell problems in close games)
4) Kenny becomes a better than average game manager (not trying to much) and, at best, an All-ACC QB by end of season (first, second or third team)
5) Running back by committee is good enough to make opposing LBs and Safeties play honestly, reducing sacks and punishment on Kenny.

Most of us believe the offense is the biggest question mark in this season and if they can get through the first third of the season uninjured, should be ready to complete in the ACC and at ND.

I think the defense will be better than we have had over the last 6 seasons or so, not that it is a hard feat to accomplish.

HTP

1) Healthy camp with no injuries to starting team; specifically QB, WR, OL (in order)
2) OL gets stable and solid by first ACC game (GT). Allowing Pickett to get into a game rhythm and give freedom to TEs in flats and outside lanes rather than blocking assignments
3) Defense takes another leap forward allowing Pitt offense and special teams to overcome youthful mistakes (missed field goals and poor punts could spell problems in close games)
4) Kenny becomes a better than average game manager (not trying to much) and, at best, an All-ACC QB by end of season (first, second or third team)
5) Running back by committee is good enough to make opposing LBs and Safeties play honestly, reducing sacks and punishment on Kenny.

Most of us believe the offense is the biggest question mark in this season and if they can get through the first third of the season uninjured, should be ready to complete in the ACC and at ND.

I think the defense will be better than we have had over the last 6 seasons or so, not that it is a hard feat to accomplish.

HTP
Numbers 1and 2 are the most important..let’s face it —- it’s always about the O line.

1. DL at least look average. We were just so bad in every area last year. I don't expect us to dominate PS or GT. But at least look like we belong on the field with their OL.

2. Same thing for OL. If we don't have the tackles figured out, and it's becoming a race to the QB against a team like GT, we're in trouble this season.

3. A WR flash. There's some evidence that returning QB production and returning WR production have the two biggest correlations to offensive success. Which isn't a good sign for us, especially early in the year. But if a WR or two at least flashes, it would be a better sign for the middle of the season when the ACC schedule really gets under way.

Reactions: daytonpanther
Numbers 1and 2 are the most important..let’s face it —- it’s always about the O line.
agree. Numbers 1 and 2 are critical. Assuming #1 works out, I am pretty concerned about #2. Having looked at the preliminary depth chart, I have to say our O-line will likely be the team weakness. However, should they gel and surprise, we could have a very good year. I pretty much think the play of our O-line will be the greatest single factor in the success or failure of the team this year.

I think the defense will be solid and ahead of the offense for the first half. If conditioning in off season was successful, I could see some wins over GT and UCF (road game). I agree PSU is going to be tough.

Quick start against PSU will be important.

I feel good about Millin, Morrisey and Bookser. It's the two senior guards who need to play like veterans despite not much experience. Hopefully Ford and Chase Brown/Hargrove push hard for starting jobs.

Reactions: daytonpanther
Like to see Pitt up big 8 minutes into the 2nd half against Albany so Towns can get a chance to play a quarter and a half.
Patti could see some action too with new red shirt rule. Love to see some early game day development from Pitt's QB of the future.

Reactions: bignorthu2
What bothers me about the O-line depth chart is that our two highest rated players coming in are backups. This is understandable as they are redshirt freshman. I see that the Drake is second string which is fine for now. Carter Warren, however, is marred in a log jam at left tackle, where he is currently fourth in line. I am ok with all of this for now, because I realize alot can change after camp starts. I really hope the cream rises to the top. We can't afford to have the best rated players in the class not playing.

Additionally, I see that my boy Paris Ford is listed as a backup corner. I am predicting that after camp, he will emerge a starter at one of the safety positions. The coaches know they have a stud, he didn't come here to be a backup, or a corner. He is a natural safety, and needs to be freed up to make plays. I know he will make some mistakes back there, but, his instincts and ability will allow him to make game changing plays. I guess we will see...

Reactions: Paintbuckets
I will also reserve judgment on oline until after the season to see if we progress more with better coaching

ADVERTISEMENT