ADVERTISEMENT

My Quick and Dirty on Pitt's Offensive Performance from the Blue/Gold Game

May 9, 2008
Good
- The ball comes out very fast. This was mostly good. Was bad 1-2 times on screens that were covered and the ball got thrown anyway.
- QBs go deep every single time they see a 1 on 1 matchup down the sidelines. This is good and attempting those kind of plays is basically required in college football 2024. Some teams going against our defense seem to be ok with missing half of those attempts because they know the payoff is worth it on the other plays.
- There's a lot of easy, schemed throws on TE crossers and slants, for the QB.
- Scheme is developed for YAC. When guys catch the ball it's often in space and they should have opportunities for bonus yards.

Bad
- The timing of everything was way off. Open WRs were missed on the deep ball (both short and long). Could be a result of poor protection, new scheme, or both. I suspect that this should improve closer to the season. This is going to be largely a timing based offense so they really need to get this part figured out.
- QB accuracy issues. I wasn't able to get a clean enough view of the film to tell if this was mechanical, protection, or other. Could be all of the above.
- WRs are running really bad routes right now. Especially when they aren't the primary read. Saw more than a few WRs simply run right into a DB or LB and allow themselves to get tangled up and their progression stopped.

Reactions: Parkview57
Good
- The ball comes out very fast. This was mostly good. Was bad 1-2 times on screens that were covered and the ball got thrown anyway.
- QBs go deep every single time they see a 1 on 1 matchup down the sidelines. This is good and attempting those kind of plays is basically required in college football 2024. Some teams going against our defense seem to be ok with missing half of those attempts because they know the payoff is worth it on the other plays.
- Scheme is developed for YAC. When guys catch the ball it's often in space and they should have opportunities for bonus yards.

Bad
- The timing of everything was way off. Open WRs were missed on the deep ball (both short and long). Could be a result of poor protection, new scheme, or both. I suspect that this should improve closer to the season. This is going to be largely a timing based offense so they really need to get this part figured out.
- QB accuracy issues. I wasn't able to get a clean enough view of the film to tell if this was mechanical, protection, or other. Could be all of the above.
- WRs are running really bad routes right now. Especially when they aren't the primary read. Saw more than a few WRs simply run right into a DB or LB and allow themselves to get tangled up and their progression stopped.
The problem with the pressure in the Spring Game was the the QB was ruled down when touched. There were plenty of opportunities where either QB could have escaped the pressure to make a throw. But he was ruled down. In one instance, I believe Yarnell broke out of the pocket and was about to throw a pass, he was touched, and pulled up a bit on his throw and it wound up going into the ground. It looked like his arm was hit or it was a bad throw. It was neither. So it’s tough to tell much about this game.

At the game you could see Holstein was favoring his leg a bit. A buddy watching in TV said he tweeked his hammy a little.

Good

Bad

I'll add drops to the bad. There were far too many drops of passed that weren't difficult catches.

One for the good - Biles looks like a player.

I'll add drops to the bad. There were far too many drops of passed that weren't difficult catches.

One for the good - Biles looks like a player.

Yeah, we have like seven linebackers and five safeties who are ready to roll. Too bad you can't make trades in college football... yet.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT