ADVERTISEMENT

My neighbor has a dilemma

Las Panteras

All Conference
May 11, 2014
Had my neighbors over last night for pizza and hockey.

The guy played soccer at Clemson and has done very well in corporate life. So well, that he has funded a soccer scholarship at Clemson payable from his estate.

We were talking about NIL and Pitt's challenges when he mentioned the Clemson athletic dept has reached out about throwing some cash at their NIL cause.

My buddy is now torn. He's one of these guys (as many here in this board) that believes dollars should go to scholarships for kids and not to mercenaries. And he made it clear that Clemson would go get the best players just to win.

What would you guys do? He said he will honor the endowed scholarship but will not throw money at NIL. This is a guy with means....and its Clemson.

Would you keep the endowment in place? Toss some money in for NIL? Or stand up and say enough is enough?

The guy played soccer at Clemson and has done very well in corporate life. So well, that he has funded a soccer scholarship at Clemson payable from his estate.

We were talking about NIL and Pitt's challenges when he mentioned the Clemson athletic dept has reached out about throwing some cash at their NIL cause.

My buddy is now torn. He's one of these guys (as many here in this board) that believes dollars should go to scholarships for kids and not to mercenaries. And he made it clear that Clemson would go get the best players just to win.

What would you guys do? He said he will honor the endowed scholarship but will not throw money at NIL. This is a guy with means....and its Clemson.

Would you keep the endowment in place? Toss some money in for NIL? Or stand up and say enough is enough?
Your neighbour obviously feels strongly about this. Once semi-pro college sports start officially, the athletes may no longer be students, so may no longer require scholarships. And sports like soccer may disappear when the resources are all going to CFB and MBB.

If he feels so inclined to continue to support scholarships, he could make that endowment very specific that it transfers to an academic scholarship if sports scholarships cease to exist.

I'm not doing any of this NIL crap for college sports anymore. I am sponsoring local sports teams through my businesses this year. It makes a big difference to them, and they are very appreciative of the support.

I would tell your neighbour to be careful though. If he puts football NIL into his estate, he might end up having a terrible accident so Clemson can afford to recruit another 5 star QB that they are unable to develop.

Enough is enough.
Not a nickel for NIL.

Was a wheels of support dealer for 25+ years. Never got a thank you from Pitt…..
No more benevolence from my wallet.

ACC schools get, what, around $40 million per school? If the players are going to get paid to play, it needs to start coming from the TV contracts they are earning.

I will never give a single dollar for NIL. There are plenty of actual charities out there that do real charity work to help people in need or to make the world better in some way. Have him pick some if those to make donations to.

He funded a soccer scholarship -- sounds like he cares about soccer. I doubt NIL is that huge in the college soccer world, at least it certainly can't be what it is for football and basketball. I'd probably stick with the scholarship.

The other problem is that he is making this part of his estate ... the way those types of gifts normally work is that your money goes to take of yourself first while you are alive. And if you happen to have enough left in your estate by the time you pass, then the school will get its gift. So this gift might not even happen, or if it does, it won't be for years. Clemson begging for NIL now is completely different type of gift.

Reactions: lilspainishflea

Doesn't sound like he has a dilemma at all. Sounds like he knows exactly what he wants to do.

i think this is truly the best course of action if you want to suppport a non-revenue sport for your college. guy sounds like he knows exactly what he wants to do and an endowed scholarship will go MUCH further for the betterment of the program than nil money

Give him the best advice and tell him to direct his money to something worthy, not college athletics.

Reactions: Pitt79
So like, do you all talk to your neighbors a lot?
do driveway drinking with 4/5ths of the cul de sac a few times a week with them, been that way for awhile but picked up big time when covid started.. one of them is even a huge psu fan but i dont hold that against him.

love having neighbors you can hang out with on an afternoon/evening and throw beers down with. spoke to people who "never talked to their neighbors" and found that kind of weird but maybe their neighbors suck.

So like, do you all talk to your neighbors a lot?
No. Neighbors across the street are Vietnamese. They play this chanting music 24/7/365, barely come out of their house, don't socialize or even say Hi to anyone. My next neighbor is a really nice dude and I talk to him. The one guy across the street has the personality of a tree. The other one is the minister for one of these cultish religions that likes keeping his wife barefoot and pregnant and they have like a zillion kids. The other guy across the street is pretty cool, but he works out moreso than Navy Seals. One of my neighbors I swear is in the witness protection program as you never seem them at all, and he only cuts grass like at 8AM on a Sunday AM. The guy behind me is a complete redneck with annoying dogs. I have to build a temporary fence (I call it the 38th parallel) so my dogs and his dogs don't fight at the fence (they always instigate).

I want to move to the sticks. Suburbia sucks.

It's his money. He should whatever he feels comfortable with. Clemson should just send a thank you note for whatever money they receive in whatever form.

Curious how he feels about the kid they just poached from PSU and why he thinks it happened. Was it just a superior offer to PSU or was it NIL?
Clemson has won multiple National Championships within that kid's lifetime. PSU, on the other hand, might not have even won one in his parent's lifetimes.

Reactions: pittdan77

Screw it, do neither, they won't be real students, many will now just play at 4-5 schools and never even graduate, it's not really college sports or student athletes anymore.

do driveway drinking with 4/5ths of the cul de sac a few times a week with them, been that way for awhile but picked up big time when covid started.. one of them is even a huge psu fan but i dont hold that against him.

love having neighbors you can hang out with on an afternoon/evening and throw beers down with. spoke to people who "never talked to their neighbors" and found that kind of weird but maybe their neighbors suck.
I miss that kind of world, sounds like Western PA, I'm in Maryland and none of the neighbors hang out at all with each other, but that's the modern world, people hate each other, people hate the idea of hanging out at all with neighbors or co-workers, it's a fvked up world. I miss when I lived in a worse neighborhood, I had these Hispanic neighbors, sometimes they'd have a dozen illegal aliens living in their basement working for their lawn care company, Thye'd be partying, BBQing all the time, loved hanging out with them, more fun than quiet Anglo-Saxons keeping to themselves.

Reactions: Las Panteras
That is one of many things Pitt has to do t0 remain in the top level -of college football. At the end of the day. the rest of the sports are just along for the ride.The lack of facilities A weak fan base and no real commitment by the administrationto support athletics and there never has been. Add to that a low level of-donars anew female chancellor from the big ten who will -oversee Heather. Ever see two women who have strong convictions of the direction th things should go. I have. I t can get ugly real fast. Stay tuned.

That is one of many things Pitt has to do t0 remain in the top level -of college football. At the end of the day. the rest of the sports are just along for the ride.The lack of facilities A weak fan base and no real commitment by the administrationto support athletics and there never has been. Add to that a low level of-donars anew female chancellor from the big ten who will -oversee Heather. Ever see two women who have strong convictions of the direction th things should go. I have. I t can get ugly real fast. Stay tuned.
i feel like the "administration has no commitment to athletics" was something that plagued us for decades but is no longer the case, am i right?

i feel like the "administration has no commitment to athletics" was something that plagued us for decades but is no longer the case, am i right?
There have been times when Pitt's administration has specifically sabotaged athletics....late 1930s through the 40s...second half of the 1980s.

But many of the "lack of commitment" is often just a lack of realism or "Pitt isn't winning how I think Pitt should be. " Commitment does not mean all decisions are good or success is guaranteed or that it is appropriate to risk the financial security of the overall institution.

What you are seeing now is that the AD has more money than ever before thanks to the ACC, but still operates with a revenue deficit that requires institutional subsidies. Pitt, overall institutionally, is also in a FAR better situation financially than it has ever been so it has also has a greater ability to initiate projects like Victory Heights that had no chance to get off the ground when it was in the Big East; compared to so many failed attempts to launch renovations to Pitt Stadium or build a Convocation Center in the late 80s and 90s. If that reads as greater commitment, then great, but the problem is every other power 5 program is also getting greater money from its conference media deals, fundraising, and pushing NIL collectives.

It is what it is. You can dwell on the past missed opportunities but if you care about Pitt's future, things need to be done now to shore up tomorrow. Pitt can't operate in a vaccuum; it will fall behind if people don't support it.

The funny thing is many of the same people that lamented the demise of the Golden Panthers and their payments to players, are now seeing such things legalized and openly being requested of fans. But now that it is all above board, it is just too much. That is laughable. The Golden Panthers are here, and it is Alliance 412.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT