ADVERTISEMENT

My issue with Pitt basketball

Oct 1, 2019
The biggest issue with our team is that Capel does not hold his players accountable. For example, u throw a behind the back pass, u get benched immediately. Also, for how good hugley is/should be, he gets too lazy on defense way to often, and he’s not alone. We get blown past by less athletic guys too often. When ur not better skilled then the team ur playing, which is us most acc games, u have to be willing to do the little things right and play harder then the other team. And we simply don’t do that. We have a good enough roster to be a respectable acc team, but we have no offensive system to get open looks and we slack on defense. I understand we won today but being down at half against them is crazy if you want to be a tournament caliber team. You can win with lesser teams if you’re willing to play the right way and outwork the other team.

For example, u throw a behind the back pass, u get benched immediately.
What if it works? It's not that hard for a player to do, I found it easy to do accurately playing pickup games. I think it depends on the result.

Reactions: Drew1208
The biggest issue with our team is that Capel does not hold his players accountable. For example, u throw a behind the back pass, u get benched immediately. Also, for how good hugley is/should be, he gets too lazy on defense way to often, and he’s not alone. We get blown past by less athletic guys too often. When ur not better skilled then the team ur playing, which is us most acc games, u have to be willing to do the little things right and play harder then the other team. And we simply don’t do that. We have a good enough roster to be a respectable acc team, but we have no offensive system to get open looks and we slack on defense. I understand we won today but being down at half against them is crazy if you want to be a tournament caliber team. You can win with lesser teams if you’re willing to play the right way and outwork the other team.

You say this as if you have any clue of the consequences of certain actions.

I'll give you an example GDG got a technical called for a finger wag while running down court in the first game. Have you seen that since? Do you seriously think it wasn't addressed?

Here's another, Hinson gets a technical for laughing at a fan yelling. Was it not addressed? Jason spent the next couple of minutes addressing it with Hinson. After the game Hinson apologized to the ref.

Quite frankly it's silly to think you have a better approach.

Reactions: jctrack
If you start benching guys every time they make a mistake all you end up with is a team full of players afraid to make a mistake.

Which is a really bad way to play basketball.
In some (most?) respects but there was a possession in the where John didn’t even look like he tried to offer a defense as his man just easily backed down and scored on him. I know I yelled at John and screamed for Capel to watch him (much to my son’s embarrassment).

In some (most?) respects but there was a possession in the where John didn’t even look like he tried to offer a defense as his man just easily backed down and scored on him. I know I yelled at John and screamed for Capel to watch him (much to my son’s embarrassment).

But there's a difference between a guy making a mistake and a guy not trying.

If you bench a guy for lack of effort that tells him to try harder if he wants to play. If you bench a guy for making a mistake that tells him that if he wants to play he can't make a mistake, and guys who are preoccupied with not making a mistake don't make plays either.

There nothing in the past 2 yrs to suggest he’s a laggard. Could be when he tries to brace himself to fight off a guy backing down on him his knee starts to give out . You just don’t know and they’re not going to tell you either .

capel sat big john most of the game. He held john accountable.

capel sat big john most of the game. He held john accountable.
But he shouldn’t need to at this point. John seems to have little self discipline and at the end of his career I think the fan base will have definite mixed opinions on him. Historically we have had guys with lesser innate talent who have worked hard and improved each year. That is not John.

Reactions: HailToPitt1985
There nothing in the past 2 yrs to suggest he’s a laggard. Could be when he tries to brace himself to fight off a guy backing down on him his knee starts to give out . You just don’t know and they’re not going to tell you either .

Wouldn't expect to see anything that looked like last season's Hugley until January at the earliest. Players typically don't bounce back quickly from knee injuries- especially 275 pound ones.

Teams will figure out doubling John right now is a mistake and eventually he will make them pay for not doubling him.... just not in 2022.

Reactions: Drew1208
You say this as if you have any clue of the consequences of certain actions.

I'll give you an example GDG got a technical called for a finger wag while running down court in the first game. Have you seen that since? Do you seriously think it wasn't addressed?

Here's another, Hinson gets a technical for laughing at a fan yelling. Was it not addressed? Jason spent the next couple of minutes addressing it with Hinson. After the game Hinson apologized to the ref.

Quite frankly it's silly to think you have a better approach.
Since you mentioned Hinson getting the T. I noticed early on in the NW game when he hit a 3, he stood and posed for a good 3-5 seconds after it went in. It was like the MJ pose after he hit the shot to beat Utah in the finals. I hope Capel addresses this with him cause while your standing there posing, the other team, and your own man are heading down the other end and you are out of defensive position. It wasn't a problem against NW cause they weren't pushing the ball up the floor after a make but it will be a problem if not addressed, vs teams that run.

Since you mentioned Hinson getting the T. I noticed early on in the NW game when he hit a 3, he stood and posed for a good 3-5 seconds after it went in. It was like the MJ pose after he hit the shot to beat Utah in the finals. I hope Capel addresses this with him cause while your standing there posing, the other team, and your own man are heading down the other end and you are out of defensive position. It wasn't a problem against NW cause they weren't pushing the ball up the floor after a make but it will be a problem if not addressed, vs teams that run.
I loved this lol

What if it works? It's not that hard for a player to do, I found it easy to do accurately playing pickup games. I think it depends on the result.
behind the back passes are a good tool to use when appropriate. Like on a 2 on 1 fast break and the other player filling the lane is not big enough for an alley opp. As long as it's not in traffic. I think he is referring to a pass Nelly tried to make behind the back but was in traffic and wasn't a good time to use it. But it wasn't a situation where you should bench him for it. He was just trying to make a play.

behind the back passes are a good tool to use when appropriate. Like on a 2 on 1 fast break and the other player filling the lane is not big enough for an alley opp. As long as it's not in traffic. I think he is referring to a pass Nelly tried to make behind the back but was in traffic and wasn't a good time to use it. But it wasn't a situation where you should bench him for it. He was just trying to make a play.
That makes sense, it's insane to say you should never use them, it's an appropriate thing depending on the situation

Not sure if it was that one specifically but coach definitely "corrected" that live. You can see him on the court screaming at them to get back after making a three. Lol.

Keep in mind, most of players are new so there's a learning curve on both parts. I love Hinson's energy while cringing at times when he goes over the top.

Not sure if it was that one specifically but coach definitely "corrected" that live. You can see him on the court screaming at them to get back after making a three. Lol.

Keep in mind, most of players are new so there's a learning curve on both parts. I love Hinson's energy while cringing at times when he goes over the top.
I didn't notice Capel correcting it but glad he did. Definitely a teachable moment!

Reactions: joeydavid
Capel chews out players every once in a while; I've seen it at games even if the TV camera doesn't catch it. And he sits you if you are playing poorly now that he has a real bench. I think we still have some major problems you can lay on him as head coach, but I disagree with the thesis of this thread.

Also agree with the difference between making a mental error vs. lack of effort. The former is human, the later should get you pine time.

Reactions: joeydavid
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT