ADVERTISEMENT

My Thoughts After Three

Matt Steinbrink

Head Coach
Gold Member
Nov 6, 2002
Pretty much exactly as I expected. I predicted a 4 point win over Florida State. Figured they would gather a rebound and then get fouled to end up at 4. Thought there was a chance that the ACC win could lull them into a false sense of security. How they are 2-1 and how they look right now, I did not anticipate.

A lot of concerning things thus far. Granted, it is three games so I am not going to make too many broad evaluations. This is a team that should develop and get better.

The sophomore class that I thought would lead this team has really struggled. I am not sure we need to worry about anyone leaving early. Other than Trey tonight at Robert Morris, the start of the season has been a disaster. Not ready to cancel the season yet, but I do wonder how Xavier approached the offseason. Maybe it is just rhythm and he needs to be more patient, but Xavier has been awful. It looks like he worked on the form of his shot, but it has somehow gotten worse. It has evolved to him releasing it with his guide hand far away, while elevating and sliding forward. It seems like every attempt is going to be an adventure. Either right on and through, or he can miss really badly. It is concerning.

Somehow Au'Diese has managed to be worse than Xavier. There is some benefit to his role on the defensive end, but that has been it. He has not developed to the wing yet, and he just doesn't look comfortable at all. The shot is not there, and he is so out of it that dunks and lay-ups are a 50-50 right now. If you look at his freshman season, it was just some flashes for the most part. It may be time to re-evaluate him.

Trey will be fine. He is one of the most athletic guards this program has ever seen. Pitt started to pull away tonight when they just used Murphy to keep spacing and allow Trey to create. If he can get that kind of running start with space, there is no one that can prevent him from getting a good look. They just need him to lead and stay more disciplined defensively.

Drumgoole and Coulibaly are incomplete at this point. Gerald belongs, but it is going to take some time. The size is apparent and I think he has a chance. Not sure what the deal is with Coulibaly. That leaves Justin, who I like a lot. There is just something about him. He has a knack for finding the ball. There is a pace and rhythm to his game, which is incredible for a 6'7 freshman. He is not a perfect player, but I think he could be really special.

Ryan is providing exactly what you needed. Basically Jared's replacement, but he should make less negative plays. He may be forced to play a little more than you would like. He has created some plays for others, but that is not his game. Defensively, I worry about him defending in league play.

Terrell is still Terrell. Leaves you wanting more, but he has been solid. You will never get what you want out of him, but the consistency is key. If it can just be 8, 8, and 3 every night, this team would be so much better off.

Eric is a nice addition. His minutes will likely be up and down depending on the matchup and foul situation with Terrell. He plays much smaller than his size but the athleticism and lateral quickness can be used to his advantage. His first step off the catch is incredible. He has shown flashes of rebounding but it is hard to tell how consistent it will be.

This team is still young and should get better. There needs to be less dribbling and more ball movement. Xavier and Trey still have a tendency to kill the offense via the dribble, when they would benefit by moving it and getting Murphy more shots to open things up. I also think it is an immature team. In the sense of still learning how to win. There are so many times when this team will just reach and/or gamble on the defensive end. They actually have nice stretches where they rotate well and defend, and then someone throws that away with a silly decision. Often times after a turnover as well, they compound the mistake. This team still needs to learn how to win and when to attack versus run clock, etc.

It is a much better roster than last year. The ceiling is higher. There is more depth. They just need their stud guards to play like studs. Better ball movement and more discipline on the defensive end will do wonders. If they start there, they should be competitive and it will allow them to start learning how to win together as a group.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News