ADVERTISEMENT

My Honest View

pittmeister

Heisman Winner
May 26, 2010
Pitt friends:

Honestly, is anyone shocked by today’s developments? I am not. It was so predictable.

Going into this season, Pitt had the deepest most talented roster we’ve had since the Gottfried days. We had a talented super senior in Kenny Pickett. The schedule was set up for Pitt to start 5-0. Now I have always been patient and supportive of Pitt coaches. I know that for a program like Pitt, it takes time to build.

It’s now year SEVEN in the Narduzzi era and we’re still losing to MAC teams at home… In my opinion, this is unacceptable.

Now some of my fellow poster that I respect, and follow are willing to spin this. I cannot. I am deeply disappointed. When I see teams like Iowa State and Cincinnati ranked in the top 15, it makes me sick knowing that Pitt could be one of those teams.

I could create a list of teams that are on Pitt’s level that have won 10 or more games multiple times in a season since 1981, but I’ve done that for the past two seasons.

I can promise you that a lot of important people will not be happy with today’s results. They are expecting a 9–10-win season and will not accept anything less. This was a game that was circled as a must win.

The question is, what does Pitt do if they fall short? I want to see how the rest of the season unfolds, but if I were Heather, I’d start quietly looking around for possible replacements from now until the end of the season.

I have no confidence now that the season will end well…

Fortunately, you will be proven wrong.
I hope. But based on history, I'd say I like my odds. What could Pitt realistically do the rest of the year that would make up for today's brutal loss? 11-1? Then people would be upset they lost to WMU when they could have been undefeated. 10-2 and an appearance in the Fenway Bowl?

Nope, this one hurts....

Reactions: boseman7
I hope. But based on history, I'd say I like my odds. What could Pitt realistically do the rest of the year that would make up for today's brutal loss? 11-1? Then people would be upset they lost to WMU when they could have been undefeated. 10-2 and an appearance in the Fenway Bowl?

Nope, this one hurts....

That’s the thing. The entire ACC Costal is collapsing. So Pitt actually could still have some success In the W-L column. But it’s not going to be a successful season. Being the one eyed man in the land of the blind should not be what we are relying on in Year 7.

That’s the thing. The entire ACC Costal is collapsing. So Pitt actually could still have some success In the W-L column. But it’s not going to be a successful season. Being the one eyed man in the land of the blind should not be what we are relying on in Year 7.
I've been thinking about the game since it ended today, and I can't think of any possible scenario that would make up for today's loss. This was the year we were supposed to win all of our winnable games and finish at least 9-3. Even if you finish 9-3, today's loss will come back to haunt you knowing you could've been 10-2 and in a better bowl game and ranked at the end of the season.

Nope, this one hurts....

I'll go with your odds, too. I could see Pitt winning maybe 4 more games the rest of the year. Maybe 5 if they somehow luck out and the opponent doesn't show up.

Reactions: WannyandWalt

Nope, this one hurts....
Of course it hurts. I don’t like this either.

Pitt friends:

Honestly, is anyone shocked by today’s developments? I am not. It was so predictable.

Going into this season, Pitt had the deepest most talented roster we’ve had since the Gottfried days. We had a talented super senior in Kenny Pickett. The schedule was set up for Pitt to start 5-0. Now I have always been patient and supportive of Pitt coaches. I know that for a program like Pitt, it takes time to build.

It’s now year SEVEN in the Narduzzi era and we’re still losing to MAC teams at home… In my opinion, this is unacceptable.

Now some of my fellow poster that I respect, and follow are willing to spin this. I cannot. I am deeply disappointed. When I see teams like Iowa State and Cincinnati ranked in the top 15, it makes me sick knowing that Pitt could be one of those teams.

I could create a list of teams that are on Pitt’s level that have won 10 or more games multiple times in a season since 1981, but I’ve done that for the past two seasons.

I can promise you that a lot of important people will not be happy with today’s results. They are expecting a 9–10-win season and will not accept anything less. This was a game that was circled as a must win.

The question is, what does Pitt do if they fall short? I want to see how the rest of the season unfolds, but if I were Heather, I’d start quietly looking around for possible replacements from now until the end of the season.

If you are a Pitt fan and I assume that most of us on this website are, then YES, today was absolutely a disappointing loss. Evidently, you have not yet learned that Pitt, regardless of who the head coach is, will lose at least one game every year to a team that we all think they should beat. This year, that team is Western Michigan. In reality, Pitt was never going to be as good this year as most fans started to believe that they were and Western Michigan is actually a lot better of a team that most Pitt fans thought they were. Today we saw what will happen when the better team on paper (Pitt) has an off day and the less talented team (Western Michigan) has a good day. Sadly, this type of loss is now expected each year. If Pitt played Western Michigan 100 times, Pitt wins probably 80-85% of them, today was one of those 15-20% they do not. This loss does damage to the program because there will be less interest in the program by fans and media. Because of that, Pitt will have its usual 20,000-25,000 fans at most home games and that will hurt the program even more, because it will be used against them by other schools recruiting kids in the area. I still like having Pat Narduzzi in charge but these types of losses hurt Pitt fans, players and the Pitt program.

If you are a Pitt fan and I assume that most of us on this website are, then YES, today was absolutely a disappointing loss. Evidently, you have not yet learned that Pitt, regardless of who the head coach is, will lose at least one game every year to a team that we all think they should beat. This year, that team is Western Michigan. In reality, Pitt was never going to be as good this year as most fans started to believe that they were and Western Michigan is actually a lot better of a team that most Pitt fans thought they were. Today we saw what will happen when the better team on paper (Pitt) has an off day and the less talented team (Western Michigan) has a good day. Sadly, this type of loss is now expected each year. If Pitt played Western Michigan 100 times, Pitt wins probably 80-85% of them, today was one of those 15-20% they do not. This loss does damage to the program because there will be less interest in the program by fans and media. Because of that, Pitt will have its usual 20,000-25,000 fans at most home games and that will hurt the program even more, because it will be used against them by other schools recruiting kids in the area. I still like having Pat Narduzzi in charge but these types of losses hurt Pitt fans, players and the Pitt program.

I don't, so to each their own

Reactions: PittPoker
I've been thinking about the game since it ended today, and I can't think of any possible scenario that would make up for today's loss. This was the year we were supposed to win all of our winnable games and finish at least 9-3. Even if you finish 9-3, today's loss will come back to haunt you knowing you could've been 10-2 and in a better bowl game and ranked at the end of the season.
Beat Clemson and everyone “forgets” this game.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Nope. Even if Pitt somehow wins 9 many will say it could have been 10. And understandably so. People are rationalizing and spinning themselves into knots. But whatever works.
Win 10 or 11, and this game is written off as a let down.

We came out flat (we didn’t)

Win 10 or 11, and this game is written off as a let down.

We came out flat (we didn’t)
I’ll probably concede that. But the idea that they’ll win 10 or 11.

ray-liotta-laughing-ray-liotta.gif

Reactions: ldkjr516
Pitt friends:

This team isn't very talented. Pitt is far less talented defensively than they were last year. It's not even comparable. The defense blows. They are young and should improve, but as of today, they blow.

The schedule was set up perfectly for for a 5-0 start & they pissed it away.

Cincinnati isn't a good comparison. Regardless of their ranking, there is no Jedi mind trick that can convince anyone that Cincinnati is a legitimate top 15 program.

This is what you can expect if you keep Narduzzi. If you make a change, you'll get more of the same. Until Pitt fixes its recruiting problem, expect mediocrity.

This team isn't very talented. Pitt is far less talented defensively than they were last year. It's not even comparable. The defense blows. They are young and should improve, but as of today, they blow.

The schedule was set up perfectly for for a 5-0 start & they pissed it away.

Cincinnati isn't a good comparison. Regardless of their ranking, there is no Jedi mind trick that can convince anyone that Cincinnati is a legitimate top 15 program.

This is what you can expect if you keep Narduzzi. If you make a change, you'll get more of the same. Until Pitt fixes its recruiting problem, expect mediocrity.

There are many problems that need fixing. How about an athletic administration that doesn't put the football program in position to win. What do I mean by that? Well look at the schedule in 22 & 23. Again no favors by the admin, scheduling Tenn, WVU and a rematch with Western Michigan on the road. 23 is worse with ND, WVU & Cinci. You think any SEC or BIG is scheduling like that?

But that ties back to your original point. This is the first time the schedule was conducive to a good start and generating some buzz leading up to Clemson. And we blew it again.

Beat Clemson and everyone “forgets” this game.

That would be nice, but not necessarily the point. You need to be ranked and string together some wins to generate national buzz and have Herbie, Stew Mandel, Andy Staples talking about you to be relevant. Another Coastal championship with a 7-7 season with a win against Clemson is another huge failure.

Reactions: sherepower

Nope, this one hurts....

Well 10-2 would salvage things, but no way it happens, none. It will be goofy stuff like beating Miami & Clemson but then losing to Duke & Cuse to finish 7-5.

We are already at the point where we need to start talking scenarios.

9-3 finish - Narduzzi is back
8-4 must win bowl game
7-5 50/50 chance of coming back, a loss in the bowl seals the deal
6-6 welcome back to the coaching carousel Pitt.

Well 10-2 would salvage things, but no way it happens, none. It will be goofy stuff like beating Miami & Clemson but then losing to Duke & Cuse to finish 7-5.

8-4 must win bowl game
I agree with your scenarios. We are in similar situation as BC was with Steve Addazio a couple years ago.

8-4 must win bowl game
Dude, I agree with this wholeheartedly. But even if Pitt goes 4-8 Duzz is coming back. Everyone who matters loves the guy. He literally would have to go winless the rest of the year or go 4-8 or 5-7 two seasons in a row to lose his job.

Dude, I agree with this wholeheartedly. But even if Pitt goes 4-8 Duzz is coming back. Everyone who matters loves the guy. He literally would have to go winless the rest of the year or go 4-8 or 5-7 two seasons in a row to lose his job.
Gep…you are spot on. That being said…there are many good pieces that are in place with the coaching staff.

Reactions: Gep Dawg

idk, everyone seemed to love Wanny and then he totally crapped the bed and was let go. But I think they are happy to just cash the ACC checks and as you say if the right people like him it doesn't really matter then.

idk, everyone seemed to love Wanny and then he totally crapped the bed and was let go. But I think they are happy to just cash the ACC checks and as you say if the right people like him it doesn't really matter then.
I hear you. But Wanny was actually got let go after he won the conference. Yeah he went 7-5 and a four way tie. But it wasn't performance...he was let go because Steve P hated him. And Pedy had that SI article describing all the behavioral issues the team had that year to use as an excuse to fire him.

Reactions: WannyandWalt

I agree.

I hear you. But Wanny was actually got let go after he won the conference. Yeah he went 7-5 and a four way tie. But it wasn't performance...he was let go because Steve P hated him. And Pedy had that SI article describing all the behavioral issues the team had that year to use as an excuse to fire him.

Steve told him to make coaching changes after the poor season, Wanny told him to F-off. He thought Nordy had his back and was wrong. The SI stuff was a convenient cover for the real reasons of the firing.

8-4 must win bowl game

I don't think anybody cares win or lose about a bowl game anymore. Everyone is already checked out by then except for the CFP teams and wanna-be programs like Cincinnati that think a NY6 win would somehow change the perception of their program. It won't.

College athletics is 90% about coaching. After 7 years, it is clear we don't have coaching that will get Pitt to the point that generates interest outside the core fan base, or grow it, and the core fan base that is left is subsequently going to continue to wither away. A lack of hope and excitement is going to slowly kill the program.

7 years, 8 weeks in the top 25 and never higher than 21st. Pitt hasn't finished ranked since 2009...that's 11 years. That's not acceptable.

Last edited:
College athletics is 90% about coaching. After 7 years, it is clear we don't have coaching that will get Pitt to the point that generates interest outside the core fan base, or grow it, and the core fan base that is left is subsequently going to continue to wither away. A lack of hope and excitement is going to slowly kill the program.

7 years, 8 weeks in the top 25 and never higher than 21st. Pitt hasn't finished ranked since 2009...that's 11 years.

You nailed it, truth hurts

7 years, 8 weeks in the top 25 and never higher than 21st. Pitt hasn't finished ranked since 2009...that's 11 years. That's not acceptable.
90% recruiting. Fixed it for you.

IMO retaining Narduzzi at 4-8 seems wildly pro-Narduzzi and out of step with reality. I really think he needs to go on a bit of a tear here. Beating UNH and winning 1 ACC game won't be enough.

There are many problems that need fixing. How about an athletic administration that doesn't put the football program in position to win. What do I mean by that? Well look at the schedule in 22 & 23. Again no favors by the admin, scheduling Tenn, WVU and a rematch with Western Michigan on the road. 23 is worse with ND, WVU & Cinci. You think any SEC or BIG is scheduling like that?

But that ties back to your original point. This is the first time the schedule was conducive to a good start and generating some buzz leading up to Clemson. And we blew it again.

No disrespect intended, but I just don't know what more the athletic administration should be doing at this particular moment. It's hard for me to look at scheduling as an issue. W Michigan at home should be a slam dunk win.

For me, plain and simply, i just think think Narduzzi and his staff are average recruiters and average tacticians and average motivators. And they had a bad day on fronts #2 and #3 today, with not enough talent to overcome it.

Last edited:
List 5 coaches who would take the job and be an upgrade over Duzz. It could be much worse - we have a lot of evidence to prove that. Unless there is someone VERY good in the hopper, it would be extremely dangerous to get rid of Duzz if finishes with a winning record. It's not as easy to make a change as most assume.

Reactions: DruidTM
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT