ADVERTISEMENT

My Honest View

This team very likely goes 7-5 again. The question is how many people will find that unacceptable vs how many people find that unacceptable and are willing to actually do something positive about changing the 40-year status quo.

Frankly, Pitt football has less than 30K loyal fans and probably less than 10K who have both higher expectations and the passion and means to put up to make change happen. That kind of support won't compete with very many P5 programs.

This team very likely goes 7-5 again. The question is how many people will find that unacceptable vs how many people find that unacceptable and are willing to actually do something positive about changing the 40-year status quo.

Frankly, Pitt football has less than 30K loyal fans and probably less than 10K who have both higher expectations and the passion and means to put up to make change happen. That kind of support won't compete with very many P5 programs.
As a Narduzzi supporter I will tell you emphatically that 7-5 is NOT acceptable, especially coming off a 6-5 season with 7 players being drafted.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
What I am saying is that as long as Pitt continues to employ a mediocre coach and recruiter like Pat Narduzzi that yes, absolutely, Pitt's potential is mediocre.

The fact that you somehow think that Pitt just can't possibly ever do better than a mediocre coach doesn't make it so.

The day that Pitt hires a good coach is the day that Pitt has the potential to be more than mediocre. Pitt's potential, with a good coach, is not national championship contender, but it absolutely is to be a contender for the Coastal division title most years and win it sometimes, and it is absolutely to finish in the top 25 at least semi-regularly. The notion that is it simply not possible for Pitt to finish the season in the top 25 is ridiculous.
BRAVO!

If teams like Iowa St, Cincinnati, WVU can do it, there's no excuse why Pitt can't.

It is also a thought process that must radiate through the entire program.

The one thing that Johnny Majors brought with him when he was hired at Pitt was positive energy:

He thought elite...

He acted elite...

Pitt became elite...

He received full support from everyone (just like Narduzzi) and the results were obvious..

If everyone around the program feels that Pitt is a program that's no better than 7-5, then that's what you're going to get...

Not only does my position make perfect sense, it's also fluid & subject to change on a whim.

The fact that you believe so strongly in your position that you admit that it is subject to change on a whim tells you that your position makes absolutely no sense what so ever. If your position made perfect sense then there would be no reason to change it, let alone on a whim.

Like I said, in your world there are about six programs in all of NCAA football that are better than mediocre. Penn State, mediocre. Wisconsin, mediocre. Iowa, mediocre. Florida, mediocre. Texas A&M, mediocre. LSU, mediocre. Oregon, mediocre. Texas, mediocre. Oklahoma State, mediocre. And so on.

If you understand the definition of mediocre then you know that that's just nuts. Which is why you have to be completely delusional to think that your position makes perfect sense. And why you'll change it on a whim.

Reactions: WannyandWalt
I don't think anybody cares win or lose about a bowl game anymore. Everyone is already checked out by then except for the CFP teams and wanna-be programs like Cincinnati that think a NY6 win would somehow change the perception of their program. It won't.
You really hate Cincy for some reason.

The fact that you believe so strongly in your position that you admit that it is subject to change on a whim tells you that your position makes absolutely no sense what so ever. If your position made perfect sense then there would be no reason to change it, let alone on a whim.

Like I said, in your world there are about six programs in all of NCAA football that are better than mediocre. Penn State, mediocre. Wisconsin, mediocre. Iowa, mediocre. Florida, mediocre. Texas A&M, mediocre. LSU, mediocre. Oregon, mediocre. Texas, mediocre. Oklahoma State, mediocre. And so on.

If you understand the definition of mediocre then you know that that's just nuts. Which is why you have to be completely delusional to think that your position makes perfect sense. And why you'll change it on a whim.
I think programs like Iowa & Wisconsin are good programs in that they pretty much maximize their potential. They have little chance of ever competing for a National Title.

But yeah, there are about 18 or 20 schools that have a realistic shot at winning a National Title. In the ACC, you can win a Natty at Clemson, FSU, and Miami. I don't think it can be done at the other schools. In the Big 10, I think you can do it at Ohio State, Michigan, and PSU. In the Big 12, OU & Texas. In the Pac-12, USC, Oregon & possibly UCLA if they ever got their shit together. In the SEC, Alabama, LSU, Auburn, Georgia, Florida, TAMU, and borderline Tennessee. Also, Notre Dame.

I think there are 65 P5 schools. If your program isn't one of the roughly 30% that has a legit chance of winning a National Title, I consider it mediocre. How could you not?

You really hate Cincy for some reason.
Haha. It's such a bush league program & everyone pretends it's a quality program.

Luke Fickell is 4-3 against P5 opponents. UC hasn't beaten a ranked P5 program since Butch Jones squeaked out a 3 point win against High Octane in 2011. Let that sink in.

It's hilarious. If they squeak out a win against Memphis, SMU, and UCF, some people will act like they deserve a shot at the title and that Luke Rockne is the next Nick Saban.

Luke Fickell = midwestern Gary Patterson.

Yeah I’m with you on that. Just couldn’t believe the guy said that, his statement was ridiculous and when challenged on it he doubled down on his stupidity. Where do they get these guys?
If a kick is too risky, why not try a run for 2?

Reactions: WannyandWalt
If a kick is too risky, why not try a run for 2?

Because attempting to run for two still contains some small amount of risk. Taking a knee entails absolutely no risk what so ever. It's the difference between a 0.1% chance of losing and a 0.00000000000% chance of losing.

For example, while not an extra point attempt, from just last year:

There are many problems that need fixing. How about an athletic administration that doesn't put the football program in position to win. What do I mean by that? Well look at the schedule in 22 & 23. Again no favors by the admin, scheduling Tenn, WVU and a rematch with Western Michigan on the road. 23 is worse with ND, WVU & Cinci. You think any SEC or BIG is scheduling like that?

But that ties back to your original point. This is the first time the schedule was conducive to a good start and generating some buzz leading up to Clemson. And we blew it again.
OMG- Are out of conference schedule next year is Rhode Island, Western Michigan, Tennessee, and WVU. This administration must not want to succeed scheduling a murder’s row like that 🤣🤣🤣🤣
Come on, the schedule is not the problem. People always reference the easy out of conference schedule of most SEC teams. That’s because in conference their playing Alabama, LSU, Texas A&M, etc while we’re playing Syracuse, Duke, Georgia Tech etc.
The schedule is not the problem,

OMG- Are out of conference schedule next year is Rhode Island, Western Michigan, Tennessee, and WVU. This administration must not want to succeed scheduling a murder’s row like that 🤣🤣🤣🤣
Come on, the schedule is not the problem. People always reference the easy out of conference schedule of most SEC teams. That’s because in conference their playing Alabama, LSU, Texas A&M, etc while we’re playing Syracuse, Duke, Georgia Tech etc.
The schedule is not the problem,
ok, sure

ADVERTISEMENT